Server time: 2019-03-27, 01:22 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

Common Sense and RP

I can see your point of view and partially agree. Why partially? Well, that's because everyone has a different play style and some people just "play the game" and they don't try to immerse themselves into it as much as possible. What's funny to me is that what happened was a bit reversed situation compared to yours. What I mean is that I played like a month ago on SA and it was night on server so I decided to go inside some building to RP out that I'm resting and hiding because of the night. Then someone entered the building and when he found me he was like "Why didn't you locked yourself inside? You'd be much safer this way". I didn't had a lockpick so I explained as my character that I was too weak and couldn't move any furniture to block the doors and I also didn't had a keys to this house or something like that.

But what's the point in playing on an RP server if you don't immerse yourself within the lore and environment? That sounds like those individuals who simply come here due to the no KOS, and in my opinion, they don't belong here. From my perspective, this community is here to craft stories and immerse yourself within the lore that we have created.

Yeah, you're right of course but that doesn't change the fact that what OP described is happening on this server with the people who are supposed to be here because they wanted to play RP and immerse themselves in this world. Maybe for them it's quite natural to be that friendly or it's weird for them to lock yourself in the house at night.

I understand where you are coming from with how each character is different, but like the OP stated, would you (anyone) find it odd if you were to go up to random houses, try to open the door, realize it's locked, then bang on the home owners door and proceed to yell "Why is your door locked?", people lock their doors at night and even during the day because they fear someone will attempt to break in and harm the person or their family, so giving that murder, torture, cannibalism, and highway robbery is common in the setting of our apocalypse, I wouldn't find it strange at all that someone decided to barricade and lock themselves inside a house at night, and to be honest, EVERYONE should find it more than normal to be cautious.

That's another thing I've noticed a lot of, and part of what I was hinting on regarding how everyone acts like it's just the friendly neighborhood apocalypse.

I tend to do everything I can to be stealthy, and I'm very wary of strangers, and the hilarious part is that when I do that, they treat me like I'm acting suspicious!

Yes! Yes, when you and your three heavily-armed friends walked over to me, surrounded me, and started dancing back and forth on your toes, I got a little bit anxious!

Why did I run away at first? Because I saw three heavily armed guys suddenly change direction and come charging directly at me across a wide open field where I was the only obvious destination! Why am I the rude or suspicious one for not trotting up to say hello to you?

--snip--

--snip--

I understand where you are coming from with how each character is different, but like the OP stated, would you (anyone) find it odd if you were to go up to random houses, try to open the door, realize it's locked, then bang on the home owners door and proceed to yell "Why is your door locked?", people lock their doors at night and even during the day because they fear someone will attempt to break in and harm the person or their family, so giving that murder, torture, cannibalism, and highway robbery is common in the setting of our apocalypse, I wouldn't find it strange at all that someone decided to barricade and lock themselves inside a house at night, and to be honest, EVERYONE should find it more than normal to be cautious.

I know what you mean and I agree with it, don't get me wrong. I see your point of view. In my playthroughs I've never encountered a barricaded house at night so I don't know what my character would do. Probably because usually when it's night and I'm alone then I RP out being cautious and hiding somewhere until sunset... or at the very least I'm trying as my character to find shelter safe enough for the rest. Although I imagine that if I'd encounter closed doors, I'd probably check if the others are also that way. If yes, then I'd probably just go somewhere else assuming that someone might be inside and I don't know who or what he/she wants.

Funnily enough, two weeks ago, when the same thing happened, it went something like this:

Guy: Hello?

Me: Yes? Who is it?

Guy:

Me: Woah! What the hell are you doing!?

Guy: Why is the door locked?

Me: Because I'm in here.

Guy: Don't be a smart ass.

Me: That's a good way to get shot, you know.

Guy: Good. It's been a while since someone shot at me. Well, you two have fun and use protection. (I was alone).

So, yeah. Guy almost KOS'd me trying to shoot open a locked door after he learned that someone was inside the house.

I don't see the problem with this.

I actually find it very bizarre that a you don't understand why a person might lock a door at night.

Is that something you do on a regular basis? Just walk up to locked homes and ask the owners why their front door is locked?

If you found a person in a locked house in the middle of a zombie apocalypse while bandits are routinely robbing people, would you genuinely wonder why the door was locked?

Honestly yeah I would, but depends on the character really.

Who would think common sense would be such a rare commodity.

I mean it's not that big of a deal, sure you want it as realistic as possible, but some people's first attempt at roleplay is here, we aren't professionals(me being one of those people) It's also hard for everyone to go full-on realistic, because it's still a game and people play games to experience something that they wouldn't usually.Don't expect everyone to be great, because it just won't happen, and to be fair I'd probably ask why the door is locked too(I get it, apocalypse,zombies,stuff, I'd still ask)

People are naturally suspicious. After all, the amount of kidnapping, torture, robbery and theft that goes on would probably have an impact on how they approach a situation, such as finding someone who has locked themselves in a house.

If you think it's a dumb question to ask, demonstrate that in character! :)

A good vent is necessary from time to time about the stupidity of online gamers, jebus knows I have done it.

Just remember what you said in the first line, it is a game. People be dumb as fuck. I do think though this was one of those instances were you write an angry letter then wait a day to see how you feel. Just my opinion though

Amen.

But yes, I agree that people need some common sense and to act the way their character would if it were real life, however that will never happen. Just be happy that they don't go around yelling about heli crashes, bandits and loot, even though that also happens from time to time. Other than that, keep it calm.

Another Lucia rant.

I wont lie, I find it annoying when people seem to get generally annoyed at me simply because I use a light source at night time. I personally find it makes it much more immersive and challenging in the sense of getting one's bearing as well as dealing with infected.

I've also noticed that people seem to be really surprised when someone is using a lantern. I use a lightsources a lot when playing because I've set my gamma into realistic.

aikdiMw.jpg

Image above is a screenshot ingame, no editing involved.

At night in outdoors I can see some silhouettes if someone is moving and some outlines of the buildings but that's it. If I go inside it is pitch black (like it would be in real life) and I have to use light sourced just to maneuver around the rooms. And everytime I want to dig up something from my backpack, I usually set the lantern down. Imagine trying to find something small e.g. matchbox from a big backbag in darkness. I'm sure anyone with a lightsource would do that.

I'm not calling that everyone should set their gamma down. But it is a bit immersion breaking when someone spots a person hiding in a bush, at the middle of a night from 500 m distance. If you don't want to be blind as a mole at night, you can just RP that you don't notice everything.

And I don't even want start ranting about sprinting. I usually ask people who come to me sprinting: "Are you running away something? Should I also run?"

I honestly think you should take a deep breath and just take things the way they are.

Some people that play are new to the community and roleplaying as a hole and they should be guided into the right direction of roleplay and not be yelled at for making mistakes.

I don't see a problem with either situations and please remember that we have a lot of people that are only trying to improve. They can only improve by receiving advice and help on what they should do better. We have a lot of guides that can teach them and if they are enthusiastic enough to learn, they will read those guides and they will slowly be molded into the best RPers out there.

My advice for you: Don't take everything to heart. If someone is lacking experience on RP then help them understand what they're doing wrong. A rant on the forums won't help, no offence.

How do you teach a child to ride a bike?

You are patient with them and give them advice on what they should do better. You don't yell at them for doing bad. That's not how it works.

So I'm going to play both sides of the fence on this one, so stick with me.

First, I'm going to talk about this from the point of view of a new role player, or at least some one new to the community.

When I first started playing DayZ, I was tired of the KOS. This was not how the game was meant to be played. A survival game shouldn't just be me trying to survive for longer than an hour. So I joined an RP server.

Oh, not this one though. I didn't join here because I didn't think I was good enough for here. The rules were much more strict, and I was afraid I was going to just end up fucking up and getting the boot. It's no secret that I joined another server community, but it doesn't exist anymore.

Anyways, I honed my RP skills in there, then it shut down. I came here after that, as I still wanted to RP in this game. In the beginning, I still felt like I wasn't good enough for here. Hell, there are times I still don't, no matter how many compliments I get on my RP and my character.

Reading this from that aspect, this would make me self conscious. I've done many of the things being complained about in this thread, and probably still would. If I came up to a locked door, I would probably ask why it's locked too. It's a valid question, to be honest.

It comes down to how all sides handle it after that, that can carry good RP.

If you have ever met my character, you know he is a friendly guy. I play a jokster and I try to be charming. That's how I am in real life, and I try and exude that from my character as well. Some people may find it strange that I'm walking up to a group of people and being friendly about it, giving my name, etc.

But, there is always a game plan behind it all. Notice I have no death threats on the radio chatter thread? I play my character like that on purpose. But enough about me, let's get back to it.

I agree with posts like this in part. There are things that people may do in game that they do not realize people have an issue with. They can't fix those problems if they do not know they are doing them.

Where most of this thread looses me is the fact that there is more complaints than there are solutions on how to improve things.

So, here we go.

If you come up to a locked door, and you hear some one inside or start having a conversation, please don't shoot through the door, especially without warning. You could accidentally RDM some one and find yourself in a report.

Try having a conversation through the door with them, earn their trust, get them to unlock the door.

Hey, look at that, I was productive today.

I honestly think you should take a deep breath and just take things the way they are.

Some people that play are new to the community and roleplaying as a hole and they should be guided into the right direction of roleplay and not be yelled at for making mistakes.

I don't see a problem with either situations and please remember that we have a lot of people that are only trying to improve. They can only improve by receiving advice and help on what they should do better. We have a lot of guides that can teach them and if they are enthusiastic enough to learn, they will read those guides and they will slowly be molded into the best RPers out there.

My advice for you: Don't take everything to heart. If someone is lacking experience on RP then help them understand what they're doing wrong. A rant on the forums won't help, no offence.

How do you teach a child to ride a bike?

You are patient with them and give them advice on what they should do better. You don't yell at them for doing bad. That's not how it works.

It kind of sounds like you're saying "If you don't like something, don't bother complaining about it, just shut up and accept it."

Also, some people seem to think that I'm claiming that the players that are confused by common sense and realism in RP need to leave the server or be banned. I'm not saying that at all. I'm hoping those people see this post and say "Oh, shit. I did that. I guess it is kind of silly." and remind themselves to immerse themselves more during RP. A big reason I rant about stuff like this is so people can read it, consider their own actions, and decide if any of it applies to them. Whether or not they want to take it as a chance to improve or keep doing it just to spite me is their own business.

I see a lot of negative responses to Lucia's thread. It may seem "petty" to some and may appear much like a rant but overall it hits a good point on the head. People just go with "It's just a game" - Fair point; however, this server is a serious roleplaying community. Asking people to act more realistically in the role of their character is perfectly acceptable. There's been times where people have asked me some dumb questions, for example "Why are you holding a knife?" - My answer to that is "Why are you holding a gun, huh?" (In my head, I go with a different response ICly). I don't understand the confusion and fright from people when I use a different weapon of choice, if anything the gun is more dangerous than the knife.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with Lucia's statement. I went through this phase of questioning/discussing poor RP back in 2012. I've learnt since then that it's a miracle that theres a good level of RP actually available in a game like DayZ. This isn't a roleplay focused game. Hell, the community for the standalone isn't a roleplaying community. The majority of people here probably only have roleplay experience in things like Altis Life (excuse me whilst I bleach my tongue for using that word!).

It's unfortunately gonna end with continually bashing your head against a brickwall because the RP level here isn't top dollar like other more suitable games or forums, but it could be a lot, lot worse. Now this isn't to say we should just accept it, but I would suggest to try and be more accomadating with poor RPers, hell, if we had some sort of communication tool outside of the game (beyond Teamspeak. Bring back the IRC channel?), we could discuss some issues with the culprits and offer to guide them in the right direction if they're willing to listen.

My first goal is always to point out the absurdity in character and hope they catch on. For example, if they ask me "why are you running around with a flashlight?", I reply with "Because it's dark and I can't see." Hopefully, when they hear that, they think "Oh, right. I have my gamma turned up." And maybe even realize that their character should be practically blind. Unfortunately, I worry that it goes right past some people and they just sit there silently wondering why I don't just turn my gamma up.

My first goal is always to point out the absurdity in character and hope they catch on. For example, if they ask me "why are you running around with a flashlight?", I reply with "Because it's dark and I can't see." Hopefully, when they hear that, they think "Oh, right. I have my gamma turned up." And maybe even realize that their character should be practically blind. Unfortunately, I worry that it goes right past some people and they just sit there silently wondering why I don't just turn my gamma up.

Yep. One thing CLF were great at was ridiculing/making poor RPers feel silly because of their actions/reactions. It's harmless and purely IC yet it had an OOC message.

Although, like you said, some people are just that bone idle it goes straight through one ear and out of the other.

I think that generally, people asking you about why you have a light on at night does seem a bit silly if it is at night and the only reason for that question is to simply ask you why you are carrying a light.  But I can also see situations where that question, when combined with something else would make perfect sense, e.g. "why have you got that light on? I have just come through that town and barely made it out alive due to the number of infected there, you are going to make yourself a beacon, I suggest you try find your way in the dark unless you want to end up as dinner."  To me that would make perfect sense, acting like they should know better than to have their light on in such a dangerous area, but this would be different from a simple "why is your light on [in the dark]."

As to the locked doors thing, I would agree with you that it does make sense, if people were holding out in areas trying to survive, they would want to protect what little they have and make it as difficult as possible to get in the house, and unfortunately the game has no other mechanisms other than locking doors right now).  It probably just throws some people off as it is fairly rare to come across a house with locked doors, but doing something like shooting at the door knowing that someone is inside isn't something I would want to see more of.

Got to agree with the complaints here, I always try to put myself into my characters shoes and do what I would do IRL

Look at my situation

-Casually walking around Stary Sobor at night with my Glock + Suppresor + Flashlight Wombo Combo-

-Turns flashlight on, and starts roaming into the city, killing the infected sneaky-beaky like-

-Every time I open a door, I raise my gun to get rid of any threat on the other end-

This leads to the following:

1. Turn that fucking light off, Is blinding me!

2. Why do you always walk crouched?

3. Why are you aiming that gun at me?

4. Are you some Spec Ops guy?

5. I was just entering (sprinting into) the town, and heard you shots. Do you mind if I bring my other 5 infected friend in the house? (kek)

The question you mentioned seemed pretty innocent in my opinion, although I do see where you're coming from.

As for the people who walk in the dark when it's pitch black, yeah that's little ridiculous IMO.

Standalone RP

Logged on and ran to Kab (Jamestown?), sat down and watched people RP in the streets and at first everything seemed fine but it didnt take long for things to get.....questionable.

- People throwing flashbangs and stones at some old mans house for a reaction.

- Some guy walks up "Whats up nerds!".

- Some guy walks up to me and asks "Whats your name?" right off the bat, I reply with "piss off kid" whilst he immediately remarks with "oooohhh somebody's in a mood today".

- Some massive commotion about why one guy was only wearing his character shirt, literally 10 guys surrounding him shouting "somebody get this guy a jacket" whilst he is telling them to leave him alone.

- A couple of shots go off after an initiation on two guys, as soon as they do everyone (including bystanders) turns into a superhero running around with their weapons out as if they know on an in character level the rules protect them.

- The amount of baiting going on around this old mans house was ridiculous, so many times did I hear "what are you going to do about it?!" aka "just initiate already so my friend in that bush over there can shoot you".

- The classic running down the street without introduction shouting "hey anyone got any 5.45!?"

Apparently we are no longer playing a apocalyptic simulator on SA but instead in some areas of standalone its a 'meme' simulator with added zombies, whoever can make the most people laugh or impress the most people wins and it doesn't sit well with me, it reminded me alot of that GM RP that everyone as well as myself used to despise.

The question you mentioned seemed pretty innocent in my opinion, although I do see where you're coming from.

As for the people who walk in the dark when it's pitch black, yeah that's little ridiculous IMO.

Innocent questions can still be stupid questions. It's immersion breaking nature comes from the fact that it's a really stupid question. As others have pointed out, it's like asking "Why are you guys all carrying guns?" or "Why are we being so sneaky?"

Think about the situation we're discussing:

You approach a house in the middle of the night, and you discover it's occupied.

It's dark...

There's no rule of law...

Zombies and murderers roam the countryside...

...and you're wondering why the person in the house locked the front door?