Server time: 2017-10-17, 17:11
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
FiftyFootAnt

Did a social experiment

I recently dumped all my stuff in a barrel, outfitted my American character with all low-tier garbage equipment (Taloon pack, chest holster, Amphibia, crossbow, cargo pants, grey hoodie, only cool possession was a Sword), and went wandering through the triangle on a full S1 server to see what would happen. Results:

One group (4-6) outside Stary that sounded somewhat aggressive. I gave them a barrel I'd found and said hi, we talked about the Gamblers moving on a town in the NW and drug movers in the area. They mentioned a couple they were looking for and we peacefully parted ways.

One large group (8+) that completely ignored my greeting other than an off-hand "Hey" from one of them. They were doing internal RP while travelling. I just let them pass.

Handful of individuals at the same time, two of which were a supposedly famous actor and famous track star. They started arguing IC about which was more famous and which SHOULD be more famous and the proper diet to look amazing. Was hilarious to listen to.

Handful of lone pairs and individuals in Kabanino. None of them seemed interested in me.

Best encounter was the Kingsmen on the way back, stumbled into a hostile/torture RP session with two hostages. Surprisingly enough they let me in to watch and agreed after a while to turn the hostages over to me "for further... attention". I.E. medical treatment in the woodline once out of sight. The RP was great (learned a few hostile RP tips by watching them) and while I felt like I was in the company of dangerous people, by playing my cards right I wasn't threatened even once.

My point is that I hear a lot of complaining from people about terrible RP and robbers everywhere, but just about all the RP I encountered and participated in with random strangers was fairly decent, occasionally outstanding. I plan on re-equipping with decent military gear and going out again to see if that changes anything, but TBH the only issues I have had so far was with groups too busy with internal RP to say more than "Hi", which I didn't mind so much.

In the meantime (have to wait until I'm back home in a week for phase 2), my point is that if people seem to encounter only hostile RP, I would suggest re-examining what kind of character you're playing. Frequently in the reports section and elsewhere, I see people using the reasoning "well I'm playing a hostile character, so yeah", or "my character is normally a wonderful guy/girl, unless happens". Great. That's wonderful for you, and I'm sure that you're having fun with it. Doesn't change the fact that you're being an ass, and if you are being an ass to people, they generally won't lean back and say IC to themselves "well, he just insulted me, but since he sounds like he does this all the time, I'll just ignore it". I play a character that actively avoids violence and tries to play the diplomat whenever tensions rise, and beside one fun robbery by the Jackals a while ago, I have never been initiated on and every interaction has been, if not friendly, at least respectful.

tl;dr If your character is an ass (for whatever RP justification) you will probably get mostly hostile RP. If you're NOT an ass (and don't display rare items), you will probably see mostly non-hostile RP. Don't like all the hostile RP? try playing a character who isn't an ass.

giphy.gif

I've been saying for months now, if you dont like hostile RP, dont run around displaying a shit ton of gear and being a dick.

Then get salty over the fact you lost your shit

DatBlueWolf    39

Oh yah. Definitely noticed this. With very few exceptions, being low gear and ultra chill will generally lead to a long life span.

Can't wait to hear what happens in the other condition. If anything make sure that you keep the same attitude that way it shows it is the gear that affects how people interact with you.

Best of luck.

Oh naturally, in any scientific experiment you have to examine only one variable at a time. I'll likely use the same posture, same actions, go through the same area...

Bush    22

Well go figure, it should require a social experiment to come to the conclusion that showing off good gear and being a dick will get you robbed.

Marcunt    239

I think the result was quite obvious, however it's still going to be interesting to see the statistics. Maybe the amount of dickbags is lower than we thought anyways?

I think the result was quite obvious, however it's still going to be interesting to see the statistics. Maybe the amount of dickbags is lower than we thought anyways?

TBH I thought it was too, but I just hear so much about all the bandit RP and hostile RP being so prevalent that I decided to go see for myself. Also, I admit that the results might be a tad off, since it was in a high-traffic area; potential bandits might have been spooked by the number of bystanders within a km. Also time of day might have done it, I was on in the evening on a weekday.

Well I've been playing as a dick with hardly any gear for about 2 months now. Armed with only a tactical vest and jeans for storage. Never had anyone initiate on me.

Played a lightweight smooth talker  for almost a year now, m65 and jeans for storage. I was initiated on by 3 people outside of the reapers, 2 of them was initiation that was planned out. The other one, took a look at me and ran away before getting RP. Other times, it was me or my friends who initiate.

I guess they're both lightweights and both very different in attitude but I hardly ever gotten robbed on both

Keira    1444

I'm curious who this group was that was looking for a couple. I wonder who they were looking for. :troll:

Also, you right. Act like an ass and you get treated like an ass.

Dishes    159

Exactly! Great little experiment! <3

u5RukK9.png

I thought it was just a prank :)

But honestly, this proves that "RP" will occur if you had gear.