Server time: 2017-08-17, 15:49

Sign in to follow this  
zoyo

Blood Donation RP

zoyo    64

Hey everyone! 

Right now I'm donating blood, it's the third time i've done it so far. And it's got me thinking, I've seen people give blood alot in RP. Very few times have I seen people act the slightest bit disoriented or weak after the blood is taken.

Many people need hours to recover after donating, and are not supposed to do anything too physically taxing for the next 24 hours atleast. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know if this is just a procaution. IRL I see people needing to lay down for awhile and rest.

I'm not saying people should have to RP out not being able to do anything too physical for a whole day or two, but I think it would be nice for people to RP the donation affect them a bit more. Maybe wait awhile and rest before they sprint off with their mountain backpack full of heavy gear.

What do you think? Should we try to RP this kind of thing more realistically, is it fine the way it is now? I'd like to hear your opinions.

Realistically, yes.

People should RP being a little faint or even weak, but then again it's a game and unfortunately you won't see it happen much. It would be cool to see from time to time and it's something I haven't really thought of. Kinda falls under the the same category of getting shot in the chest and still running around like a badass.

Spartan    987

I wouldn't RP weak and tired for 24 hours but I would probaly untill the session ends. IRL when people get shot by a mosin they aren't recovered in a week like RP ;)

Hmm...It depends on the person's physical build. I have donated blood before and only felt slightly dizzy afterwards, but I was able to do my daily stuff normally. There was this girl in my class which would come close to fainting after donating blood. I would say that -since our characters have gone this far in such a taxing environment- they can get away with most things after a blood donation. They will definitely get dizzy after a long trek or climb, or after sprinting.

I'm no doctor either, but this is how I assume it should go.

zoyo    64

I wouldn't RP weak and tired for 24 hours but I would probaly untill the session ends. IRL when people get shot by a mosin they aren't recovered in a week like RP ;)

What do you mean? Just bandage up and you'll be fine in a few minutes. Wimp. :troll:

Realistically, yes.

People should RP being a little faint or even weak, but then again it's a game and unfortunately you won't see it happen much. It would be cool to see from time to time and it's something I haven't really thought of. Kinda falls under the the same category of getting shot in the chest and still running around like a badass.

Yea, I guess so. I haven't actually given blood IC yet so I haven't had a chance to RP this myself. It's up to a few people to set the example, if it's a change worth spreading.

Doc Phlox    24

Hey everyone! 

Right now I'm donating blood, it's the third time i've done it so far. And it's got me thinking, I've seen people give blood alot in RP. Very few times have I seen people act the slightest bit disoriented or weak after the blood is taken.

Many people need hours to recover after donating, and are not supposed to do anything too physically taxing for the next 24 hours atleast. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know if this is just a procaution. IRL I see people needing to lay down for awhile and rest.

I'm not saying people should have to RP out not being able to do anything too physical for a whole day or two, but I think it would be nice for people to RP the donation affect them a bit more. Maybe wait awhile and rest before they sprint off with their mountain backpack full of heavy gear.

What do you think? Should we try to RP this kind of thing more realistically, is it fine the way it is now? I'd like to hear your opinions.

It depends, I give blood every 2 months. Have since I was 18. However, I never once got dizzy or disoriented. At my blood bank I won awards for filling the bag up fastest (5.3 minutes) and staying lucid. 

Again, it depends on you. I knew a kid who stood up and passed out, but he hadn't eaten all day and was very thin.

Depending on many factors determines how dizzy or faint you will feel. Did you eat that day, do you exercise?

Oliv    1541

Firstly, congrats on the donation, it's really nice to hear.

Now, I've actually done this in game, once, but I haven't donated much in game. Once Dr Hanz took my blood, and I RP'd being having about a 15 minute rest, eating food, and drinking a soda to help give my blood sugar a boost.

Now, when I donate in real life, takes me about an hour to donate (screening processes, etc. Only about 10-15 minutes in the chair) and then I go sit and have a coffee, juice, and a pile of cookies for about 10-15 minutes after.

Personally, donating blood doesn't slow me down and stop me from doing whatever I want really. I mean, I don't go for a run or anything, but lets face it, I don't run even when I haven't donated.

I've only had one bad experience donating where I passed out. On a hot summers day, after donating blood, I went to an amusement park. Passed out in line for a roller coaster.

Everyone is going to be a bit different, but I do love this conversation about taking something like this into consideration in RP. Who knows, maybe the game devs will make it something that will just happen to us. Imagine loosing blood however you want (getting shot for example), then bandaging up, running around at a full sprint cause you superhooman, then just passing out. You then come to with a zombie gnawing on your leg. Fun for everyone!

zoyo    64

-snip-

It depends, I give blood every 2 months. Have since I was 18. However, I never once got dizzy or disoriented. At my blood bank I won awards for filling the bag up fastest (5.3 minutes) and staying lucid. 

Again, it depends on you. I knew a kid who stood up and passed out, but he hadn't eaten all day and was very thin.

Depending on many factors determines how dizzy or faint you will feel. Did you eat that day, do you exercise?

You're defiantly right, it's different for everyone. I personally haven't been affected very much by donating either. I just sit down for a few minutes and have something to drink. Really that's all it takes to make the RP feel more real.

There are alot of different people in RP too, and I think it would be nice if people were more aware of how giving blood can make you feel. Sure you have your soldier type characters, but there are alot of people who also RP as civilians, not all that physically strong, like my character.

-snip-

Thanks Oliv, and I agree. I'm pretty sure that in the mod, you would keep passing out if you were low on blood. I'm not sure if that's a thing in the standalone though.

Hagger    117

In my opinion blood transfusions out in the field are pretty sketchy.

I try to keep my doctor RP as authentic as possible (I'm IRL paramedic/nurse) and I have been thinking about the blood transfusions in Dayz. Of course first I want to know what are the blood types of donor and receiver. If the characters say that they don't know or aren't sure about their blood types, I won't do it. Even if they have tested their blood with the blood test kit, I wouldn't do it because they are prone to failures. Only way to guarantee blood type is to take a blood sample and process it in laboratory conditions. So, I'd only do emergency blood transfusion to a person who has their blood tested before the outbreak. There is also more than just figuring out the blood types, for example immunoglobulin in the plasma, antigens and blood transmitted diseases. Once the blood is bagged it should be kept in +2 - +6ºC or used immediately. Blood will start coagulating very rapidly if it is not stored properly. I've seen people carrying blood bags in their backpack... that blood is long expired, if you would try to use it, it wouldn't most likely even move through the iv tubes.

And when the blood is transferred it is a slow process. You can give emergency blood pretty fast, but if the patient is not in grave danger, the blood transfusion will take about 30 - 60 min per bag. If person receives too much blood too fast it will cause fluids collecting into lungs and that... well it's not nice. The blood is usually given to a person through a device that warms the blood first. By giving cool or even room temperature fluids to the veins can affect the persons heat economy majorly.

People not playing out the physical ailments is nothing new. I've seen a RP situation where the guy with broken leg gets a splint and sprints away after 5s applying it. So I don't have very high hopes of people actually figuring out the effects of anemia/low blood and roleplaying them out.

It is shame that I haven't really been able to do proper doctor RP. I am prepared!

Doc Phlox    24

-snip-

You're defiantly right, it's different for everyone. I personally haven't been affected very much by donating either. I just sit down for a few minutes and have something to drink. Really that's all it takes to make the RP feel more real.

There are alot of different people in RP too, and I think it would be nice if people were more aware of how giving blood can make you feel. Sure you have your soldier type characters, but there are alot of people who also RP as civilians, not all that physically strong, like my character.

-snip-

Thanks Oliv, and I agree. I'm pretty sure that in the mod, you would keep passing out if you were low on blood. I'm not sure if that's a thing in the standalone though.

Zoyo, you are absolutely right that people should try and at least RPing sitting down or a dizzy spell. A few months ago gave blood to a doctor and I asked him for a soda after and sat down on my haunches.

Because in this apocalypse, most people are underfed or malnourished, or both. If you have blood, even as a soldier you would most likely feel woozy.

It is fun though, to donate blood in this game. I only did it once but it was funny

zoyo    64

-snip-

Wow, thanks for all the cool info man. That's awesome! :)

Hagger    117

-snip-

Wow, thanks for all the cool info man. That's awesome! :)

No problem,

I could do another rant about the antibiotics use in the game, but maybe I save it for later.

Vaine    23

Use to give blood years ago. Can say i never felt faint or weak after it.so if anything it would piss me off to find someone acting like they just donated a kidney. My view

I don't really know what it would be like to donate blood, never done it before but it would be interesting to see something like that. I think that if I was to play faint and weak, it'll be around for 20 minutes or the whole RP session like Spartan said. Would make it easier on myself cause you know, we eventually get to that point in time when we are like "Fuck it, there's no one here"

zoyo    64

Use to give blood years ago. Can say i never felt faint or weak after it.so if anything it would piss me off to find someone acting like they just donated a kidney. My view

I'm not saying it should be all that dramatic, but on an individual basis everyone should have a different reaction. If your not a very strong person and you're the only one who can give blood to someone,I think you should defiantly act atleast a bit dizzy or weak. You should sit down and rest a but before you run off.

Guest TCGBuNiTy   
Guest TCGBuNiTy

I actually agree with this, I think people should rest up for a while and actually act as if they were effected by the blood donation.

Hagger    117

Hey, I did some exams about blood transfusions couple of days ago and now I am legally certified to start blood/thrombocytes/pooled plasma etc. transfusions on people! AMA about blood :D

Roach    1513

I believe people should RP this out. You give blood, you'll feel weak.

However, certain situations arise which leads a human to be able to use any extra energy they have left to deal with said situation.

Adrenaline for example. If you're in a situation such as initiation or zombies coming your way, you don't wanna die, so your adrenaline will take over regardless of being weak. Humans are impressive. BUT, if you'Re not in said situations, then it's only natural to act like you're weak.

Now here my catch on TIME. It's a game and nobody wants to really act weak for like 1 to 5 days (depending on injury or amount of blood taken). It's normal, people don't wanna be confined to a "bed".

So I would limit myself to being "weak" for a day cycle in game since it goes by pretty quick. Just like when we did drugs in game. We pretend the effect lasts no longer than roughly 15-20 minutes. In real life, weed would last about 1 hour, coke about 45 minutes, morphine several hours and so on. But for RP and to not spend all day acting as such, you split down time, since server time goes by quick anyways.

So blood loss, in my opinion, should be acted out for at least 30 min in game time but if you really wanna take it somewhere, then wait a full IN-GAME day cycle.

Not sure if people get what I mean here ;)

Doc Phlox    24

I believe people should RP this out. You give blood, you'll feel weak.

However, certain situations arise which leads a human to be able to use any extra energy they have left to deal with said situation.

Adrenaline for example. If you're in a situation such as initiation or zombies coming your way, you don't wanna die, so your adrenaline will take over regardless of being weak. Humans are impressive. BUT, if you'Re not in said situations, then it's only natural to act like you're weak.

Now here my catch on TIME. It's a game and nobody wants to really act weak for like 1 to 5 days (depending on injury or amount of blood taken). It's normal, people don't wanna be confined to a "bed".

So I would limit myself to being "weak" for a day cycle in game since it goes by pretty quick. Just like when we did drugs in game. We pretend the effect lasts no longer than roughly 15-20 minutes. In real life, weed would last about 1 hour, coke about 45 minutes, morphine several hours and so on. But for RP and to not spend all day acting as such, you split down time, since server time goes by quick anyways.

So blood loss, in my opinion, should be acted out for at least 30 min in game time but if you really wanna take it somewhere, then wait a full IN-GAME day cycle.

Not sure if people get what I mean here ;)

Roach,

I think you bring up some good points. Adrenaline will take away that weakness. But then after that adrenaline you will probably feel even more exhausted, so people may have to RP that out as well.

But I just had a question in regards to your statement about RPing out the weakness.

I agree that some type of role play should be used to show you donated, however with the day cycle and how the time.multiplier works in game, how do you make it appropriate? Because some people feel better after an hour, but an hour in game is multiplied to, I am actually not sure. Will it get in the way if you decide to put two game hours into feeling woozy?

Hey everyone! 

There are a lot of things that should be RPed out but isn't. However I think people should RP out simple things like this, yes.

Mercy    485

I personally think it is a great idea!

With the IG time of day passing by quickly as well it means people won't have to be stuck in a continuous drowsy, disorientated, faint or even naucea :D

+1

I agree to some extent, but it really is a per person thing. The last time I donated blood, I didn't feel the least bit dizzy or faint. But I was also well hydrated and fed. In an apocalypse setting this is unlikely, so it would make sense

DeadKiller    0

The Thing is Donating blood can effect people in different ways. I've Donated blood several times and never felt any different.

Trimbly    0

Same for me I've done the regular one and the double red and never felt a difference from it. That being said I've also seen people pass out from getting a small vial taken. It should really just depend on the person if they want to RP that out.

I have donated blood few times and i didn't felt different/fainted/whatever after it.