Server time: 2017-10-22, 12:00
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Melvin

A small proposed rule.

Melvin    84

We always heard of that age-old advice of not going the banditry route when you first started out and I thought...damn why not make it official?

Restrict anyone who recently whitelisted from initiating or robbing someone in their first month.

The only problem I can think of is how this might prove troublesome for newcomers and I am open to suggestions!

My proposed solution is that if they are accompanied by a mentor or an experienced member of the roleplay with them, they may then do the initiating.

If you are caught in a report of badrp from a bad initiation or robbery, the punishment will be harsher if it is found that you are still in your first month after being whitelisted.

Thoughts? :)

Edit : I like to emphasize that this rule is not a concrete guideline to completely ban out initiations, but more of a warning like "Dude...you can initiate but you better know that you are going to get quite the ban if you mess up."

Castiel    1124

Hard to enforce definitely but I do agree, this would be a good addition if possible!

Melvin    84

It is more of a deterrence by having an extra perhaps 5 points or 2 days in the punishment along with having the whitelisted removed. :)

That would just be too much ruleplay. I mean wouldn't a roleplay server allow you to make your own choices!? If they don't work out your way, well then you will pay for the consequences. Also, how would you know if someone that robbed you joined this month? You wouldn't. I think it would be too hard to implement this rule, plus I just don't like it.

Sorry, -1 for me :D.

Blu    41

Could hurt RP if new players are unable to do hostile RP as some can be very good at it.

Melvin    84

That would just be too much ruleplay. I mean wouldn't a roleplay server allow you to make your own choices!? If they don't work out your way, well then you will pay for the consequences. Also, how would you know if someone that robbed you joined this month? You wouldn't. I think it would be too hard to implement this rule, plus I just don't like it.

Well. If a report is launched, the accused has to be called in, innit? Then, a rulebreak would have occurred and yeah, you would know then. ;)

Sparky    0

I dont even know...No? Please? I like when the Whitefellas try things

BAM BAM

Well. If a report is launched, the accused has to be called in, innit? Then, a rulebreak would have occurred and yeah, you would know then. ;)

Okay, but still. It would be so UNFAIR for the new players. Think about it, they get robbed and after a roleplay session they get to leave. 10 hours later the people that were robbed find the robbers. They can't take revenge because they are restricted by that rule.

A month seems like quite a long time? Especially if people are playing every day or at least multiple times a week and racking up a great deal of hours on the server.

And as Castiel said, how do you enforce this without a rule having to be broken in the first place?

Marcunt    240

Restraining new ones from robbing everyone they see the first few weeks sounds good to me. The only problem I maybe see could be that the wait might hype them up even more before going on a robbing-spree but that it unlikely.

Kaplyn    0

I think this would be to hard to enforce.

I'd rather see any rule break done by a player that have been member of <1 month result in std. punishment AND the white list revoked.

But what if you're an old member who had to rewhitelist, or if you get punished to rewhitelist?

Melvin    84

If a rule wasn't broken, then that means the robbery went well and this rule isn't needed. However, if the person screws up, he gets a harsher punishment.

This serves as a "oh wait hmm..." moment when the person is thinking of initiating, and would reduce the instances of bad robberies imo.

@TheLimited That's a very fair point. That is a way where the person could abuse the rule. In those cases, I believe it's an exemption.

I like to emphasize that this rule is not a concrete guideline to completely ban out initiations, but more of a warning like "Dude...you can initiate but you better know that you are going to get quite the ban if you mess up."

Thank you for your viewpoints!

Rolle    2968

I think that would result in even more reports? People reporting new people who initiated on someone? What if a new person initiates because they were previously robbed by someone and simply get revenge, is that also forbidden? Where would we draw the line?

Nah, I don't like the idea of restricting the RP to that point and making it even more complicated for the newcomers, they already need to remember dozens of regulations and procedures.

Melvin    84

But what if you're an old member who had to rewhitelist, or if you get punished to rewhitelist?

Yes in both cases. If you are an old member, you may need a refresher on the rules. However, it can be slimmed to 1 or 2 weeks.

If you were punished, then all the more, you already broke a rule :P

Edit : Added to the OP!

Mellstrom    21

Nope Nope Nope, Too much restriction and it would never be able to be enforced.

Melvin    84

It doesn't need to be enforced. It is only when a report is launched, and the accused found to be in his first month, that the punishment is harsher. :)

I see where you stand though!

How can they get better at hostile RP if they aren't allowed to do it? Just seems pointless imo and will result in even more reports for staff to handle.

Melvin    84

This rule encourages them to learn it from the experienced members in this community!

They are allowed to do it. Just that if they mess up, their punishment would be greater.

However, yeah, salty people would just throw up the report and it might worsen the problem, I do agree with you on that! :)

This rule encourages them to learn it from the experienced members in this community!

They are allowed to do it. Just that if they mess up, their punishment would be greater.

However, yeah, salty people would just throw up the report and it might worsen the problem, I do agree with you on that!  :)

I see where you're coming from, but giving them a worse punishment than more experienced members sounds sorta... Weird? I sorta feel that it should be the other way round. :D

Melvin    84

However, yeah, salty people would just throw up the report and it might worsen the problem, I do agree with you on that!  :)

I see where you're coming from, but giving them a worse punishment that more experienced members sounds sorta... Weird? I sorta feel that it should be the other way round. :D

Mm, a great point! The objective behind this rule is to deter new guys from initiating too recklessly which I believe would cut down the number of reports as more newcomers would slow down and go "...Is that really worth the potential 7 days?"

However, ehhh, I am not the sharpest fork in the cabinet and if you have a better idea, hell,  throw me one and I'll fit it in! :D

Vector    0

We should not be entertaining the idea of restricting the possible roleplay scenarios of newer members, If they choose the bandit life then we can try and guide them in the right direction but only they chose to retain such information. Sure there will be more reports of gear RP and poorly executed robberies but these are not all new members.

Oliv    1884

I'm fine leaving it currently as it is. Many people who go this route and up making mistakes and learning very much from them, to ultimately become amazing RPers and hostile RP providers.

I agree with you that newer members should refrain from banditry and hostile RP until they are aware of what is expected from them, but those that don't learn will be weeded out very quickly by the report system we currently have in effect.

Husky    0

Nah, it's their own responseability, they may be new but it's up to themselves to respect the current set of rules and roleplay standard.

Syoto    0

As a new person to this community, I don't really see the need for this rule. Mostly because of personal experience, as me and my group haven't tried to rob a single person since we got here about a week ago, because we are starting off slowly, just interacting with people, instead of going straight to the deep end and robbing everybody, and I feel other new players are doing the same thing. Yeah, there'll still be people who rob people with no concern for the rules, but why punish a large majority because of a small minority?.