Server time: 2017-08-23, 19:34

Sign in to follow this  

Too much group isolation?

Just something thats come across my mind..

I mean no disrespect to any groups, but it seems like some of the groups just isolate themselves way too much. To the point where they are rarely ever seen.

What are your thoughts on this? I'm curious as to whether I am alone in thinking this.

Not really sure if there are many of them out there, but if there are people that only run around with members of their group and isolate themselves from others purposely ,then all I can say is go on an empty pub and do it there, pretty much the same thing if you don't want anyone else , don't take up space on the server from people who might actually want to interact with others rather than stay hidden in a forest. Nothing against internal RP, but if you are purposely isolating yourself from others then yeah...

Not really sure if there are many of them out there, but if there are people that only run around with members of their group and isolate themselves from others purposely ,then all I can say is go on an empty pub and do it there, pretty much the same thing if you don't want anyone else , don't take up space on the server from people who might actually want to interact with others rather than stay hidden in a forest. Nothing against internal RP, but if you are purposely isolating yourself from others then yeah...

This is what I mean, like if you have a group thread and Cp and you say 'Fuck off" to pretty much everyone, whats the point?

There was a group that won a group of the year award for doing this.

Needless to say I never met them

Needless to say I never met them

Neither, its kinda an issue that official groups just seem to isolate themselves

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

Survivor groups that banded together makes complete sense to me, and I understand why they mainly do internal RP, as from an IC perspective it makes sense to stick around only with your own group who you trust and depend on, rather than meeting complete strangers all the time who could be a potential danger to your life. I find internal RP rather enjoyable to some extent, but I cannot do it all the time (at least for the most part). 

Yet overlooking the IC sense that it makes, I cannot really see the point in only doing internal RP. If you only stuck with your group to RP in some obscure, unpopular part of the map, then I question why you even bother to play on the server, as you could have the exact same experience on an empty/low pop public server, because you wouldn't be interacting with random people anyway. I have came across a couple groups that were doing "internal RP" in some obscure part of the map and it is clear, at least at the time, that they had no interest in interacting what so ever, which seemed to be fueled more from an OOC desire to stick with their own group to RP, rather than some IC reason. To some extent it borders onto elitism, where people form their own little groups where others are not welcome and will only stay within those groups because they think they are better. Im not saying this is the case for all groups that like to do internal RP, the vast majority of people will not think like that. But I can guarantee that there is a small minority that does, which will have some influence over others. 

For me, its the random encounters that make RP so fun. Its walking into a town, alone or with a group, having no idea what or who you will come across. I often find that the ones who wonder around alone or in small groups offer the more interesting RP anyway. Yet if you chose to stick to your own group and segregate yourself from the others that play on the servers then you wont ever get to experience other peoples RP, and they wont get to experience yours. Which leads me again to question why these types even bother to play on an RP server, if they have no interest in interacting outside their group.  Note that im not focusing on all groups/people that RP internally, but the ones who do so because they dislike RPing with other people on the server for what ever reason.

For these who prefer internal RP, try to find a nice middle ground between internal RP with your group and interaction with random encounters, as imo this is the best experience you can have. It allows you to build a story and create relationships within your group, but it also allows you to have those random encounters with people, which keep things interesting, stopping any RP from becoming stale, and you might make new friends IC that could later join your group.

I have to agree with you here.

I don't have anything against internal RP, in fact it's great, but when that's the only thing you do it can be bad imo. Yes, it helps develop your characters. Yes, it might save you from getting robbed. However, it takes your 6+ slots away from the sever in a way. Those slots are something groups that go out and RP could use. People want to interact with different groups and people for a change.

I'm not saying stop internal RP all together by any means, but get out and meet people from time to time.

Dusty    1065

I agree as well. Simon stated it perfectly, if you're gonna purposefully isolate yourselves, and that is literally the only thing you do, then go do it on an empty pub server. You're just taking up slots for people who actually want to interact with others and have organic RP. 

I also believe that groups should only be accepted if they don't isolate themselves. Official groups should be groups that actually affect the lore and other groups. Sitting in a small village, day after day, where nobody goes just so you can have internal RP is not affecting anything but the names of players on the server. If a group wants to be 100% isolated, then they should stay as a group idea or go to pubs.

I don't know, personally, in the Serverni we do a lot of internal RP, I have been in groups which focused on Internal Rp as well. It's not easy to pull off most of the time. It gets stale real quick but it's fun for a couple weeks. Most of the groups I know sometimes travel to populated areas. more times than not people decide to tell us to fuck off instead of the other way around like you said.

Internal RP groups are great in my opinion, cause not every group is going to be like the ASO, Irish or Reapers, it's nice to be in a small tight group, where you know everyone's face and name. It builds development really well, hell most of my characters development I owe to internal RP either with the Wolves, Reapers or Serverni.

Ryssen    21

I agree. I feel there has been an influx of groups completely focused on internal RP that just stick to themselves, and does not expose themselves to much "outside RP".

However, people are allowed to RP in their own way, can't really tell them not to (unless it's breaking the rules of course) and we can not tell them what to do. But, would like groups like this to go out and RP with others aswell, especially since I know some of the people in these groups are terrific RPers. This does not mean you don't have to internal RP, just change it up from time to time.

This is kinda a hard to talk about issue whilst not offending or misrepresenting someone.

Of course, there is no requirements to be "unique" or outgoing as a group, if you meet the criteria you can post your group. That being said, I feel that sometimes people post their group just for a CP. I really like what the NWM had been doing as a dynamic group, instead of posting a thread on the group forums as they couldn't commit enough to it. Internal RP is great, however it shouldn't be your only focus in game.

Phoenix    1064

Remember this is an apocalypse. If it was real most people would be hanging around factories with their groups making the most out of everyday.

We get told to treat this as if it was real life. What happens in real life? What could happen? What situations could happen?

Internal RP is important to keep the reality there as most groups in a real life apocalypse would just stay around somewhere and keep eachother company whilst scavaging for supplies or going out to find new shelter. Take the walking dead as an example.

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

Remember this is an apocalypse. If it was real most people would be hanging around factories with their groups making the most out of everyday.

We get told to treat this as if it was real life. What happens in real life? What could happen? What situations could happen?

Internal RP is important to keep the reality there as most groups in a real life apocalypse would just stay around somewhere and keep eachother company whilst scavaging for supplies or going out to find new shelter. Take the walking dead as an example.

I understand this argument and even agree with it to some extent. Speaking realistically, it makes perfect sense for groups to stay together and avoid outsiders. After all, it is an apocalypse. But I can use the same argument for justifying KOS. Its an apocalypse so why cant I shoot people on sight rather than risk interaction. But we all know how destructive that would be to RP. Its fine to internally RP, but it needs to be done in moderation, otherwise the people who only do internal RP are just wasting server slots for those who actually want to interact with other community members. Sure, they may be having fun doing it, but there is no need to be on a restricted RP server if you have no intention of actually interacting with other people.

Also, again looking at it from a realistic perspective, groups that only stuck to themselves would eventually die off. Interaction with other people is key to survival. Group members will eventually fall ill and die, or just die to other circumstances and the group will ultimately become very small and then non-existent. Interaction with other people that the group doesnt know allows for relationships to be built and new members added to the group. The walking dead is a perfect example of this. Ricks group wouldnt exist if they didnt meet new people. Rick himself was a new member to the group in the beginning. Some members die and they are replaced by new people that they come across/come across them. 

Internal RP is fine, as long as it is not all you do in your group. Try to interact with other people that you dont know from time to time.

Dusty    1065

Internal RP is great, and I agree that it's realistic for groups to slightly isolate themselves. However, if a group completely isolates themselves from literally everyone else on the server, I think that's an issue. If the groups that only internal RP'd would actually go out to populated areas more, then I think it would be better for everyone's RP because they're actually potentially affecting the lore of the server as well as opening themselves up to more spontaneous events.

Oliv    1572

Honestly, I think you need a good balance of both. Maybe that's just my preference, to have a balance of both internal and externally motivated RP.

I'll give a good example to counteract the argument made here in this thread with my own experiences.

While a member of Zbor, I was given information that could drastically change how my character viewed things about the group. Enzo wanted a discussion with the powers that be, particularly Miroslav. The closest he ever came to having that discussion was 3 minutes he got with Borislav, which was interrupted by some one eavesdropping on us, cutting the conversation short before it really got to the meat of it all.

For over a month, Enzo tried to have this conversation. Due to not always having the opportunities to internally RP, it never happened and as far as he knows, everyone maybe dead.

So now, I ask you, is it fair to inadvertently stunt character and character relations development due to the fact that a group is more externally RP focused?

Ron    772

In my opinion Internal RP should be the main goal of any group. This does not mean that you dont interact with randomers crossing your path or close down possible recuitment. It makes sense. Group up, fight together, survive together and keep your distance to strangers. This does not automaticlly mean isolation. You should of course give people a chance to interact. It should be realistic and therefor use your rp to get into a group / into trusting someone. You want to be part? Then go ahead and show what you got! 

Otherwise why would I take the risk of feeding another mouth?

Marcunt    218

Internal RP is very important to a group and especially for the bigger ones for exterminating any kind of confusion within it, however external RP is just as important for both the group and our whole community. If a certain group only does internal RP they will most likely enjoy it a whole lot, however it's highly unrealistic in a sense that in a real apocalypse like this, they would certainly bump into others at one point or another. 

Another con from focusin on internal RP is that when you do run into others who are not part of your group, you might have insufficient amounts of experience communicating with people outside of your little bubble, leading to poor RP which thereafter gives you bad reputation and a place in the archives. *Super Mario Bros' dying/losing music plays*

Your point on there being so many survivor groups I personally disagree with. I believe that normal survivor groups made by people who band together after meeting eachother, helping eachother etc. would be far more common than any other type of group out there. Think "The Walking Dead" or any other apocalyptic show/movie/book out there and you'll find that survivors almost always find others to survive the harsh new world they live in. Not all would immediately begin coming up with ways to take over, trade or any other ways our community groups survive.

These are all my personal opinions and theories.

Cheers.

Slash    84

Some groups and people like to have a lot of internal RP and isolate themselves. I think it's 100% acceptable if you want to isolate yourself from the mass and RP with your group.

If people like to RP that way and have a valid IC reason for that we need to accept their way of RP.

+1 for internal RP.

Roach    1558

I fully support Internal RP!

I see nothing wrong with it and provides a much longer life and more fulfilling outcome of their lores.

Have you been out there recently? The world has changed a lot and it's full of "bad" people who look to rob, torture or kill.

So why would some people just walk into that when they can enjoy a lot of internal RP that can lead to some of the most amazing RP you ever had.

I've only had limited interaction with people IG, as the server is usually empty or I'm in the middle of nowhere. But the multiple groups (I say groups, but they were only ever three or four people. They always say they have more tho) that I have run into always give me quick casual talk and head on their way, not wanting to "disturb me" when I'm clearly doing nothing and trying to talk to them. I dont mind, tho. Makes it easier for me, but defiantly take away a lot of possibilities for fun.

Spartan    1027

Internal RP is good but groups who isolate themselves shouldnt do that. Its always good to RP with outsiders, even though people/groups might be skeptical. We (the wolves) do internal RP while traveling around or setting up in for example green mountain so we can meet people and they can tag along if they want. Its always nice to meet new people but good internal RP is great aswell :)

Hagger    117

I agree,

I've noticed a big change from the time I started RP compared to where we stand now. In the past almost everyone you met lead into a interesting RP experience. People stuck around and started travelling with you or just stopped for a long campfire RP. But now, everyone seems to be in a group and always doing stuff with their group members. Pretty much 90% of player encounter I've recently had have been super short 30s small-talk: "Hey I gotta go, my friends are waiting for me." Or there is a huge band of +6 people who just run past you, one of them says something brief and everyone continues on their merry way. Seems like random non-group survivors aren't really interesting target for RP anymore.

And I've also noticed that people talk often in TS even when there is other people around them. I would appreciate that we could pretend that characters have real radios with them, not telepathic communication. If you talk to someone in TS and IC, please could you say it also through VOIP? For sake of immersion. This is just my pet peeve about TS and the main reason why I don't like using it as in-game radio.

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

And I've also noticed that people talk often in TS even when there is other people around them. I would appreciate that we could pretend that characters have real radios with them, not telepathic communication. If you talk to someone in TS and IC, please could you say it also through VOIP?

Honestly, if people are doing this, then they shouldnt even bother being in the game. They would have the same experience sitting in a TS channel and RPing with voice.

Thats actually pretty disgraceful imo if people actually do it.  Its one thing to talk OOC and plan things in TS, but using IC to completely ignore those around you so they cant listen. Thats internal RP on a whole new level. pls.

Defiance    96

I agree with everyone who supports InternalRP on this thread, for the most part. Ron, Slash, Roach...I agree with them 100%.

InternalRP is difficult to pull off on the long-term. I was having the most fun after two or three weeks of internalRP with my group, and THEN we would go out into public. A lot of people seemed impressed by how our internalRP translated to a public area. It helps so much to reinforce the fact that every single one of your group members are unique characters with their own thoughts, desires, and personality.

I don't care if my group takes up 15+ spots as long as we're having fun and giving good and original RP. Besides, most groups will internallyRP in the same few spots again and again and again. It gives you a reason to travel, and sometimes just eavesdropping on internalRP can lead to some really incredible experiences. I've had a blast spying on The Trust before, and if they were just waltzing around in public areas I don't think they would have delivered as good of RP compared to when it's just them.

Sometimes the best RP comes from a position of comfort. If I'm with my group, I know that I can freely "bend" the rules to generate conflict and further my group's narrative without upsetting anyone. In short, I feel very comfortable taking risks with my group and with my group alone. Sometimes I use internalRP to test ideas out before I take them into Kabanino or whatever. InternalRP is far, far too valuable to discredit. I believe it should be the focus of official groups, at least for the beginning of their lifespan.

In short, I'm a huge fan of internalRP. It's challenging, fun, and developments relationships between characters that otherwise might not ever develop.