Server time: 2017-08-20, 23:10

Sign in to follow this  
theh5

Why does the DayZRP lore use the server creation timeline?

Question

theh5    7

Hello, the lore says ''While the lore dates back to the origins of the infection in 2014, the server's date reflects real life. This means the current date in real life is the date within the server...'' Why not follow the timeframe of the Standalone was first released? Standalone was released in 2013 December 16. Which would mean that the outbreak didn't occur the 2014 October 7th as the lore state but somewhere Before 2013 December 16.

Why use the post-standalone Creation - pre-server Creation as a start for the infection and not the Standalone release itself?

Couldn't decide whether to post this in Lore & Stories or Questions.. So here it is.

74 answers to this question

Phoenix    1056

Hi there.

We have our reasons for leaving the lore the way it is but maybe a loremaster can give you a little bit of a more detailed overview of why things are the way they are.

/Moved to questions

Is not like we are gonna change it now. It was like that because when the SA servers were implemented people wanted the lore to be current like 1 week after the infection.

Conor    243

Standalone came out when we still had our DayZ Mod servers and they were still being played on.

When the Mod servers were closed at the end of 2014 and we switched to Standalone, that is where the Lore starts from.

theh5    7

Uh... Because we don't want to?

Really not sure what else to say, why would we start from when Standalone was released?

Why wouldn't you?

Jamie    1181

Uh... Because we don't want to?

Really not sure what else to say, why would we start from when Standalone was released?

Why wouldn't you?

I believe it's fine the way it is. We've had it like this for a while, and it makes no significant different on the gameplay or the lore.

Goku    61

I am fairly certain it was because Mod was still very much active in 2013, Standalone only took effect around September/October of 2014 Therefore we used that fact as to when the infection started in the Standalone Lore.

Does this answer your question?

theh5    7

I am fairly certain it was because Mod was still very much active in 2013, Standalone only took effect around September/October of 2014 Therefore we used that fact as to when the infection started in the Standalone Lore.

Does this answer your question?

It does but Conor said it first.. Just saying.

Masulii    24

Alright, seeing that your question has been answered, I will mark this /solved 

[spoiler=Explanation]

Standalone came out when we still had our DayZ Mod servers and they were still being played on.

When the Mod servers were closed at the end of 2014 and we switched to Standalone, that is where the Lore starts from.

If you still have questions about this topic, feel free to ask them

theh5    7

Ok now I have a followup question, rather than posting a new thread I'll just ask it here.

At what date did we the players beginn playing? It can't be 2014 October 7th as civilization was still alive and cars and such. We beginn later. So when? November 11 2014? - According to the lore this date the when Chernaus and neighboring countries had fallen to the virus. Would that be the date or much more after or Before?

Masulii    24

I am fairly certain it was because Mod was still very much active in 2013, Standalone only took effect around September (late)/ October (early) of 2014 Therefore we used that fact as to when the infection started in the Standalone Lore.

Like Speedster said, the infection started late September / early October 2014

Also, couple quotes from the lore:

[spoiler=Quotes]

The first known carrier of the infection was as an unidentified assault victim on October 7th of 2014. He was found late in the night inside of his car that was parked on the shoulder of a road.

On the 11th of October - four days into the outbreak - the infection was spreading throughout a handful of towns in the western regions of South Zagoria, and it began to gain international media attention.

So, basically our timeline starts from the "1st Standalone server" our community had and we started our lore from that date (It is around the start of the infection). Of course, not all of the people were playing on that date exactly but there were people playing Standalone aswell. We also had the Arma 2 mod of DayZ during that time.

theh5    7

I am fairly certain it was because Mod was still very much active in 2013, Standalone only took effect around September (late)/ October (early) of 2014 Therefore we used that fact as to when the infection started in the Standalone Lore.

Like Speedster said, the infection started late September / early October 2014

Also, couple quotes from the lore:

[spoiler=Quotes]

The first known carrier of the infection was as an unidentified assault victim on October 7th of 2014. He was found late in the night inside of his car that was parked on the shoulder of a road.

On the 11th of October - four days into the outbreak - the infection was spreading throughout a handful of towns in the western regions of South Zagoria, and it began to gain international media attention.

So, basically our timeline starts from the "1st Standalone server" our community had and we started our lore from that date (It is around the start of the infection). Of course, not all of the people were playing on that date exactly but there were people playing Standalone aswell. We also had the Arma 2 mod of DayZ during that time.

The problem with that is that the people who first began to play on S1 never saw friendly NPCs,hospitals with infected people, the military fighting the zombies. They just spawned one day and they where pretty far into the apocalypse *if not* the post-apocalypse. The thing is that I want to know the date they took personal Control over their fictional characters and ran around looking for loot in the lore timeline. The S1 server was started in October 7th of 2014, right? And therefore the lore was so that the infection began that day. But the players that played the server that that wasn't imerged into a Chernarus of NPCs working, a normal country. They spawned in a infected city. Since the lore cannot, will not, be changed to correct this the alternative is to say that during this time your character was without you the player until >insert date< when Chernarus had been overrun and you started controlling your character with the ASWD buttons and your mouse. That is what I wish to know.

Rolle    2453

Well, that's a problem that people in 2014 had to deal with. Now we are 2 years into the outbreak so the problem is non-existent for us, the condition of in game world and people's stories fit perfectly 2 years into the outbreak ;)

The Marshal    351

I'm going to speak pretty bluntly on this. The lore states EXACTLY what you need to know, the exact events as they should be recalled IN-CHARACTER. you don't need anything else, all else is irrelevant. It matters not. The lore will not change, it runs parallel with the current date system. This is a fact, and an unchangeable one. Beyond this, I do not understand what you are trying to achieve here today.

Goku    61

The problem with that is that the people who first began to play on S1 never saw friendly NPCs,hospitals with infected people, the military fighting the zombies. They just spawned one day and they where pretty far into the apocalypse *if not* the post-apocalypse. The thing is that I want to know the date they took personal Control over their fictional characters and ran around looking for loot in the lore timeline. The S1 server was started in October 7th of 2014, right? And therefore the lore was so that the infection began that day. But the players that played the server that that wasn't imerged into a Chernarus of NPCs working, a normal country. They spawned in a infected city. Since the lore cannot, will not, be changed to correct this the alternative is to say that during this time your character was without you the player until >insert date< when Chernarus had been overrun and you started controlling your character with the ASWD buttons and your mouse. That is what I wish to know.

No.... Your character existed in the time before the infection put the world into an apocalypse. It is your task as the person beind the character to make a believeable reason as to why you are there and what you did before the apocolypse. You didn't just magically appear in Chernarus you have to have a valid reason for being there.

The Marshal    351

You took control of your character the moment he was born. YOU wrote this character, YOU decided what he did with his life, what he did after the outbreak began. nobody controlled him other than you. HOWEVER, this is for IN-GAME and IN-CHARACTER reflections of in-game events that happened to influence the lore in the region. you cannot simply write yourself into the lore for the simple fact that nobody knows who you are ICly because OOCly you were not around. I don't know who you are ICly, nor will anybody else, therefore you did not have any significant impact.

Rolle    2453

It is all very relevant to this thread: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Apocalypse-Lore-Happenings-for-January-and-February-2015 - Which I Think is a good idea. I am just trying to figure out how to do this and knowing the date we all took Control of our characters would be a requirement...

I was recently working on a revival of this idea called "Lore timeline" which would show all events from the start of the outbreak, up until now. Players would be able to submit their entries to the timeline so it wouldn't be just things we entered, but you could add a significant event that affected a lot of people yourself or your group. That idea is however still under development, didn't have time to finish it due to work on new website.

theh5    7

You took control of your character the moment he was born. YOU wrote this character, YOU decided what he did with his life, what he did after the outbreak began. nobody controlled him other than you. HOWEVER, this is for IN-GAME and IN-CHARACTER reflections of in-game events that happened to influence the lore in the region. you cannot simply write yourself into the lore for the simple fact that nobody knows who you are ICly because OOCly you were not around. I don't know who you are ICly, nor will anybody else, therefore you did not have any significant impact.

Ok let's try this really easy:

When my fictional character was born I could not press the space bar and make him jump and see it, I couldn't crawl, I couldn't do sh!t.

When the outbreak began on October 7th of 2014 and the S1 server was started (right?) I could move with my character (provived I was there) i could jump and see it, I could find food and eat it - Something I could not do with my character because he hadn't entered the time of the game yet.

But on October 7th of 2014 the S1 servers started and the lore says that the outbreak initially began but when a outbreak of a virus beginns first you can see people panicking, looting, robbing, the infectionous disease Group mobilised to containt the situation after they failed the military rolled in - Since we couldn't see this happen on the October 7th of 2014 we hadn't gained player Control over our characters yet they where imaginary since they where in events that the game did not portray. When you spawned the 7th October of 2014 you spawned in a post-apocalyptic World, the outbreak had already occured. Which means that, realistic roleplay speaking, our characters on the S1 servers start day and the lore initial outbreak in 7th october of 2014 was played out imaginatorily and we took Control, that is we where able to see our character on a computer game, somewhere during November 11 2014 or else it would mean that the players on S1 on 7th October 2014 (assuming that that is the date the server S1 was created) saw Everything happen, they saw friendly people NPC Walking around and etc. But they spawned in a Post-apocalyptic computer simulated World which means they, lore speakingly, didn't *spawn* for the first time on the 7th October 2014 but on November 11 2014

Can I make it any clearer!?

if you don't get that just.. Please!.. Tell me, with your best guess/assumption, when we first - absolutely first in a lore fitting timeframe!!! - took Control of our characters and spawned - It can't be the 7th October 2014 because that day Chernarus had no infection *yet* but when people spawned that day in the server it did have a infection which means that roleplay wise we started playing our characters on November 11 2014 as that day in the lore it says that the infection had spread throughout Chernarus or is it Another day??

It is all very relevant to this thread: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Apocalypse-Lore-Happenings-for-January-and-February-2015 - Which I Think is a good idea. I am just trying to figure out how to do this and knowing the date we all took Control of our characters would be a requirement...

I was recently working on a revival of this idea called "Lore timeline" which would show all events from the start of the outbreak, up until now. Players would be able to submit their entries to the timeline so it wouldn't be just things we entered, but you could add a significant event that affected a lot of people yourself or your group. That idea is however still under development, didn't have time to finish it due to work on new website.

Well I am working on collecting some events that occured, like the Council, for that thing but. I. Need. To. Know. Critical. Information. - To do so.

Such as when we first took Control of our own characters, read the post I sent to The Marshal as copying and pasting it here would be a waste of space.

Rolle    2453

Well I am working on collecting some events that occured, like the Council, for that thing but. I. Need. To. Know. Critical. Information. - To do so.

Such as when we first took Control of our own characters, read the post I sent to The Marshal as copying and pasting it here would be a waste of space.

Well, according to this announcement we opened our SA shard on October 24th 2014, so that's the closest you will get to date when people actually got in game and started playing. A lot of info was lost from that time though, the old LoreMaster who was responsible for lore back then is no longer here, so I don't really have any more information regarding it. You will just have to go on what you can find on the forums.

Goku    61

Control over the character doesn't matter. Your character, once you have joined has been around since the begining. You are thinking about this with too much of an Out Of Character thought, when you are in game you wouldn't walk up to someone and if they asked how/when did you get here you wouldn't answer 'Oh I only just took control of my character yesterday' you would have to role play out being apart of the world for the entire lore. Your character will have memories of the time before the outbreak because IN GAME he has always been there.

YOU DIDN'T TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR CHARACTER. As stated your character has been around depening on how old he/she is. Plus we didn't just start playing our character he has always been there.

Not to be blunt, but going to try anyway. Your character was not present during those old times there. Therefore your character cannot remember any of those old events which happened.

There are plenty of characters still active from the early days of SA and you forcing having knowledgde on events you were not present for on people would be powergaming and is a punishable offense.

So, in short, you were not there, you cannot remember, in RP terms you were not in South Zagoria. Thank you.

theh5    7

Not to be blunt, but going to try anyway. Your character was not present during those old times there. Therefore your character cannot remember any of those old events which happened.

There are plenty of characters still active from the early days of SA and you forcing having knowledgde on events you were not present for on people would be powergaming and is a punishable offense.

So, in short, you were not there, you cannot remember, in RP terms you were not in South Zagoria. Thank you.

If only it worked that way, maybe it does but then you gotta go and ask everybody who just joined DayZRP to change their charactes so that they just got to Chernarus.