Server time: 2017-08-19, 17:01

Sign in to follow this  
ButteryPancake

What's the most common backstory people use for their characters?

I'm new to DayZ RP and I want to make a very unique character. I was wondering what is a common backstory that people have? Like one example is, Oh i lost my son when we came here I need to find him! and another one is about like being an ex-military solider. I want to stay away from these type of backstory's, but I find it hard to think of ones were the roleplay would be fun and enjoyable for others and myself. Any ideas?

Dishes    159

-snip-

I'd say refrain from this ;)

More ordinary, none special characters are my personal favorite.

#1 Story ever told: I am a Soldier. Came here to help. Dropped in helicrash. Was the only survivor. Survived alone for months, killing bears and wolves bare handed. I'm the best sniper there ever was, and have no fears what so ever.

#2 Was some random guy/soldier that came form the plane crashed in Chernogorsk's Hotel. Was the only survivor.

#3 Came here for business. If I tell you the rest, I will need to kill you.

Samaritan    251

Definitely something involving a plane crash or involving the crashed ship in the north-east of the map.

Mekelych    0

I chose a rather interesting character this time, I decided I wanted to be a photo journalist who despises killing and will only do so if it is needed for his life.But I definitely recommend that you go with something that involves some kind of plane crash or ship wreck, because I can't see how you swam to Chernarus.

Burgz    6

My plane fell out of the sea and on the way down in my near death experience I became a complete bad-ass super 1337 soldier that kills zombies with his bare hands.

You could be a national living there at the time, you could be a tourist. There aren't too many ways you can go with the story and you most certainly won't find a completely unique one, but as long as you give it a shot.

Good luck, Rambo-Schwarzenegger out.

I chose a rather interesting character this time, I decided I wanted to be a photo journalist who despises killing and will only do so if it is needed for his life.But I definitely recommend that you go with something that involves some kind of plane crash or ship wreck, because I can't see how you swam to Chernarus.

Maybe you were on a road trip? By the love of god, did you think Chernarus was an island? Guess what m8. It's not:

520px-ArmA2_Chernarus_factbook_map.jpg?version=c469c12494b0a52672629d40d9285726

Lankin    102

I am literally Rambo, I have guns that shoot guns that shoot more guns, did I mention I can 360 no scope someone from 500 yards.

My advice would be to just have a simple first character. Learn to RP on the server, experience the different kind of RP that happens. Make friends with experienced players and let them guide you, mainly not breaking rules. You will probably find that your simple character will end up surprising you on how interesting he will become.

My first character was basically just me, but I made him a police officer and an all round good guy who was against killing people. Over time he developed and lost his mind due to things he done. And was killed by his best friend. Pretty good story arc. Completely surprised me.

Good luck.

I'm thinking of some soldier who was stationed curing the civil war/unrest and once he finished his service decided to settle down there- he really liked the canned beans. Lol.

Aiko    573

If you want a unique character try and stay away from any type of extreme military plane crash. Being Military or such can still be unique, but just have to make it so. Other stuff that is a little over done atm is crazy/mental disorders. Such as Schizophrenic, Psychotic, Multi-Personalities, and so on. Though if you really want to try a character like that. Try looking into interesting guides, they can give you ideas. Like this one for crazy rp http://www.dayzrp.com/t-GUIDE-RolePlaying-Crazy-in-a-Crazy-World

This one here http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Loremaster-s-Character-Development-Guide-FAQ might answer questions about what your character can an can't do pertaining to the lore. What I do want to mention, is that the best character I com across are the ones who do the research required to them. They know their backstory and it makes sense. Those are by far the best characters to run into, because they know what they are and can just blend into their character.

Though, just normal people can be very interesting as well. They can get into problems that make it so interesting really. Maybe read through some Lore threads can also help you out.

I was sent to live with affluent relatives in a popular gated community after physical altercations during pick-up sports games in my neighbourhood.

Unknown Entity    126

I'm thinking of some soldier who was stationed curing the civil war/unrest and once he finished his service decided to settle down there- he really liked the canned beans. Lol.

Very common. And in all honesty not very lore friendly if you're a foreign soldier.

This was a chernarussian / chedaki war. I don't believe foreign people were involved in any way.

You can play a chernarussian nationalif you want to go down the civil war thing. If you want to be a foreign soldier I'd guess the containement of the virus route would be better, but then again it's not original

The prison is also a common one. I'd avoid that.

Maybe you were a soldier from a different country who has not yet been to chernarus and only coming now? You'd need good reasons as to why. The typical looking for my son and all that could do it, but I'm sure with a bit of imagination you can find something different.

McCoy III    7

My character is American who got stuck here while visiting relatives of my wife who lived in Svetlo. Keep it basic and let the RP shape your story!

...or you could just be an ex-Navy seal who is also an expert survivalist, mechanic, and sniper...no one ever does that.

Allow me to quote an excerpt from my back story. Be gentle as this is an original story and totally not a series of famous movies.

My name is Jack Sparrow. I came to Chernarus to reclaim my pirate ship "The black Pearl " after my first mate and crew mutinied against me and left me on a deserted island. In order to escape, I needed to shave my back hair and use it to make rope. With my new back hair rope, I lasso up some sea turtles and make a raft from them, sailing until I am picked up by a local merchant vessel,

I don't want to spoil anymore so I will leave it at that.........in all seriousness just read the lore, it is pretty simple to look at that and get an idea of timelines and the events that take place. You could be a hiker, a fisherman, a native of the country. Possibilities are endless just use your imagination and don't steal your backstory from Disney movies.

Buster    3

''I came to this island on a hunting/fishing trip and my plane/boat crashed/sank.''

And the ole' faithful = ''I woke up on the coast''

Very common. And in all honesty not very lore friendly if you're a foreign soldier.

This was a chernarussian / chedaki war. I don't believe foreign people were involved in any way.

You can play a chernarussian nationalif you want to go down the civil war thing. If you want to be a foreign soldier I'd guess the containement of the virus route would be better, but then again it's not original

The prison is also a common one. I'd avoid that.

Maybe you were a soldier from a different country who has not yet been to chernarus and only coming now? You'd need good reasons as to why. The typical looking for my son and all that could do it, but I'm sure with a bit of imagination you can find something different.

"but after a few months of long standing political unrest the Chedaki were defeated largely in part due to the military assistance of the United States."

I think you're confusing my guy for having been active military while this happened, I wrote like five or so paragraphs of history saying why he did the military which was to only pay for college due to his family lower income. He basically did a tour or two in Iran before his final

Tour happened in Chernarus, having been dismissed after his four year contract he decided to settle down in Chernus hopeing that the government would be looking to hire people with Criminal Justice degrees.

His motives of having been to Chernarus in my opinion is indeed very common, but his reason for having come back and stayed is to me personally not common. Not many people are willing to come back to a nation rebuilding looking for steady work to escape whatever personal demons they had in their home nation (oh wait they do in real life at times though uncommon). So from a lore and realistic stand point I believe I've made a solid background which isn't to overly flashy but is personalized enough that it makes sense.

EDIT: In other news I got accepted, just checked.

Hate it when i meet someones, ask for their past occupation and they say

"I was in the NAVY or the US Army" or something along those lines. Don't have a problem with it but it gets a little overused.

Something unique, hmm ...

Lads holiday? Kappa

Marcunt    218

*cough* supersoldiers *cough*

Just stay away from the action-movie characters, man. Make one that doesn't know every combatstyle in the book, a normal person so to say.

Spartan    1003

Definitely something involving a plane crash or involving the crashed ship in the north-east of the map.

sadly enough, someone told me that 2 days ago...

giphy.gif

Windrax    0

i would like to see someone that have got their memory wiped. remember only waking up in the woods maybe near some tents. and maybe have some talents that you remember but not what you did with them and why you are here.

Blu    21

i would like to see someone that have got their memory wiped. remember only waking up in the woods maybe near some tents. and maybe have some talents that you remember but not what you did with them and why you are here.

[video=youtube]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Samaritan    251

-Gives me a sad face-

How about a plane that crashed into the ship in the north east of the map, that could be original.

If your trying to go for something unique, don't go too out of the box. People tend to do that and come up with really over the top cannibals, or just straight unrealistic characters. If you want unique, go with depth not a gimmick. My first character was a corporate lawyer working for Monsanto's in Chernaraus to settle a legal dispute regarding local farmers crops contaminated with a GMO. It was nothing out of the box, and it worked to establish something a little different from the norm.

Spartan    1003

-Gives me a sad face-

How about a plane that crashed into the ship in the north east of the map, that could be original.

how about a ship that crashed into the Cherno hotel? that would be actually impressive :D

WillB    0

Most of the ones stated seem like they would be popular. I think the photographer would be a good choice!