Server time: 2017-08-16, 19:39

Sign in to follow this  
Edyhynot

Own Voice

Edyhynot    50

Okay so ive never really like my voice but after hearing myself on a video i am mortified kinda put me off playing i sound so foolish, Does anyone else hate there own voice or is it just me.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, it's a pretty common thing for people to dislike how their own voice sounds because it sounds completely different to how you hear it yourself when you speak. I'm sure others don't find your voice foolish or anything of the sort. If you don't like your own voice that much you could always try to put on a voice, that can be fun.

When I first heard myself in a video, I absolutely hated my voice. Even from time to to time it still bothers me. After awhile you'll get kinda used to it though.

Edyhynot    50

ive tried many times trying to put on a different voice before i heard it because when i would start a new char and bump into someone i knew they would auto know its me not know i was on a new char and say is that Jason lmfao so jealous of these people who can do all the different voices

Edyhynot    50

I cringe every time I have to upload a video and listen to myself... Not even sure how people put up with it.

lol i was just thinking the same thing id hate to play with me

Yoshi    54

I've always hated my own voice. That's why I don't listen to myself often. My headset/mic setup lets me listen to my own voice through instant feedback, but it's still so instantaneous that I only register it as if I'm hearing myself speak naturally. When I listen to a recording of the same instance afterwards, I find it disgusting. Others say they like my voice.

I'm never sure what to think of my voice since I can't hear it the way others do.

Also:

/moved to general discussion.

I cringe every time I have to upload a video and listen to myself... Not even sure how people put up with it.

Can always text RP ;)

Edyhynot    50

Can always text RP ;)

lol it would take me all night to have one conversation my spelling is awful

I think this video really explains it best. I was curious about this a few years back so I looked it up. There's actually a scientific reason to it all.

Here is the link to the actual article. Link

[spoiler=Good Mythical Morning talking about it]

[video=youtube]

Dusty    1021

I absolutely hate my voice. I think I sound like a child (I sound young, but I know it's not that bad) or just weird? To be fair, the voip quality in DayZ isn't the greatest and can make people sound fuzzy or low quality.

Also, that's a pretty interesting topic discussed in the video, Issues.

+1 for GMM video too

Doc Phlox    24

I used to do a lot of student films, when I had a friend who thought himself the "next Scorsese". Anyway, even after like a dozen of these things I never got used to my voice. I hated it SO much when I had to go to screenings, wound up skipping more than half

It is human nature to not like the sound of your own voice and you don't hear it the way everyone else does. Same with the way you see yourself in a mirror. Science man. Science. :)

Terra    1362

People say I have a nice voice. Of course, hearing my own voice is strange and I dont like it. I roleplay in voice and I record myself reading my own story, simply because I believe what the people say ;) Be confident!

Dicey    5

I think this video really explains it best. I was curious about this a few years back so I looked it up. There's actually a scientific reason to it all.

Here is the link to the actual article. Link

[spoiler=Good Mythical Morning talking about it]

[video=youtube]

Adding another video;

[spoiler=Why do I hate the sound of my own voice? - BrainStuff]

[video=youtube]

TL;DW you hear two inputs. One the soundwaves you create when you speak, and the other as vibrations that conduct through your body, particularily bone. So when you hear one without the other, it's unsettling, because it doesn't sound like yourself, which you are very used to.

The Marshal    351

Interesting input above, learned a good amount.

I personally also hate my voice. Others disagree.

I don't think anyone can say they are completely satisfied with their own voice, I know I'm not. :D

Once i hear myself i think "why i am not reported for underage?" But people say i sound old lol.

There's the thing tho, you never like your own voice as far as I know. I always think I sound too Chinese but my accent can be easily understood, I hate my Russian accent but apparently it's alright. It's really a self conscious thing, it's a lot like thinking you're shorter than you really are or you're inadequate in bed when you do just fine.

Hebee    2205

Yeah it's fairly normal to not like your own voice, I hate mine personally. I think it is something to do with how you think you sound .

Ramon    327

yep, I have this problem to... I hate it to hear my own voice in my or other video's..

And sometimes I ask people is my mic okay because its sounds so lame.. :(

It's just one of those things, like a bad photo for instance

zoyo    64

I was surprised how I sounded quite a bit different in recordings, but it never bothered me too much. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. :)

Keira    985

I cannot stand my voice. I cringe every time I hear it on video. But it's my problem and I have more fun playing and I hardly ever hear my own voice anyway so It doesn't bug me as much.

yep, I have this problem to... I hate it to hear my own voice in my or other video's..

And sometimes I ask people is my mic okay because its sounds so lame.. :(

Aw Ramon! You have a lovely voice. Don't be so hard on yourself Mr. White!

Joffrey    711

Certified narcissist checking in:

I love the sound of my voice. Thank you, genetics.  ...   ... I'll see myself out.

*Hangs head low in mock shame, and quietly exits the building.*