Server time: 2017-08-17, 03:53

Sign in to follow this  
Stiflex

A survivors guide to vehicles [0.60]

Stiflex    109

So, I haven't seen a guide on cars on this forum, I've actually looked up a lot on google and there's honestly very little, however there is some information here and there, specifically I haven't been able to find a map of where do cars spawn, well hopefully people could share where they find these magical metal boxes and we could all benefit from that. The main reason I'm posting this here is because I've been robbed on the server, they tried to steal my car but the silly geese didn't know how to work the thing.

Updated for 0.6; 2016-06-24dd

Anyways, let's get to the guide, I wanted to make a video on each of the vehicle types, however dayz is quite a peace of shrok when it comes to recording, so I'll probably do a few later.  

Tips & tricks & how to deal with bugs

What to do

What NOT to do.

Where do cars spawn?

The DayzTV team have updated the map for 0.60, and indeed vehicle spawns have changed, here's the link to the map: http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-chernarus-plus-map/

What are the max speeds?

Volga - 130 km/h

Lada - 120 km/h

V3S - 50 km/h - 60 km/h

Bus - 60 km/h 

I've found one! What now?

Congratulations, hopefully you didn't steal it from anyone (Damn you Vincent) The first thing you need to do is asses the position and condition of the vehicle. If it looks like it's stuck, it probably is all things considered, try removing a wheel - see if that helps, be careful not to die.

How to drive any car: Q shifts down, E shifts up. (Gears: R N 1 2 3 4 5) W - Accelerator Shift + W - Turbo

All cars can be tuned with a wrench. Tires can be repaired with a repair kit, and require a lug wrench to be removed.

Lada 4x4 Off-road hatchback: Currently, in my opinion - the most stable car, if you've found one, and it has a few wheels, be sure to fix them to pristine, you can do so by using a lug wrench and a tire repair kit, now that's not a tip because driving with anything below pristine may have sad consequences, there's nothing more dangerous than a four by four with shit wheels flying at speeds of 100. You can find tires and all other essentials in industrial sheds, buildings, garages. it needs a spark plug and a car battery of any condition apart from ruined

If your ride feels a bit imbalanced, even if all your wheels are pristine, try refitting all of them, it may say it's pristine, but if there's an option to repair wheel when you have your kit in your hands, it means it's bugged out and it's not actually pristine. Pro tip: a lada runs quite well with two wheels, however; Three wheels are really unstable and could flip your car if you try to step on the pedal and turn. When puttin/removing tires, try to stand as far away as possible, if you've seen the reddit car posts, you know why. (You die, idk ask Dean Hall)

Volga Sedan: Fast, has a lot of space, pretty terrible at maneuvering, if you have low fps, better give your friend to drive because the biggest negative of the volga is its weight, dayz seems to ignore this when a person has a low framerate, so basically lag can kill you. Most of the same things apply to the volga like the 4x4. It has four wheels, all of them have to be pristine they're found at the same industrial places, pretty much everywhere, it needs a spark plug and a car battery of any condition apart from ruined. It runs pretty well with only two wheels - one in front and one on the back in the opposite side. Can spazz out with three wheels, idk dayz physics...

V3s Truck: - Slow, lags if you go near it especially with a car. Before fixing one up, try entering it. I've had a situation where after a restart my v3s duplicated itself (I know right?) Basically made a black hole of lag and both of them were un-enterable. Has a varied version, an even slower v3s with a carriage, it struggles extreamly when driving into hills. Max speed when I drove one was about 40 km/h, up hills it was about 5-10 km/h. Basically someone will surpass you while not even sprinting. Requires a truck battery, doesn't need any glow plugs or spark plugs, two singular wheels and four truck double wheels, all should be pristine, the quality doesn't matter as much on the v3s, however, this will affect speed.

Party bus: Really slow, I have no idea why would you want to drive such a death trap, you're just asking to be robbed - aren't you? Requires a truck battery, a glow-plug, two bus wheels and two double bus wheels - all four have to be pristine.

How to unflip a car?

Ooh dear, well you've done it now. It was and perhaps is possible, I've personally unflipped a few cars, here's a

of how to do so. However, this was a long time ago, give it a shot if you're desperate. You can craft a bow with a hatchet, you'll also need a knife. Here's a wiki page on it. Thankfully there's plenty of chicken running around!

Do not try to ram one car into the other, it may ruin the tires on both of the vehicles. Not to mention the lag you will inflict on yourself by doing so. However, again, if you're desperate - go for it.

General car tips:

• If you wish to split a double wheel, use a crowbar and interact with the wheel. 
  • Repair the wheels: Detach the wheel. Hold the tire repair kit. Interact directly using scroll and f on it. Even if it's pristine, if it has a repair option, means it's going to have problems while driving (Swaying) I've tried fixing double wheels, but they don't seem to have an option.
  • When removing a wheel, if one or all disappear - relog, they can bug out.
  • Cars have unlimited fuel or at least don't tell you when you've run out, the fuel part in the dashboard is frozen/broken. If I'm wrong (I've never ran out of gas) find the lid, it could be on the middle of the v3s and off-road, hold your fuel container (Canister, bottle) and use F to refuel.
  • Combining truck wheels seems to be broken, I've tried it a couple of times, didn't work, however, I can't confirm this.
  • To prevent premature deaths and other wonderful glitches, ALWAYS PARK IN NEUTRAL.
  • Before fixing up any vehicle, make sure it isn't stuck/bugged out and if it's enterable, sometimes they glitch-out and have to options like "Get in"
  • Do not step out of a running car, back in 0.59 it used to break your legs or at least ruin your boots. Now, I've done that a few times and it doesn't seem to have any effect, however, even being near a running car is dangerous.
  • DO NOT GO NEAR OTHER CARS WHILE IN A CAR, ESPECIALLY WITH OTHER PLAYERS. This tip sounds ridiculous right? Wrong. A car is like a black hole in 0.6 - they desync and lag. Try it if you want, it'll make your car really sensitive to turns and it's speed alongside with your frames will be cut in half.
  • Framerates can be cut in half while driving any vehicle, especially volgas/4x4's on +100 speeds.
  • Cars are pretty much indestructible, I've flipped over many times with a lada and as long as it flips back on its four wheels, you're fine unless you hit a rock or something. Bullets only seem to go through the front window.
  • Wheels break really quickly, if you so as much touch a fence with the volga, your wheels may be damaged. I found the Lada to be more resilient, however, it also often damages its wheels when hitting something.
  • Players can be run-over by vehicles, however, doing so may have unexpected results, I've done this only once on 0.6 and it killed him, previous patches made people like brick walls, if you hit someone, you may even die yourself while the "victim" is untouched.
  • If a fully pristine car starts but doesn't move, and it doesn't look like it's stuck, ask your friend to try moving it for you or relog. I've found a volga and fixed it up and it didn't move an inch, my friend gave it a try and without doing anything it worked fine for him. (You can hear the car revving but it isn't moving basically)
  • Found a sedan that doesn't start? If it's pretty much fixed up try removing the battery and spark plug and then adding them back in again. If you're accompanied, ask your friend to start it, you may be lagged out. If it still doesn't work try reloging, if that doesn't work the car is either bugged out or badly damaged. The engine was a thing in the previous patches and hitting a wall or something may break it. If still nothing works, try finding a new battery as I've heard they have charges, if not - leave it be. DayZ is a complicated baby that's essentially retarded, it has things no one can change and no one knows if it actually works.
  • A bus will still run with a ruined battery and/or ruined glow plug, if it was installed in a better condition
  • There is no way to check if any cars engine is in good condition. If the car accelerates much slower then before or is not able to manage even the smallest slope, it's possible that your engine is broken. This may be caused by a crash or a glitch. You can't fix this yourself, but a server restart will, this also applies to a flipped vehicle. This part is really confusing as the "engine" in dayz is like a magical object, it doesn't yet exist but it can get glitched. I crashed a bus once, repaired it, and it ran half as fast, after the server crashed, the bus was fine.
  • Make as many stops as possible, as in - get out of the vehicle and then get back in and continue to drive. Because the server keeps crashing randomly and when it does crash your vehicle will stay where it is and you're going to be rolled back where you first entered it. Example: I found a car in Zelengorsk, drove to TISY, server crashed. I'm at Zelengorsk, however my car is at TISY.

Overall, cars are broken as almost never before, they don't kill as often and don't break your legs every time you go near it so it's a good sign, however, I suggest being really careful with those metal beasts.

I will update the thread when I have more information and time. If you've found a bug/glitch that isn't on here, feel free to post down below.

I don't know anything about cars in the game so this is very helpful! Nice seeing a new member get involved so quickly.

I'm looking forward to seeing you add videos to this guide in the future (hopefully).

Is it a coincidence that the colours are yellow, green and red? (Lithuania has a very pretty flag).

Hmm pretty decent. Too bad cars are quite broken in this patch. Such as getting stuck if driving next to another vehicle with yours. Not worth the trouble unless you find one in good condition.

Really accurate guide, good to see people are embracing vehicles (despite the painful synchronisation issues) I have to say I still enjoy the drives across chernarus with the occasional game crash. I have found quite a few new car spawns and all I can advise is go everywhere, hopefully I can find enough time to put together a map.... However I imagine DayZ TV are working on it (:

Many thanks , cya in Chernarus!

Tom

Stiflex    109

I don't know anything about cars in the game so this is very helpful! Nice seeing a new member get involved so quickly.

I'm looking forward to seeing you add videos to this guide in the future (hopefully).

Is it a coincidence that the colours are yellow, green and red? (Lithuania has a very pretty flag).

Yes, the color scheme represents the countries flag, however, it wasn't intentional - I just do it every time I post a guide. It's just something that's in the back of my head when writing posts.

Pinky    128

"Lets go check the forums to see if anyone else has a guide on how to RP as a mechanic, if not ill make one"

Corgui 13 minutes ago eating a roll while watching the trailer of Moana.

Damn you.

+1 good detailed guide.

should still add how to rp fixing one though :P

Stiflex    109

"Lets go check the forums to see if anyone else has a guide on how to RP as a mechanic, if not ill make one"

Corgui 13 minutes ago eating a roll while watching the trailer of Moana.

Damn you.

+1 good detailed guide.

should still add how to rp fixing one though :P

Well the beauty RP is your imagination, you can think of a story of how you've acquired said vehicle. I myself RP as a "car enthusiast" in-game.

However, RP'ing if a tire disappears and you needing to relog is quite a bummer.

Mr Porky    5

good guide, its a shame some people cant drive with out crashing.

So let me ask a question if I may.

I had a Sedan recently in the .60 patch. Fixed it up with pristine items. I eventually had to abandon it as I could not drive at speed without spinning out due to the fact that the vehicle was veering to the left. Is this a known issue with the Sedan, or am I just really dumb and missed something? :)

Stiflex    109

I had a Sedan recently in the .60 patch.  Fixed it up with pristine items.  I eventually had to abandon it as I could not drive at speed without spinning out due to the fact that the vehicle was veering to the left.  Is this a known issue with the Sedan, or am I just really dumb and missed something? :)

So there is a glitch where pristine tires are not actually pristine, this usually happens when you find one that says pristine, and it actually isn't. Here's a snippet from the thread:

If your ride feels a bit imbalanced, even if all your wheels are pristine, try refitting all of them, it may say it's pristine, but if there's an option to repair wheel when you have your kit in your hands, it means it's bugged out and it's not actually pristine.

I had a Sedan recently in the .60 patch.  Fixed it up with pristine items.  I eventually had to abandon it as I could not drive at speed without spinning out due to the fact that the vehicle was veering to the left.  Is this a known issue with the Sedan, or am I just really dumb and missed something? :)

So there is a glitch where pristine tires are not actually pristine, this usually happens when you find one that says pristine, and it actually isn't. Here's a snippet from the thread:

If your ride feels a bit imbalanced, even if all your wheels are pristine, try refitting all of them, it may say it's pristine, but if there's an option to repair wheel when you have your kit in your hands, it means it's bugged out and it's not actually pristine.

Ah I missed that, woops!  Thanks for the heads up.  That sounds about right.  :)

LumberJack    18

this explains so much, thank you!

Very helpful thanks!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this