Server time: 2017-08-20, 00:32

Sign in to follow this  
BlazerPazer72

A Basic Guide for Kuru

Before any of you say anything, no this is not a guide on 'how to be' a Cannibal. It is a brief guide on how Kuru works and how it should be roleplayed out realistically.

I have not seen a guide on this yet, so I figured I would make one, since I notice that a lot people in game don't really play out having Kuru correctly.

This guide may not be for you, if not, I hope this gives you at least a little more understanding on how Kuru works and how you can roleplay a little more with the symptoms and such, and hope that you at least consider this all.

First things first:

Kuru IS fatal and will kill you within ONE year.

You CANNOT avoid Kuru when you eat human.

Definition of Kuru /kooroo/:

A fatal disease of the brain occurring in some people in New Guinea and thought to be cause by a virus-like agent such as a prion.

'Kuru' means 'trembling' and is also named the 'Trembling in Fear disease' or just the 'Trembling disease'.

What is Kuru?

Kuru is an extremely rare and fatal nervous system disease. It was founded in New Guinea, to which they (they being the people of the Fore /FOR-ay/ tribe) contracted it from eating human brains during funeral rituals, and reached it's peak in the 1950s and 1960s.

Kuru is similar to Creutzfelt-Jakob disease and BSE (bovine spongiform encephalpathy) otherwise known as 'Mad cow disease'. These diseases, as well as Kuru, are known as 'Spongiform diseases'.

All Spongiform diseases cause sponge-like holes in the brain, which are therefore fatal.

What causes Kuru?

It is caught by eating human brains, coming in contact with infectious wounds/sores, or in the case of DayZ Standalone, you get Kuru from eating human steak.

It is caused by infectious, abnormal proteins known as 'Prions'. Prions bind together to form lumps in the brain, becoming fatal.

The human body was NOT meant to ingest human meat.

What's a Prion /pree-on/?

Prions are proteins that are unique in their ability to reproduce on their own and become infectious. They can occur in two different forms, PrP-sen (Normal) and PrP-res (Disease causing).

For more information on Prions from the University of Utah, you can find it here.

What are symptoms of Kuru?

Symptoms of Kuru include:

-Trouble walking

-Increasingly poor coordination

-Difficulty swallowing

-Slurred speech

-Moodiness

-Muscle twitching & tremors

-Pain in the legs and arms

-Random laughing and/or crying

Malnutrition and starvation follow initial symptoms because those infected with Kuru have troubles swallowing and eating. Because of the symptoms of Kuru, those infected with it die within one year. Individuals with Kuru need assistance to stand and move. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, people with Kuru die in a comatose state within six to twelve months after the initial symptoms.

However, the symptoms of Kuru in DayZ are a little different. 

Symptoms of Kuru in DayZ:

-Random laughing and/or crying

-Muscle twitching & tremors

Your character in DayZ will have outbursts of crying/laughing which is hear-able by you and by other players, which is one of the more obvious signs caught by players. Your character will also have visible twitching of the torso, and very visible twitching when you are aimed in the sights of a gun.

Many players will 'roleplay out' eating human steak/meat because they don't want these symptoms in game, but in reality, Kuru has many symptoms that people need to consider when roleplaying a Cannibal.

It's not as simple as just eating human meat and getting away with it.

What are treatments for Kuru?

There are no known successful treatment for Kuru. According to the University of Utah, boiling water, radiation, and acid cannot destroy the prions that cause Kuru.

Is there a cure for Kuru?

No, there is no known for Kuru. 

Once you have it, you can't escape the consequences.

People don't generally think this far in when roleplaying a Cannibal, and I'm not saying this is the 'correct' way to do it, I'm just saying that there are consequences with getting Kuru from eating human brains, or in DayZ's case, eating human flesh will give you Kuru.

It's not my choice and I'm not telling anyone what to do, if you want to roleplay out eating the entire human, you go right ahead nothing's stopping you, but if you eat the brain, you will contract Kuru from it, but also if you actually eat human steak in-game, it will automatically give you Kuru hence the symptoms in-game.

Kuru is not gained instantly realistically, the symptoms can be hidden for up to 30ish years. You can get the symptoms sooner. In the end, it's just a simple guide and it's your choice to rp your character how you want if you are a cannibal, though if you contract Kuru, there are more symptoms then the ones in-game.

Not many people do research when playing a Cannibal character, so here you go

Again, if this guide is not for you, I'm glad you took the time to read through and even consider everything that was said.

And to everyone who read, I would heavily consider all the symptoms of Kuru, and roleplay it out realistically since I haven't seen Cannibalism roleplayed out properly in the Kuru sense.

Awesome thread, interesting to read.

Thank you :)

Very interesting! Never looked that deeply into it.

Thank you! That's the reason I decided to make this :)

OK, OK I get what you are saying; but what if you put barbecue sauce on it?

Ship pls

Irish    73

Hmm interesting read! Will defiantly consider this when making a cannibal character

Awesome work Miranda!

Learn something new everyday.

the-more-you-know.png

Great seeing people getting the focus on the facts so that everyone has the same baseline of information when they roleplay.

You say that kuru can not be avoided when you eat human meat. Do you only mean in game?

In real life - let's use your example with New Guinea - many people ate the striped muscle from their relatives limbs, which didn't appear to cause much harm with spreading the disease. Kuru often affected the elderly, women and children since they were the one who handled the corpses brain and often were the ones eating it. Since the brain is the most infectious organ, this would increase their chances of getting sick. There are several examples in history where people had to turn to cannibalism to survive without getting kuru, a reason for this might also be that it can take several years for kuru to develop.

We also should keep in mind that kuru isn't the only transmittable disease that you "realistically" have to worry about if you eat human meat. Bloodborne diseases like hepatitis, Ebola, HIV etc are much more common but some may be avoided by cooking the meat.

Look at this irrelevant thread pfft

Jk fam, very well done and should help people with their RP <3

Killerwelden    153

Didn't read it, but great work! ;)

SpaceCowboy    226

Very informative Blazer :)

Lyca    678

Nice Thread! <3

The thing with the permadeath. You dont get Kuru instantly. In reality it would take years to get the disease. So I dont see a problem to have a cannibal character for a longer period of time.

And another thing. Kuru is mostly caused by eating the brain or the chance that you get it is highly increased when you eat the brain.

Its not that you have a 100% chance to get it only because you eat human flesh.

Nice Thread! <3

The thing with the permadeath. You dont get Kuru instantly. In reality it would take years to get the disease. So I dont see a problem to have a cannibal character for a longer period of time.

And another thing. Kuru is mostly caused by eating the brain or the chance that you get it is highly increased when you eat the brain.

Its not that you have a 100% chance to get it only because you eat human flesh.

Mhm. You can get the disease fairly soon, but it can take years for the symptoms to show, though you will still have it.

I'm also talking more in-game as well, as you get Kuru roughly instantly, if not minutes after in DayZ if you actually eat the meat. It's more for people who want to rp out Kuru correctly if you get what I'm saying.

Thanks for your feedback though <3

Good thread, but most people probably won't read this and change the way they RP.

I'm aware, I'm not forcing people to read it, if they don't want to, they don't have to. By all means they can click away. It's mostly for people who want to read it and/or rp Kuru out and stuff y'know. I could care less if people read it or not, it's mostly for shits and giggles tbh.

*Learns more in the forums , than IRL* 11/10 would read again . +1

Wonderful guide Blazer!

Glad you did this, and good effort of your part :)

Well written and a good guide for players RPing as cannibals. I will for sure use some of this information while working on myb current character. But I though Kuru could only be contracted if the individual being eaten is also infected by it. As such not every single person eaten would yield the disease. I would rather it be more of a chance based thing, increasing more and more after each time you consume meat. And since it is extremely rare, there is a chance you would not contract the disease.

Well written and a good guide for players RPing as cannibals. I will for sure use some of this information while working on myb current character.  But I though Kuru could only be contracted if the individual being eaten is also infected by it. As such not every single person eaten would yield the disease. I would rather it be more of a chance based thing, increasing more and more after each time you consume meat. And since it is extremely rare, there is a chance you would not contract the disease.

Kuru is extremely rare yes, because people do not preform anything like rituals like that anymore, though the disease can still pop up in those who preformed funeral rituals in New Guinea because there can be an incubation period where the disease is hidden. You will get Kuru if you eat a human brain, the symptoms may just not show for years, which is why the disease is so rare now. But, in terms of DayZ, it's the apocalypse, many people are cannibals so I can imagine that the chance of getting Kuru would rocket higher. You don't have to be infected with Kuru for someone else to eat your brain and gain it as well. Not everyone will wield the disease no, but if you eat a human brain or in DayZ's case eat human flesh, you'll get Kuru.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this