Server time: 2017-08-17, 19:34

Sign in to follow this  
Boston

Abuse of Game Mechanics?

Question

Boston    644

What's up.

So in DayZ when you throw a heavy melee weapon, it makes you fall unconscious. It's really buggy, and looks weird. You can get out of it by pressing an emote key. But I was wondering if I used it to fake being unconscious (say to avoid being pursued by an enemy or to set a trap or what not) would it be abuse of game mechanics? 

[video=youtube]

What if I roleplay it out? 

Ex: *Slumps to the ground in hopes of successfully faking unconsciousness...*

Might be a bit of a silly question but I want to make sure.

24 answers to this question

Hebee    2216

I don't really see a problem with it personally as long as you properly RP it out. . . Just an opinion though, as I can also see where it could be BadRp / ABOGM because it is not an intended feature of the game, I think a discussion is needed before any definite answers could be given.

But it would be hard to explain if the person you are trying to pretend to be unconscious from sees it. . .

CorbSlayer    33

This is a little dodgy, but i would say it is abuse of game mechanics. The reason being is you are "tricking" the game into putting your player model into unconsciousness while you actually awake and have control of your character.

What you would be trying to do (fake unconsciousness) could be done by laying face down on the ground, and then you could emote *Slumps to the ground in hopes of successfully faking unconsciousness...*. I think this would be a better way to tackle faking unconsciousness, and staying within the limits of the rules.

Ron    740

What will you do if people see you doing the throwing animation and you falling unconscious afterwards?

They will probably assume you...hit yourself against the head? How will you rp that out?

Boston    644

What will you do if people see you doing the throwing animation and falling unconcious afterwards?

They will probably assume you...hit yourself against the head? How will you rp that out?

Good question. I'd probably just say that it's really heavy and I fell over... Not sure exactly.

EDIT: I don't know anyone in real life that can throw a pick-axe without atleast stumbling... The only way to realistically excuse yourself from it is to say that it's really heavy.

Jetwells    242

Its not meant to be in the game. So it would be an abuse of game mechanics imo. If it was implemented that you could fake your death this way or something, then id be all for using it. But with it only being viable to achieve by using this bug, I would avoid it.

DarkSide    229

I mean it could be ABoGM mad maybe BadRP if you just do it out of the blue. I have had a couple people do that to me and actually RP it out well. But yet I'm not a staff member and can only give me voice in this.

Sean    25

Its not meant to be in the game. So it would be an abuse of game mechanics imo. If it was implemented that you could fake your death this way or something, then id be all for using it. But with it only being viable to achieve by using this bug, I would avoid it.

Spamming the fountain isn't supposed to be in the game, but everyone does it.

Do it if you want, I don't see how you're abusing mechanics so long as you have some RP behind it.

Jetwells    242

-Snip-

Because "Everyone" does it, doesn't mean it's acceptable. And if i remember rightly it falls under the same category as spamming apple trees. Which If i remember rightly, people have been banned for in the past. So its the same principle.

But back onto the faining ones death/passing out, I believe a person would have to be very stupid/naive to not be able to tell if someone is faking something like this. If the animation was slightly different. Then possibly, But with it being as it is, a bug. I dont think it should be used.

DarkSide    229

-Snip-

Ok Jet spamming the well is ABoGM. But the devs have said before that they will fix that so you don't spam it anymore. And yet it hasn't been done. I probably bet that you have spammed the well before if not then sorry. If the Admin team wishes to make it a rule not to spam the well then so be it. They better be willing to ban almost every member here for breaking that rule becuase I'm pretty sure they do it. I have never seen someone be banned for spamming the apple trees before. To me it's realstic to get that many Apples as its a tree full of apples.

I personally wouldn't do it. It seems dodgy to me, regardless if you emote it out. There are other ways to escape someone chasing you(or setting a trap) that aren't glitches in the game.

Jetwells    242

-Snip-

You would find maybe 20 apples that are edible, Then you would have to wait another 9 months. So no, Its not realistic to get that many apples. The devs will fix it, When it gets to the fixing stage of the game. That's Beta. There is no need to make it a rule as their is all ready a clear as day rule. Do not abuse game mechanics. I've also seen someone banned for using cooking pots to carry things ect as it was an abuse of a game mechanic on how they did it. It wasn't meant to be like that.

If you have to ask if its a rulebreak. It usually is.

Just because things are the "Norm" it doesn't mean that its ok.

So, Use it at your own risk. I for one wont hesitate to report people if I feel its an abuse of a mechanic. Its just like using a restart to get out of handcuffs then saying I dislocated my wrists to slip out of them. The RP is their, and its believable. But its not a mechanic that's meant to be in the game.

Edit: As Bruce has said, It seems dodgy. I can see it being abused far more than being used for good RP. For example. I pretend to be knocked out, then pop up behind the people who passed me and shoot them after they looked at my body and thought i was dead/ko.

Boston I have a question about the bug. When you are down on the ground do you have the ability to use Voip?

Boston    644

Boston I have a question about the bug. When you are down on the ground do you have the ability to use Voip?

Yes. 

All it does really is put your character model in the unconscious pose. You can talk, and I think you can also eat...

Like I said in the OP, if you want to get out of it, just do an emote (F1, F2, F3 etc...)

Conor    243

Honestly I think it is just best to stay away from things like this.

Back in the mod we specifically added a feature that allowed you to play dead however this is a broken game mechanic that does this by accident and should not be used.

Yes. 

All it does really is put your character model in the unconscious pose. You can talk, and I think you can also eat...

Like I said in the OP, if you want to get out of it, just do an emote (F1, F2, F3 etc...)

Alright so if I remember right when I encountered someone in this bug you could not access their stuff or anything you could only pulse check. Now due to that I feel that if I was chasing someone and they went down I could figure out that they were just playing possum or not. Also about your point of someone getting up once you passed and shooting you in the back you could always handcuff them before moving on. Unless of course you are going to let him die and not go back for rp. 

Personally if I found someone doing this and they were not trolling or giving badrp I don't see a problem. And even if they were I would just make a Badrp report not a ABoGM report. If someone uses it to gain a advantage IG sure it can be ABoGM but if someone is doing it for rp I have zero issues with it. But I'll be interested in seeing what staffs official response is.

Slash    84

I wouldn't use it.

Because it can gain you advantages in-game even if role played out well. It's a broken game mechanic that shouldn't be used. If you want to RP out being unconscious you can always just lay down on the ground and emote being unconscious, you don't need this broken game mechanic for that.

Basically what Conor said. I don't see a reason to allow a busted game mechanic to be used for any reason. Even back in the days of someone driving a V3S to get to prison island, some would argue you could RP it out, but at the end of the day, it's a game mechanic being exploited.

Boston    644

Given the answers from staff, and the opinions from community members, many look on it as BadRP and/or ABoGM...

I'll think I'll stay away from this. Thank you to the staff and the community for the discussion and answers. This can be /solved. :)

Glad you were able to get your answer from staff.

/Solved

Basically what Conor said. I don't see a reason to allow a busted game mechanic to be used for any reason. Even back in the days of someone driving a V3S to get to prison island, some would argue you could RP it out, but at the end of the day, it's a game mechanic being exploited.

I totally understand and can agree but just for the sake of argument I would say that driving a V3S or duping weapons gives you many IG advantages. But I see a lack of advantages gained by this bug. Just to make it clear I get the fact that it's easier to just uphold a zero tolerance rule on all ABoGM I'm just playing devils advocate.

This sounds a bit dodgy to me. I mean, yeah, given the circumstances of the RP it would be cool to be "unconscious" without actually going unconscious; for RP reasons of course. But doing this because someone is chasing you? Seems kind of pointless, they're going to catch up to you anyway so.. I've RP'd with someone who did this by accident by throwing a fire axe but mixed with the RP that lead up to it made it hilarious in game.

Zero    276

I agree with Denver. It would be ridiculous to label this abuse of game mechanics, no one gains any benefits from this except RP. I could understand if someone was trolling by doing the action, but faking being unconscious? Let's just throw out the window of how awesome it would be to trick someone into trying to help you as if they thought you were unconscious and then a group of bandits coming around the corner to hold you up, or even better, trapping someone you may have been chasing because they thought you were unconscious and lowered their guard to help you.

Consider the following:

• You are saying you will emote in chat the unconscious roleplay (*lies on the ground hoping to fool his assailants*)

Now, few will see this and NOT act on it - they will more than likely check bodies (most people check bodies regardless - whether to loot or confirm death)

Now for you to do this there are two options

1. Lay prone and emote it - this uses an easily accessible player action which is: An intended game mechanic, easily accessible by other players

2. Use the throwing glitch which is:

• An unintended glitch
  • Clunky to execute (requiring a weapon/item to be visibly thrown - which can be seen by other players)
  • Requires explaination of the throwing done beforehand
  • You still have to type in chat the emote of feigning unconsciousness

So the real question isn't - "Is this abuse of game mechanics?" it's actually - "Why use this over going prone?"

If you are going to RP unconscious roleplay with emotes in chat, why use this glitch - it is harder to execute, is more likely to break immersion and is possibly going to land you in hot water.

If you are using this avoid assailants this won't going to give you any real player advantage, people will check pulse and dead players have ragdolls.