Server time: 2017-08-16, 15:24

Sign in to follow this  
Zero

Using radio broadcast section information IG/IC with the help of pulse check?

Question

Zero    276

I was just curious, we all know the "radio chatter section" states "Strictly in character role play using radio. No OOC posts or content is allowed", this means we can use information from the radio section in-game. Seeing as a lot of people simply just type and don't upload MP3 players of them actually talking, are we allowed to identify others in-game with radio chatter information? 

Example, someone is talking trash to me in the radio chatter, I don't know his name, face, or what he wears, but since he is talking I can identify him by voice, correct? Now, since there is no MP3 to go by, what if I run into this person in game, and pulse check, and by using this information, can I say "Hey, I recognize that voice!" or would this technically be classified as meta-gaming, since I used the pulse check mechanic to help me identify this person? 

It sort of lies in a grey area, so I wasn't sure if I could do this.

13 answers to this question

Personally, I think people should be able to hold others accountable for whatever is said on radio threads, but as you already state it's a grey area. Plus pulse checking someone never looks good. Hopefully staff can clear this up.

Dusty    1020

I would say that yes this is ok. Obviously, you can't say "Oh hey, you're Jack Beaulieu", but you can say "Hey, you were that asshole on the radio! I recognise your voice!". My reasoning for this is that 1. You're not using their name ICly (unless they've told you the name) and 2. It should be treated the same way as text RPing (when you're reading the text in game, you're "hearing" that person's voice; this should be treated the same way).

Of course, I'm not a gamemaster or admin, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I would say that yes this is ok. Obviously, you can't say "Oh hey, you're Jack Beaulieu", but you can say "Hey, you were that asshole on the radio! I recognise your voice!". My reasoning for this is that 1. You're not using their name ICly (unless they've told you the name) and 2. It should be treated the same way as text RPing (when you're reading the text in game, you're "hearing" that person's voice; this should be treated the same way).

Of course, I'm not a gamemaster or admin, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Dont doubt yourself dusty. Couldn't have said it better <3

Boston    643

Gonna wait for staff for an official answer but I'm gonna write what I think the answer will be.

I think that pulse-checking and saying that you recognize the voice is in-fact metagaming, strictly because of the pulse-check. You are using a game mechanic and abusing it to receive information. It's the same thing as if you pulse-check to see if you have KoS, it's metagaming.

Now ofcourse you would recognize their voice, but you can't metagame. Maybe if you know their name from the Radio Chatter, you should ask for their name ICly and figure out that way?

Or perhaps talk to the person in TS and ask what their character's voice sounds like. Then you can ID them in-game...

I guess we'll see what staff has to say...

Just as you would be able to recognise someone's voice in game if they were talking, you will be able to recognise someone's voice from a radio chatter post, and unless they explicitly state/emote that they are hiding their voice, putting on an accent or otherwise speaking differently. It is certainly plausible that your character would recognise their voice, however don't just run up and check someone's pulse and then start being hostile, you should always make sure it isn't evident that you are checking someone's pulse because it can really break immersion having someone obviously sprint towards you and check your pulse and immediately start being hostile. It is quite a grey area however, if the person in the radio-chatter does not emote which character is speaking (which is rare), I'd say you would not be able to use the information in-character as there is a chance it is not the character which you're talking to. You want to be certain OOC it is the same character before you use your character's knowledge of the voice, as you could be mistaken OOCly, which would begin to fall under the blanket of metagaming, as your character would not recognise their voice if it was a different character.

Pulse checking someone to learn their IG name and then using that info in-character in a situation where your character would not know that information is meta-gaming. However using pulse check to confirm that someone is a person whose voice you'd recognise is not metagaming, as you are not using info gained OOCly for IC gain as your character already knows what they sound like, but you OOCly do not. Remember: using pulse-check itself is not metagaming, it only becomes metagaming if the information gained is used IC in a situation where your character would not know that. An example would be if you gave someone you've never met before a fake name, they pulse-checked you and then became hostile about you giving a fake name. Their character would never know that.

An example: You see someone's radio post, they say they killed a bunch of people and are insulting you. In the post they emote their name. If you were to approach someone in game and pulse check them, finding that they have the same name, you now know OOCly that it's the same person. IC you would likely be able to remember the voice depending on how recently the radio message was. This would be enough for you to raise suspicions and you could definitely question them about it. Obviously they could deny it, many people give fake names which is not against the rules. Your character would most likely not be 100% certain.

Overall, if you play it correctly and ensure you only act on what your character knows it will not be metagaming, however it can be very easy to slip up and use OOC information, so be careful.

Chinchilla    75

IC knowledge is IC knowledge.

OOC knowledge is OOC knowledge.

A pulse check is OOC knowledge, Always.  RP with someone to find out who they are.  A handheld radio would not have the greatest voice quality anyway.

As far as radio transmissions go:

*Zoya picks up the radio and take's a deep breath before transmitting in a thick Chernarussian accent*

^ this is OOC knowledge, your character doesn't know Zoya picked up a radio and took a deep breath, the voice is unknown to you.  However since I've included that I have a thick accent, you can totally ask every Chernarussian female with an accent if they are the person who sent the radio transmission.

---- Now if you already know Zoya IC, it's safe to say you know her voice

The reason a pulse check shouldn't be used mainly is because if I list zero names, and you're using my forum account.... or say it's a new RP'er who might not put indepth emotes in with their radio broadcast, then you're assuming the name listed with the forum account is the person, when it could be any character they play.

In my opinion pulse checking was a way to identify someone's heartbeat, and happens to say a name. You should really never pulse check someone unless you're actually checking the pulse of a body. I hope there is a day where they add an animation for it so the metagame stops. In terms of radio broadcasts some people go as far as to actually record a broadcast, post it, and then it's fine, but really shouldn't use any information off a pulse check regardless if it has a correlation to radio broadcasts.

Defiance    96

I personally despise pulse-checking. I would avoid pulse-checking unless you need to ID someone to make a badRP report or something to a similar effect.

I cuss out everyone that pulse-checks me in game. Would you really get THAT close to smelly, dangerous old man? Often times, this ruins the RP for me and forces my hand in becoming hostile. So please, just don't pulse-check me.

Zero    276

I'm glad I have gotten all of these responses, now, obviously, I would never run up to a random stranger and just pulse check them, it's bad-rp in my opinion, I was just kind of using it as a reference point I suppose. I personally am quite good at recognizing others voices, even if I have only heard their voice a once or a few times, but it would be kind of hard to say "Hey, aren't you that asshole from the radio broadcasts?" when people tend not to upload MP3 versions of their broadcast. Also, pulse checking someone and then jumping to hostilities is also a no-no.

I just think that it would be awkward to OOCly ask someone these questions, and it feels kind of staged because everything isn't dynamic and as fluid.

Honestly, I think Dusty gave the best explanation.. But what if we don't want to go through all of the OOC hoops just to figure out what someone sounds like so their actions could lead to RP in game? There's not really much we can do besides pulse checking, unless they blatantly state their names out loud both on the chatter thread and also in game. I understand the entire pulse checking ordeal, but this seems like the only situation where it would be defined as a gray area.

It just seems like we could be missing out in some great interactions because of this.. Since I've been here, I keep my record as clean as possible, and if something makes me second guess if it's okay or not, I simply just don't do it and walk away from the situation.

Here's an example I will use, Shean Kelly on the radio chatter thread, he speaks about how he killed a family and skinned them, talks about all the bad things he does and how he is on the run from people because of his actions, there's some good role-play being missed out here because I have this grey area and I don't want to cause any problems.

Another example I will use maybe to try and clarify it more. Let's say Shean Kelly is in game, I run into him, we are in a trader zone, or in a town, something along those lines, he is talking, then he emotes that he does something Shean Kelly : *Takes out water bottle and hands it to John Smith* and then he continues his conversation, would it be okay for me to suddenly realize who that person is and call him out on his actions that he stated he did over the radio broadcasts?

I definitely know what this person sounds like because he is talking on the radio constantly, but how can I know this in game?

I suppose the situation is "I know this information IN CHARACTER already, but for me to actually use this information I have to obtain it OUT OF CHARACTER, like from the examples I have provided..." If that makes sense?

Hum what about this

Eli Smith picks up his radio and presses down the PTT key

-Hello is anyone out here if so please contact me on this freq

Eli releases the PTT key and places it in his backpack

[align=left]From this simple radio message you know OOC I am Eli Smith now even tho I never used actual voice you would still recognize it.

So you "read" this message over IC radio broadcast. You happen to run into me in say VMC I emote something/text RP or even state my name is Eli, you would "recognize" my voice via IC radio broadcast I posted.

This kinda falls in the lines of those who text RP, you can read what they text which you "pretend" is voice you know their name OOCly but not IC yet, a few days later you run into same person again you see the text you would recognize who it is from the past encounter.

Now to spark the RP out of this- If you happen to check the radio broadcast a good bit you see what all is being broadcasted then, you find me and it clicks "this guy posted in the IC radio chatter"  you could just simply be "Hey you sound familiar but I don't think we have met yet, or " I think I heard you over my radio as you sound familiar"

Now say you find me and I don't talk, you could always wait and assume I will talk/emote/text something but if I don't it's one of those deals where you might have to push the RP to gain their name IC to lern of a radio message sent and then you could assume they were the ones who did it by voice. Or you could even pulse check, their are a few ways to check it without making it super obvious like runnin up to a guy and checking it and backing off, just have a tinker a bit.

Hebee    2205

I would say it would not be meta gamimg, in this instance but I would also not let my character recognize the voice after one simple radio message either, maybe after a long back and forth via the radio your character could technically recognize the voice, because you also have to remember voices sound different over the radio, based on quality of the radio and distance of signals. Just a few things to keep in mind. See what they emote too maybe there is static popping in and out over the frequency, make sure they specified what character, make sure they are not faking an accent all things that would help determine your actions as well.

I am going to mark this as /solved but I will leave it open for further discussion and more possible input that may help you more.

Zero    276

Thanks guys for all the responses, you helped clear up the subject a lot.

marksman48    34

Thanks guys for all the responses, you helped clear up the subject a lot.

So now that you've gotten a shitton of responses and had some time to think, what do you think? What are you going to do?