Server time: 2017-08-21, 10:23

Sign in to follow this  
Stiflex

BadRP or Justified banditry?

Question

Stiflex    111

Hey'a, so I've talked to a mod about this situation, he said everything was fine and this shouldn't be a reportable offense, and I don't want anyone to think that this is. It's not.

So basically I now have a mortal enemy, named Vincent (I found his name out IC, not by checking pulse), who's been already banned for an offense that happened literally 10 minutes ago from him robbing me. Here's the thread: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-S2-GearRP-BadRP-Reasonless-Robbery-Leaving-Victim-in-un-survivable-conditions-21-06?highlight=vincent - Calling for Corgui

Which I find hilarious, since he's obviously just hunting for loot and doesn't care about anything else, but its completely justified. Here's a video on this situation:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fW1BLqFBhU

Back-story: I drove past the person who was locked up, I wanted to help him but someone else came to him and helped him out, I proceeded to drive past, then drove to the military tents where Vincent took advantage of the "stepping-out" animation, which takes about 3 seconds to run towards me and stick me up. I refused to do so, because he had a sporter and I had an AK, it was foolish of me not to try and fight back as it took him an entire mag to put me down. And I woke up and the video shows the rest.

Everything I said in the video is not out of character, by the way. Everything typed is also justified as the handcuffs are indeed broken, I tried to wiggle myself out for about 20 minutes and it didn't do anything.

After the video where it cuts, the person in the thread where I linked above, rushes me and basically keeps me in line and then proceeds to rob me of my car, I saw him previously on the road and told him all about some man who robbed me is the same man who probably robbed you. He instead chose to be friendly towards his robber (the person he reported and got him banned for 7 days ironically) later I told him he can have my car if he kills this person, which i found out his name is Vincent since as you heard in the start of the video, he had friends as he was speaking on TS, they ran up to him and said "Hey is that you vincent" to which he responded yes. Essentially Corgui let his robber go and then robbed me of my car instead by putting a gun to my head, now at that point I had scavanged a shotgun with ammo on my back, where I saw Vincent climb the mountain, instead they left me stranded (all of the robbers) with no food, no vehicle and basically ran/drove off with all my gear (which honestly I don't care about, I wanted a fun experience, and being robbed twice in about 5 minutes by two different groups of people is hilarious but not as funny as corguis actions)

In the end, my question is - how is this sort of gameplay "style" looked upon? Robbing people just for because "your gear is shynier than mine, give them to me or die". Also what would you guys make of such a situation? I'm new at DayZRP and would like to know.

5 answers to this question

Well here's the truth in my opinion, content creators bring a lot of players into the game, and those content creators create content that has heavy action to keep viewers entertained. That gives viewers often the perception that DayZRP is heavily about robbing people, but it's not. No one is going to watch a video though of people sitting by a fire talking, and building a camp, you know? DayZRP is about developing a character, meeting people, surviving. It's not about gear. That's why the whitelist has you write a character background story, so you have something to share to others, and a story to tell. Robbing players should have a reason behind it aside from wanting specific gear such as they're starving, revenge, interrogation, disrespected, or short on supplies. The short on supplies is a bit of a gray area, this means if you really have nothing, and are desperate. It doesn't mean if you're fully geared and need MORE stuff.

It's bittersweet right now as we're having a huge wave of players come into the game, and they replicate what they see in videos. Some are here to roleplay, and some just want to be the "bad guy." The most popular form of roleplay is robberies. It takes time for people to learn that gear isn't what is important on our server, some learn that quick, and others sometimes have to get a short ban to learn that lesson. Above and beyond all this is a roleplay server, and simply going around robbing everyone for gear when you already have plenty isn't a valid reason, and those players get weeded out quickly. They also lose interest quickly too when they find out this is a server about roleplay, not just gunfights and gear.

Every situation is different. If people want to engage in robberies it's fine, but you have to give your victim an enjoyable experience. You have to have a good reason to rob people, and not just doing it for gear when you have plenty. Just stick it out, you'll experience some bumps in the road, but over time as I said those players who are really interested in character development roleplay stay, and those just wanting fights leave by their own choice or staff's choice.

Dishes    159

I believe Post answered this question pretty perfectly. You just have to toughen through this as everyone else is, this man was already given a ban for the robbery he previously committed so I don't believe there's really much else to do here. 

Has this answered your question then? 

/solved?

Stiflex    111

I believe Post answered this question pretty perfectly. You just have to toughen through this as everyone else is, this man was already given a ban for the robbery he previously committed so I don't believe there's really much else to do here. 

/solved?

Yes, his post tl;dr would just be deal with it. However I would like to talk to Corgui about the situation, no hard feelings, just interested to know if he knew what happened. You can /solve the thread.

/solved?

Yes, his post tl;dr would just be deal with it. However I would like to talk to Corgui about the situation, no hard feelings, just interested to know if he knew what happened. You can /solve the thread.

No, no, I am saying you have to sometimes put up with some incidents like this. If you feel wronged or feel these player(s) have only a fixation on gear instead of developing a story or roleplay, and you did not have an enjoyable experience you're always welcome to file a report. Sometimes roleplay doesn't always benefit both sides, and one side feels cheated. That happens, it's not all perfect especially in this present time with many new players learning the rules.

GreekGodx    120

As what Post and Dishes have stated, if you believe you have been wronged and your experience with someone in-game is not enjoyable. You are all for in making a report. Of course, with the recent influx of new players because of content creators, we are going get people who may never have roleplayed before, and it maybe our job to either help them improve or have them face the consequences.

/solved