Server time: 2017-10-19, 22:00
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
hexicGrind

Silly reason for declining my backstory on whitelist application

Question

hexicGrind    0

My application was declined because "you cannot simply travel east using a compass to get from the US to Chernarus".

The person clearly made an assumption about my story and then declined my application for it. In my backstory, I mentioned that my step-father had previously been discharged from the U.S. Army for PTSD. At no time did I say that we lived in the U.S., or even specified where our house was. I'm hoping someone on the staff can see the ridiculousness of this situation here, and help me out. That way I don't have to acknowledge this crazy reason for turning down my story, and reapply to add one sentence to my backstory that I NO LONGER LIVE IN THE U.S.

Btw, my backstory was already almost 3 times the minimum length, so I assumed a modicum of implied "you get the idea". For clarity and transparency, I will post my backstory below so staff are better able to assist me. Thanks!

"My step-father was different after he was discharged from the U.S. Army for PTSD. My mother and I didn't blame him of course. His fixation became preparing for what he called "the inevitable". We supported him, thinking it was a small price to pay to make him feel safe. Night and day he worked for months to build us an underground bunker. When he wasn't working on it, he was perfectly normal, and so for a time, things were good.

One night, my mother didn't come home from the store. For three days we tried to retrace her steps while we listened to hollow reassurances from the police that they were "doing everything in their power to find her". The first Infected we ever saw was in the parking lot of the grocery store my mother had gone to when she went missing. Even though we were only close enough to see the Infected as it tackled and began eating a woman across the parking lot, we were immediately suspicious when it jumped up and charged another person, and then another, before finally getting run over as it neared it's fourth attempted victim.

I spent the entire rest of the day trying to convince him that it was an isolated incident (to keep him calm). That night, our neighbor from a few houses down tried to eat a neighborhood dog in the middle of the street while his family, and several others, watched. We didn't wait to see the conclusion. The bunker was only partially stocked but we took all of the supplies we had in the house down there and sealed ourselves in.

I didn't talk much after that. I was a computer programmer before, and in this new life, I clung to the safety of the bunker, never daring to go outside. Instead drowning myself in a sea of books. My step-father left every night for several hours to either sit in the house to wait for my mom, or wander around looking for her. One day I woke up, and he never returned. I went out to look for them, rarely at first, then with gradually increasing frequency. It was six months before I ran out of supplies. I learned to avoid people at all costs, only going out of my way to search hospitals and clinics whenever possible for supplies.

One day while reading the logs of a children's hospital that was located in an unusually rural area, I realized there was a trend in the time and date of when Infected first presented at the hospital. The farther east I went, the earlier the Infected were encountered. Ever since, I have used this system as a compass to tell me where the epidemic originated. So today I find myself in Chernarus, the birth place of the greatest threat mankind has ever faced. Only a madman would risk his life looking for answers, but it's the only thing I have left to hold onto. It's the only thing that still makes me feel human. Maybe one day I'll find something else worth fighting for."

11 answers to this question

hexicGrind    0

Staff are super busy currently, could just be an oversight. My suggestion would be to PM a CH or go onto Team Speak and wait in Help Desk then explain it to staff. Could be a very easy fix

Very helpful. Thank you!

Doc Phlox    24

Staff are super busy currently, could just be an oversight. My suggestion would be to PM a CH or go onto Team Speak and wait in Help Desk then explain it to staff. Could be a very easy fix

Very helpful. Thank you!

No problem dude! Glad I could be of some assistance. 

Edit- I don't see on your back story where you come from, that could be why staff thought it was USA. It states he (the father) was discharged from that service, but not where he ended up, you may want to clarify that to the Staff

hexicGrind    0

Very helpful. Thank you!

No problem dude! Glad I could be of some assistance. 

Edit- I don't see on your back story where you come from, that could be why staff thought it was USA. It states he (the father) was discharged from that service, but not where he ended up, you may want to clarify that to the Staff

Yeah I assumed it was a misunderstanding because I mentioned that he was discharged from the army. I just don't want to have to go through the whole process of applying again over a trivial technicality. Especially since we are limited on the number of applications we can submit.

I will change the status of this thread to Solved when this issue is finally resolved.

Bradley    0

Hello hexicGrind

you backstory is really detailed and really well done overall but i see why the staff never accepted you. Okay if you are traveling from the US to chernarus you would of had to take a boat or a plane to get to the place were dayz it set thee is no way that you are walking there because as you said you traveled there by following a compass if you see from this map ,that i have linked, you can see that the US in there and Russia is here   there is no way that you are walking that far and to link to the lore there are places that you have to travel through like "Chernarus borders both Russia, Takistan" you should of said that you got on a plane to Russia and traveled around there moving from place to to place until you stop in the land of Chernarus that would of made more sense.

I never read all of you backstory just some of it so if i have said anything then please correct me thanking you!

Conor    254

Your denial reason actually contains a lot more information than you mention in this thread.

This is the message you received as to why you were denied: "You need to explain how you made it to Chernarus, saying that your father was a us soldier leads us to believe you are from the US, you cannot simply travel easy using a compass to get from the US to Chernarus, please elaborate"

I was not the Admin who reviewed your backstory but if I had been, I would have denied it also with the same reason. As the message says, you need to explain how your character came to be in the country at the time of the outbreak.

It is only your first attempt, you still have four more to go. If you require further help with your backstory, feel free to contact a Loremaster.

/Solved

hexicGrind    0

Your denial reason actually contains a lot more information than you mention in this thread.

This is the message you received as to why you were denied: "You need to explain how you made it to Chernarus, saying that your father was a us soldier leads us to believe you are from the US, you cannot simply travel easy using a compass to get from the US to Chernarus, please elaborate"

I was not the Admin who reviewed your backstory but if I had been, I would have denied it also with the same reason. As the message says, you need to explain how your character came to be in the country at the time of the outbreak.

It is only your first attempt, you still have four more to go. If you require further help with your backstory, feel free to contact a Loremaster.

/Solved

You pasted the non-paraphrased version of my denial reason, and told me that I still have other attempts so I should just accept the reason I was declined. I am still looking for a response to my assertion. And btw, thanks for marking my thread as Solved...

I am looking for a response to my assertion, that "my application was denied over an assumption made by the reader". I will be emphatically clear here since it seems people are skimming my posts. The assumption made, was that I lived in the U.S., when at no time did I ever say I lived in the U.S., or even specified where my house was. I mentioned that my step-father was previously discharged from the U.S. Army. That does not mean I live in the U.S.

Does this seem absurd to anyone else?

Plank    0

Hi hexicGrind! If I may, I'd like to offer some advice.

Your character backstory is well written and very interesting! I would have to agree, however, that it would benefit greatly from having a bit more information about where your character grew up, and if not in Chernarus, how he got there. Think of it as an opportunity to flesh out your character further, and add more layers to his personality. :)

I have no doubt your next whitelist attempt will be successful. :) Looking forward to seeing you around soon!

Oliv    1882

One of the biggest reasons I've seen people get denied for a back story is due to how they ended up in the region, specifically Chernarus.

Although you are right, it doesn't say you are in the US, it is also missing some very key details as to where you were, and how you ended up here.

Imagine reading a book or watching a movie and something just happens with no explanation. The reader or the viewer in that case can't just be expected to know, they want to be told.

Keep it up though, looks like you have a pretty good story on your hands.

Goku    63

-snip-

You pasted the non-paraphrased version of my denial reason, and told me that I still have other attempts so I should just accept the reason I was declined. I am still looking for a response to my assertion. And btw, thanks for marking my thread as Solved...

I am looking for a response to my assertion, that "my application was denied over an assumption made by the reader". I will be emphatically clear here since it seems people are skimming my posts. The assumption made, was that I lived in the U.S., when at no time did I ever say I lived in the U.S., or even specified where my house was. I mentioned that my step-father was previously discharged from the U.S. Army. That does not mean I live in the U.S.

Does this seem absurd to anyone else?

Sir if I may, your backstory is impressive and well thought out, however as the admin who denied your backstory I also find that without knowing how your character got to Chernarus/where he lived previously it does hinder the backstory you have written. If you were to add in to your story where he lived before the outbreak, how and why he is in Chernarus I wouldn't see a problem with your backstory but because your backstory does not include these things the reader has to make assumptions as to where your character lived before getting to Chernarus.  

I hope this answers your question.

hexicGrind    0

One of the biggest reasons I've seen people get denied for a back story is due to how they ended up in the region, specifically Chernarus.

Although you are right, it doesn't say you are in the US, it is also missing some very key details as to where you were, and how you ended up here.

Imagine reading a book or watching a movie and something just happens with no explanation. The reader or the viewer in that case can't just be expected to know, they want to be told.

Keep it up though, looks like you have a pretty good story on your hands.

Fair enough. You make a fair point. Sorry about that. Thank you guys for your feedback!