Server time: 2017-10-17, 01:45
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Phlox

Forced Perma

Doc Phlox    24

Hey  Community,

Hope you are all doing well. I write this thread with a heavy heart as I am stuck in a conundrum. The other night while playing on my beloved character Solomon Auster, a gentleman who shall remain nameless power-gamed me and took my left-arm without OOC permission (he claims it was a toe but as they emoted holding my arm down tightly and they guy hacked at my arm with a knife and even commented on how think my humerus was, I am only left with a feeling of having lost an arm). How losing an arm above the elbow would make life difficult for most people. Yes prosthetics are available. But we are in an apocalypse. I don't see how I can survive with one arm. I feel like I have to perma death my favorite character in order to continue playing and it makes me sad. It may seem drastic, but how am I to open a can of beans, or load a gun, even hold a rifle effectively? If anyone wants to RP as being my medical aid, I would greatly appreciate that as well :). I feel forced into a situation where I can't even RP out well, every time I meet someone new I have to text rp that you notice my missing arm, when in fact my arm is there, for all the world to see.

So I wanted to ask as well if any of you have ever been "forced" in a way to perma a character after a certain incident. As well, if any of you have advice on how a one armed man can survive in this new world, please share with me.

Hatch    0

You can report that guy if you want. You can also choose to ignore the power game because after all it was a rule break.

Skeetsi    0

That's a pretty clear case of power gaming and would be totally fine to report it. Also in means to bring this to the rule breakers attention that you cannot do such a thing without the victims permission. Then again if you're fine with it and want to deal with a lost arm on your character then just go with it.

Hollows    447

Honestly, I don't even see why the guy removed your finger? From the way you worded it, you obviously don't know him. Probably never have met him before, so why is he trying to perma-scar you off the bat?

We have too many over-the-top people bent on just trying to collect the most fingers/teeth/ears/toes. It's kind of expected when I run around during the night and find a group of 2+ people in the woods or a town. It's getting ridiculous. For your situation in particular, I'd ignore it. Pretend it never happened, and if he ever tries that again, I'd report him for powergaming and breaking immersion.

Doc Phlox    24

You can report that guy if you want. You can also choose to ignore the power game because after all it was a rule break.

I am waiting to talk to him in TS, I would rather sort it out there first, if I can. And with respect to your to your other comment; While I agree that I could just ignore, I almost feel like it is kind of cheating. And before I continue, I know that after we get shot, or gltich death we just shrug it off and find a  a valid reason why we found ourselves on the beach after a fire fight or run-in with zed. But that is an aspect of the game in order to continue RPing, if we permad a character every time we fell off a building or got shot our imaginations would run dry. 

This however, what happened yesterday, was in an instance were two people RPed out taking a limb, the memory is there for both their characters and mine. I didn't die, they both walked away and will probably talk about to other people and themselves. If I just "forget" it then they have to change an aspect/history of their character that may interrupt RP in the future with other people.

Roman    0

If you didn't agree to it and he did it anyway that's powergaming.

You don't have to roleplay it out since it was an action that broke the rules.

If you ever meet the man again and he asks "where is your arm" or something to that effect he would again powergame you.

My suggestion is to not roleplay out you missing an arm if you don't want to.

Doc Phlox    24

If you ever meet the man again and he asks "where is your arm" or something to that effect he would again powergame you.

Seriously? That is legit. And I didn't give permission, they never even asked OOC

Roman    0

Seriously? That is legit. And I didn't give permission, they never even asked OOC

7848c7d4da5edd355a0bd53113601682.png

Since Roman pretty much covered the powergaming aspect...

As far as being one-armed in the apocalypse goes, it's doable. Light melee weapons like machetes, baseball bats, etc. can be wielded one-handed. The double-barrel shotgun could be loaded if you placed the barrel(s?) between your legs pointed downward and used your knees to grip it, and if it was sawed-off you could even fire it one-handed (ditto for the single-shot rifle, dunno about the Mosin). Fruit can be gathered and meat harvested/roasted on a stick without issue. Tinned sardines (I think? it's the tan rectangle can) can be opened with a pull tab, meaning it doesn't need a can opener. Magazine-fed pistols wouldn't be hard to fire/reload, but you would only be able to reload the mags by gripping them between your knees (like the shotgun). The Skorpion and MP5 would be usable, but you would have to only hipfire them to simulate firing one-handed.

Since you wouldn't have access to decent long firearms, you'd have to focus more on stealth and strategy, and I'd advise finding a group to hang out with in case shit goes downhill. It's very viable, though. You could do it.

Lyca    776

You can live with one arm. I have only one arm too and I live with it.

Yes you need help with some things but you can do it. You can't hold heavy melee weapons, thats for sure.

When you want to hold a bigger weapon you can emote something like that you have a string around your shoulder and around your weapong for example.

You can also open cans, when you emote that you have the cans between you knees and use only one arm. Or you ask for help.

I only wanted to say, that it is clearly possible with only one arm.

Doc Phlox    24

You can live with one arm. I have only one arm too and I live with it.

Yes you need help with some things but you can do it. You can't hold heavy melee weapons, thats for sure.

When you want to hold a bigger weapon you can emote something like that you have a string around your shoulder and around your weapong for example.

You can also open cans, when you emote that you have the cans between you knees and use only one arm. Or you ask for help.

I only wanted to say, that it is clearly possible with only one arm.

Hold up, how would you tie the knot around the gun if you are alone. And that strong wouldn't even help, how would the gun ever stay steady, and the recoil.....

Lyca    776

Therefore you need help. But I guess there are enough friendly people who are willingly to help a guy with one arm.

Why do you want no help from other people?

I didnt say that you are good with weapons then. But its possible.

Doc Phlox    24

Therefore you need help. But I guess there are enough friendly people who are willingly to help a guy with one arm.

Why do you want no help from other people?

I didnt say that you are good with weapons then. But its possible.

I wasn't trying to be rude, my bad man. I was just confused because I thought you meant that all this stuff could be done alone.

I get you on being with people, it makes sense in general to role with da homiez. I would only be cautious because these days people will say they help, only to rob you. Like when people rob the elderly by pretending to be aids and stealing SS checks

Lyca    776

It's okay! :)

I only want to help you. I was/I am in the same position like you are.

As this whole thing happened to me I didnt have anybody. No friends, no one. My friend committed suicide when he saw me.

The first hours I asked random people who are willingly to help me. And nearly all people did help me out there.

There were all very friendly. Maybe it was luck. I dont know.

Later I had a group which helped me a lot then... ;)

So I know you can do it too. You must believe in yourself. It can be hard sometimes, when you have only one arm but there can be great situations too. ;)

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

Im no doctor, but wouldnt you die from having your arm cut off without immediate medical attention? Also the risk of infection, especially in an apocalypse where everything has been left to ruin, would be extremely high, and would probably lead to death.

Living with one arm is possible like people are saying. But in an apocalypse with one arm? Chances of survival decrease dramatically. It would make a lot of tasks impossible and the other tasks that were possible would take a much longer time than usual to complete.

Due to the circumstances of the injury, I would personally just ignore the event and pretend it never happened. I absolutely hate it when people powergame when roleplaying, especially when it is something that affects your character so much.

Doc Phlox    24

Im no doctor, but wouldnt you die from having your arm cut off without immediate medical attention? Also the risk of infection, especially in an apocalypse where everything has been left to ruin, would be extremely high, and would probably lead to death.

Living with one arm is possible like people are saying. But in an apocalypse with one arm? Chances of survival decrease dramatically. It would make a lot of tasks impossible and the other tasks that were possible would take a much longer time than usual to complete.

Due to the circumstances of the injury, I would personally just ignore the event and pretend it never happened. I absolutely hate it when people powergame when roleplaying, especially when it is something that affects your character so much.

Amen dude. I have trying to run throuhh my head how I can effectively live in this new world. How do i tie my shoes? My girlfriend's brother is an occupational therapist, he told.me last night that one hand in an apocalypse is a death sentence.

And I am ignoring it, and I agree about the power gaming. It kind of ruined the RP, especially because it was so badly done

Hebee    2644

If you don't want to report him even perhaps ask staff for his forum name and talk to him about it, display your displeasure with him, and I'm sure you can come to an agreement with him about how you are going to role play it out, but it would be best to at least  talk to him in this situation because he may not even realize he power gamed and may do it again.

Nocheluz    122

If you don't want to report him even perhaps ask staff for his forum name and talk to him about it, display your displeasure with him, and I'm sure you can come to an agreement with him about how you are going to role play it out, but it would be best to at least  talk to him in this situation because he may not even realize he power gamed and may do it again.

While it is admirable to want to talk it out, those suggesting you report it are not being mean towards the offender. As Hebee says, dude may not even realize what he's done. He definitely needs to know, so that he doesn't continue with a behavior that could ultimately get him perma banned from the community.

I'm glad to hear you are ignoring the amputation. It was not agreed to, thus you are not bound by it. Don't let it ruin your gameplay. Learn from it and help the other guy learn from it as well.

Cow    0

Does a report bring back your left arm?

More peace of mind but as said in other posts, he was Power Gamed so it's down to him.