Server time: 2017-10-22, 13:56
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Skittyz

Navigation Tips?

Skittyz    1

In all honesty for me navigating is like trying to cross a icy lake in high heels, very tricky. Now I always get to my destination no matter how much back tracking I need to take but its still a challenge none the less. Now what im asking is how do all of you guys personally navigate, cause I could surely use some tips!

Jamie    1422

I spent a lot of time in the mod being a designated pilot flying hueys and such. You could perhaps hop on arma2/3 and fly around the map getting to know particular hills and landmarks. Worked for me.

AndreyQ    0

I played this game so much I know the map better then my neighborhood and that ain't a joke.

You will get better at it as time goes by. My suggestion is have a map with you IG. And look at it while travelling, it can help a bunch.

Skeetsi    0

Navigating? Just get north and never leave the triangle, easy to navigate around there.

Seriously though get a compass and open a map. Look for hills / easy landmarks to spot and navigate using them.

signs are your best options, follow the signs, use the compass and the map and you cant go wrong. if you stray into the forest, run in one direction, either you hit a road or debug. If you hit debug, run the opposite direction.

Learn the roads, highways and short cuts. Or go with friends, go a certain route once every 2 weeks

Humans are creature of habbit, if you do something for 2 weeks, even if it's just once, it'll burn into your memory, once muscle memory set in, it's like learning how to ride a bike.

Dont try to remember too much, just go a certain route daily and then slowly expand

DatBlueWolf    39

Get a compass in game and out of game a map. Basically figure out the angle you need based on landmarks then just run in a straight line occasionally looking at your compass to confirm the angle.

Skittyz    1

I usually get North by going to Cherno then going to Green Mountain then following the road. The problem is I want to start expanding from the basic triangle cause as ive had experiences and heard from other people you can have much more unique roleplay experiences out of it, and hell who doesn't like a change once in awhile?

Chow    45

Experience..

You will eventually learn the map.

Dishes    159

I've got 1185 hours in this game and still don't know which way is North... so it can be hard for some people >.>

Navigate by the clouds..

But seriously, ehmm.. Find a town and look up the name of the town on dayzdb, then look at the roads and stuff and you'll know where is north. Also, yeah, if you play it a lot you'll know where you are anytime. Hell, place me anywhere in the game and i'll know almost immediately where I am. Even in the middle of a forest xD I do envy you, the game was much more an adventure when it was all new to me.

Pontiff    190

Use the sun during the day. It raises East and sets West. During the day it follows North-East - South-West axle. Meaning that it roughly is North-East in the morning and South-West in the afternoon.

Other than that, try to have a landmark for each key location, like the Towers in either Cherno' or Novod'.

Cheers !

kody311    3

experience, time in game, memorizing landmarks, studying dayzdb standalone map. I got lost everytime I played when first starting out, its just like moving to a new town, in time you'll be able to navigate dayz with ease.

I pull up a map on my phone and use a compass to match road curves and town names to the map. Helps to have multiple points of reference to double check direction: For example, if I'm going from Pogorevka to Sosnovka, I know I should be able to see the Green Mountain radio tower on my left.

Plank    0

1. Trust your compass.

2. Powerlines lead to towns. Towns have signs.

Take my two cents damn you.

Go on a public server and play. Learn the map. Pull up Isurvive or DayZDB. Know your North, South, East, and West. It takes time to learn the map, but you will get the hang of it eventually.

LoneStarrr    84

I often times find it helpful, if you know your general area, to find particular twists/splits/intersections in roads and look for the on the map. The amount of times this has helped me figure out where I was when I was lost is too many to remember.

TheRealHero    2

I have never used a compass, it depends on the person. I have the skill of remembering roads in real life which helped me a lot on DayZ Standalone, on the other hand I have a friend which always gets lost. I can easily get from all the coast to NWAF without even checking the DayZ map since I have my own routes which I remember because of different points of reference like rocks, castles, farms or even towns, memorising these helps you to track a route in your mind that you follow.

I can easily travel without using the map, unless I need to go at a town I don't usually pass by, for example Pogorevka is not in any of my tracked routes so if I want to go there I will use the sun or check the map and notice that if I go to the Green Mountain coming south and at the entrance I turn 90 degrees and keep going fowards I will end up in Pogorevka. Once I did this next time I will be able to find Pogorevka even without the trick because I will remember it's North East of Green Mountain. It's not even complicated, compass is kinda useless in my opinion, since even if you are not good with remembering routes you can always check the map and by following roads end up at your destination.

Once you travel a lot around you will get used to traveling, unless you are really bad with remembering routes in general.

Aiko    650

You sound like me, well I have gotten better over time. But before I would get lost walking from Novy to Stary and that is a big like, WTF its right there! I got better by following people who knew where they were going. I stuck to roads at first when I didn't have someone helping me. I ALWAYS have a compass on me, and that has saved me more than you will ever know. I do carry a IG map, but I dont like the IG map I dont think it gives you enough at all. No town names, or anything. I use Izurvive to help me. I started to slowly venture into the forests, and I am actually getting better!! Yay me!

Irish    80

Just use like IZurvive or Dayzdb while you run around and you will just gradually learn the map, for the longest time IZurvive was my best friend :P

Vertigo    0

signs are your best options, follow the signs, use the compass and the map and you cant go wrong. if you stray into the forest, run in one direction, either you hit a road or debug. If you hit debug, run the opposite direction.

Learn the roads, highways and short cuts. Or go with friends, go a certain route once every 2 weeks

Humans are creature of habbit, if you do something for 2 weeks, even if it's just once, it'll burn into your memory, once muscle memory set in, it's like learning how to ride a bike.

Dont try to remember too much, just go a certain route daily and then slowly expand

This pretty much sums up my first experiences in the mod. I was intimidated by the size of the map back then and tended to stick to the coast, as did most people in those dayz. Eventually I began playing with others and we felt confident enough to begin branching out onto different paths and roads to other nearby towns. From there we just kept branching off until we eventually found ourselves traveling to the northern reaches of the map frequently.

Also, The use of outside maps like Dayzdb are useful at the cost of breaking immersion. Sometimes I enjoy just wandering off in a direction and trying to get lost. Ive found many cool terrain features this way.