Server time: 2017-08-18, 10:52

Sign in to follow this  
Breadman

Breadmans Hunting School

Breadman    11

0hBuQb9.png

So here is my little guide on how to hunt in dayzrp, i have noticed there are a fair few hunters in the community and have decided to lend

a helping hand. You will find: Where and how to hunt, how to rp as a hunter

what gear to have, what being a hunter can do for you in game. I also have a few credits at the bottom

Lesson one: Roleplay

[align=left]So you've decided to take the path of a hunter in game, well i can assure you its not going to be easy, sacrifices will need to be made. A hunter is generally a calm and skilled person who will tend to stick away from the larger city's and populated areas, you will find yourself much better off sticking to the villages considered to be 'hunting areas' such as mista, and other smaller villages. Although you wont bump into people as often, the people you do bump into will tend to be more rp focuses, therefore you can display your character in more detail. In these smaller villages, you tend to have more friendly interactions which can help you to display your traits as a hunter, rather than keeping quiet in kab, or stary.

[align=left]As a hunter you should try to show off your environmental side, talk about the woods and the land more often than others, but don't act like a tree hugger otherwise people will not get the hunter impression. Maybe slipping in what you were just up to at the start of a conversation, an example would be:

"Hey... Well i was just over by black forest and caught some game, would you like some, i know a good recipe"

So you have mentioned that you'r a hunter, its important to remember that you don't have to say 'I'm a hunter' this is boring and people hear it way to often, try and be unique and original, you should make subtle references to your way of life but not take over the conversation. Anther thing that people tend to jump to is 'i live in the woods' by all means camp in the woods but it would be impractical in the apocalypse to live in a tent, its far to cold and not safe enough, a better story if if you go out to the woods, camp for a few days and return. This is a more realistic lifestyle.

Lesson two: Gear

Now to one of the most important factors to your roleplay, and player perspective is gear, this is vital to the look of a hunter, remember a hunter is not a sniper there is a distinctive difference, hunter are hiding from animals, snipers hide from people who know a lot more about finding people. This means that you don't have to look like a sniper with full gorka, a gillie and other military items. However you can take inspiration from them, green and browns for camouflage, you still can stay hidden with some green trousers and a brown hoodie. It is important to look more like a civilian than a militant otherwise people may mistake you for being a sniper- which make you look hostile. Furthermore you should try to have a few crafted items, improvised backpacks and sack are some of the best backpacks as well as crafted clothing, the full leather look is not good makes you look like a hippie however some items like a hat or a vest can make you look more like a craftsmen. 

Know we covered your clothing your probably looking for the bit about your weapons, lets be honest guys we can all shoot a deer with an ak or an fal but if you want to get into a hunter character your going to need to make a few sacrifices, just remember you can still defend yourself with a smaller rifle, in my opinion the Winchester is to large, you can get away with being a hunter but its a bit overkill, the mosin is a good choice as people know its an old rifle, hunters tend to use older styles of rifles therefore the mosin suites the part. Crossbows and bows are all good weapons, if you have the sense to give up high calibre weapons go for them, to hunt they are very good weapons and in your that worried about not carrying a rifle then go ahead and hold an ak-u in you bag, remember if you suite the part it will help you be perceived as a hunter.

so we have covered weapons and clothing, we have one more thing to talk about, general loot, as a hunter carrying grenades and flash bangs are not ideal, instead you should have arrows, feathers, animal parts. you can then present these items for trading and people will see you as a hunter. you will also be participating in the role you intended, as a hunter you should be fairly self sustained and therefore should find it easy to survive, but don't take to much for granted getting yourself in a stick situation can end up with a bunch of thugs taking your beloved rp items, it depends of how you want your character to present them self to others.

Lesson three: Where to hunt

[align=left]After looking online at the maps and locations people have most commonly found animals i have made this map. As you can see the most northern and southen areas will have a higher chance of encounters, but i have commonly found animals in the central bandit triangle although animals spawn you have to be the first to them otherwise you wound find any. I have marked with a black dot the most common location in my personal experience. Just remeber to look around, if you are not aware you will defiantly miss them.

r3u90gP.jpg

Lesson Four: Crafting

[align=left]The last but still vitally important aspect to being a hunter is player made items, these are items you have had to work for. This gives you an opportunity to showcase your catches, leather items proves that you have worked to create them, crafted backpacks also help to show your players ability to take advantage of his resources, we all know that other items are available, choosing a craftable one over an spawned item can help to give you character that hunter ambiance.

Here i have made a small list of craftable items that a hunter would most likely use.

Leather or burlap sack - Rope & burlap or Boar pelt

Leather vest - 4 tanned leather

Leather hat - 1 tanned leather

leather sack - 5 tanned leather

hand drill kit - stick & bark

bow - stick and rope

arrow - sharpened stick & chicken feathers

I hope this guide helped some of the new players, and older ones. I would like to thank the following user his post which inspired me to create this

guide: SovietSyndicate and his post here.

Nice, Might have to try some of these :D

really nice, well composed guide

Phoenix    1045

Very nice guide!

Thanks for contributing this to our community :)

This is actually really helpful. Great guide! Time to hunt some animals :D

zoyo    64

Thanks for making this. I'll be sure to look in those areas. :)

Great guide overall, but I must disagree on the weapons section, where you mentioned that the Winchester was overkill or too big. The Winchester is chambered in .308, which is almost identical in size to the 7.62x54mmr (the mosin ammo), and both rounds are optimal for all-round hunting. Its size is pretty decent in my opinion, and you can have on you a sidearm -usually a larger caliber, such as a .45 or .357 (which is what I personally carry -the Magnum), and that would actually make more sense as hunters tend to carry a sidearm to defend themselves from predator attacks, as sidearms are easier to maneuver with when being jumped by a pack of wolves (hopefully soon to be implemented).

But thanks for the guide! and for the map too. that should come in handy

I did not know Breadman was helpful :D Nice one Ryan, maybe add bone to the arrows to make them better!

Map alone is fantastic. To add a pointer, as far as non-wild animals go the fields about 150-200m directly west of the Berezino police station pretty reliably spawn cattle herds. Large hitbox and generally slow-moving.

Finn    76

Better than my guide :(

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Guide-Playing-as-a-hunter

Edit: Didn't read it all, but now I noticed you mentioned me.. thanks :)

Very helpful guide!

I had no idea where to hunt, so I'm guessing that map will be my new background picture.

Great guide! Very helpful, especially the image. I never knew where to look for game, always just ran around until I stumbled onto something.

really good guide!

Will make use of it :D

Ye this map is good, I usually find my boar or fox around the outskirts of NWAF.

Breadman    11

Cool only just saw this, I will be trying this out need to learn some hunting talk ;). Thanks man!

Better than my guide :(

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Guide-Playing-as-a-hunter

Edit: Didn't read it all, but now I noticed you mentioned me.. thanks :)

Very helpful guide!

I had no idea where to hunt, so I'm guessing that map will be my new background picture.

Great guide! Very helpful, especially the image. I never knew where to look for game, always just ran around until I stumbled onto something.

really good guide!

Will make use of it :D

Decent guide man, good work. I'll have to make some fedoras with this info;).

Really nice guide mate!

very original idea to make a guide on this it is also very well made and informative

Ye this map is good, I usually find my boar or fox around the outskirts of NWAF.

Thanks, much appreciated

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this