Server time: 2017-10-24, 11:37
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
ProjectGnome

Fail RP with raiding bases?

Question

What are the rules regarding raiding bases? We have had 2 of our bases raided in the past week and have lost a combined 25+ m4s, 30 aks, 18 augs, 40+ pistols, 1 svd, 1 fal, 2 vss's, 1 set of SMERSH gear, 4 tents worth of attachments, 2 tents worth of ammo, 1 tent of medical supplies, 1 tent of food, all of our leather as well as having our barrels stolen. Altogether we have lost 16 tents worth of supplies.

We set up literally in the middle of nowhere and check the DayZ heatmap to ensure that the likelihood of anyone stumbling upon our base is infinitesimal, so I am suspicious as to how they are finding our bases when they take us 15 minutes stumbling through the woods to find. Due to the tent glitch we cannot even settle a new base until the DayZ devs fix the glitch where we cannot place/pack tents.

When I was reading through the forums about raiding bases they said to be respectful of other player's property and treat it as if they are sleeping so you can't rob them blind. Since landmines and beartraps are not permanent or persistent we have no way to guard our base while we are offline.

NOTE: I am employed by a group of arms dealers so we cannot do our job when we lose our entire inventory twice a week

I am not sure if this constitutes a report to the admins or if it is failing rp, but it sure is annoying as hell since I've personally devoted over 120 hours in the past 2 weeks building up our stock :P

We are a group of 4 people so a hit like this is quite devastating because we don't have the manpower to search every major military encampment at once. Consequently we are all greatly discouraged and do not want to start from scratch for the second time this week :(

**Edit: I play with an Aussie who has tracker skills so we used the heatmap because footsteps don't last for more than a few seconds ingame. In real life you can see where people have been in the woods and how many people have been through there based on trampled grass, broken branches, litter and flat out tracks. Animals aren't as clumsy as people are so a game trail and a path forged by a human look entirely different. So I can understand that it can be interpreted as metagaming but since he is a tracker we didn't see the harm in it because we are limited by the game itself.

28 answers to this question

MapleMooses    0

If you leave it unattended, anyone can search through it and take what they want.

If you catch people stealing, you can initiate on them.

It is not a rule break to "raid bases".

**Edit: Also.. do not plant landmines or bear traps to protect it.. if someone steps on it and dies, that is KOS.

(Edit#2: jokes you can. My bad.)

**Edit: Also.. do not plant landmines or bear traps to protect it.. if someone steps on it and dies, that is KOS.

Thought you could do that, if the tents were in the middle of nowhere, that is.

Kanye    14

So you're saying that in a post apocalyptic world with scarce supplies, scavenging and stealing is fail rp, but using meta heat maps to place bases makes perfect sense.

People steal shit. If you aren't moving inventory fast enough to the point you have 90 guns stockpiled, maybe you should seek a new line of business.

MapleMooses    0

Thought you could do that, if the tents were in the middle of nowhere, that is.

I mean.. I don't think so. 

The server rules are.. you must initiate before killing someone. So if you plant a mine and it kills someone without initiation, that is KOS.

We set up literally in the middle of nowhere and check the DayZ heatmap to ensure that the likelihood of anyone stumbling upon our base is infinitesimal

Technically metagaming.

MapleMooses    0

We set up literally in the middle of nowhere and check the DayZ heatmap to ensure that the likelihood of anyone stumbling upon our base is infinitesimal

Technically metagaming.

True.

If you can prove that someone is Metagaming where you base is, THEN you can post a report.

Flapjack    66

There are no rules which you can hide behind to protect your precious gear whoring. As I'm sure you're going to be told numerous times in this thread: hide it better.

I appreciate that you're potentially attempting to create an "arms dealing business"; nonetheless, if you're hoarding that much equipment...you can't expect it not to be found.

Plus, the heat map is merely of where people are killed from what I understand. So, especially when plenty of people go actively hunting for camp sites at outlandish locations...you know. Plus...I feel that's a slanting on metagaming...

Now, I am a little unsure when it comes to these rules; though, I'm pretty sure there are some circumstances where you can potentially KOS an individual when they're raiding your camp. I'll let staff clarify what exactly those circumstances are.

Melvin    84

It is allowed to protect your base using landmines and bear traps if your base is isolated and away from any major player spots. Preferably in the middle of the woods to be safe.

To the OP, all I can say is that shit sucks man, we all got that one week where everything goes sour. Join up with a large group (hinthint), borrow some men, scour the bases in exchange for a cut of the gear going to the large group and perhaps park your camp somewhere where there are people guarding it. Otherwise, there is nothing you really can do tbh. What I would do for the chance of some small roleplay coming out of it is to leave a bunch of messages in your tents. Tell them whose territory they are coming into, maybe make it a joke, it's a guest book! Always an avenue.

About the heat map thing, I am unsure but it does seems a bit metagaming as ICLY, your character wouldn't know but let's he real, you won't be the first one to use it. But, it's much better to refrain :).

Are you satisfied, OP?

Gina    26

We set up literally in the middle of nowhere and check the DayZ heatmap to ensure that the likelihood of anyone stumbling upon our base is infinitesimal,

I believe those heatmaps are more or less based on public servers, so they are not really relevant on our RP server as our players are not so much gathering in those hot PvP areas KoSing people :)

Stradic    286

I am pretty sure as long as your base is set up in the middle of woop woop you can place mines/bear traps, however you can't simply shoot someone on sight if you see them going through your stash because unless they have been informed otherwise, they have no idea whose stash it is so its best to initiate if you do catch someone in the act.

Two tips I will give in regards to this:

1- Avoid tents. They are too easy to find, I personally would only use tents to store all the crap that was simply taking space up in my barrels.

2- Do not put your stash in the one area. Spread them out far and wide from each other so if one does get found, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you can simply grab supplies from another of your stashes.

Post    0

A big issue honestly to me is that people collect too much, and when you go looking for bases, it becomes very easy to find when you notice the sudden lag and rendering of 5-10 tents.  There is no real rules against this as really it's just gear, and this roleplay is about ensuring roleplay, while gear may help your roleplay, it isn't the priority.  I advise using a smaller base or start hiding your gear in plain sight.  I hide my barrels in apartment buildings.  Look how obvious a camp can be in the woods:

[video=youtube]

Shame about having to resort to smaller stashes because camps look so cool. Any recommendation as to where we can find barrels? Someone told me that there is a set server economy for barrels and they more don't spawn when the server restarts so that is why we have had to resort to tents.

Skinner    506

If you need a few props to RP with, that's one thing. Sometimes I leave a note in my tent in case someone finds it so it is clear what props I need for RP. However, guns, mags, ammo... those are not props for RP. Anyone who comes across them is welcome to take them. If you're a weapons dealer, find more weapons and sell them. There are way more weapons than people.

Mamba    0

No you CAN use a landmine or bear trap to protect your area, as long as it is not in cities or residential areas. "Deep woods" As far as you getting your shit looted, that's all fair play. If you don't have somebody on watching it, you will likely lose it.

Castiel    1124

Do you really need ALL that stuff anyway? If I came across a massive camp in the woods with every weapon under the sun I'd rob it too.

Alexi    9

Gotta agree with Castiel, I'm sure that being an arms dealer requires a good supply of guns and can also provide some fun RP, but what you had is just way too much.

Try using barrels and staying away from tents, hiding them in plain sight as mentioned before or inside pine trees is good, try to spread them out so that if someone does stumble across the location of one barrel, they've only found a fraction of your stored supplies.

Harry    18

I believe you have got great answers from alot of people.

With that beign said i will mark this as solved but keep it open for discussion.

/Solved

Dishes    159

-snip-

What Harry said.

Is there a good place to find barrels? We find military tents all the time but have only ever found 3 barrels.

CorbSlayer    44

Is there a good place to find barrels? We find military tents all the time but have only ever found 3 barrels.

Sheds and garages are where i find barrels

BeastMade    0

If someone finds the tents or base they can take obviusly anything they want, since there is no rules against it. FailedRP? were you there when you got raided ? or even if you were looting the tents is as same as looting from ground anywhere else, you could "stay away from the tents, its ours" or something like that.

"NOTE: I am employed by a group of arms dealers so we cannot do our job when we lose our entire inventory twice a week"

Then do a better job guarding your stuff, be guarding there 24/7 if needed, Your backround story doesnt mean that no one cant take the stuff from the tents, your items in your inventory is the only items so far that is your personal.

Regarding to the lack of base rules or whatever, i hope from bottom of my heart that there will be no rules due to it, we dont need another epoch/overpoch disaster anymore.. (well ofcourse there needs to be some rules to it, but some of you might understand what i mean)

#gearRP

(edit: Dont gather so mutch gear, and gear that you dont need. you wont be so disappointed when someone comes and take them from you. )

I was the one who found your tents last night.

Sorry!

Someone just messaged me an apology on the site...are you friends with them? :)

McCoy III    7

Easy one. Don't get attached to the gear. Don't worry....if you managed to find over 25 m4s and AKs, you'll probably be okay...

Rocco    34

so in my opinion in order to trade you don't need huge tents to supply weapons. And in real life if I was surviving and found a huge base with some stuff I would loot that stuff