Server time: 2017-10-19, 07:19
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Charlo

Improving my RP?

Charlo    0

So after being immersed in one character for around two months, I'm stuck in the same RP every time I meet someone new. 

I really want to further my RP, wether that be joining a group or creating a new character. Just want some pointers and advice in furthering my RP as I'm really enjoying what I have done so far. 

Many thanks for any reply I get :)

Marcunt    239

You answered it yourself! Groups, groups, groups, they are everywhere and looking for people like you who want to further your rp. I also got a little tired of always doing the same sort of roleplaying, so I joined my current group and everything suddenly changed... Now I'm hooked and can't stop playing nor browsing the forums.

Don't create a new character, two months is less than you think. Especially in DayZRP where time seems to fly by! Just stop lurking around on your own and find some band of survivor/bandits to join. ;)

Hagger    117

Improving the quality of one's roleplay is always a slow process. Best way to learn new stuff is to experience it by itself. I have had 4 different characters and in my opinion every character has taught me something new that improves my roleplay. I'm not sure if these tips are as helpful to someone else as they are for me, but I decided to share them anyway:

1) Invest in your character:

Make a super detailed backstory. When you are creating your character don't focus only into the major aspects like: occupation, age, personality etc. Think about stuff that doesn't seem very important at first, like family ties, hobbies, vices, favorite color, fears. What does he/she know? What he/she doesn't know? The stuff might be something that nobody is never going to ask you, or something that you will never tell anyone. I have noticed that stuff like this helps forming the character into more personal and life like. But don't make too many weird or eccentric traits, try to keep it real!

I mean, my character had a child on accident when he was young. After the child had been born, he and child's mother parted their ways. This child was never part of his life and never wanted in his life. He never talks about it or it doesn't really have affect on his actions... but it is something I made up for his past. You never know if there is a situation where you can hint about it.

2) Be the character:

You have your character planned out? Good, now become him/her. Don't think what you would do in the situation, think what your character would do. If someone offends you IC and you get mad about it, stop for a moment. Would my character get also mad about this? Would he just shrug it off? Is there past events that would make him react in a certain way? I try to immerse myself into my character by dimming the lights and silencing any disturbances (TV, phone, girlfriend <-- Not easy)

3) Forget the game mechanics, let's roleplay!:

The DayZ as a game is a pretty clunky and it gives a lots of information right away. You can see is someone unconscious or alive with a quick glance. You know the ammo types and the equipment names because they are written into game's descriptions. You can sew your clothing in a matter of seconds without even undressing them first. Mix things up by being more oblivious. If someone asks you certain type of ammo, ask them to describe the bullets. You want to change the spark plugs? You might need some tools first and someone to tell you how to this. Real life is complicated and the game is not, make the game complicated as well.

4) Have "triggers"

Some events in your characters past might cause him to react more stronger into certain stimuli. The events can be made up (stuff that happened before the outbreak), or events that has happened in-game. For example my previous character was once captured by the cannibals, after this ordeal he reacted more powerfully when someone mentioned cannibals.

5) We are fragile

When you get injured in game play out the injuries. I know you can just start running after you have splint applied or if you are malnourished and low on blood you easily sprint 10 km into another town. Stop and think: "How would this injury affect me if this would happen in real life?" You can even implement injuries into your character and make them even more personal. Another example from my previous character was that he was shot in a leg once. After that he started to use a walking cane and having constant aching in his leg which needed him to consume painkillers on regular basis (I played it out as bullet had damaged the nerves on his leg). I think everyone should look up the symptoms of anemia, food poisoning, sprained/broken limbs and try their best to simulate them.

6) Have a goal

Once you have your character geared up you don't really need anything. The most common thing people tend to ask in game is: "You need anything? Food, ammo, medicine?" And you most likely respond 90% of the time: "No thanks, I'm good". This gets really boring after a while, so what you really need is an objective. Make several of them, some major, some minor. Your character needs something he works towards and yearns for. Best case scenario your objectives are something that you can never complete in game and they keep your character going. For example: Finding a certain person (who is made up), trying to fix a airplane he/she has found, looking for certain item (that does not exist in game).

I'm sure I could throw in more examples but seems like this is forming into a wall of text already, so I spare you and your time.

These are some things I have learned on my time in the servers. I try to update this and add some more stuff when it comes to my mind.

Whip    0

I could just kill your character off and you could start new.

I think we have solved your problem !

Charlo    0

Improving the quality of one's roleplay is always a slow process. Best way to learn new stuff is to experience it by itself. I have had 4 different characters and in my opinion every character has taught me something new that improves my roleplay. I'm not sure if these tips are as helpful to someone else as they are for me, but I decided to share them anyway:

1) Invest in your character:

Make a super detailed backstory. When you are creating your character don't focus only into the major aspects like: occupation, age, personality etc. Think about stuff that doesn't seem very important at first, like family ties, hobbies, vices, favorite color, fears. What does he/she know? What he/she doesn't know? The stuff might be something that nobody is never going to ask you, or something that you will never tell anyone. I have noticed that stuff like this helps forming the character into more personal and life like. But don't make too many weird or eccentric traits, try to keep it real!

I mean, my character had a child on accident when he was young. After the child had been born, he and child's mother parted their ways. This child was never part of his life and never wanted in his life. He never talks about it or it doesn't really have affect on his actions... but it is something I made up for his past. You never know if there is a situation where you can hint about it.

2) Be the character:

You have your character planned out? Good, now become him/her. Don't think what you would do in the situation, think what your character would do. If someone offends you IC and you get mad about it, stop for a moment. Would my character get also mad about this? Would he just shrug it off? Is there past events that would make him react in a certain way? I try to immerse myself into my character by dimming the lights and silencing any disturbances (TV, phone, girlfriend <-- Not easy)

3) Forget the game mechanics, let's roleplay!:

The DayZ as a game is a pretty clunky and it gives a lots of information right away. You can see is someone unconscious or alive with a quick glance. You know the ammo types and the equipment names because they are written into game's descriptions. You can sew your clothing in a matter of seconds without even undressing them first. Mix things up by being more oblivious. If someone asks you certain type of ammo, ask them to describe the bullets. You want to change the spark plugs? You might need some tools first and someone to tell you how to this. Real life is complicated and the game is not, make the game complicated as well.

4) Have "triggers"

Some events in your characters past might cause him to react more stronger into certain stimuli. The events can be made up (stuff that happened before the outbreak), or events that has happened in-game. For example my previous character was once captured by the cannibals, after this ordeal he reacted more powerfully when someone mentioned cannibals.

5) We are fragile

When you get injured in game play out the injuries. I know you can just start running after you have splint applied or if you are malnourished and low on blood you easily sprint 10 km into another town. Stop and think: "How would this injury affect me if this would happen in real life?" You can even implement injuries into your character and make them even more personal. Another example from my previous character was that he was shot in a leg once. After that he started to use a walking cane and having constant aching in his leg which needed him to consume painkillers on regular basis (I played it out as bullet had damaged the nerves on his leg). I think everyone should look up the symptoms of anemia, food poisoning, sprained/broken limbs and try their best to simulate them.

6) Have a goal

Once you have your character geared up you don't really need anything. The most common thing people tend to ask in game is: "You need anything? Food, ammo, medicine?" And you most likely respond 90% of the time: "No thanks, I'm good". This gets really boring after a while, so what you really need is an objective. Make several of them, some major, some minor. Your character needs something he works towards and yearns for. Best case scenario your objectives are something that you can never complete in game and they keep your character going. For example: Finding a certain person (who is made up), trying to fix a airplane he/she has found, looking for certain item (that does not exist in game).

I'm sure I could throw in more examples but seems like this is forming into a wall of text already, so I spare you and your time.

These are some things I have learned on my time in the servers. I try to update this and add some more stuff when it comes to my mind.

10/10 response thank you!!

Stellaboy    10

An important part of your character is how to they evolve and change. They evolve from encounters with other players. For example Albortte offers players shots of vodka after it narrowly avoided a very hostile encounter. He also hates clown masks after a terrible encounter with Masquerade.

Maybe also consider your character's emotions. Are they a pussy or a bully? Are they outgoing or shy? Are they sharp and witty or dull and uninformed?

Again, the key isn't so much how your character starts, but how he changes with time.

Charlo    0

I could just kill your character off and you could start new.

I think we have solved your problem !

:P

Giraffel    95

I would suggest you to join a group. When I got tired of RPing all alone with my first character I joined a group and actually continued to RP the same character for one year. Groups changed my character a lot and are imo the best way to develop your character.

Hebee    2654

So after being immersed in one character for around two months, I'm stuck in the same RP every time I meet someone new. 

I really want to further my RP, wether that be joining a group or creating a new character. Just want some pointers and advice in furthering my RP as I'm really enjoying what I have done so far. 

Many thanks for any reply I get :)

I evolved my main (chase) through hostile interactions with others and seriously played out reactions to being tortured/ robbed. It gave my character a lot of depth and personality. This may sound crazy but, go get robbed that will either give your character purpose ( to hunt down those that hurt him) or at least a different aspect on life that you can role play out however you feel.

It also adds to his story which will in turn make him more interesting.

Nocheluz    122

I have 4 characters, two of which I've played exclusively about six months on each one. This might not be helpful at all, but the truth is, I allow them to "take over" so to speak, when I play. I let the character do what "feels" is right in any given situation or moment. As a result of that approach, both characters have evolved in ways I never planned or even dreamed. It's the coolest thing. I've had some of the best RP moments/experiences of my life by allowing my character's personality and circumstance dictate what happens next.

I wish I could explain this better. But just let them do what they want, what feels right for them and they will evolve and grow. Good on you for attempting to add depth and range to your character!

zoyo    70

I would reccomend trying to make more close friends. If you're character is around more people, it will lead to different RP. I'm not sure if that would really work with your character, but its something to take into account. Good luck, looking great with that new signature m8. ;)

Cow    0

-Snipping this post should be a crime.-

This needs more light shone upon it, bring it to the masses and let them stand in awe!

Great post.

Guest TCGBuNiTy   
Guest TCGBuNiTy

I would try joining a group or something man. It definitely furthers your DayZRP Experience.

Chow    45

What i like to do when creating a character is creating a small base.

Origin, Religion, What he/she did for a living, basic personality.

Then get in Character and test it out, different methods with different people.

Then after some work you have a character to play with.

And if you realize it was a wrong move / something you do not want to play as, you can always create a new.

DerSchnitzler    359

I can highly recomend you to try to act out some made up encounters IRL if you don't have anything better to do. It worked pretty well for me and especially if you are bored it can cheer you up a bit.

Stagsview    624

More than welcome to tag along with me one evening and play an alt character with me. We could chat on Ts and I could give you pointers of things you can add into the RP and alternatives to the situation ;)

marksman48    44

-Wall of China Text Snip-

That... was well said! Good shit man. They're all tried and true ways to improve your RP. Anyone new should try them.

Charlo    0

More than welcome to tag along with me one evening and play an alt character with me. We could chat on Ts and I could give you pointers of things you can add into the RP and alternatives to the situation ;)

Just saw this gutted I didn't see this earlier!! If the offers still open, I'd love to get some pointers from you sometime!!

Stagsview    624

Just saw this gutted I didn't see this earlier!! If the offers still open, I'd love to get some pointers from you sometime!!

Of course, I don't have exams for the next week so just send me a message or poke me on TS and I'l be more than happy to help you out Ollie. Just ask :)

Charlo    0

Of course, I don't have exams for the next week so just send me a message or poke me on TS and I'l be more than happy to help you out Ollie. Just ask :)

Great, I'll hold you to that!! ;)

Wolfe    0

Yeah, I feel like I have the same issue. I try to do something different between my characters but my own personality always comes through and my characters are always the same. Ill definitely have to take some of these answers into consideration as well.