Server time: 2017-10-18, 00:25
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
ryan-mcneill

Advice for character creation?

Hi, I am very new to this community and also RP in general but we all have to start somewhere right?

Basically I was wondering if any RP veterans can help me with any tips to making an interesting character with potential to become something amazing and bring me and other players a lot of fun RP situations. anything is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Post    0

Check out the Guides and Tutorial section of the forums, the Loremaster team has produced this which may help you: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Loremaster-s-Character-Development-Guide-FAQ

Remember to keep it simple. You don't have to be anything crazy like a navy seal to be here, you can be a regular guy. If you really want, write a backstory, create a character page, and ask a Loremaster (PM any of us) to look it over, we'll give you feedback.

Blu    39

I wouldn't call myself an RP veteran but I have got some pointers that can help you out.

I would start as either a neutral or what you would class a hero. New players rush into hostile/bandit RP quickly without having the full picture and the rules surrounding hostile RP so I would definitely start with a neutral character. Secondly for the whole backstory for your character I would keep it simple and try to stay away from 'I was a soldier who crashed in an helicopter' for example my first character was employed in construction and won a contract to upgrade the docks down in Electro and go stuck when the infection happened.Finally find a group of people who are similar in their nature to your character to help further the RP as well as meet them OOC and make new friends in the community!

Hope this helps and if you have any questions i'm sure a Lore master or community helper can give you some help as well!

Oliv    1876

Hey there,

Being new to RP as well as here, I would start off with a character that isn't too difficult yet. Many people will play a character that is more or less themselves in the beginning. What makes a good character in my eyes, is not some crazy backstory, but how well you can portray a simple backstory and stick with it.

People will ask you questions, they may find holes in your story, you may slip up. Honestly, keep it simple for a week or two, maybe longer, when you are comfortable, switch to a more creative character if you'd like.

I'm a young survivor as you are and I would say you don't have to make a crazy story or anything or try to make your character as interesting as possible. A lot of the magic happens in game where you can shape your character as you meet people!

Just my two cents!

Giraffel    95

Just check the guide that post linked and make sure to follow the lore. As for your character's personality just start with someone neutral and dont rush into robberies or hostile rp. I started my first character by acting how i thought id act irl if i was in the situations that happened in game, that was a pretty good start. Later i developed my character to become someone who is actually very different compared to how i started playing him. 

Start neutral and change your character with more experience and after you learn more through in game situations. I hope this will help you!

Pussy    377

So erm... I created a guide and part of it has a section on character creation...

Shameless Plug

Para    309

It all depends on what style of rp suits you best man! If you like hostile rp, work on creating a hostile character. Hostile characters can be done through many forms though i'd recommend looking for tips / advice on how to play them well first.

If you enjoy looting on dayz, perhaps make a 'trader' character with your friends. Patrol areas and trade with people.

There's loads to do, specify what type of character you'd like to play and I'm sure many of us (including myself) would be more than happy to give advice / help out.

That being said, good luck!

Melvin    84

The best characters are ones that inspire genuine emotions in others and sway them to follow with you. You can start off by creating an average joe, and see where your roleplay develops your guy to. Good luck!

Method    68

Well partner when i first started out i made up a pmc operatior who gave up his one way out of the country and i found that being the military hot head good i couldnt play him very well and when i came time for me to make  a new character i decided to make a guy who i could relate to more or less but like alot of people would answer it truely up to you pick someone and become that character 

IMO it's all in the personality. Figure out what personality you plan on playing with (aggressive? kind? smart? smartass? meek? violent? diplomatic?) and pick and choose your background elements to support that. Also remember that it's two years into the apocalypse, long enough time for anyone to have gained a decent level of knowledge from experience and books in any specific subject, or you could RP that someone taught you. You could play a medic even if your background was a paralegal assistant, or a cook.

RavioliKing    10

Far from an RP 'Veteran' but I can go off of experience and say to stay clear of the super soldier persona. Civilian characters, imo, are much more immersing and interesting. Theres way too many military guys running around with very generic backgrounds, it's become very, very stale. Just mix it up a bit.

Dvius    0

I'm new here, but to me it starts with the 5 W's. Who, What, Where, Why, When and sometimes How. Journalism 101. When you pick up a paper, what are the things you want to know about the people in the news? It's the same everywhere since we connect to characters in shows, movies, or books for a reason.

Who: Who are you? This is the basics of your personality. Name, etc..

What: What do you do? What's your occupation? What is your motivation?

Where: Where are you from? Where are you at now?

Why: Why are each of the above important? Why are you here? Why are you alive this far into the outbreak?

When: Did each of the above become important? When did your character learn how to do what he's good at?

How: This is when you start to flesh out the character. Just goes into more detail on each aspect and will happen as you play more.

Start basic and flesh the character out while playing. It will become obvious what works and doesn't work with your character over time. You can even RP those realizations where you have a lightbulb moment and realize you were wrong about who you were. What makes sense and fits will flow, what doesn't will come as a struggle, so adjust.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. This only strengthens the characters and your story overall. I can't tell you how many times in the short stories I've published or the novel I'm rewriting that I've had to redo characters because I found out some aspect of them didn't fit. In writing you can change them, here just RP that transition and it should work. People change their minds :)

And as everyone else said, start simple and expand as you get comfortable with it.

Smau    8

Just be what you're comfortable being.

Also what you're good at ;)