Server time: 2017-10-17, 17:08
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
WillB

Backstory Ideas

WillB    0

I've been looking around, and I've noticed that there are a lot of common backstories, military related, vacation, etc. What I had in mind was completely different. So would a character that has multiple personalities be feasible? Not necessarily any crazy personalities, but just someone who has say two or three different ones. For example they would have the same name and remember the same basic info (where they are from etc) but other than that they share no memories (unless they both learned about said thing). Another thing is the character could either be aware or the personalities (to an extent, as in they know it happens.) or they could be completely unaware. 

I personally could see some pretty good RP coming out of this. Say they were running with a group of people, and suddenly they stop and start looking around, asking where he/she was and who the people they were with. Now at this point they would be disorientated and confused, but not going crazy. I personally think this could be preformed extremely well, as they could either switch randomly or events could lead up to it orthey could 'feel' it coming, for example stressful events. The only problems I see with this is interrogation situations and combat situations, as that complicate them or be used as an excuse to get out of them. Although it could be RPed around. Any opinions?I was planning on doing something akin to this, but if it wouldn't work let me know! Or anyways it could be improved upon! Of course this wouldn't be trollish in anyways, completely serious RP.

MapleMooses    0

So.... someone with a personality disorder, but nothing toooo crazy?

I've seen this happen a few times, but its not toooo common. I think it would be lots of fun if you could keep it up and not get anything mixed up!

Aiko    644

I dont usually like tooting my own horn but. http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Indecisive-Identities

I play dissociative identity disorder, which is now what is called instead of Multiple personalities. It can be done, and be done well if you take the time to research reason why it happens and why people switch to their alters. I have a total of 5 and a unknown 6th that could come out at sometime. If someone messes too much... "Luke" cough...Anyway. I would be happy to go over this more with you if you wish. ^_^

Some people play it as well, and I do not play it a crazy extent. I in fact have a child alter, a sexual alter, a drug addict alter, the personalities you can create are endless really. But it is best to look into it deeply to play it off correctly.

WillB    0

I've seen this happen a few times, but its not toooo common. I think it would be lots of fun if you could keep it up and not get anything mixed up!

Yea pretty much, no running around screaming etc etc! Sorry I made it a bit over complicated, I wasn't sure if it has been done before! I'll just have to keep track what personality I'm in, shouldn't be too hard. If it has worked in the past, I think I'll try it once applications are open again!

Something to consider, which this is very much real, is to use real life instances. there are massive amounts of people with identity disorders throughout the world. So I would definitely like to see these sorts of things be brought to RP. I mean consider all the behavioral disorders in the world today...they would very much still exist in society if there were an actual "apocalypse". I think its a great idea as long as its well planned in advance.

MapleMooses    0

Yea pretty much, no running around screaming etc etc! Sorry I made it a bit over complicated, I wasn't sure if it has been done before! I'll just have to keep track what personality I'm in, shouldn't be too hard. If it has worked in the past, I think I'll try it once applications are open again!

Goodluck with it! It sounds like you'll enjoy it.

WillB    0

I dont usually like tooting my own horn but. http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Indecisive-Identities

I play dissociative identity disorder, which is now what is called instead of Multiple personalities. It can be done, and be done well if you take the time to research reason why it happens and why people switch to their alters. I have a total of 5 and a unknown 6th that could come out at sometime. If someone messes too much... "Luke" cough...Anyway. I would be happy to go over this more with you if you wish. ^_^

Some people play it as well, and I do not play it a crazy extent. I in fact have a child alter, a sexual alter, a drug addict alter, the personalities you can create are endless really. But it is best to look into it deeply to play it off correctly.

Well that certainly sounds cool! I'll definitely look do some hefty research into it then. All of those alters do all sounds incredibly interesting, especially the child one! It would be great if you could go over it more, I'm pretty interested in the topic already and really enjoy the idea of RPing as a character like this, obviously not a copy cat of course!

Something to consider, which this is very much real, is to use real life instances. there are massive amounts of people with identity disorders throughout the world. So I would definitely like to see these sorts of things be brought to RP. I mean consider all the behavioral disorders in the world today...they would very much still exist in society if there were an actual "apocalypse". I think its a great idea as long as its well planned in advance.

As you said they are very much real, I don't know much about these type of disorders as of now, but could they even be worsened (switches more often) by an apocalyptic event such as this? Of course I do plan to do a very large amount of planning.

Well that certainly sounds cool! I'll definitely look do some hefty research into it then. All of those alters do all sounds incredibly interesting, especially the child one! It would be great if you could go over it more, I'm pretty interested in the topic already and really enjoy the idea of RPing as a character like this, obviously not a copy cat of course!

As you said they are very much real, I don't know much about these type of disorders as of now, but could they even be worsened (switches more often) by an apocalyptic event such as this? Of course I do plan to do a very large amount of planning.

You are correct, I've dealt with many of these in people. They can become more or less frequent based on events happening in life. More common of a reason is lack of treatment, but surroundings can affect the person to the point of severe "episodes".

Aiko    644

From my research into the matter, most of the time the DiD comes out through childhood abuse. Both physical and mental abuse, most the time it would be before the age of 6 that this happens. The child would thus create a personality or change there state of being to help cope with what happens to them. Each of the personalities helps the "Original" in some way. So for instance take my alter Siren, who is my sexual alter. She showed because of sexual abuse, she would be the one to take most of that away. She is also what many DiD call, the protector alter. She shields all the others from pain, weather it be from mental or physical abuse. She is triggered by many different things.

Here is a site I use to look through different alter types, and you an read up on it ^_^

http://traumadissociation.com/alters

Things like a apocalypse can make it so alters show more, with more stress and emotions. Its easier for a alter to come out, with heightened emotions. The Original shouldn't really remember much of its past, the alters are there to in a way shield him/her from the abuse she/he had. Alters can remember memories from other alters, and so on. But its most likely they dont know about each other at all.

WillB    0

You are correct, I've dealt with many of these in people. They can become more or less frequent based on events happening in life. More common of a reason is lack of treatment, but surroundings can affect the person to the point of severe "episodes".

Well I would personally think that in the apocalypse there would be a lack of treatment as clinics are no longer in business. Resulting from that the episodes could be more often and severe (maybe losing some memories). Once again I'll have to do some research into how these disorders work to plan this properly.

From my research into the matter, most of the time the DiD comes out through childhood abuse. Both physical and mental abuse, most the time it would be before the age of 6 that this happens. The child would thus create a personality or change there state of being to help cope with what happens to them. Each of the personalities helps the "Original" in some way. So for instance take my alter Siren, who is my sexual alter. She showed because of sexual abuse, she would be the one to take most of that away. She is also what many DiD call, the protector alter. She shields all the others from pain, weather it be from mental or physical abuse. She is triggered by many different things.

Here is a site I use to look through different alter types, and you an read up on it ^_^

http://traumadissociation.com/alters

Things like a apocalypse can make it so alters show more, with more stress and emotions. Its easier for a alter to come out, with heightened emotions. The Original shouldn't really remember much of its past, the alters are there to in a way shield him/her from the abuse she/he had. Alters can remember memories from other alters, and so on. But its most likely they dont know about each other at all.

Thanks for the research link, I'll be taking a extensive read through that tonight. Knowing that the alters mainly come out through childhood abuse I'll take that into account in my backstory, I have some pretty interesting ideas already about that! 

I have also started reading the story you wrote/are writing about your character. Very intriguing so far, and I'm liking it. In the first part I noticed that Siren took over while Lily was remembering the bad scene from her childhood.

Anyways, about the apocalypse, could it be possible for more alters to show up during it? Say I where to have four alters at the start of the outbreak, and a couple years in another one forms due to some sort of experience. Also, because the alters are there to shield or help the original they would come out more often based on the stress level? From what you said about how heightened emotions play a roll in this It would seem so. About the part of how the original wouldn't remember much, in the occasion that they are the one in control would they remember things such as where they grew up and other basic facts, but not the details about such facts? Also I appreciate all of the information! :D

Aiko    644

From what I have read up on, the "Original" hardly is ever seen. This would be the one who was abused the most, and is very shy and weary of anything and everything. All of the alters would try their hardest to keep this one inside at all costs. It should be only shown to those who the "whole" trusts. So all of your personalities must have a connection and trust to a person to let this one be seen. But in the case of the "Original" remembering things, yes she can remember where she was born and the likes. But its mainly the abuse and a good portion of their memories would be gone.

Keep in mind that all of these personalities can have a different background then the "Original." So say your gender is Male, you can have a female alter who lives in like England. This does happen more often than not. The "Host" as I call it, is the one dealing with everything. Lilly is the Host, she remembers some but not everything. Siren has the bulk of the memories, and the "Original" is a secret still for my story. ^_^

WillB    0

From what I have read up on, the "Original" hardly is ever seen. This would be the one who was abused the most, and is very shy and weary of anything and everything. All of the alters would try their hardest to keep this one inside at all costs. It should be only shown to those who the "whole" trusts. So all of your personalities must have a connection and trust to a person to let this one be seen. But in the case of the "Original" remembering things, yes she can remember where she was born and the likes. But its mainly the abuse and a good portion of their memories would be gone.

Keep in mind that all of these personalities can have a different background then the "Original." So say your gender is Male, you can have a female alter who lives in like England. This does happen more often than not. The "Host" as I call it, is the one dealing with everything. Lilly is the Host, she remembers some but not everything. Siren has the bulk of the memories, and the "Original" is a secret still for my story. ^_^

So all of the different alters can have completely different backgrounds? In the article you linked I had heard about it in the video, but I didnt realize it was that extensive. I will keep this in mind. My backstory is going to most likely be pretty long! I also would quite enjoy have some sort of female alter, although the chances of me having a decent feminine voice is quite low. Although I think it could work without it!

Aiko    644

You dont have to do a different voice really, but I enjoy doing them so its fun. Players look at me oddly when I am a full grown woman, running around as a child. Its quiet interesting to see, and then those who know Lilly are trying to get the child to calm down. Its a sight to see I will tell you. :3

This is a good video to see how alters can act different and what not.

This is another good video.

Just got to look for them is all. ^_^ I dont mind if you come and talk to me in TS, or follow me about IG to see how it pans out sometimes. I wont be on TS till tomorrow morning though, so if you wish to talk about it. Might be easier eh?

WillB    0

You dont have to do a different voice really, but I enjoy doing them so its fun. Players look at me oddly when I am a full grown woman, running around as a child. Its quiet interesting to see, and then those who know Lilly are trying to get the child to calm down. Its a sight to see I will tell you. :3

This is a good video to see how alters can act different and what not.

This is another good video.

Just got to look for them is all. ^_^ I dont mind if you come and talk to me in TS, or follow me about IG to see how it pans out sometimes. I wont be on TS till tomorrow morning though, so if you wish to talk about it. Might be easier eh?

I can imagine! I definitely sounds like its an interesting time. Also it would most likely would be easier to discuss on TS like you suggested! Ill see if I can hop on sometime tomorrow and we can talk more in depth about it! And I would be more than happy to follow you around in game after I meet you, I have a feeling it would quite fun and enjoyable to witness and take part in! Although I'll have to wait until white-list applications are open again on Monday to join you IG.

Aiko    644

I wouldn't mind that, I think some friends of mine might have video of Poppy and Siren. Lilly as well, in fact I think Roach as a episode of Siren that I think. You can take a look at that if you want. ^_^ But Ill be on in about 7 hours I sure we will chat soon. Any other questions dont be afraid to ask. Along with anyone else, who wants to learn something about making a interesting background or character.

I am sure there are many people here who have information for you, and who can help you make a awesome character. :3

WillB    0

I wouldn't mind that, I think some friends of mine might have video of Poppy and Siren. Lilly as well, in fact I think Roach as a episode of Siren that I think. You can take a look at that if you want. ^_^ But Ill be on in about 7 hours I sure we will chat soon. Any other questions dont be afraid to ask. Along with anyone else, who wants to learn something about making a interesting background or character.

I am sure there are many people here who have information for you, and who can help you make a awesome character. :3

I think I'll try and find the video! It may help give me an example of how I could preform it! Right now I don't have any more, I got a lot of reading to do and formulating to do! I'll most likely have more tomorrow, although Ill ask those over TS or pm. Thanks for all the info and help! Also if anyone had any suggestions of what I could do, different alters etc, I'm completely open!

Greg-Smith    0

I'm a newcomer to Dayz RP, and your immersive backstory ideas have definitely given me the stepping stone I needed to coming up with my own innovative story.

In terms of RP, do any of you think it is better to keep the story short and simple or come up with a really detailed account?

Kryold    0

Just try to be original, maybe use your own life story and add some details to it like: How you got to Chernarus and stuff

WillB    0

I'm a newcomer to Dayz RP, and your immersive backstory ideas have definitely given me the stepping stone I needed to coming up with my own innovative story.

In terms of RP, do any of you think it is better to keep the story short and simple or come up with a really detailed account?

Well I wouldn't know whats better, as im currently in the application process as well. But I know for a fact mine is long and detailed.

*Throws inspiration*

Thanks for the Inspiration kind Sir!