Server time (UTC): 2020-01-19, 11:48 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
minter1982

Server Population

So then I ask, what is our next side-project? We have the server for Desolation for a little bit, but when that runs out and it is still dead, donwe go back to Exile? Or start an Arma Life server? Actually does it even matter if the "side-project curse" will hit  that one also?

its literally all about effort put in. if mininal effort is put in by the Staff team then it likely wont be around for long.

some side projects failed due to poor DDOs protection,  some due to lack of interest.  but Rolle has made it clear he doesn't have the time to invest in something big like a Life server and our current staff team has shown little interest in taking on the extra task themselves either.

so for now we play desolation and hope it picks up again.

and if it dies well then  we wait until the next game putzes in and we hope and prays it works out it stays

Stopped playing after Rolle made clear he didnt want to fix broken rules.

Might try it out again later. Dunno.

its unfortunate that this was the case. During my time playing the rules were clarified, then re clarified multiple times.  The rules page was contradictory and these confusions made it unpleasant to play as half of the staff team said one thing and the other half disagreed.  

I had a lot of hype for this but it has been all but killed now.

Really annoying when staff doesnt even get the rules. Got 2 differnt answers from 2 diffrent GMs. So much confusion and some weird rules. Could be fixed easy and within an hour but apperntly it doesn't need a "fix". Even though the community is asking for one...

Dude I know, it is like DayZ started as a mod, if people just got bored and stopped showing.love, we wouldn't have a website. Just got to stick it out, so many people were on the Desolation train. Where are they?!

it all came down to attitudes and salt on the forums and rules not being clear and not user friendly and them not being addressed.

the hype was killed for about 30 players and that has a tendancy to change the outcome for alot of people. no big group to fight made smaller groups stop playing and made the pop go down so single players are unlikely to play

Really annoying when staff doesnt even get the rules. Got 2 differnt answers from 2 diffrent GMs. So much confusion and some weird rules. Could be fixed easy and within an hour but apperntly it doesn't need a "fix". Even though the community is asking for one...

i know and i understand they wanted it to be more PVP orientated or so they stated but then they limit the rules in a way that stops dynamics form being created it kills a lot of potential action of strangers working together. and in the process kill all the drive for players who don't want to group up with a big group and make an xml and group page to actually join the server.

it all confuses me why they would want to limit the rules and make them less user friendly and confusing and make it so less people want to play.

So then I ask, what is our next side-project? We have the server for Desolation for a little bit, but when that runs out and it is still dead, donwe go back to Exile? Or start an Arma Life server? Actually does it even matter if the "side-project curse" will hit  that one also?

its literally all about effort put in. if mininal effort is put in by the Staff team then it likely wont be around for long.

some side projects failed due to poor DDOs protection,  some due to lack of interest.  but Rolle has made it clear he doesn't have the time to invest in something big like a Life server and our current staff team has shown little interest in taking on the extra task themselves either.

and if it dies well then  we wait until the next game putzes in and we hope and prays it works out it stays

I get what you mean. Worst part is, staff are always SO busy, getting them to put in time on the next one seems like a pipe dream

I get what you mean. Worst part is, staff are always SO busy, getting them to put in time on the next one seems like a pipe dream

Well see the thing is is all the time they put in is voluntary, so some people put in alot of time

others the bare minimum.

its not that they are overloaded in work by any means, there's plenty of staff members to cover the work they have twice or three times over.  its the fact that Rolle himself has to pick and choose who is trustworthy enough to do things like add things to the servers and work on the configurations and to make and fix the rules.  and that list is very small list as the people have to be high enough in staff, be trustworthy and willing to do it correctly and to learn how to do it.

we used to have developers well versed in Arma 3  but alot of them left because they didn't have anything to develop for a long period of time and they were given other staff ranks, or were pulled from staff when their side projects were canned.

it definitely is a pipe dream though

Well see the thing is is all the time they put in is voluntary, so some people put in alot of time

others the bare minimum.

its not that they are overloaded in work by any means, there's plenty of staff members to cover the work they have twice or three times over.  its the fact that Rolle himself has to pick and choose who is trustworthy enough to do things like add things to the servers and work on the configurations and to make and fix the rules.  and that list is very small list as the people have to be high enough in staff, be trustworthy and willing to do it correctly and to learn how to do it.

we used to have developers well versed in Arma 3  but alot of them left because they didn't have anything to develop for a long period of time and they were given other staff ranks, or were pulled from staff when their side projects were canned.

it definatly is a pipe dream though

Hahaha, yeah I know what you mean. I was mostly taking my business idea from past staff responses to things

We should make a DayZ SA side project...

+2

I think the issue we are having is that if there is nobody playing then nobody wants to get on, its a vicious cycle. If we all just get on when its low pop and wait, we will draw more people to the server. I'm doing my part and logging on now.

We should make a DayZ SA side project...

^

^

I mean, reed summed it up pretty well.

Treat it equal to SA, stop promoting the PvP functionality and reduce the high end loot. Simple as that really ;)

one word...Exams

one word...Exams

+1 for me aswell

From what I pieced together, when one of the largest groups of people stopped playing it just killed the server. I personally didn't feel ARMA 3 as a base game had enough RP potential to sink a lot of time into Desolation and I think many people had the same mindset. In the end, it's just another side project which sadly always die down and end. The OOC drama didn't help the server either. Everyone shits on Standalone, but it's what the large majority of active members came here to play.

+1 Bruce. Urite.

Saying it's dead just kills it more

Guest Gibbon

RIP

Wasted potential.

I just got back from a weekend away with friends. I get in game everyday, a minimum of 4 hours a day, and constantly do the same thing. Not for gear, but to try and meet people. I go from NE, to NW, to stary, to the coast towns, then back to NE, at least once a day.

I can type and speak in teamspeak to people until my fingers and face goes blue, but without the actual effort put in by everyone.. It won't make a difference. Everybody has to put effort in (exams are also a bitch and people do need time for that). The problem I have noticed and thought about us facing, is the same thing people in real life countries face. There is a lack in public interest, or knowledge. OR a lack of government (in this case staff themed), assistance/effort being provided where it's necessary. I say this, not to try and flame or discredit what's been done. Rolle is paying excellent attention to things we ask for, unfortunately, other things we ask for don't receive said attention.

There are a lot of old mod players that have come back around just to play this and have fun. A lot of mod players are playing this because, frankly standalone is one of the most unattractive and poor excuses for a developing game I've played. The promises that were made, compared to the end result and this ridiculous "It'll get better with the next update and everyone will start playing again" mentality, makes me want to throw up and never touch it again.

Now, I've never really been one to do Side Projects. I haven't really liked any of them, from a gameplay and game theme perspective. This mod just reminds me of a better done, and more interact able format, with things that we can actually do and change. (in comparison to standalone). Bur some people fail to remember that Standalone was originally a sort of side project. The only difference between how we treat side projects now, and how we treated standalone, is that at the time Mod was declining, and when people were told we had a standalone server for roleplay they flocked to it.

Server population though.. Hmm.. See, on one hand I can understand (assuming salt, ooc hat, and exams are excluded), that people wouldn't want to get on the servers, as tom said I believe his logic earlier as I've seen said logic in action. I also think that people are convinced that the side projects will never last, and in the end with this mentality and the same thing done expecting different results, side projects do tend to fail. I don't know though. I still get on and try to rp with people I feel I can realistically approach.

This is just rant now though. I do my best to get people on everyday. Just need everyone else to put forth their effort. (and quit school)

I think with planning we could get a decent number of people on at the same time, maybe make some sort of 24hr rp event?

Hopping on now for a bit before GOT!

There are a lot of old mod players that have come back around just to play this and have fun. A lot of mod players are playing this because, frankly standalone is one of the most unattractive and poor excuses for a developing game I've played. The promises that were made, compared to the end result and this ridiculous "It'll get better with the next update and everyone will start playing again" mentality, makes me want to throw up and never touch it again.

That.

Me and at least 3 other guys of BHM only came back to play desolation, since it is just like the old mod.

The mod goes and we will leave again.

SA is just unplayable for me.

Hopping on Desolation for the next few hours, lets get shit poppin.

A lot of people will leave again if desolation fails. So yes the majority plays on the failure of a game known as DayzSA. So the majority has no taste in gaming. Fine, be that way.

I have risen from the grave because I smelled fresh juicy mod game.

Sign in to follow this