Server time: 2017-08-22, 09:22

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Phlox

New Age Character/Reincarnation

Question

Doc Phlox    24

Hey all, 

So I was thinking of starting a new character. I wanted him to be like this New Age spiritual guy who is all into peace, love and hair-grease. You know the type, man-bun and beard likes to think he is saving the world by wearing those hemps shoes that if you buy one they give a pair to the child who was forced to make them originally.

Anyway, this guy believes heavily in Shamanism and Reincarnation. So I want to know if a scenario in the life of this man would be NVFL. Let us say I am being held hostage and the man puts a gun to my head and says he will shoot me. Am I allowed to say that I believe I will be reincarnated, thus making the murder irrelevant? I would steer clear of acting like the murder happened, obviously. I can RP it out that with my rebirth, I lose certain memories associated with violent acts.

And I would not use this belief system to try and act like a "super soldier". I don't want this man to even carry a gun. Just be a real chill hippy that tries to commune with the spirits.

I know this may sound weird, but I want to find ways to make it work somehow. Again, I wouldn't use it to explain away my death, and then go to the man who killed me and be all like "see, I am Jesus". I would use it more as a character and RP tool and as well use it to be really calm in the face of death.

Any feedback welcome.

6 answers to this question

Boston    650

Definitely a unique idea. As long as you do research on this character, and combine the voice RP with emotes to set the tone and make it clear that you're trying to seriously roleplay it, then yes, this would be okay in my opinion. Just make sure that you're using it only to be calm in situations, and not to break the NVFL or the NLR rule.

Doc Phlox    24

Definitely a unique idea. As long as you do research on this character, and combine the voice RP with emotes to set the tone and make it clear that you're trying to seriously roleplay it, then yes, this would be okay in my opinion. Just make sure that you're using it only to be calm in situations, and not to break the NVFL or the NLR rule.

100 percent I agree with you. I study Anthropology, and Shamanism is one of my interests. I want to play it like my "essence" if you will, that is attached to the collective of spiritual energy in the universe just goes to a new host and starts fresh. My character (as I don't believe they would really have a true "gender") retains memories from past lives but never retains the memories of death, as the malice and anger associated with them could pollute the energy I am attached to.

Phoenix    1057

Hi there Doc Phlox!

We have discussed your question with a few Staff Members.

What you are describing could, if you are not careful, become a matter of either NVFL or Invalid Execution.

Let me start off with this.

There is nothing wrong with you RPing a Hippie character. 

It has been done before and certainly delivers a very unique Role Playing experience with everyone you come across. 

You should definitely make sure that you research your character well. 

Read through some guides & gain some knowledge over the internet as well to ensure you can deliver the expertees of roleplay that suit your character.

In the situation of a hostile act against you, you would have to be very careful.

If you are as peaceful as you claim to be, there would be no reason to execute you in the first place right? Since you don't pose a threat.

Obviously this situation wouldn't count if you had a large history of disagreements, hostillities and arguments with individuals, which then it would be justified to execute you if RP'ed out properly and thought through carefully. 

What you can not do, is getting yourself executed because you believe that you will come back to life.

For example: Literally begging the hostage takers to kill you.

As long as you make sure it is RP'ed out thoroughly and well, I do not see anything wrong with it.

If you do get executed, there is nothing wrong with believing you were reincarnated as long as you do not remember any events that lead up to your death, as stated in our New Life Rule.

With that being said, I do not see anything wrong with what you are describing and it should deliver some unique RP experience as well.

I would advise you to take your time and effort into researching everything you need to build your character!

Does this answer your question?

Doc Phlox    24

Hi there Doc Phlox!

We have discussed your question with a few Staff Members.

What you are describing could, if you are not careful, become a matter of either NVFL or Invalid Execution.

Let me start off with this.

There is nothing wrong with you RPing a Hippie character. 

It has been done before and certainly delivers a very unique Role Playing experience with everyone you come across. 

You should definitely make sure that you research your character well. 

Read through some guides & gain some knowledge over the internet as well to ensure you can deliver the expertees of roleplay that suit your character.

In the situation of a hostile act against you, you would have to be very careful.

If you are as peaceful as you claim to be, there would be no reason to execute you in the first place right? Since you don't pose a threat.

Obviously this situation wouldn't count if you had a large history of disagreements, hostillities and arguments with individuals, which then it would be justified to execute you if RP'ed out properly and thought through carefully. 

What you can not do, is getting yourself executed because you believe that you will come back to life.

For example: Literally begging the hostage takers to kill you.

As long as you make sure it is RP'ed out thoroughly and well, I do not see anything wrong with it.

If you do get executed, there is nothing wrong with believing you were reincarnated as long as you do not remember any events that lead up to your death, as stated in our New Life Rule.

With that being said, I do not see anything wrong with what you are describing and it should deliver some unique RP experience as well.

I would advise you to take your time and effort into researching everything you need to build your character!

Does this answer your question?

It absolutely does. Thank you very much. I will definitely take the time to get this as legitimate and serious as possible. I won't beg for my life to be taken, rest assured. And I hope there will be no reason to execute me :) just looking for good times and good buds

Hebee    2237

Just so we are clear before I solve this,

You cannot use character beliefs / personality to justify a rule break so please be very cautious if you find yourself initiated on / taken hostage, while your character may believe he will come back, he should still and you should always value his life. This will remain open for more discussion of you need anything else cleared up about this.

/solved

Doc Phlox    24

Just so we are clear before I solve this,

You cannot use character beliefs / personality to justify a rule break so please be very cautious if you find yourself initiated on / taken hostage, while your character may believe he will come back, he should still and you should always value his life. This will remain open for more discussion of you need anything else cleared up about this.

/solved

Yes sir, I don't want to play it like if there is a gun to my head I can just be like "I don't care, I will just come back you can shoot me". I want to play it that I am very attached to this current physical form, as it is comfortable and looks good in jeans, but if I were to lose it the overall implications are not as..final as for others. 

And thank you, I will contact staff with any clarifications I may need