Server time: 2017-09-24, 14:03

Sign in to follow this  
Garry Hippo

The bad side of the community

Stradic    279

All I can say is try not to define that person based on how they act in game. At the end of the day this is a video game with people merely acting a certain role, some of the most hostile people you meet IC are actually some of the nicest people you can meet OOC.

Mamba    0

Well, with all respect to Rolle I disagree. You see you are only giving your version of the events that unfolded. What you say people are badgering you and insulting you, but we have no context. If you report every little thing that ruffles your feathers you're going to be having a bad time, and spending a lot of your time filling out reports. Not all role-play is going to come up smelling like roses, you will be robbed you will find that not all things are going to go to the planned route of your game plan. My suggestion is that if you feel you were wronged, contact a Community Helper and ask their opinion explaining the situation, gather the evidence that you have "best if recorded" and then submit a report if you feel strongly that you have been wronged. All I'm saying is contact staff and consult them before filing a report, as they will not be able to tell you to file or not file a report, but you can at least talk to them and get an opinion.

It is also a suggestions to read the rules before filing a report to make sure that rules are actually broken, and you're not filing a report based on "salt".

My advice as a player is as follows:

1) Avoid bandit hot spots while traveling alone, this applies to the "Vybor Triangle"

2)If initiated on be polite and comply. If you are surrounded by 7+ and decide to leg it, you're probably going to get shot.

3) Tough talking while captive shows no value for life. It's ok to play your character but, think how your character would and know that 9 times out of 10 your Character would want to survive.

4) Make friends, there is always strength in numbers.

5) Make sure you have your story straight. Again, most times I initiate on somebody is because they switch their story when I am talking to them.

Easy rules to follow. I have been in this community for over a year, in that time I have only been initiated on 4 times. Out of those 4 only 2 of them have been successful "I killed them" the other 2 I ended up walking away from fine, minus gear, but otherwise no worse for the wear.

If you have any questions hit me up in my inbox. I can help you out a little bit.

Garry Hippo    3

Well, with all respect to Rolle I disagree. You see you are only giving your version of the events that unfolded. What you say people are badgering you and insulting you, but we have no context. If you report every little thing that ruffles your feathers you're going to be having a bad time, and spending a lot of your time filling out reports. Not all role-play is going to come up smelling like roses, you will be robbed you will find that not all things are going to go to the planned route of your game plan. My suggestion is that if you feel you were wronged, contact a Community Helper and ask their opinion explaining the situation, gather the evidence that you have "best if recorded" and then submit a report if you feel strongly that you have been wronged. All I'm saying is contact staff and consult them before filing a report, as they will not be able to tell you to file or not file a report, but you can at least talk to them and get an opinion.

It is also a suggestions to read the rules before filing a report to make sure that rules are actually broken, and you're not filing a report based on "salt".

My advice as a player is as follows:

1) Avoid bandit hot spots while traveling alone, this applies to the "Vybor Triangle"

2)If initiated on be polite and comply. If you are surrounded by 7+ and decide to leg it, you're probably going to get shot.

3) Tough talking while captive shows no value for life. It's ok to play your character but, think how your character would and know that 9 times out of 10 your Character would want to survive.

4) Make friends, there is always strength in numbers.

5) Make sure you have your story straight. Again, most times I initiate on somebody is because they switch their story when I am talking to them.

Easy rules to follow. I have been in this community for over a year, in that time I have only been initiated on 4 times. Out of those 4 only 2 of them have been successful "I killed them" the other 2 I ended up walking away from fine, minus gear, but otherwise no worse for the wear.

If you have any questions hit me up in my inbox. I can help you out a little bit.

First of all, I was just talking about this theme in general. I did not make this conversation because of one simple situation ig, this has happened to me multiple times, and I feel like it is something to start a thread about. Trust me, If I made a thread about every single thing that got me upset, I would be filling up half the forums. Like I said before in my previous post, I did not wright because my "feathers had been ruffled" and by no means was this conversation originally a report. You don't have to believe my side of the story, but I dont think you want me go into detail about the context either. If you want a full summary about whats been happening you can contact me privately. Ill say again, I did not make this thread based on "salt" or anger, just out of curiosity, confusion and a little impatience.

Mamba    0

-Snippidy doo da-

No, I think maybe you're confusing what I was trying to say. I wasn't criticizing you or this post. I recognize that you are a newer member of the community and was merely giving you some suggestions that have helped me. One of them just pointing out that there is 2 sides to every coin. I feel that there is a difference between being a hostile role-player and shit talking in order to bait into an initiation. I never implied that you are "lying". Apologize for any miscommunication.

Dustup    124

The best way to look at it is that their character is insulting/shit talking your character, not the person is directly insulting/shit talking you. 

Sometimes there are good IG reasons to be nasty to people.  You are looking at a situation where society has broken down, there are no more official laws and no organised force or system to enforce them, and most if not all people would have seen or been involved somehow in some pretty disturbing stuff by today's RL norms (in non-conflict countries).  There will be groups who are fairly parochial, and will instantly be distrustful of strangers coming into their area, and they may think IC that the best way to deal with them is to have them feel as unwelcome as possible to get them to leave and hopefully never return.

However, there are times that I have come across in game where it seemed like people were just starting shit for the sake of starting shit, and if it were a RL situation where they were not "protected by the rules," that their behaviour would be unlikely to happen and a stupid course of action, but I think that this can also be a good time to maybe have your character try and de-escalate the situation and/or get out of there. 

Sometimes it can be hard to differentiate the two but other times it should be obvious, e.g. you will hear them keep saying "oh yeah, well what are you going to do if i don't..." or something along those lines.

Para    280

I do agree. If there is context behind the hostility I think it's fine. However, a person being extremely hostile for the sake of being hostile is... Well kinda shitty to be honest. It doesn't leave the recipient much room to rp and isn't a very fun situation to rp out.

I also think to blame it on ones character is a poor excuse and kinda insulting to those genuinely playing a hostile character well. Best example is Cerna Liska. They're hostil e as hell if you piss them off but they don't start with hostility.

Breadman    11

hey try to out do there aggression in game, try and help those who are looking for a friendly rp sesh. making a character with a voice and that dose not relate to yourself helps to make things not feel personal, believe me there not.

Boston    729

Certainly an interesting topic and one that I love to discuss.

The way I see it, Hostile Roleplay is some of the funnest and most interesting, if done correctly. If it isn't done correctly, it gets old.

Here's what I mean...

Situation A: A Chernarussian local walks up to you. He is a nationalist, and is very proud of his country. He says "Ahoj" (Czech/Chernarussian for 'Hi') and you, as an American say "Hello...". He recognizes your accent as an American, and proceeds to spout several insults about how you are a filthy pig trespassing in his lands, and you should leave his country.

Situation B: A relatively young sounding American walks up to you and says "That's a rare looking pair of boots you got there. Wanna hand 'em over?"... You refuse, and he keeps yelling at you about how rare they are. Eventually you hand them over.

In situation A, the Chernarussian had a valid IC reason to be hostile, because ICly, he doesn't believe that Westerners should be in his country. In situation B, it was strictly gear-based, and the only IC reason was for your pair of yellow working boots...

Basically, aslong as someone has an IC reason, then yeah, Hostile RP can be fantastic. Other than that, if it isn't done properly, it can be annoying. What you must understand is that in-character means exactly what is says... in-character. Things like this happen, where people are overtly hostile for no reason. I've had characters like that, and so have many others. It's a style of RP, and whether or not it annoys you, you can't really do anything about it except report it if it gets ridiculous or unrealistic. Other than that, hostile RP is a way of roleplaying and it's not really report worthy unless it's baity or trolly...

Karolis    0

Mostly they do it for getting a reason to rob you. But i try to ignore them or go away.

Unknown Entity    126

People being hostile doesn't mean they're going to rob you, initiate on you, torture you, or kill you. Those calling out on this being baiting may need to hop ig a bit and meet the people who are actually trying to RP in a hostile way. Don't generalize.

I know that ICly I'm a huge fucking asshole. I'm extremely racist, sexist, hostile, disrespectful. However IC I have reasons to be like this, and that's something you can quickly come to understand within less then 10 minutes of rping.

OOCly I'm a nice guy (besides friendly trolling), and most importantly I'm not insulting you to get an initiation, I'm providing hostile RP, not hanging around a fire talking about that cow meat I just got and tanning my hat in a barrel. A huge amount of hostile RPers want just that, RP, just not in the common way people try to.

Give people being hostile a shot, maybe you'll enjoy the experience.

Don't take it personally. Not only is it a bunch of people who know nothing about you IRL but they are also roleplaying.

Seiceps the Deceiver    309

Another thing is not knowing that person's character, I have had extensive play with Joe Morris. (my only character) He acts in a way that comes weird to most people but I have never been reported for it, you might see my interact with someone that i've never met before in a nice way, but when you come around the corner I can be a complete ass-hat. I've grown to know who is worth spending time with and being nice with, and those who I know wouldn't be worth my time.

I've been here almost 3 years now and it is very easy to define people just by their tone, movements, and clothing. If he is military looking he has to have friends so I will brown nose that person. Someone with a pistol and clothes a hobo would wear? You're getting the nasty part of me because you can do nothing for me, and you're a waste of my time.

Once you're here long enough and RP enough with different people you develop a 6th sense, Who to fuck with and not to fuck with.

Sparky    0

Make sure that you are not saying anything that might trigger people into this aggressive manner.

If they are literally coming up to you and shouting abuse or throwing threats around then that's 100% baiting.

Make sure you get the encounter captured if this sort of thing happens again

Guest Zerozael   
Guest Zerozael

Well. You could stop going to highly populated towns or play along with it and roll with the flow. Most people act hostile because that's how they WANT their character to be, and if you WANT or FORCE something, it comes out... Well... Too forceful.

Reacher    2

Something else to consider is that most of these tough acts don't realize how many laughs are happening at their expense on private channels. I've often laughed my ass off with my buddies, with my mic off, at piss-ants trying to be tough.

Don't take it to heart. If you want to be around more positive RPing, join or seek out a hero clan.

Connvexus    36

People just wanna show how "tough" they are cause they want someone to say something back. And then surprise, they point their guns at your for "Disrespecting them" (lol). They usually only do it in large numbers too.

I have found people in game that I want to just fights so bad because they were complete jerks, but then not in game they are the nicest people ever. IC and OOC are two different thing entirely. No matter what, I wouldn't take things personally.

Guest Max   
Guest Max

I have found people in game that I want to just fights so bad because they were complete jerks, but then not in game they are the nicest people ever. IC and OOC are two different thing entirely. No matter what, I wouldn't take things personally.

Exactly. I used to play a character that would shit talk every foreigner he met, but that was just IC. If that person I just shit talked IC entered my TS channel I wouldn't start going off on him. 

Unfortunately for you it seems you can't differentiate IC from OOC and that is something you'll just have to learn.

JohnnyZhu    15

Sure, hostile RP is fine, but too many times it just looks like baiting to initiate. I dont often run into interesting hostile rp in kab.

Kanen    108

As many said OOC and IC are completely different if someone's being a bit of a jerk out of character and you feel attacked directly you should probably message an Admin with proof and an explanation on what is happening.

If it's IC then you shouldn't take it to heart what so ever as it's most likely the way they role-play or them just wanting to cause trouble and get a bit of drama in game. Against the odds they might actually be alright people OOC and just enjoying playing like that IC.

There is a lot of them at the moment "Bandits" but with more Hero groups coming back maybe you should consider joining one of them to help balance the two out. Also with that you will be able make some new friends and feel a lot more secure in game if you're worried about Bandits always initiating and shit talking.

As many said OOC and IC are completely different if someone's being a bit of a jerk out of character and you feel attacked directly you should probably message an Admin with proof and an explanation on what is happening.

If it's IC then you shouldn't take it to heart what so ever as it's most likely the way they role-play or them just wanting to cause trouble and get a bit of drama in game. Against the odds they might actually be alright people OOC and just enjoying playing like that IC.

There is a lot of them at the moment "Bandits" but with more Hero groups coming back maybe you should consider joining one of them to help balance the two out. Also with that you will be able make some new friends and feel a lot more secure in game if you're worried about Bandits always initiating and shit talking.

I agree with Kanen and what most of the people have said in the posts on the past pages, everything that is going on IC is in character, some might call you autistic, retarded, ugly etc. But they do that because there characters would act like the in a realistic scenario. 

In other cases, Some I have experienced, people will be all in your face and yell at you when they have 6 or 7 of their buddies next to them and yell and call you mean things that might cause you to come back with an insult and instantly initiate on you because "You looked at me wrong" or "You think you're tough calling me names?" They look for anything to initiate on you and take your gear.

This will always happen in the Triangle but mostly in Kabanino, that's why we need more hero players rather than bandits, to outweigh them and cause some great Roleplay.

Murray    6

2016 and people still can't differentiate IN CHARACTER actions from OUT OF CHARACTER feelings.

Now, that's not an excuse to roleplay poorly and be a dick for the sake of being a dick. But if it's done properly, a bastard in game will make you respect his roleplay, not hate the player.

Garry Hippo    3

2016 and people still can't differentiate IN CHARACTER actions from OUT OF CHARACTER feelings.

Now, that's not an excuse to roleplay poorly and be a dick for the sake of being a dick. But if it's done properly, a bastard in game will make you respect his roleplay, not hate the player.

"Now, that's not an excuse to roleplay poorly and be a dick for the sake of being a dick." This is more what Im talking about. Again no hate or salt is involved in these situations, I hope everyone understands this.