Server time: 2017-10-21, 19:41
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Banana Duck

I hate to moan on my first day but..

Banana Duck    13

My personal opinion 

OOC Direct chat kills RP, I really would have thought in servers like this a microphone would be mandatory, my first experience today was with one talking guy and one who didn't, I was busy getting engaged with a face to face with this one man asking if he'd seen my wife and getting a good reply, at the same time conversation was halted to read the direct chat, both me and the guy who was talking stopped.

I just find it extremely bizarre that such a thing is allowed.

I simply want to understand why? I'm not looking to cause friction or anything, just some insight.

Rolle    2963

There is no side chat? And you're not allowed to use OOC in chat unless it's something important.

I think you need to fix your post :)

Post    0

When you mean OCC side chat do you mean players that text roleplay?

DayZRP is about allowing all forms of roleplay, we don't want to restrict that to a single method of communication. We encourage you to do *emotes*, radio transmission, and write lore and stories. Not everyone feels comfortable talking verbally for a variety of reasons, and we allow players to type as a means of communication. Everyone has the right to roleplay here via VOIP or text.

Brodie    43

There is no 'Side chat', there's only Direct Chat, Vehicle Chat, Global Chat(Used by Staff) and Private Messaging or whatever you'd call it used by Staff.

Direct Chat would be used for IC actions or someone using it to communicate with people, as some don't have microphones, don't like to talk, or can't ect, unless of course they put // before their message, then it is OOC.

Also, Text Roleplay is a very normal and good type of roleplay in my opinion, I've met alot of people that Text Roleplay and they're amazing at Roleplay. I also don't see your issue here, you can continue having your conversation while reading chat, or just ignore chat unless said person is trying to communicate with you ect.

Chow    45

Text RP'ing is a big part of this community, plenty of good RP'ers who only use text.

The only way for a person to talk OOC would be with the // prefix.

Post    0

I will say though it's a bit unfortunate .60 really changed the text box location and size, it is sometimes a bit harder now to see text sometimes. I know I have missed a few messages.

Banana Duck    13

Yes sorry direct, but don't you think that zaps a great deal of realism out of everything? Maybe its just me coming from microphone only RP games, I gather this is something that's never going to change?

Ghoozov    272

If I as well as everyone else understood correctly, what you mean is textRP, right? Depending on where you're coming from and what type of RP you've done before, it might take some getting used to. However, there have been multiple threads and discussion in the past about textRPers. I cannot find all of them, but here is one, that might be worth the read if you have concerns about textRP.

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-How-some-people-see-TextRPers-and-a-talk-about-Russian-RP-and-the-Accent

Hope this helps. ;)

Banana Duck    13

If I as well as everyone else understood correctly, what you mean is textRP, right? Depending on where you're coming from and what type of RP you've done before, it might take some getting used to. However, there have been multiple threads and discussion in the past about textRPers. I cannot find all of them, but here is one, that might be worth the read if you have concerns about textRP.

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-How-some-people-see-TextRPers-and-a-talk-about-Russian-RP-and-the-Accent

Hope this helps. ;)

The only concern is that I'd rather not engage with a textRP person, not saying that I won't but imo its a real damper , I love RP but I can't take that serious it totally kills the immersion in a game like this. I'm sorry if this upsets some people, it's just an opinion.

Ghoozov    272

Hope this helps. ;)

The only concern is that I'd rather not engage with a textRP person, not saying that I won't but imo its a real damper , I love RP but I can't take that serious it totally kills the immersion in a game like this. I'm sorry if this upsets some people, it's just an opinion.

That's your opinion and I respect that. Just keep an open mind. This has been said so many times it has become a cliche - but some of the best RPers on the server are textRPers. As I said, give yourself some time. Maybe you'll get used to it.

Eagle    409

Hope this helps. ;)

Fully understand your points but this is something like you said will never change if you want some more insight on what people think of this Here  were some solid points made.

Husky    0

I don't see what everyone's problem with text RP'ers are, sure some can be tedious if they type slow but other than that there should be space for both RP styles.

Banana Duck    13

I was just a bit took back to join and the first 2 people in encountered were voice and text mix, It just threw me off I guess.

Autumn    127

Coming from someone who text RPs as a girl and as a mute I can see why you might think this. But, the truth is when you require a microphone, you seriously pigeonhole and narrow the avenues of RP that can be done for everyone. Not to mention some people have to be quiet during certain times or the background sounds just totally kill their voice.

Just keep in mind that text rpers are just as good as VOIP rpers and everyone out there is here to deliver you good rp!

Husky    0

I was just a bit took back to join and the first 2 people in encountered were voice and text mix, It just threw me off I guess.

A lot of people including myself use mic and text.

Text for talking of course.

And text for emoting stuff you otherwise wouldn't be able to due to the lack of animations.

Stuff like *Lights a cigarette* or *Rolls eyes*

Banana Duck    13

I don't see what everyone's problem with text RP'ers are, sure some can be tedious if they type slow but other than that there should be space for both RP styles.

Well put yourself in a the real world situation, it just seems massively unrealistic to me, and a drain to RP, I feel i've stirred up some old bee's with this thread, it's just my opinion, I happy to let the thread sink away tbh.

A lot of people including myself use mic and text.

Text for talking of course.

And text for emoting stuff you otherwise wouldn't be able to due to the lack of animations.

Stuff like *Lights a cigarette* or *Rolls eyes*

That's understandable, I would happily do that too, but this chap was suggesting that "I go calling my girlfriend name" and other stuff, I just kept disconnecting from the chat and wanting to stay immersed, but also not seem rude to the texting chap.

SatansNightOut    105

I've never used a microphone and yet, people voted for me.

Husky    0

You're completely entitled to not like text RP, just don't go around and ignore people who do it based on that and you should be fine, and then again, a lot of text RP'ers do it for various reasons, they're either shy or they come from a different community based on text perhaps.

Plank    0

Sometimes shit happens. I'd rather let someone know OOC if one of my three cats is causing carnage and I need to attend to that for a minute. People are generally very cool and understanding. Just gotta use it as sparingly as humanly possible.

Sorry you feel like you've had a bad experience. Hang in there, we will change your mind! :)

People text RP. Deal with it.

I myself text RP sometimes and NO ONE ever has a problem with it, I don't mean to sound rude or anything but I'm kind of tired of seeing people complain about it.

Banana Duck    13

You're completely entitled to not like text RP, just don't go around and ignore people who do it based on that and you should be fine, and then again, a lot of text RP'ers do it for various reasons, they're either shy or they come from a different community based on text perhaps.

I do apologise for coming in and moaning and if i've upset anyone, I wanted to get a more clearer understanding to textRP, I hope I've not come off a grumpy sod, I really am not, it's just a bit bizarre for me to experience that as the norm.

Skeetsi    0

- Monthly I don't like text-RPers -thread

- Someone comments that some of the best RPers they've seen do only text-RP

- We come to a conclusion that text-RP is fine

AmIrite

I mean seriously there are so many of these threads and they all follow the same pattern

McCoy III    7

I'd agree. TextRP can ruin emerission to a point. But I definitely agree that some people may not be comfortable with talking, which is cool...also some people may not have a microphone or be able to buy one. I've come across a bunch of people who TextRP very well, and rarely someone who takes forever. With that said, yeah it's never going to change.

Post    0

Well put yourself in a the real world situation, it just seems massively unrealistic to me, and a drain to RP, I feel i've stirred up some old bee's with this thread, it's just my opinion, I happy to let the thread sink away tbh.

I don't understand what you mean, massively unrealistic?  Because someone is writing in text that doesn't mean they're physically writing on paper and you're reading it.  They're communicating to you that would be considered by voice.  I really don't understand how you're getting it's unrealistic?

Plank    0

I'd agree. TextRP can ruin emerission to a point. But I definitely agree that some people may not be comfortable with talking, which is cool...also some people may not have a microphone or be able to buy one.  I've come across a bunch of people who TextRP very well, and rarely someone who takes forever. With that said, yeah it's never going to change.

You also have to consider a number of factors, such as people playing while other members of their household are sleeping or otherwise require quiet, or playing a character of another gender, or simply a lack of a functional microphone.  

There are some bad ass text roleplayers in this community.  When you meet one, you will see what I mean.  :)