Server time: 2019-03-18, 14:26 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

Common Sense and RP

I get it. This is a game. No matter how immersive it can get, people have a hard time discarding that DayZ mentality where the goal is to ravage the landscape like locusts. That mindset becomes so ingrained that some people even consider realistic RP behavior to be unusual or bizarre.

When I RP, I try to put myself in my character's shoes. Play the role as immersively as possible. That means I don't use weapons my character's not familiar with, rarely sprint anywhere because it would be murder on my knees with a fully loaded backpack, and I use light sources at night rather than cranking my gamma up.

There are two trends I've noticed recently that are starting to get under my skin: The use of light sources, and locking doors.

Just this evening, I had some variant of the following exchange happen twice!

Random Person: Hello?

Me: Yes? Who is it?

Random Person: ...why is this door locked?

Seriously? Why is the door locked? Why the hell do you think it's locked!? This was just tonight! I've had this happen probably a dozen times in the month since I've returned to DayZ. It's like the idea of someone locking their doors when they go inside is completely alien to them...

The other trend I've seen a few times (though not as much as the locked door one) is people asking me why I'm running around using a lantern/flashlight/chemlight to see.

Because it's dark. The answer is "because it's dark." I'm not sure if you've ever walked around a house during a complete power failure at night, but even in full moonlight, the interior of a house is very, very dark. I'm aware that using a light source makes me way more vulnerable and visible, which is why I tend to find a house, lock the door, and hunker down when it gets dark.

...which leads to people asking me why the fucking door is locked!

Seems like a pretty fair and reasonable question but okay. To each their own I suppose.

A guy once told me this excuse for having his gamma turned up to the max: "I had implants put in when I was in the military so I can see in the dark".

I haven't encountered the lock picking one, but god the gamma goggles annoy me too. You'll see a group of 10 guys walking down a road in pitch black and they all see perfectly. Good thing it's gonna be fixed eventually.

Guest Max

This post seems petty. I think you just need to step back and realize how trivial this is and how mad this had made you.

Well... given one such encounter was with us allow me to state what had happened leading up to that question... and give you a better look into this "Common sense".

One of the members of the group we were traveling in had just been shot at after someone attempted to hold him up, we were leaving the area when we spot you entering a building. Without a proper idea of who you were and with that building having the potential to be used as a firing position we advanced upon and surrounded it.

Yes, we (Mainly I) asked about the doors being locked. We were under the assumption you had just entered the building to get a position on us, the locked doors could have (From our point of view) been a way to slow anyone attempting to breach the building to kill the shooter.

Hence, if you listen to the other questions we asked everything falls into place. We asked if you were alone, if you had heared anything and if you had seen anyone else, as well as the standard "What are you doing here"?

Far as I am concerned, common sense right there for us to do that. From our characters point of view that is, makes sense yea? However, you did not know this at the time. Still it is rather narrow minded to assume it is a "DayZ mentality" without taking a look at what might have provoked the interaction. Perhaps the problem is more your mentality, assuming the worst from interactions. At least, that is what I take from this thread.

Light source, yea. I agree with you there, inside buildings or in some woods. Even when there is no moon or the clouds have blocked out the sky, but just out in a field or walking down a road it is not so much needed. Light sources are a very situation based thing.

A good vent is necessary from time to time about the stupidity of online gamers, jebus knows I have done it.

Just remember what you said in the first line, it is a game. People be dumb as fuck. I do think though this was one of those instances were you write an angry letter then wait a day to see how you feel. Just my opinion though

Well... given one such encounter was with us allow me to state what had happened leading up to that question... and give you a better look into this "Common sense".

One of the members of the group we were traveling in had just been shot at after someone attempted to hold him up, we were leaving the area when we spot you entering a building. Without a proper idea of who you were and with that building having the potential to be used as a firing position we advanced upon and surrounded it.

Yes, we (Mainly I) asked about the doors being locked. We were under the assumption you had just entered the building to get a position on us, the locked doors could have (From our point of view) been a way to slow anyone attempting to breach the building to kill the shooter.

Hence, if you listen to the other questions we asked everything falls into place. We asked if you were alone, if you had heared anything and if you had seen anyone else, as well as the standard "What are you doing here"?

Far as I am concerned, common sense right there for us to do that. From our characters point of view that is, makes sense yea? However, you did not know this at the time. Still it is rather narrow minded to assume it is a "DayZ mentality" without taking a look at what might have provoked the interaction. Perhaps the problem is more your mentality, assuming the worst from interactions. At least, that is what I take from this thread.

Light source, yea. I agree with you there, inside buildings or in some woods. Even when there is no moon or the clouds have blocked out the sky, but just out in a field or walking down a road it is not so much needed. Light sources are a very situation based thing.

Calm down, I actually wasn't including the encounter with you. You're being a tad bit defensive. I'm aware that your situation was different. The two situations I'm referring to involved lone individuals asking me why I had the door locked while I was alone in a house in the middle of the night.

Seems like a pretty fair and reasonable question but okay.  To each their own I suppose.

Seems like common sense why a person would keep the doors locked in the middle of the night.

This post seems petty. I think you just need to step back and realize how trivial this is and how mad this had made you.

It's absolutely petty, and I absolutely don't care. Mad? No, not really mad. Irritated? That's a fair assessment. It's a question nobody would ever ask in a real scenario if the circumstances were the same, because the answer is painfully obvious.

A good vent is necessary from time to time about the stupidity of online gamers, jebus knows I have done it.

Just remember what you said in the first line, it is a game. People be dumb as fuck. I do think though this was one of those instances were you write an angry letter then wait a day to see how you feel. Just my opinion though

Hmm. Did you read the post? Because I was pretty clear that this has happened a dozen times over the past month. I've waited a bit more than a day to vent about it.

681cb7e654b82809d0a3804afa298d758dba5e4e?url=https%3A%2F%2F49.media.tumblr.com%2Ff8d306007614d5c2bdddd86fdfbc94e0%2Ftumblr_nna5xeJO681t9sksvo1_400.gif

I feel these are very reasonable complaints.

Realistically doors would be locked far more often, because the game doesn't actually include locks on doors we take this for granted.

And definitely light sources just make sense.  It would be extremely dark out there.

At the same time people may try to avoid the use of light whenever possible because they would stick out like a sore thumb.

I feel these are very reasonable complaints.

Realistically doors would be locked far more often, because the game doesn't actually include locks on doors we take this for granted.

And definitely light sources just make sense.  It would be extremely dark out there.

At the same time people may try to avoid the use of light whenever possible because they would stick out like a sore thumb.

That's why I don't do any scavenging at night. I don't have my gamma turned up, so I'm blind without light, but using it makes me a target, so I find a place to hide for the night.

I'm also not counting situations where people just walk up and mutter "Why is this door locked?", I'm specifically talking about people that come up, find out I'm in the house, and then ask me why I locked the door. Alone. In a house. At night.

I wouldn't be ranting if it were an isolated incident. I'm ranting because of how often it happens.

This is a very large community, with members spanning from April of this year all the way back to 2013 --all of which have different experience levels and styles of RP. 

There is no way for us to penalize people for not being as thorough as others with little details such as this. Yes, it may be frustrating --a frustration I understand as I myself try to be as realistic as possible in RP-- but it is also a frustration that may be self-inflicted as not everybody is on the same wave-length as everybody else. Part of the joy of RP is the improvisation aspect of it all... an aspect that we may need to exercise --maybe doubly so in situations like you explained. 

If it ever becomes a question that the RP is so bad that it could potentially warrant a report, then those are tools at the disposal of everybody in the community. People have different standards that they set for themselves, and their own RP --standards that are hard to enforce on the community as a whole when there is no actual rule break.

I don't see the problem with this.

I actually find it very bizarre that a you don't understand why a person might lock a door at night.

Is that something you do on a regular basis? Just walk up to locked homes and ask the owners why their front door is locked?

If you found a person in a locked house in the middle of a zombie apocalypse while bandits are routinely robbing people, would you genuinely wonder why the door was locked?

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting that anyone should be punished for this. I'm not going to report people for something this small. As I acknowledged earlier, this is just a rant over a petty, minuscule detail. The practice of asking a person that's locked in a house "Why did you lock the door?" just comes off as...weird to me.

DayZRP, where it's realistic to strip the landscape like locusts armed to the teeth but not to lock your door around strangers apparently,  idk

I thoroughly agree with you even though it's a very unpopular opinion, I do think a lot of people do lose concept of "what is normal". I guess we both have higher expectations of what should be common sense, and I could see that things might be different if some doors were randomly locked by default. I think that players find it weird because in the context of the game it is a rare occurence to find a locked door but reasonably many doors would indeed be locked.

I dislike when people are so goddamn nosy. Like, if I'm sitting in a building relaxing and RPing with people, and someone (Usually a group which outnumber us) waltzes up and is all like," What's going on in there?" and what not. It's fine for RP, but the fact that they want to go IN with us and 'investigate' which irks me. The ones who strong-arm to dig their noses into everything, etc. Seems unrealistic on why they'd want to risk a conflict willingly with people whose intentions they don't know.

I dislike when people are so goddamn nosy. Like, if I'm sitting in a building relaxing and RPing with people, and someone (Usually a group which outnumber us) waltzes up and is all like," What's going on in there?" and what not. It's fine for RP, but the fact that they want to go IN with us and 'investigate' which irks me. The ones who strong-arm to dig their noses into everything, etc. Seems unrealistic on why they'd want to risk a conflict willingly with people whose intentions they don't know.

Because it's "realistic" to go around bullying very single person you meet to assert you dominance in a world where mostly everyone is carrying a firearm and might shoot you.

/sarcasm

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting that anyone should be punished for this. I'm not going to report people for something this small. As I acknowledged earlier, this is just a rant over a petty, minuscule detail. The practice of asking a person that's locked in a house "Why did you lock the door?" just comes off as...weird to me.

No misunderstanding -- just taking the time to plot out my thoughts just as you had.

As someone who tries to play realistically as possible, things like this often effect the way I experience the game as well. I suppose all I am suggesting is to be realistic both in and out of character -- to note that many different people have play styles and experience levels as I mentioned previously. 

Just my two cents on the matter.

I've received a bit of in-character flak for that, too.

People will ask me my name, and I'll respond with "Why do you want to know my name?" and they'll act like I'm being rude because I don't spill my full name and daily schedule to a complete stranger.

My character tends to be a loner, mostly because she's been burned by strangers in the past (and robbed by them, as you can imagine). If she's walking through a field and she sees you suddenly turn and make a bee line towards her, she's going to be on guard, because you're literally diverting your path to go intercept her, and she's not sure why.

Then you come up, and you're all friendly, but you're asking a lot of details. "What's your name? Where are you going? What were you doing? Would you like some company?" All very strange questions coming from a complete stranger in the middle of a total collapse of society.

It's the same reason why I will absolutely break into a full sprint if I see a group of a half-dozen heavily armed guys come running towards me across a field. Otherwise, you're suddenly completely surrounded by strangers that are all doing the FPS dance. I'm much more likely to stand my ground if the entire group realizes how intimidating they look and decides to send a single person over to greet me.

I'm not suggesting that everyone avoid everyone else, because at some point realism needs to give way for RP, but at least treat the situation like it's actually happening. "Excuse me, do you have any AK74 ammunition?" or "Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you saw a group of men in green jackets run by here." Something that doesn't make it sound like you're struggling to make small talk. Small talk makes sense if it's a group of people gathered at a meeting place like a trading post or a watering hole, but in the middle of a zombie-infested city while scavenging for supplies is not the place to be asking "How's the weather? What's your name?"

The level of friendliness is a bit excessive. You can be respectful without treating everyone like they're your new neighbor.

I found this post absolutely hilarious, not because the post itself is funny, but because of how a lot of people choose to RP. This sort of thing fits into the whole "Safe Bubble" mentality that people tend to be. I kind of want to make a parody of it. I would say %90-%95 of the human population is infected with a virus that raises the dead, people are running around the country with fully automatic weapons, robbing and torturing others.. And almost everyone plays the game and RPs as if nothing happened what so ever. 

"Oh, I'm just gonna walk into this town here and not try to be sneaky, hur, dur, hur."

"Oh I am just gonna run across the airfield to loot these military buildings, no need to be discreet what so ever. Hur, dur hur."

Yes, because realistically, no one would totally not just sit in the ATC and choose to take pot shots at you to kill you and steal your food and supplies.. /Sarcasm

There is no fear, and there is a lack of common sense it appears.

The entire locking the door and the light sources thing just brings this all to light. I was over hearing a conversation between some friends earlier, went a little like this. 

"Want to get on SA?"

"Why, everyone is just sitting around having their camp-fire RP and basking in the glory of their camp site."

/Rant over

Gamma goggles grind my gears more that you would think I just dont understand how you can ruin the exciting feeling of not being able to see much so you have to crank up the light and it gives off a bit of a spooky feeling while using it too.

I never had a problem with the locked doors ect but that does seem a little "do you lack common sense?" for someone to be asking that

One other thing you mentioned was using weapons your character is not familiar with which is probably the biggest thing I've run into (not as much recently) but I see people running around with high cap vests and fully decked out AK's ect and yet they have the backstory of a simple office worker which had no hobbies in guns ect what so ever. My new character doesnt know shit about using guns other than pulling the trigger and how to reload a pistol through a little practice just in case (although I deliberately give him shitty aim and take forever to reload) I will pick up something like an AK and give it to someone or just shoot the whole clip off for a giggle (like he would do), the other day I found a SVD and was stoked as fuck considering it was my first one but I thought "shit he wouldnt know how to use it" so I gave it to one of my buddies saying I didnt know how to use it and he would put it to better use.

I can see your point of view and partially agree. Why partially? Well, that's because everyone has a different play style and some people just "play the game" and they don't try to immerse themselves into it as much as possible. What's funny to me is that what happened was a bit reversed situation compared to yours. What I mean is that I played like a month ago on SA and it was night on server so I decided to go inside some building to RP out that I'm resting and hiding because of the night. Then someone entered the building and when he found me he was like "Why didn't you locked yourself inside? You'd be much safer this way". I didn't had a lockpick so I explained as my character that I was too weak and couldn't move any furniture to block the doors and I also didn't had a keys to this house or something like that.

I can see your point of view and partially agree. Why partially? Well, that's because everyone has a different play style and some people just "play the game" and they don't try to immerse themselves into it as much as possible. What's funny to me is that what happened was a bit reversed situation compared to yours. What I mean is that I played like a month ago on SA and it was night on server so I decided to go inside some building to RP out that I'm resting and hiding because of the night. Then someone entered the building and when he found me he was like "Why didn't you locked yourself inside? You'd be much safer this way". I didn't had a lockpick so I explained as my character that I was too weak and couldn't move any furniture to block the doors and I also didn't had a keys to this house or something like that.

But what's the point in playing on an RP server if you don't immerse yourself within the lore and environment? That sounds like those individuals who simply come here due to the no KOS, and in my opinion, they don't belong here. From my perspective, this community is here to craft stories and immerse yourself within the lore that we have created.

But what's the point in playing on an RP server if you don't immerse yourself within the lore and environment? That sounds like those individuals who simply come here due to the no KOS, and in my opinion, they don't belong here. From my perspective, this community is here to craft stories and immerse yourself within the lore that we have created.

Yeah, you're right of course but that doesn't change the fact that what OP described is happening on this server with the people who are supposed to be here because they wanted to play RP and immerse themselves in this world. Maybe for them it's quite natural to be that friendly or it's weird for them to lock yourself in the house at night.

This is a very large community, with members spanning from April of this year all the way back to 2013

#2012membersmatter