Server time: 2017-10-23, 11:41
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Azeron

Persistence & Gear/ The Issue of Gear RP

Azeron    0

I have been a member of DayZRP since December of 2014, and and played almost daily up until April of 2015. During that time I had loads of meaningful RP including gunfights, robberies, and trading situations. I witnessed wars between groups, betrayals, coastal slave trades, and a multitude groups enforcing a reign of terror for a week or two before being crushed by those who sought to end them and their brutal ways. Not once did I have a situation where there was an abhorrent disregard for RP for the sole sake of gear.

As I have witnessed in-game since the release of 0.60, I have never seen so many people seemingly underage, and only out for the "Gear RP". I remember back when I played previously that persistence did not work so there were server restarts every 4 hours or so. There was plenty of gear so the focus was more on RP than anything else. With persistence instituted, albeit a good idea, I'm not so convinced it's working. Maybe it is due in part because of the now high traffic on the servers and/or the slow or non-existent spawning of loot with persistence itself.

I have found the immaturity of some players with their lust for gear has gotten to the point where there are groups of people who by chance run into a single individual and rob them instantly. They say "Hello" and then immediately initiate, handcuff them, take what they want, and leave not 5 minutes after even spotting this unlucky soul. How is that RP? They want the gear is that's all they care for.

I was on S3 one day this week and the server had a hard reset, and it actually spawned in all new loot. It was hilarious to see mobs of people swarm tents practically salivating at the opportunity the reset had given them.

I was curious if anyone else was noticing this issue? And if loot actually spawns in persistence because to me it doesn't seem like it does. Everything is barren and it drives some players to just fail RP rob people for their stuff.

Darion    154

There are many other threads that complain just like this...

It happens every time this community gets influx of players.

Complaining is not going to change anything

There is 4 options IMO

1.Ignore it

2. Help them learn (Teach them)

3.Wait until the ones who really dont care get banned or leave.

4. Leave yourself

but making countless thread on the same subject is not gonna solve anything

Blu    42

There is 4 options IMO

1.Ignore it

4. Leave yourself

Pretty much summed up +1

Post    0

It happens when there's a wave of new players. We have large content creators making videos, .60 release, and summer time. This is sadly what happens, we get good people, and we get bad people. The herd thins quickly though, and those who are only here to rob others get weeded out very quickly. You just have to stick with it, and know it does get better, it really does. Those who want to really roleplay here and are new will standout, and they will endure. Sadly some bad apples ruin the bunch, but we get a lot of great roleplayers in these waves.

Brodie    43

Me myself had this situation last night, where a group of eight randomly initiated on three friends of mine, luckily I was within 500m at the time, my friends fled towards Devils Castle, where one of my mates had to stop to go AFK in a bush. This bush being beside a dirt road not too far from Devils Castle. Somehow these guys managed to find and follow my mates. So, they ended up tying up my AFK friend, while my other two friends were at Devils Castle watching them. They began to look through my friends gear, even when he got back, they continued to take as they pleased. So after barely rping with him, and saying some really weird and trolly shite to him, I began to open fire, I ended up killing four at that time, while one of my other friends killed about three. Then it came down to the last guy. I ran back up onto the dirt road behind a man looting a corpse.....in the middle of an active firefight. I took a couple shots which hit, and he ran behind cover shouting, "Woah, woah, woah!!", In which my other mate began speaking to him, the man then began shooting my friend, so I turned and shot the man, but he ended up popping one shot off at me, due to me being already low on blood from getting shot at.

So IMO, it's not everyone that's focused on gear, and it's definitely not just the new people either. People need to remember this is DayzRP, RP standing for Roleplay, if people want to get gear and kill people for gear ect, then play on pubs, your RP shouldn't only consist on doing Ten Second robberies just or gear, I've seen it all too often now that .60 is out, including massive groups of people, that have alot of gear, such as those lads I was in a firefight with last night, nearly all of them had M4s or Augs ect, it's mental.

Azeron    0

***Okay, just to clarify my question a little bit more clearly without so much background:

Even if it is a complaint I don't see how it isn't a valid question about persistence. Currently I am thinking that persistence is at the core of the problem, not the players. So I would like to know if loot is spawning with persistence. I know that loot is staying with persistence, that much is obvious to me. But either loot is not spawning, or it is spawning very slowly from what I can derive.

And is running up to someone, saying one, maybe two, sentences in greeting and initiating, following through a quick robbery by looking at their gear and taking what you want, and just leaving without further RP development, acceptable? Why is it on me, the common player, to teach these people how to play. I taught myself by taking the time to learn. I know that's a tricky problem that can not easily be fixed, but just spit-balling here.

Brodie    43

-Snip-

That's why we need the Mentor System that Mental suggested m8.

Giraffel    95

Regarding the persistence and the "lack" of gear, the way persistence works now is that if you take an item a new one will spawn but in an area of the map that is not close to you, idk what the radius is exactly. So this means that if you don't travel you won't be able to find a lot of stuff, with people mainly focusing on certain areas and not willing to go around the map most of the people have a hard time finding stuff they want, especially high valued equipment. That is why robberies for gear happen and it's totally okay to take someone's gear if you focus on RP more, but with these new players who don't have a lot of experience on the server the situations can be highly gear focused. I agree with four options Samurai listed, that's pretty much all the stuff you can choose to do.

Autumn    127

There is 4 options IMO

1.Ignore it

4. Leave yourself

Though harsh, this sums up everything you spoke about. There isnt one set solution to your question. That is why I generally make stashes with enough gear to get me going again in a situation such as the one you've provided.

Though I'm not a CH. Would you consider your question solved?

Brodie    43

If I may ask the OP, why is this a question? You're kind of stating an opinion......

Quick Edit: Plus, you're looking for other people's opinions, I wouldn't regard this as a question thread.

Dishes    159

Moved to General Discussion

By //DustinRay

Brodie    43

Moved to General Discussion

By //DustinRay

Thanks very much, DustinRay <3, Not you Dishes :P.

Azeron    0

If I may ask the OP, why is this a question? You're kind of stating an opinion......

Quick Edit: Plus, you're looking for other people's opinions, I wouldn't regard this as a question thread.

Post #6 was to clarify my question. I suppose general discussions is a good spot, just posted to questions because in the past I posted in the discussions and got moved to questions. Guess I can't seem to pick it correctly lol.

As for the question itself, the question of persistent spawning is interesting. Since everyone hangs around the military gear spots on the western portion of the map, it would then seem that no gear would end up spawning? Generally on an active day my group and I may travel from Vybor, to Myshikino, all the way to the southern coast, and up back around to Stary, then NWAF, and Green Mountain (where we never find people anymore sadly). Just looking for some good RP and some meaningful encounters.

Brodie    43

Post #6 was to clarify my question. I suppose general discussions is a good spot, just posted to questions because in the past I posted in the discussions and got moved to questions. Guess I can't seem to pick it correctly lol.

As for the question itself, the question of persistent spawning is interesting. Since everyone hangs around the military gear spots on the western portion of the map, it would then seem that no gear would end up spawning? Generally on an active day my group and I may travel from Vybor, to Myshikino, all the way to the southern coast, and up back around to Stary, then NWAF, and Green Mountain (where we never find people anymore sadly). Just looking for some good RP and some meaningful encounters.

It's due to .60, Loot spawn is different, unless server restarts of course, also, these servers are ment for persistance, so, gear gets quite uncommon after a while, and since everyone basically has an M4, Aug or Ak101, everyone's looking for some 5.56 rounds for their guns. So, yano, it causes everyone to look for gear upon server restart. A.k.a Everyone's lookin' for gear, so, like, gear becomes veryyyyy scarce.

If you're looking for good RP, just be patient, it'll happen bud, I've ran into loads of people as of late, and had some amazing RP, shout out to Chelovechki, Akrasia and Zbor.

Edit: You could always look at the Changelog for DayzSA.

Kryold    0

I've noticed it quite allot, it has happened to me a few times.

Allot of people lose their gear because of the .60 persistence and they get mad, they want their gear best so they rob the first person they see for gear.

It's quite annoying.

I've lost my gear a couple of times because of the bug, but i just RP like someone stole my stuff while i was asleep instead of getting mad and robbing the first person i see.

Voodoo1314    2

I never understand when people complain about the lack of loot! I believe this state of the central loot economy is one of the best for getting loot; it is so easy to get guns and military gear that used to be rarer (if that is what you're in to)! Yes, one has to get used to where things now spawn but it really doesn't take long!

Nonetheless, this does not make 'gearRP' acceptable. I would put the blame in the player for not wanting to adapt to the new system rather than the actual system! Essentially, the old saying: 'A poor workman blames his tools'.

Aiko    650

I really dont think that persistence is the problem at all, its realistic its the people who just want gear and nothing else. Because that is what all the new players believe is RP, that is what they see in videos is being a bandit and such. I wish more of these people watched videos that weren't just PVP, like Roaches videos. I am not saying that other youtubers cant rp, I am just saying they should be shown the awesome rp that can happen as well as PVP. The amount of bad reports are about members who already have really good gear, but they simply want more. Which it should be more about the rp, why are you robbing someone, when you have a M4A1. Smersh and all the fixings. The person your robbing has a Talon bag and no gun! That doesn't make sense at all right?

I agree that the Mentor program will be a good thing, that is if the new community members actually sign up for it and want to try it out. A good portion of them could care less about getting better at rp. I wish these new community members would sign up, and run with a actual bandit like group. So they can learn the ropes, and what not. Yet at the moment, to me it looks like maybe 80% of them dont want to learn at all. Even if we have the mentor system up.

I thought it could be a interesting idea, that if someone is reported for bad rp that maybe be forced into the Mentor system. So that people can teach that said person to rp and learn correct ways of doing it. If they deny the mentorship, its obvious they are not here for the rp.

Oldman    22

Is persistence actually working fine tough? I had some items dropped somewhere, because I could not carry it and wanted to test out the system. They were gone next day. I doubt someone took all. Or am I mistaken and do items not stay were they are?

Aiko    650

Items don't stay there the whole time, They have a timer after you drop them. Much like a barrel or tent, if they aren't used for a while they will also despawn. Think of it as if someone has a stash, and has allll the barrels the server has. It wouldn't be fair that you cant have those barrels, because that person doesn't play. So it after a while, it despawns them, and puts them around the map after a certain point.

Kanye    14

Just the summer rush mate, give it till mid July when the kiddies head out on vacation with the family, then September when they're back to school.

Melvin    84

The gear problem isn't really that pronounced tbh. Went to Myshkino and saw a pile of cargo pants on a tent with a mountain of rice. It is more of wanting to save time, I guess.

Connvexus    36

Unfortunately it's gonna be like this probably forever.

Maybe when Rolle/the staff team can control how many items spawn etc? But I doubt it.