Server time: 2017-08-20, 19:26

Sign in to follow this  
James Wolf

Special Forces

James Wolf    0

I'm new to this community but I really think I want to make a new group. The group I have an idea for is called Special Forces and it goes with my character. My character was in the special forces as a US Ranger and was left behind trying to contain the outbreak. He is now trying to find fellow survivors that are like minded to stick together and build a new society that's under his protection. What do y'all think?

Special forces groups arent typically allowed on the server friend.

Ark    202

/Moved to questions and solved as Bruce has provided our outlook on special forces types of groups.

Mike-Styles    19

also you must be a member for at least 3 months before you can make a group. so you need to wait until June before you can make one.

Zero    279

There is a firm "No Special Forces" rule when it comes to groups. So I don't think it'll work.

The official answer: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Special-Forces-groups?pid=1313516#pid1313516

I would like to put my two cents into this. We all know that SF type groups are typically never allowed, and that is within good reason, HOWEVER.. We also know they aren't strictly forbidden if done well and within reason. Here are some examples when they were allowed, herehere, and here. Now, while OREL is not military, I would certainly classify it as a unit capable of special operations and training. I am not entirely sure of Chernarus, but the United States S.W.A.T., has been said to have equal training of our military (reported from a guy that is active Army). I would also like to note there were an additional two other SF type groups within the community in the past year. 

I agree with Rolle's decisions, because these types of groups were held to a higher standard than any other group in the community's history of SA. But.. Are they REALLY  forbidden completely? 

To the O.P., and I don't mean to be rude at all, but there is no way even after the three month period that a SF group would be approved, or even allowed to be played as seeing as you haven't been here since the inception of the community, and that's the only way you could even be possibly considered to be allowed to create, role-play, and lead a SF orientated group. UNLESS your writing skills and role-play were so amazing that everyone knows who you are, and that's a big if in itself.

Also, you may want to take a look at the lore page, the United States never deployed military into Chernarus, and until you get more experience and writing under your belt, I would advise not using a military character, but it's not my decision and you can role-play however you want. And when you do decide to do a military character and if you're not military IRL, I would recommend speaking to myself, Whiskey TangoPreacher, or Frozen CaveMan22. These are just a few of the people that have real experience in the military or know a lot of history and how the military works, especially on things that your character should know.

taac    10

and my 2 cents is a group named "special forces" wouldn't be taken seriously at all. and yeah special forces characters are way overplayed anyway

Regarding the SF groups rule. (you may think this is bias, but this is my honest opinion)

SF groups shouldn't be frowned upon. I get that the idea has been used a lot before, but so has mafias, families, gangs, and of course (my favorite lmao) survivor groups. SF groups are frowned upon because some of them act like supersoldiers. I have 2 things in mind:

1. The current group process, the group has to have a thread and be active for 10 days before recieving LM feedback and/or approval. So, say SF groups are allowed. They would not make it past this stage and would be denied if they acted like supersoldiers.

2. Military groups are allowed. Whats to say that they wont act like supersoldiers? Its not the group idea that matters, its the RP'ers, and how they portray that group idea.

Just my 2 cents, I think SF groups should be allowed.

zoyo    66

You need to be really careful when doing anything related to special forces. The rule against special forces in meant to keep people from making characters that act like your typical Call of Duty super soldier who feels no emotion or pain. In the end it's better to avoid stuff like this for the sake of good RP.

It's a minefield of risks, you have to play the group according to the rules so a very human element has to be present so you can't simply have the stonewall of "I'm better and immune to your torture, etc." It has to have a very human attitude to it.

The common middle group are mercenaries, common people or those with light training taking up a more military based role as necessity needs as with any apocalyptic event such as the one this community is based in.

If you still want to do it, all the power too you just bare in mind the rules HAVE to be followed.

P.S. Try and avoid the crashed heli story, it's for the best.

Dustup    118

Are you saying the group would be made up of people with special forces backgrounds or that they would simply be called "special forces" due to your character being a ranger?  If it's the latter, maybe come up with a different name (you might end up being referred to as something like "the specials" with a name like that anyway) so that people looking to join OOC don't get confused. 

If you are trying to build a new society like you have stated, I doubt you would realistically find enough people who are special forces to form whgat would be deemed a "society" and I think you would be limiting yourself and your groups potential.

I don't see why (when you fall within the rules with regards to time in the community for forming a group) you could not try and base your group and the way you want to build a new society on the ethos, principles, structure and discipline that your character is used to as  a military person, without it actually being a "military group".

DarkSide    231

Ok personally I dont like SF groups. Why? Well because its usually run by someone who has absolutely no knowledge of what SF even means or what they even do. Yes some groups like the FFL was run by Johnny and was run well. We didnt go around and say "We survived a chopper crash and we are here to kill everyone" type of shit. We RP'd as a kinda rouge military unit because we had no comms with the outside world and all. SF groups will think the are badass and can fight anyone anything anywhere. I dont like SF groups one bit but if you want to role around as a dynamic group saying "Yeah Im a Marine Navy SEAL Green Beret Ranger badass" Go for it. Watch yourself get robbed blind and beat up with no remorse.

Breadman    11

your new, hey a few months ago i was new. the reapers meant i learnt the community fast i suggest finding a group that you can play a comfortable character to learn how the community works. then go on to adventurous charachters