Server time: 2017-08-23, 17:34

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Phlox

No last name= Invalid RP name?

Question

Doc Phlox    24

Was playing on S2 as a new character, I only gave him an initial for his last name as my character does not believe that a last name would apply to him, his outlook on life is much more far-reaching than to claim patrilineal/matrilineal descent for a name. Do I need a last name to play?

6 answers to this question

Pussy    312

Yes you do. As far as names that show up on the list, or pulse-checking goes... that's all OOC information. If your character doesn't want to go by a last name, then he doesn't have to tell people his last name. 

For OOC reasons involving reports, and whatnot, yes you will need a last name. There are no exceptions to the rule that way, unfortunately.

Yes. First names may be shortened if it does not fit; however, you need a full surname. Additional info here.

Also, from the Newcomer Guide.

Before joining remember the naming rules! You must use first and last name of your character.

Doc Phlox    24

Yes you do. As far as names that show up on the list, or pulse-checking goes... that's all OOC information. If your character doesn't want to go by a last name, then he doesn't have to tell people his last name. 

For OOC reasons involving reports, and whatnot, yes you will need a last name. There are no exceptions to the rule that way, unfortunately.

Kattica,

Thank you for your quick response. So for reports my name can't be listed as Isaac M? Correct me if I am wrong but I often see reports were people only remember the first name, and rely on hit/connection/chat logs in order to identify perpetrators and/or those involved. The only reason I am even questioning it is because he (Isaac) would never identify with a last name as he believes he has lived thousands of lives in thousands of bodies, a last name would be trivial. Can't this be looked at as Roleplay over Ruleplay, a central tenet of this community?

As well, if I put in a last name, any time I text-rp or emote to do description, a last name will come up. I know it shouldn't be used IC but people read the name and identify the character with it. The initial I can explain quite easily, a last name not so much

Autumn    121

Kattica,

Thank you for your quick response. So for reports my name can't be listed as Isaac M? Correct me if I am wrong but I often see reports were people only remember the first name, and rely on hit/connection/chat logs in order to identify perpetrators and/or those involved. The only reason I am even questioning it is because he (Isaac) would never identify with a last name as he believes he has lived thousands of lives in thousands of bodies, a last name would be trivial. Can't this be looked at as Roleplay over Ruleplay, a central tenet of this community?

As well, if I put in a last name, any time I text-rp or emote to do description, a last name will come up. I know it shouldn't be used IC but people read the name and identify the character with it. The initial I can explain quite easily, a last name not so much

Actually if people use your last name you can technically report them for meta-gaming. However it almost never happens and it is and always has been that you need a valid first and last name to play on DayZRP servers. 

Names that wouldn't be allowed are those that are inappropriate or belong to a famous person. 

While I understand that you don't want to have your character have a last name. You have to, even if it's just oocly known.

-snip

Whilst both those still currently work as far as I know, the question is about having to use a last name for your character, not the name being too long.[