Server time: 2017-08-18, 00:59

Sign in to follow this  
ge936

DayZ Public servers. Why so hostile?

ge936    2

Hey

Ive finally had my whitelist application accepted for review after a few failed attempts (I didn't read the questions properly like an idiot!) but I'm so looking forward to getting involved with like minded players! I hope the review isn't too long! But anyway, I wanted to share my experience of DayZ public servers ask what would change the public server communities mind set?

My experience is that you play for a few hours, gearing up, looting some places, only to get shot/killed by someone who didn't even attempt to speak! its a KOS fest!! I think that if 1 person is going to KOS, everyone else does the same. Its them or me kind of attitude. Don't get me wrong I have met some friendly helpful people in the public servers but they are few and far between!

What do you guys think would help make the DayZ Public servers a less hostile place to play? I know this thread wont put the world to rights but I'm interested in hearing others opinions and experiences.

Thanks!!

Until zombies become a proper threat people will just kill eachother on pub servers because what else is there really to do after they gear up? Really isn't much that can be done about it currently.

I like to shoot people because it is fun. Zombies are boring and the only way to get that adrenaline fix in dayz is to know that, any second now somebody can punch my fuckin ticket and I'll have to start gearing all over. It honestly makes the game. If it wasn't for Rp servers and streamers this game would be axed already.n

As Xero3451 pointed out the reason players are hostile towards one another is because there are no other real threats. The developers stated DayZ was always meant to be a survival game, not a PvP game, but until the threat of zombies become real people will continue to kill one another first.

ge936    2

Yeah I get what you're saying and I agree in a way.

I get really really paranoid sometimes that I don't even want to leave the building I'm held up in! And then like you say the adrenaline kicks in when something does happen. I always get sweaty palms! But at the same time I like to have a reason to shoot at someone rather then just because they are there. I guess it goes to the old saying, nice guys finish last! That definitely applies to public servers!

Thanks for your response :)

Boston    645

Like Post said, there's no real threat apart from Players, and let's face it, killing someone in this game is pretty exciting, so Pubs are KoS atleast until there's more threats... i.e. Zombies, NPC Humans, Predators, disease, etc...

zoyo    64

Until zombies become a proper threat people will just kill eachother on pub servers because what else is there really to do after they gear up? Really isn't much that can be done about it currently.

^ This

Rarely do two fully geared people team up; however, it's more commonly seen that people with nothing will come together.

Yeah, I've played very little pubs, but the only occasions where I've been friendly and met a friendly person was when neither of us had gear. If I'd had a gun I would have mowed him down, and the feeling was probably mutual but as neither of us could, we decided to work together.

I guess it's because there's not much to do otherwise, and it's what makes the game fun. The adrenaline when you're in a firefight and could lose everything you have, or when you're being hunted and trying to escape - DayZ on public servers is only fun when action is happening, unlike on an RP server.

Hebee    2216

This is it right here, besides it's pretty fun sometimes to just squad battle in cities, until the hackers show up at least.

Bump.

Spawn, Loot, shoot, die, re-spawn and repeat. Pub servers.

ge936    2

I do enjoy a good scrap in the cities every now and then. It's hard being a lone wolf though! Sneaky evasion is also a good time

Whenever I decide to hop on public, my only aim is to kill people. If I want interactions that's when I play on RP servers.

Ark    198

Like everyone said, until zombies are a true threat pubs will remain how they are, however thats only one piece of the problem. Mind frame is another piece, like you said everyone has the mentality of its them or me and why should i risk losing everything.

Its a catharsis.

Stradic    252

I agree that pub is very pvp due to zombies basically being an annoyance rather then a threat but I don't think much will change when they do because the mindset is basically kill or be killed. I wont lie that when I jump on pub I do it mostly to just get some pvp or screw around.

Iv'e just applied for whitelist rather 10 minutes ago, and I too am hopin the same as you, so I can get out of public server life of DayZ, because I have gone into 280 hours of pure bitter gameplay. Looking for something enjoyable and I wish that bringing semi-rp styles to public servers or at least a story aspect would improve a lot once they fix the dirt.

Joules    226

DayZ pub has almost always been very PVP/KOS even since the very beginning of the mod. I've only noticed it getting worse with the addition of standalone. I think a lot of that might have to do with the fact that this is now a game for purchase, instead of a game that required some extra work, as well as Arma II and OAH to play. This allows people to access servers more easily, and for people who are only interested in lightly gearing up and trying to kill someone an easier time of acquiring the game.

I really don't think the mentality of pub will change dramatically if the infected become more of a threat. People will most likely still try to kill others, or at the very least it will make player interaction much less frequent, as a few more people would covet their gear more than others who are only just purely in it for the PVP and the laughs.

If it wasn't for Rp servers and streamers  this game would be axed already.

lol

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

The replys. Pls.

No one cares if zombies are a threat or not in public. It won't make people play together anymore than they already do.

The game is a PvPvE. 

The point of it is taking risks to either gain it all or losing it all. The thrill of dayz is killing that one guy for his gear, knowing that you reveal yourself to anyone nearby who can kill you at any moment. Risk ad reward.

There is a reason PvE servers always fail in dayz (including the mod era, where zombies could actually be made a threat). The vast majority of people don't play dayz for PvE, they play it for the PvP and the unique experience it offers. There are few games which offer similar gameplay to dayz, where weapons are rare, killing people takes skill (for the most part) and you could lose it all in a moment from that sniper 800m away.

PvP and KoS is what makes dayz public servers.

Hagger    117

Dayz lacks any proper "late game". The surviving and getting decently geared up isn't really a challenge. The only thing you can really do to spend your time is to hunt other players.

Usually when I am in the public server I just try to murder as many people as possible before I succumb to my wounds.

Malvarik    7

I think once the Desync is fixed and some negative killing effects are added, there will be a decrease in kos. As for desync , currently some have the opinion that they need to kill you while they can before a fight starts where de sync can be the deciding factor.