Server time: 2017-08-22, 20:36

Sign in to follow this  
Jowad Berekdar

Feeling pretty embarrassed

First of all I would like to thank all the members of this community for providing me with such a great chance to experience DayZ in a whole new way. I haven't had much interaction with people IG, but the few people I have run into provided really great RP.

Now, I would also like to apologize to many of those people. In some cases, I have provided bad RP (At least I think so) on my end. I stutter alot, I press all the wrong buttons (almost initiated on a guy by mistake today while trying to zoom on him), and I just dont know what to do when I'm interaction with people. Its usually some small talk and then me going on my way because I'm busy -when I'm not. I just dont know what to say/do.

So I wanna apologize to the first guy I ever met on this server, because he just wanted to know where North was and I threw my flashlight in his face. And to apologize for Dom (?) who gave me a hunting scope for free, and in return I provided minimal RP + Mom yelling in the background, and to apologize for the robot-voice guy today, with whom I completely messed up my RP when I first almost accidentally initiated on, then had to leave mid-RP because someone was on the door and no one else was home.

And I wanna ask if any of you know any threads/posts/websites that can help me improve my RP.

Thanks! Rolle forgive me plz

Finn    76

-snip-

On multiple occasions I accidentally raise my weapons.

This happened just recently too, when my friends and I (a group of 5) encountered the Gamblers + Masquerade (a group of what looks like 15).

It was awkward for me because they were on the edge of robbing us or not, and I accidentally raised my weapon.

But I know a good counter for this is if you accidentally raise your weapon, I usually aim my screen at the ground so they know it was an accident.

-snip-

-snippidy-

But I know a good counter for this is if you accidentally raise your weapon, I usually aim my screen at the ground so they know it was an accident.

Hmmm...never thought of that, which is odd. I just hope this doesnt happen again but if it does I'll go with that and hope I dont get shot.

CorbSlayer    34

When i first started to RP i also stuttered a lot and was pretty nervous overall. A little tip i could share is before you log on, sit at the main menu and take some time to get in character. Think, what would my character be thinking about right now? What would he be doing right now? If you just get nervous, try out text RP, i do it once in a while and I enjoy myself. 

As far as what to say, there are a few guides that are helpful that i would link if i weren't on my phone. Off the top of my head, think of someting to say to the person you are talking to that makes them care. Maybe say you are looking for someone, say you are running from someone. Something interesting that will make them care and get invested in your RP. 

I hope this was helpful in the slightest, like i said try reading some guides about RP.

And one more tip, loosen up, we are all here to RP and have fun, and I find it is a lot easier to RP when I am enjoying myself.

When i first started to RP i also stuttered a lot and was pretty nervous overall. A little tip i could share is before you log on, sit at the main menu and take some time to get in character. Think, what would my character be thinking about right now? What would he be doing right now? If you just get nervous, try out text RP, i do it once in a while and I enjoy myself. 

As far as what to say, there are a few guides that are helpful that i would link if i weren't on my phone. Off the top of my head, think of someting to say to the person you are talking to that makes them care. Maybe say you are looking for someone, say you are running from someone. Something interesting that will make them care and get invested in your RP. 

I hope this was helpful in the slightest, like i said try reading some guides about RP.

And one more tip, loosen up, we are all here to RP and have fun, and I find it is a lot easier to RP when I am enjoying myself.

Fair points. I'll try the getting into character thing cuz that will probably fix most of my problems. As for the objectives, I've been pretty empty-handed since the guy gave me a hunting scope. Guess Ill just have to make a new objective to achieve. But thanks for the tips!

would be easier if I could just KoS everyone tho

Hagger    117

The thing that in my opinion helps with talking and avoid stuttering is to start speaking English to yourself before you go into RP.

I must look and sound like an idiot when I talk to myself, but it really helps me to put my brain into "English -mode". If I don't do this the very first contact with someone on the server is bound to be extra awkward. I forget very basic words, make horrible grammar mistakes and just sound like I'm drunk.

The more time you RP, the better you become at it - Sean 2016

Played for a year and i mess up a lot, don't worry about it. As for your mom shouting in the background, people tend to ignore it or pretend its someone shouting in the distance.

Marcunt    218

Buddy, don't worry about it. Almost everyone acted awkward during their first interactions. After several months of not playing DayZRP and feeling pretty rusty, I somehow spawned with no clothes on and met someone on the road. I barely remembered how to play my character and asked for clothes. It was incredibly awkward. Even further back, during my first attempts on DayZRP, I had such basic and badly made characters. It was embarrassing.

All in all, it's fine. You'll get used to it. The controls as well. No need to worry about BadRP unless you end up in a report ;)

Cheers and good luck in the future.

Ellie    335

We've all struggled when we first joined, you're not the only one.

Definitely utilize all the tools we provide you with, such as guides, tutorials and the newcomers guide. I'm sure youll find something useful there. And then just implement what you learn in game, sure you won't be perfect at it from the start, but you'll gain experience and learn along the way. Don't stress so much, you'll be just fine. Remember to just have fun.

/Moved to General

Phoenix    1058

Please don't worry about it!

I remember when I was new I was super shy, would barely talk ingame and probably did a lot of things wrong, even metagamed without noticing it myself.

What I'm trying to say is - we all make mistakes.

Just take a look at some guides and tutorials, as ellie suggested! They will help you improve your roleplaying.

If you need any tips or a helping hand, you can always come into the helpdesk and have a chat as well. :)

Hebee    2237

Everyone is new at one point, and the more you rp the better rp you can provide. So please do not feel bad just enjoy your time and look at those embarrassing moments as learning experiences.

zoyo    66

They best way you can improve your RP is by getting in game and practicing. You should remember to always focus on the unique things you can offer for RP, but watch what others do carefully and adopt what you like to your own RP style.

Watch others, practice, get criticism, learn from them, see good examples and bad examples.

It's simple to do and it's very big of you to come out and actually say in your own opinion that you provided "BadRP".

Keep up the hard work and improve.

Practice makes perfect man! You'll get there. Just do your best and have fun with it!

Wow...thanks for the tips and replies guys!! Guess Ill just have to slow it down a little until I get the complete hang of the dank RP!

Samaritan    254

It is a learning curve which everyone has to start off on. No one is perfect at RP when they first start out, even after 2.5yrs here I'm still learning an adjusting my RP to provide a better experience. At the moment things feel un-natural to you but with time and practice things will get better along with your confidence.

Edyhynot    50

i would like to say some times i feel the same way as you when you come across people who are so good at rping i always feel like i let them down as i am learning, but as others say the more you play the better you will become i believe over the last week or so i have improved, but some tips ive done is message people on the forums after you have rp'd with them to get feed back jump into ts for feed back most people will understand as long as you try to rp people are so cool about it and this community is fantastic because people always help you along the way and are never nasty about it, not only that the fact you have made this topic means you do want to provide good rp so stick with it.

a little tip when your alone get some paper and write down what all the actions do like f1 f2 and so on

-snip'd-

a little tip when your alone get some paper and write down what all the actions do like f1 f2 and so on

Yea I did that a while back, after I accidentally flipped someone off instead of sitting next to them xD

Edyhynot    50

but yeah the best thing that helped me was talking to people on the forums a lot was more then happy to meet me in game and as i watched them rp i picked up tips from watching them playing with great rp is scary because you don't think your good enough and you seem to back away a little when i played with the jackals i felt so bad because there was so good so i barely said anything but as time goes things get easier don't get me wrong i still feel that way a times but it does get easier

RavioliKing    10

If you need to go answer the door, or need a toilet in real life, or similar events where you need to afk for a minute or 2, just say, in-game, that you're going over to a tree to have a wee, and then use //OOC to tell them you'll be back real quick, problem solved :P

Stradic    266

I wouldn't worry about it. We all need to start from somewhere, I'm sure everyone can tell you of a few mistakes they made when they first joined so just give it some time and I guarantee you'll see your RP improve.

When you say Dom, do you mean Dom Hound? (The kid)

And join a group! Best way to improve RP, I recomend taking 10mins before joining the server to compose yourself into that character, think what he/she would do and say.

I would say if you are struggling that bad by yourself I would recommend finding a group to play with to get the feel of others and their character around you and their role-playing with brush off onto you. That is what has happened for me in the last year of playing and remember to keep your head up.

And join a group! Best way to improve RP, I recomend taking 10mins before joining the server to compose yourself into that character, think what he/she would do and say.

Not sure, honestly. American sounding guy. silcended AK and all. seemed pretty cool tho. 

I would say if you are struggling that bad by yourself I would recommend finding a group to play with to get the feel of others and their character around you and their role-playing with brush off onto you. That is what has happened for me in the last year of playing and remember to keep your head up.

I would join a group but sadly I dont have much time and I'm not always available, so I would hate to mess up any InternalRP thats already going on between the members. I do plan on finding some people to become friends with IG and maybe team up with them, as so far I dont really have any.

Marcunt    218

Not sure, honestly. American sounding guy. silcended AK and all. seemed pretty cool tho. 

I would join a group but sadly I dont have much time and I'm not always available, so I would hate to mess up any InternalRP thats already going on between the members. I do plan on finding some people to become friends with IG and maybe team up with them, as so far I dont really have any.

Real life goes over any sort of RP, buddy. I believe most, if not all, groups think like that so it should be fine to join anyways. I've seen you active on the forums here and there so I think you would have enough time :)

We are not evil people, we just want to have fun.