Server time: 2017-08-20, 19:18

Sign in to follow this  
Garry Hippo

The bad side of the community

Ellie    335

/Moved to General Discussion

Well I get what you mean, I myself play a rather racist and narcissistic character who would insult you the moment you see people. I always based my character on little ideals in the world, for example how being politically correct doesn't matter in most Eastern European country. This is an apocalypse, and people don't give a shit about feelings anymore.

From the way I see it, if we don't have assholes like me, and everyone is well all sunshine and rainbows, the community would be a whole new level of boring. There was a time when such a thing happened, more heroes than bandits. Most of the community decided to say fuck it to the game cause it's as mundane as life.

We need assholes, dicks that hurt your feelings so that when you meet a guy who is nice you'll appericated it.

It's the same in regard with anything, if everyone is a good roleplayer, then no one is a great roleplayer

To taking things personal:

To role-play, you really need to separate IC from OOC. This took some getting used to with me as well, don't worry. But you need to realize that when people are being racist, narcissistic, etc. to you, it's all IC.

To the Bad RP:

Bad RP happens. A lot of newcommers are here trying to learn how to even role-play, if you encounter someone who you think was not roleplaying to the standards of the community, you should try to talk things out with the person. This community encourages others to progress characters IC and progress as role-players OOC. We all want to have a good time.

Not calling you a wimp or anything because I went through the same thing you're going through when I first started role-playing years ago. Just know that once you learn the ropes a bit more, you start taking things IC less personal.

Prince    93

It's just a few people over the internet dude...

ic or ooc it should not effect you to any extent. Only you are in charge of your emotions no one else.

Hamakaze    12

I will say this. Yes there needs to be assholes and most of whats said isn't personal it's just their character. However sometimes it goes a bit far and adds nothing to the RP which is when it gets annoying and i decide to get the fuck outta dodge.

Zero    279

Honestly, if they're trying to bait you into initiation, you should consult a staff member on the matter. Furthermore, if the situation is as bad as you describe and you believe they are breaking the rules, you should file a report in the reports section

Rules - "Force another person or group to attack you to gain revenge rights."

I would also like to say that some people's characters are just, well, jerks, without them, the RP environment would be boring. Just try not to take them so seriously. Also, making friends in game help change the ball-park.

Hagger    117

I am a generally a pretty nice guy. Sometimes when roleplaying you have to act in a way that YOU would not ever act, but YOUR CHARACTER does.

You gotta remember that everyone here are pulling off a role. Don't take stuff personal. People don't know who is on the other side of your character, and nothing they say is meant to you. People are interacting solely as characters towards characters. If you are left with a feeling that you are being hated or something, you could always try to ask people in TS just to chat with you after in game encounters. Might help to defuse the situation and make you realize that the hate was never directer towards you.

Long story short, things that are said IG aren't personal. We are playing roles here and for example I am completely different then my character is. If people call you out IC respond IC. If you want get hostile back to them or do otherwise, it is your choice. Just because people are hostile IG does not meen they are a-holes OOCly.

Long story short, things that are said IG aren't personal. We are playing roles here and for example I am completely different then my character is. If people call you out IC respond IC. If you want get hostile back to them or do otherwise, it is your choice. Just because people are hostile IG does not meen they are a-holes OOCly.

Liska is a prime example. We, IC, are racist and xenophobic Neo-Nazis. But, OOC, we're just a bunch of memers...

Jetwells    242

We are over a year into the apocalypse, Any survivors that have left arent going to be all pally pally. Alot of things have happened in Chernarus that would turn the softest person into a hard nut. Its expected.

Ellie    335

I totally understand where you're coming from. I too felt this way when I was relatively new to the community.

What helped me is getting to know people on an out of character level. Once you actually talk to them, you come to the realization that they're just a normal person like you and me. And they are more than likely nothing like their character. This is where you learn to separate the IC and the OOC. But I think talking to people in the community more often than not helps you take away this sort of thinking. You quickly learn that a lot of people in the community are awesome and are here for the same reasons you are, to have fun and build memories.

Agree with you easily. There is a lot of dick-measuring, and there is a lot of players who focus on trying to create hostilities and friction without reason. I understand personalities differ, but sometimes people outright just act like they're itching for a fight by provoking others, and trying to show dominance, and it comes across as rather dismissive of wanting to roleplay.

Rolle    2452

Insulting people and being aggressive for no apparent reason is usually considered baiting for initiation, you should report it.

Oliv    1559

What I think more people need to consider while in game, is this is a game of chess, not checkers. There is way more strategy in how to handle a situation and carry yourself in game that people often loose sight of the long play here.

It's on all sides though. The hero, the anti-hero, everything. When you start thinking about the long game, you will generally be able bend the situation to your will. I know, I'm starting to sound all philosophical and shit, but I mean it.

When some one is waving their dick around at me in game, I can generally leave mine in my pants and make them look like just some idiot with their dick in their hand. It's just my opinion, but it's how I play my game.

Phoenix    1056

I agree with most people here.

We are in the apocalypse. Think about it as if it was real life. Would people be nice to eachother? Maybe some, but some definitely not.

You can not let anything that people say to you IC get to you OOCly.

We are all actors, representing a character with a set character background. We play our roles that way but OOCly we are a nice bunch.

You just need to get to know more people in this community and you'll see where I'm coming from. :)

Hebee    2229

I enjoy hostile rp, but I do agree with you it gets old when you see the same act over and over, whether it is name calling or racist or just roasting. But do keep in mind if everyone ran around IC friendly it would make the game boring, almost pointless. I would say ignore it but I know it's impossible to considering the amount of people doing it. So I would personally suggest getting a group, generally these people are intimidated by numbers and will not bother you as much if you are surrounded by people. Other than that the same as everyone else is saying it's just ic and try not to let it bother you to much.

zoyo    66

Agree with you easily.  There is a lot of dick-measuring, and there is a lot of players who focus on trying to create hostilities and friction without reason.  I understand personalities differ, but sometimes people outright just act like they're itching for a fight by provoking others, and trying to show dominance, and it comes across as rather dismissive of wanting to roleplay.

^ this

Seen this kind of stuff all the time. It seems there are some people who aren't nearly as intersed in RP most of the time.

In my experience I have had a lot of fun and met a lot of great people in this community.

That being said, A lot of people have trash attitudes.

They go around throwing mud and the second they see anything they dislike or any time they are defeated they run to the reports.

This is sad and very childish. I have had people straight up Bad Rp in my face using ooc saying stuff about skype.

Now I could have gone the little kid route ran to the forum and a ban is a ban.

But instead I took the road less traveled. I caught up with them in TS, I spent some time teaching them how to do it properly.

I sat in and listened as they RPed and coached them as best I could.

Now instead of a ban and a possible enemy to the community, we now have another player who is decent and adding to the community.

On the note of people dieing and crying, what is to say?

Nobody wants to die I can attest to this. But if you just wont die ever, why are you here?

Also if every time you die you go off making a report because mad, why are you here?

The toxic environment I see breeding is the very same that killed Flashmob *For any who remembered*

Again this is just my opinion and I state it out of concern for the communities well being not salt.

I like this place, I have lost many many a RP server in various games due to the people just becoming jaded.

I'd be a damn liar if I said I wanted to have to do it again.

And a final Note HEY GARY!!!!

Joules    228

I see where you, and many others in this thread are coming from. I personally have noticed this behavior in the community through out my time here, and I've grown accustom to it. There really isn't much you can do, but report the badRP and if it is a case of baiting reporting that as well.

Also, the game would get very boring if there wasn't enough hostilities, but that doesn't have to mean DayZRP becomes IniatatERP.

Now onto a bit of a rant, and this is my own personal view. It involves the concept of making sure not to take things OOC for things happening IC.

Now this a great rule to live by 95 percent of the time, but I find it strange that we are using that saying like a magic wand to explain away all shitty behavior. There will be times when someone is doing something OOC, and then justify it by saying "Oh but it's just my character, you should learn to not take it out of character".

Again, for the overwhelming majority of the time, the saying of "Don't take IC, OOC" works, but in a fraction of the time, it seems like we are burying our head in the sand and ignoring the fact that occasionally there are people who will do things shitty, simply for OOC reasons.

It's pretty obvious when someone is being hostile because it's his character and all, and it's pretty obvious when someone is being an asshat to you because he doesn't have the balls to initiate so instead he pushes you until you do it yourself. You will know who is following character and who won't be. Truth is some people want to think they are the strongest, so they do what more or less any randomer from a pub can do and PVP(Nothing wrong with PVP, but it kinda has to have a build-up in RP) At the end of the day you chose what to do, whether it's initate and get lit up by the 5+ who have been waiting for you to do it since you showed up, or simply walk away and not give them the satisfaction or ego boost

Keira    1031

It's just a few people over the internet dude...

ic or ooc it should not effect you to any extent. Only you are in charge of your emotions no one else.

+1

yasbitch2.gif

Garry Hippo    3

Insulting people and being aggressive for no apparent reason is usually considered baiting for initiation, you should report it.

Thanks for clearing things up guys. Sometimes the roleplaying part of this community can be a little confusing. I also would report it, but I don't even remember who any of these people were, Ill just let it be until next time.

Agree with you easily. There is a lot of dick-measuring, and there is a lot of players who focus on trying to create hostilities and friction without reason. I understand personalities differ, but sometimes people outright just act like they're itching for a fight by provoking others, and trying to show dominance, and it comes across as rather dismissive of wanting to roleplay.

Have to agree with Post here, these dominance contests usually end up in a war between groups that will never end until on the groups disbands. It's pretty annoying when it gets to that point IG. In the end, there is just no sense of closure for any of the groups or individuals involved, just feels pretty stale.