Server time: 2017-08-19, 20:42

Sign in to follow this  
Unknown Entity

Should we bring back server restarts?

Should we bring back server restarts?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should we bring back server restarts?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other (comment)

Unknown Entity    126

Simple suggestion. Recently since servers and persistence is stable, we have stopped with the restarts.

However I feel like they are still needed, this would simply allow people a chance to get in the server instead of spamming for 50 minutes in vain.

I think going back to the regular fixed schedule of restarts would help, especially when you see people online for 8 hours straight, some chance to get in would be nice.

Opinions?

Last time I checked, the servers do still restart like twice a day (at least they're supposed to be). I think the auto-restart program or whatever isn't working like it should be. I could be wrong though.

Also, the whole "server restarts would allow people to get in instead of spamming" kinda sucks for the people who did spam in and lose their spot.  If there aren't restarts, I don't personally think that's a valid reason to have them.

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

But that would just mean that the people wanting to join the server take the places of people who were already on the server before the restart. Now these people dont have a slot after the restart and have to spam join the servers.

But that would just mean that the people wanting to join the server take the places of people who were already on the server before the restart. Now these people dont have a slot after the restart and have to spam join the servers.

Not at all. People have the time to exit the server and rejoin. The restart isn't instant. So everyone would have a fair chance at getting in.

Scouser    115

Then that's the case on any server including public, the reset will also stop people from being afk for long periods of time which opens up a slot on the server it's  a +1 from me

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

Not at all. People have the time to exit the server and rejoin. The restart isn't instant. So everyone would have a fair chance at getting in.

Not at all?

If you have 50 slots on a server which are filled by 50 people and 5 people wanting to join the server, you have 55 people in total. If there was a server restart and those 5 get into the server, there is still 5 people who cannot get into the server because it only has 50 slots. This means 5 people will be left spamming to join until those slots free up.

Thus not changing the situation at all. There will always be people who cannot get onto the server because it is full and have to spam to join. A restart just means that those unlucky enough not to get back into the server have to wait.

What if you are role playing with people, get a restart and then cant get back in because others who were not on before the restart took the slots? 

The restart wouldnt be instant, but it doesnt guarantee a slot either if you were already on the server.  Does this create a fair chance for all to get in? Yes. But it shouldnt be that way. People should wait for others to leave to get into the server, not a restart, otherwise if there are too many people, it results in others being blocked from joining who were already in game. That isnt fair.

-snipped bit in middle, misread reply-

I dont care if the server needs to restart for maintenance purposes. But adding restarts for the sake of allowing people to join quicker at certain times during the day isnt fair on those already on the server. Someone will always be left out after a restart if there is not enough slots. The restarts will also disrupt ongoing RP.

Either be patient and wait for someone to leave the server so you can join or go play on the other server if there are slots, considering there are 2 servers which are not often filled at the same time.  Right now S1 is 50/50 and S2 is 35/50 so there are slots at a peak EU time.

Unknown Entity    126

-snip-

The point is to allow the player base to change. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a 9-5 job, and when I get in it is impossible to log on, thus I cannot play, however people can sit AFK in the server and keep playing later on. This would not really be a problem for people online, it takes you literally 2 seconds to join back.

However AFKers will be gone, and it might give a bit of a nudge for some who have been playing for hours to take a break.

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

The point is to allow the player base to change. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a 9-5 job, and when I get in it is impossible to log on, thus I cannot play, however people can sit AFK in the server and keep playing later on. This would not really be a problem for people online, it takes you literally 2 seconds to join back.

However AFKers will be gone, and it might give a bit of a nudge for some who have been playing for hours to take a break.

If the point is to allow the player base to change, then it is a problem for people already online. It might take 2 seconds to join back (for some, others have slow computers), but what if the server is full? Then its going to take a lot longer to get back in.

Thats fine if you are not really doing anything in game but looting. But what if you are engaged in RP at the time? All the RP will be completely lost because someone will be missing after the restart (not always, but it could and will happen).

Im not sure on DayZSA, but I know pretty much all arma servers kick people who are afk for an extended period of time. So I assume bohemia would do the same for DayZSA. Besides, AFKers dont really seem to be much of a problem and a couple restarts a day certainly will not fix people being AFK. I assume they are AFK to keep their slot while they are busy, so they could quite easily accommodate what they are doing to get in the server for the restart and AFK again after. As you say, it only takes a couple seconds. AFKers defiantly wont be gone. The odd one, probably, but not all and certainly not enough to make a difference.

It really doesnt take that long to get in the server when its 50/50 pop. Shouldnt take more than 5 mins. Have patience. Most of us here will have school/uni/jobs and like to play in our free time and want to get on the server as soon as possible. But its just not fair to have restarts just to allow some people to get on. People already in game will be engaged in something and unnecessary restarts will just disrupt that.

The player base changes when people leave and slots are freed up. I see no reason to force the player base to change with a restart because its not fair on those already in game.

Chow    45

The current server restart times are 1300 and 0100 server time.

Me personally would like to have it at 4 or 6 restarts a day.

Thus allowing more people to join in the busyiest times.

Allthough i see this as more of a temp fix, until 75-100 man servers are enabled and stable.

Scouser    115

You say we should have paitence but when you finally get the motivation to get in game and your sitting on the server screen spamming for 30 minutes and you notice that someone has been online for 6+ hours then it gets annoying. I still agree with uSx

I think we should go back to the way it was for the mod, those restart times worked perfectly. Especially the 21:00 time where it was a good switchover for EU to NA Players

I like the old 4 hour timer restart, in my opinion made the server a bit more stable. Make it easier to spam in too :3

Defiance    96

I agree that I would like to see more frequent server restarts, but honestly when I can play (AM hours in the US Timezone) the server is far from full.

;_; I miss the days of getting off work, having like 15 minutes to get home, and then logging in at the exact same time as my entire group during the next reset. It felt really awesome to have everyone get in at the same time. Sure, we'd have a few stragglers but they usually managed to join after some spamming.

I cannot wait for 75-100 person servers. It's going to be crazy.

Unknown Entity    126

The current server restart times are 1300 and 0100 server time.

Me personally would like to have it at 4 or 6 restarts a day.

Thus allowing more people to join in the busyiest times.

Allthough i see this as more of a temp fix, until 75-100 man servers are enabled and stable.

Thanks for the restart details, basically the server restarts when it's the less populated.

Obviously this would only be a temp fix for until we get 75 slots, with 75 I'm sure it would be a lot easier to get in the servers.

Or at least until server queues are added :D.

Jetwells    242

I disagree, We have other servers to use also, Instead of spamming to join the full one, If people joined the half empty one instead, then that would too then get full. I don't see S2 full when S1 is. I can't personally remember the last time I saw s1 and s2 full together. Alot of the problem is the fact people wish to log on with their group. But the way i see it is this. You have 8 people on S1, your trying to spam to be that 9th. But the other server has 20 free slots. Why not all relog and jump onto the server with 20 slots?

And I dont think restarts will do anything for server performance and stability, I think thats just a current problem across Dayz itself.

You have 8 people on S1, your trying to spam to be that 9th. But the other server has 20 free slots. Why not all relog and jump onto the server with 20 slots?

It's not that simple.

People do want to play with their group, but most groups want to play on the fuller server, where there's more chance to run into other people and other groups. Switching to a less-filled server is really only an option if you're only roleplaying internally, or if you have a specific other person/group you intend to roleplay with that is okay with isolating themselves on the lower-pop server as well.

The option to switch to the other server is really only viable to those that have something they intend to do, or if they want more slots available for people to get involved in something they are doing, such as an event. For people who want to have a higher likelihood of encounters, and want to be able to encounter larger numbers of survivors and larger groups, they will always opt for the fuller server when they can.

I know for a fact that if I'm on a full server - with or without friends, and I end up out of the server for one reason or another, I will without a doubt spend the next half-hour spamming to get in. Sure, I could join the server with 20 people. Or I can join the server where I could find the entire other server's worth of people in one place - and still be able to run into various groups and people throughout the map.

EDIT: Definitely waiting for them 100 slot servers.

Jetwells    242

-Snip-

And this is the mentality which is preventing the other servers from filling up. You have 30 people spamming to get into a full server. When theres 30 slots open on another server. If you all joined the lesser populated one, hey presto. Its a full server too. Its not about "Giving" people the chance to play on the full pop when people don't want to even attempt to make the other server populated.

Theres nothing about isolation unless you isolate yourself. Like people do. If people didnt want to "Jump" into a full server to get easy encounters, and joined a server with a spot open. Then the servers would be full.

I like the old 4 hour timer restart, in my opinion made the server a bit more stable. Make it easier to spam in too :3

+1 on this.

And that mentality is the mentality. If people cared more about filling the servers out evenly, then they would be more evened-out. However that's not what most people want. It is still a gamble to join a less-populated server and hope it'll fill out, too. It's not a matter of people wanting the easy street to encounters, it's a matter of saturation and chance of exposure and what they're looking for from their session. And it's not true to say that if those who wanted to get into the fuller session just joined the other, they'd both fill - they won't.

There's just not enough players on during most hours of the day. Generally one server has around twice the number of the other, and that's a huge difference when you have to run several kilometers to get from Point A to Point B, most of which is forested. Less people means there's a higher chance that you will not only see no one, but also a higher chance for you to not notice what may be the only person for the next few towns over - especially for those that prefer to roleplay in places that are considered out-of-the-way like the North, parts of the Coast, and tons of spaces in-between.

Up until they move Novo Tower, I spend my time most in the North. On the lower-pop server I generally see nobody from Svetlo to Novaya Petovka, and often I could have just narrowly missed the only person coming to the area for the next half an hour. On the high-pop, I see several people scattered throughout the town. I don't have to search for others - we just run into each other. I can go about my business as if I were actually surviving, rather than prowling for interaction.

Though mine's an extreme case, I use it to further those points, albeit exaggerated from what those who roam the Sobors experience.

Jetwells    242

-Snip-

Wait until 0.60 when people start complaining about not being able to get in either server. Can't please the masses. Restarting wont do nothing for server stability and will remain the same. Alot of instability is from the continuous spamming of people trying to join the server.

Unknown Entity    126

I disagree, We have other servers to use also, Instead of spamming to join the full one, If people joined the half empty one instead, then that would too then get full. I don't see S2 full when S1 is. I can't personally remember the last time I saw s1 and s2 full together. Alot of the problem is the fact people wish to log on with their group. But the way i see it is this. You have 8 people on S1, your trying to spam to be that 9th. But the other server has 20 free slots. Why not all relog and jump onto the server with 20 slots?

And I dont think restarts will do anything for server performance and stability, I think thats just a current problem across Dayz itself.

Except when S2 crashes and cannot be restarted because the console crashes with it as well, how does that work?

You can also debate the ping, I'm sure that US players prefer playing on US servers, same thing for the EUs.

My suggestion for these restarts have nothing to do with performance and stability.

Jetwells    242

Except when S2 crashes and cannot be restarted because the console crashes with it as well, how does that work?

You can also debate the ping, I'm sure that US players prefer playing on US servers, same thing for the EUs.

My suggestion for these restarts have nothing to do with performance and stability.

So, In theory, What your saying is, You want to interrupt peoples time in-game because you don't want to spam to get into S1? I find that slightly selfish imo. If it has nothing to do with stability and performance, then their is no need to have restarts. Why should the people who have been on for 8 hours be punished by having a restart every 4 hours when they could possibly not get back on themselves? Not only would it be highly immersion breaking, but I don't want to resort back to, Ohh we all blacked out, or Oh i must of nodded off their.

If you don't wish to spam, then don't. There are other games to play, But something that's not broken shouldn't be attempted to be fixed. In my views.

Oliv    1552

As some one who has had their roll play severed by not being able to get back on a server after a restart due to all the spots being taken up, I can affectionately say that restarts are a mood killer.

Does it suck to not be able to play with the rest of your group? Sure does. But I don't think more server restarts are the answer when it could canabalize other peoples RP.

Vorobye    34

I voted no, for multiple reasons.

• RP is stalled right before and after, interrupted during, and sometimes terminated after the restart as Enzo said.
  • Allowing new people in means excluding active players
  • Performance wise I stand with Jetwells, improvement caused by restart is either absent or not worth mentioning

Considering the ping argument: I hate to join US S2 for that reason. It's just not playable, and I can only guess the same applies to the US players on S1.