Server time: 2017-10-21, 01:12
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Rogério SkyLab

Will this history be a little bit too crazy to RP?

Question

I think this have occurred before and I'm taking care of multiple histories coming from this, but anyway:

I was thinking about an astronaut, living in the International Space Station (ISS). He was living with the whole stock of supplies he had left in the station, as the crew was rationing the food and water since they lost communication with Earth. Some members took a escape shuttle down to Earth already, to make sure they would leave that station before something happened, as their communications were in the dark, and they had no idea of what was going on down at the surface. The only thing they were notified, was that there was a major disease spreading trough the land.

Coming back to our astronaut, he would be doing some regular checks, when he accidentally missed a bar (Metal bars required for moving around the station in 0G), and got himself into one of the escape vessels. He couldn't open the lock, and when the other 3 crew tried a manual override, the vessel had a failure, and got ejected from the station. As there was no other choice for our astronaut, since the station's door was malfunctioning, he sends a radio message to his friends, and a woman, that was going to marry with him once they went to Earth back in 2015. His only bet would be that the vessel has enough fuel to bring him back and safe to Earth.

Luckly enough, he had, and his capsule landed on the ocean. As it floated by, he eventually found a shore-line, and after some stretching, he went for a dive, a cold one. After reaching the shore, he got a hit of reality over his face, not knowing what was going on. He gets emotionally attacked by the lack of people around the place. He doesn't know what to do, so he starts walking around, until he found his first infected. He didn't approached it, as he could see the blood marks all over the body, and the whole deformation of the skin. He was afraid, and ran.

After some days, weeks, he eventually got a way of sorting things over, and after talking to some survivors, he eventually got in the whole 'zombie apocalypse' thing, and it now a normal grade survivor A.K.A The 'normie'.

Would this be too mind breaking for the Lore?

24 answers to this question

Bruce    0

I can imagine this would fall under the same category as special forces, which are prohibited. I would personally stray away from something like this.

Also, there was a Russian Space Program group idea created one time and Rolle didn't seem to favor it. Here

I can imagine this would fall under the same category as special forces, which are prohibited. I would personally stray away from something like this.

Also, there was a Russian Space Program group idea created one time and Rolle didn't seem to favor it. Here

I don't see how this would be 'Special Forces'. The man is just a Engineer, just like everyone else in the Station. The idea itself is pretty realistic, even though it's pretty ridiculous.

I can get with something else then "He was alone, and went to Earth because he wanted to discover the secret they were hiding from him" <-- this is even worse.

In any way, this wouldn't be a group, nor would he be wanting to make one based in this. Damn, he is only a normal person, but the difference is that he was in a Space Station and left it. Nothing that serious.

Bruce    0

I don't see how this would be 'Special Forces'. The man is just a Engineer, just like everyone else in the Station. The idea itself is pretty realistic, even though it's pretty ridiculous.

I can get with something else then "He was alone, and went to Earth because he wanted to discover the secret they were hiding from him" <-- this is even worse.

In any way, this wouldn't be a group, nor would he be wanting to make one based in this. Damn, he is only a normal person, but the difference is that he was in a Space Station and left it. Nothing that serious.

I didn't say it would be special forces, but along the same lines. 

Here's how I see it: 

You know how everyone thinks it's ridiculous when someone says they crashed their helicopter and were the only survivor?

Now, imagine if you met someone who just crashed an escape pod into the ocean, from space. Seems a tad bit extreme and I don't see it fitting into the lore, but that's for a LM to decide.

marksman48    44

Here's how I see it: 

You know how everyone thinks it's ridiculous when someone says they crashed their helicopter and were the only survivor?

Now, imagine if you met someone who just crashed an escape pod into the ocean, from space. Seems a tad bit extreme and I don't see it fitting into the lore, but that's for a LM to decide.

Yeah, Bruce is right. Maybe if there was a handful of other survivors who were stranded with you- but even then, it's ridiculous. 

If you go this route though, PLEASE make your name Jebediah Kerman.

latest?cb=20140919035452

Here's how I see it: 

Yeah, Bruce is right. Maybe if there was a handful of other survivors who were stranded with you- but even then, it's ridiculous. 

If you go this route though, PLEASE make your name Jebediah Kerman.

latest?cb=20140919035452

You see, I do like to think about the whole 'ridiculous' thing about this, but I think that's what a history needs. Because, you don't see this everyday, and I know how to RP well, so in any way, I wouldn't be running around saying: "AYY GUYS, I CAME FROM SPAAAAAACE"

The main reason of this character, for me at least, is to widen the RP options. You always see a military guy, or a civilian, a psychopath, but have you ever seen a astronaut? It's not that bad when you think about it.

There's no real reason for this to be impossible or improbable, so why not? I consider it to be something rather innovative and/or impressive into the Role-Play aspect. Who would've though that random guy searching for something in the trash in the middle of Stary Sobor is an astronaut?

And about Jebediah, we need MOAR BOOSTERS

Whip    0

Hmm astranaut rp ? seems like something we could have done in space enigineers amirite? :troll:

But the big flaw in your RP is that The ISS does not have "escape pods" and vehicles do not stayed docked at the station.  All crew members are shuttled to and from the station. There are plans for A CRV (Crew return Vehicle)  in the future but all are stilll in prototypes.  

ce26963a2056f8640f7d806a72d55f38.png

Here is the layout of the ISS  it shows it having no CRV's,  so i would have to say no this wouldn't be historically or scientifically accurate RP .

Post    0

The thing is I don't have enough experience to tell you the plausibility of this character. I have little to know real knowledge of space, space travel, escape pods, and all that. I thought though when astronauts return to Earth that they have a bit of struggles even with walking. It seems odd you'd come down from space, safely land, without any firearms, and end up in the area where the infection began and just survive. That sounds like pretty incredible odds.

Whip    0

The thing is I don't have enough experience to tell you the plausibility of this character.  I have little to know real knowledge of space, space travel, escape pods, and all that.  I thought though when astronauts return to Earth that they have a bit of struggles even with walking.  It seems odd you'd come down from space, safely land, without any firearms, and end up in the area where the infection began and just survive.  That sounds like pretty incredible odds.

Exactly My point. The ISS travels around earth in about 90 minutes, With no CRV's (Lets say at that moment a ship was docked and he "got locked in it" Even though most astraunauts are trained to repair everything on the ISS within reason including airlocks ) with no guidance help from the ground in a blind shot into earth would most likely end up in death on rentrance, becoming stranded with no food or water in the middle of the ocean, or smashing into the ground and either dying instantly or severely injuring yourself.  Let alone the inconceivable chance that it lands near enough to chenarus that he may wash up on the shore seems just way to far fetched in my opinion.

Hmm astranaut rp ? seems like something we could have done in space enigineers amirite? :troll:

But the big flaw in your RP is that The ISS does not have "escape pods" and vehicles do not stayed docked at the station.  All crew members are shuttled to and from the station. There are plans for A CRV (Crew return Vehicle)  in the future but all are stilll in prototypes.  

Here is the layout of the ISS  it shows it having no CRV's,  so i would have to say no this wouldn't be historically or scientifically accurate RP .

About the whole 'design of the ISS' thing, I am not talking about a literal 'escape vessel'. There is still the Soyuz TMA-M, that is used as an 'escape boat' for the ISS.

At least one Soyuz spacecraft is docked to ISS at all times for use as an escape craft in the event of an emergency.

The thing is I don't have enough experience to tell you the plausibility of this character. I have little to know real knowledge of space, space travel, escape pods, and all that. I thought though when astronauts return to Earth that they have a bit of struggles even with walking. It seems odd you'd come down from space, safely land, without any firearms, and end up in the area where the infection began and just survive. That sounds like pretty incredible odds.

That's history. Struggles with walking won't be a reason to be paralized. The re-entry on Earth's Atmosphere can even break some bones (mainly ribs), but let's say he went off lucky, with some minor pain/injuries. It's not hard to land a space-craft. The parachutes have a automatic range for opening. You just gotta sit there. About the part where you mention "end up in the area where the infection began and just survive", that is about luck. He calculated to land on water, and so he did, not knowing where the hell he would be. Chernarus is not that far from the ISS normal orbit, so it is possible. And for the whole survival thing, he had to adapt. You have to be in a good shape when you enter and leave the Space Station. They exercise frequently in there, too maintain form, which would help into the whole gravitational recovery.

Let me mention that he was drifting in a pod, in the middle of the ocean. He had enough time to move around in a 3m² to stretch himself out.

Whip    0

About the whole 'design of the ISS' thing, I am not talking about a literal 'escape vessel'. There is still the Soyuz TMA-M, that is used as an 'escape boat' for the ISS.

At least one Soyuz spacecraft is docked to ISS at all times for use as an escape craft in the event of an emergency.

So  you would have been trapped in a Soyuz? I'm assuming that it would be an easy fix assuming its the ship The ship that half the astronauts in the ISS arrived in and study  immensely on how to repair aspects of the vehicle in order to avoid cataclysmic disaster. The other astronauts just let you jettison away with no objection on a blind course to earth with their only hope of a return to earth? 

But setting this whole debate aside

During the initial outbreak, or any threat to the future ability to safely recover the crew, the ISS would have been evacuated and all personnel returned to earth wouldn't you think?

So  you would have been trapped in a Soyuz? I'm assuming that it would be an easy fix assuming its the ship The ship that half the astronauts in the ISS arrived in and study  immensely on how to repair aspects of the vehicle in order to avoid cataclysmic disaster. The other astronauts just let you jettison away with no objection on a blind course to earth with their only hope of a return to earth? 

But setting this whole debate aside

During the initial outbreak, or any threat to the future ability to safely recover the crew, the ISS would have been evacuated and all personnel returned to earth wouldn't you think?

About the part of the astronauts not being able to save him or what-so-ever, as I said, the history a W.I.P for me, at least. There is a lot I can do better, modify and/or remove.

About the initial outbreak part, yes, they should'ave evacuated, but as always, the government would be confy about what they are doing, probably not waiting for the virus to spread like it did, or to kill like it did. Let's say it was the government's fault. Maybe we can add up some drama? The evacuation craft didn't have space to carry on every single person of the crew or something like this.

As said, I still need to put some more effort in this, but it might come up as a good history after all.

I mean you could be an astronaut, nobody is going to take you seriously tho. You're gonna end up a babbling old buffoon talking about his adventures in space that he did not have to most survivors

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

Incredibly unlikely,but a potential backstory. I probably wouldnt believe you IC if you told me, but its still a very interesting idea. Cant comment on specifics though as I dont know enough about the space station. As long as it all makes sense, then I dont really see a problem with it as a backstory.

Whip    0

About the part of the astronauts not being able to save him or what-so-ever, as I said, the history a W.I.P for me, at least. There is a lot I can do better, modify and/or remove.

Maybe a move to Discussion then?  or start a WIP Lore ?  But either way you'd be hard pressed to get away with anything like this because a lot of people keep up with who has been to space as astronauts gain a lot of fame and publicity from going to space, and we aren't allowed to Rp famous people. Plus people in game will rip you apart if you say your an astronaut. 

I would say that this wouldn't be a good idea but you can RP the character you want

Joules    274

I've personally had this very discussion with a few people, as the story, while it could be potentially interesting to RP and encounter, is very hard to believe.

Even if we can accept the idea that it would be possible for the astronaut to return, another thing that comes to mind is you would be RPing an existing person. It would be kind of like me going around and RPing the president of the United States (but not really to that extent). The fact of the matter is we have logs of who was on the ISS. These are real people.

Here is the status log of the last flight to the ISS before the start of our lore.

Conor    254

The International Space Station is a huge effort made by people all around the world. The crew aboard it are extremely special. There are normally only 6 crew members on board the station (there are times when the roster goes up to 9 or down to 3). For you to have a character who was part of this small, somewhat famous crew could be Lore breaking. Seeing as we don't allow people to play famous characters, you are unable to play one of the real crew members. This means you would need to make your character an addition to the crew which is impossible as we know that when the infection started in Chernarus, the crew members aboard the ISS were Maksim Surayev, Gregory Wiseman, Alexander Gerst, Barry Wilmore, Alexsandr Samokutyayev and Yelena Serova.

If you were to meet someone IG who knew the identities of the crew at the time of the outbreak, they would immediately be able to call you out on it and you would not have a leg to stand on.

TL;DR - No. You can't play a member of the ISS crew as that would require you to powergame your character into the Lore.

If you wish to talk about this further, feel free to catch me on TS or shoot me a PM.

/Solved

Guest TCGBuNiTy   
Guest TCGBuNiTy

I disagree with the first comment, I don't see how that would be "Special Forces" at all. It's not a branch of the military, and NASA is not a "Force". They are scientists that go into outer space and explore. They are explorers if anything. I mean this is pretty far fetched but at the same time it's different and I think you should give it a go.

Bruce    0

I disagree with the first comment, I don't see how that would be "Special Forces" at all. It's not a branch of the military, and NASA is not a "Force". They are scientists that go into outer space and explore. They are explorers if anything. I mean this is pretty far fetched but at the same time it's different and I think you should give it a go.

Please keep reading the thread. I never once said it was special forces, but it would fall under the same category being so extreme.

Whip    0

I would disagree with this comment as 219 out of the 330 current and past astronauts in the US Space program have been Active duty military from mostly the air force and Navy.

In order for them to qualify they have to apply through their respectable branch of military, who then sifts through the Thousands of applications  picks the best applicants and gives those to NASA. NASA Then breaks those applicants down and maybe at the end chooses what 20 people? who then attempt to pass the scrutinizing exams and test to get a chance to go to space.

Best out of the best, Kinda sounds like a special force right?

SO the best out of the best military members with even less of them going on to be astronauts then there are even Navy seals, i could definitely see how this RP could easily turn super soldiery.

Yes some are Scientists and Engineers  but at the end of the day NASA will choose a Skilled aviator and teach them how to conduct the tests they need then pick a scientist whose never flown a jet aircraft before.

Guest TCGBuNiTy   
Guest TCGBuNiTy

I would disagree with this comment as 219 out of the 330 current and past astronauts in the US Space program have been Active duty military from mostly the air force and Navy.

In order for them to qualify they have to apply through their respectable branch of military, who then sifts through the Thousands of applications  picks the best applicants and gives those to NASA. NASA Then breaks those applicants down and maybe at the end chooses what 20 people? who then attempt to pass the scrutinizing exams and test to get a chance to go to space.

Best out of the best, Kinda sounds like a special force right?

SO the best out of the best military members with even less of them going on to be astronauts then there are even Navy seals, i could definitely see how this RP could easily turn super soldiery.

Yes some are Scientists and Engineers  but at the end of the day NASA will choose a Skilled aviator and teach them how to conduct the tests they need then pick a scientist whose never flown a jet aircraft before.

It doesn't matter what they USE to be, it's what they are now. They aren't a military force, it's just simple facts.

Zero    461

The International Space Station is a huge effort made by people all around the world. The crew aboard it are extremely special. There are normally only 6 crew members on board the station (there are times when the roster goes up to 9 or down to 3). For you to have a character who was part of this small, somewhat famous crew could be Lore breaking. Seeing as we don't allow people to play famous characters, you are unable to play one of the real crew members. This means you would need to make your character an addition to the crew which is impossible as we know that when the infection started in Chernarus, the crew members aboard the ISS were Maksim Surayev, Gregory Wiseman, Alexander Gerst, Barry Wilmore, Alexsandr Samokutyayev and Yelena Serova.

If you were to meet someone IG who knew the identities of the crew at the time of the outbreak, they would immediately be able to call you out on it and you would not have a leg to stand on.

TL;DR - No. You can't play a member of the ISS crew as that would require you to powergame your character into the Lore.

If you wish to talk about this further, feel free to catch me on TS or shoot me a PM.

/Solved

You could use the same logic and apply it to anything such as high ranking military members. So, if someone wanted to RP as they use to race in NASCAR, you could just say "Oh that's lore breaking." The list could go even further if you wanted. You might as well just throw out any sort of high ranking military personnel starting at Major and going on (That's anything beyond the rank of Captain by the way.). You can even pull up a list of NCOs such as the Sergeant Major of of the armed forces of pretty much any country and those that have equivalent ranks in their ranking structure.  

That would pretty much mean anything U.N. or NATO related could possible be power-gaming the lore, and even other forces such as the ones playing off of Russian military. What about the character Quinn Brauer played by Roach? His character was a famous country singer. We could pull up a list of "famous country singers" right now on google and name them all, does that mean that Roach's backstory was breaking the rules?

Bruce    0

I was looking more into this if you managed find a character to play. This is taken straight from a NASA FAQ:

ccbaeab55cc626b6b2ad4221d8297fe9.png

Unfortunately, you would've been dead at the beginning of 2015.

Whip    0

It doesn't matter what they USE to be, it's what they are now. They aren't a military force, it's just simple facts.

I will again reiterate the first sentence as i don't think you understood it.

Now this would imply that NASA, A branch of the federal  United states government, Since its inception has had 330 astronauts, out of which 219 were active duty Military. Making that almost 70 Percent of ALL US astronauts have been Military Service members

"It doesn't matter what they USE to be, it's what they are now."

Yes and they ARE roughly 65 percent Military members, when you look at all of them  including all astronauts ever trained by NASA. NASA still recruits more Military members as it always has, it just accepts more civilian applications as there are more active positions available now. Now more astronauts have been trained in the last 20 years then there ever were in the late 60's, most of them still active in NASA in management roles  and training new astronauts. so that statistic is still an accurate depiction of the majority of astronauts being military service members.

"They aren't a military force, it's just simple facts."

Yes they aren't a Military force, BUT being a branch of the federal government, Using elite military members for a majority of their Astronauts, Would lead me and many people to assume that the Role play that developed from any person would be of the "Super soldier" Variety. This is a Way of RP that we see often when anyone claims to be from an Elite group, or Military background, were they are better then everyone and are trained beyond human tolerances like pain, weakness, fear etc..  At no point did I ever claim NASA was a branch of the military, only that a majority of astronauts were in fact Active Duty serving military members.

But it doesn't matter because the answer was already given,  No you cant role play an astronaut,  its not realistic role play. and it should stay that way.

on a complete other note Can someone please /yeet this thread already? or move it to discussion?