Server time: 2017-08-19, 05:47

Sign in to follow this  
zoyo

Emoting on notes?

Question

zoyo    64

So I had a thought the other day. Would it be okay for some one to leave a note somewhere, but not for the purpose of leaving a message for someone? Let me explain.

Say for example you and your friends were camping, and before you go you leave a piece of paper with something written on it. It might say something like; *you find a charred piece of paper near the fireplace, you may also notice the fire has been out out quite some time. Also there are empty cans lying around, it looks like some people were here, but they're probably long gone.*

Do you get what I mean? The way I see it, it would be a cool way to provide RP without actually being in the same area as someone else. It might spark up a conversation between the people who find the "note." Basically you wouldn't RP this as actually reading the note, but finding some paper and you get to choose whether or not to acknowledged the details to our hypothetical campsite or whatever the case may be. I feel like this could be used in a lot of cool ways. I just want to know if it would be a rule break or not. I dont see it as power gaming as long as you word it correctly. In the example above I wrote, "you may notice." This way you wouldn't be forcing any role play onto anyone.

Can anyone help me out with this?

10 answers to this question

CorbSlayer    34

It sounds like a good way to spice up some notes and RP in general. Like you said be careful to avoid powergaming, as long as it is something like the example you provided, i think it is alright.

DarkSide    229

If you leave the note for like RP purposes and all I see no problem with it. If you put *You mat notice* It would be a little bit better as you dont want to force someone to notice things that they dont want to notice. To me it would be some good RP if you leave a trail of papers with some RP behind it and it leads that person to you for even more RP. Im curious on what staff will say.

Edyhynot    50

like a trail of notes ermmm murder mystery my char alex would get a kick out of that would be cool unique rp and if someone found it who didn't want to do it they leave the note were it was

Guest Max   
Guest Max

Idk. Sounds pretty nice to me, Zoyo.

Joules    226

Based on your example, I think that this could be something with in the rules. The main concern would be if you were forcing their RP, and based on your example it appears that you aren't doing that.

So if you were to say that the "do" notice these things, I would see an issue with this.

Another way you could word this is "At the campsite are three empty cans, and the fire looks as if it has been long abandoned". This way you are just emoting the environment and it's appearance. That isn't saying that they notice it at all, but simply stating what the place looks like, which also isn't an issue.

Another example that sort of applies is this;

Let's say someone has a super scared face and wears a balaclava or maybe a clown mask. They remove the mask and emote *You notice a large scar along his left cheek*. This forces the person into noticing.

Now if they just said *there is a scar along his left cheek* then there is nothing wrong.

I have done this already a few times in-game and I would recommend an addition to the rules to clarify. In my experience it has worked out alright and when used more it could lead to pretty interesting RP.

I think it should be fine, it seems like something rather interesting. Notes itself have a lot of potential to begin rp situations but they're always so mundane.

Like what everyone else said, it should be fine.

If it ain't, it should be allowed

Roach    1535

I have done this before quite a few times with Quinn. Recently we did it in this example.

Our car in the Mafia has a paper inside saying *You notice the letters NWM carved in the dash*

I mean the person does not need to be powergamed as he/she would just throw away the paper.

It's up to them at this point to accept it or not.

zoyo    64

Thank you everyone for your input. You've all been very helpful. :)

staff can /solve this now.