Server time: 2017-08-19, 22:42

Sign in to follow this  
Jowad Berekdar

Would this be metagaming?

Question

So this might have been addressed before, and is technically addressed in the lore section but I just need to make sure: If, during RP, we mention something before the outbreak, such as The Walking Dead TV show, would that be acceptable??

If I make references to actors, singers, communities, movies, shows, or videogames that were out before october 2014 (I would leave out DayZ for obvious reasons) would that be acceptable? Or would it be metagaming?

7 answers to this question

Yeah, just make sure it's before that whole date thing.

Videogames however, just don't talk about Steam and DayZ... Use common sense really, when roleplaying.

Defiance    96

No metagaming there at all. If your character would have been exposed to those particular experiences before the outbreak, then you're good to go. As long as you don't refer to anything that has happened since the outbreak, you will be fine. I've had frequent discussions ICly about The Matrix, Star Wars, Monster Truck rallies, heavy metal music, and so forth.

Pussy    311

Like Natuk said, as long as you would have heard about it before the date of the apocalypse, then there would be no issue. Just triple check that a song didn't come out afterwards before you start singing it IG  C:

Hebee    2216

Yeah that's fine, it's not meta gaming, obviously make sure it makes sense and you're not just bringing it up to be cheeky oocly.

Like Natuk said, as long as you would have heard about it before the date of the apocalypse, then there would be no issue. Just triple check that a song didn't come out afterwards before you start singing it IG  C:

Alrighty then. Thanks and /solved please!

Defiance    96

With all the answers provided, I'm going to go ahead and mark this as /solved.

Jowad, feel free to follow up with any additional questions about this topic that you might have. I'm sure many of us would be glad to answer.

It's not an issue, but I think like many there's a sort of voided history of prior knowledge of zombies to a lot of people. This happens a lot in modern media too with subject matter such as zombies, vampires, or other creatures. In TWD there's no prior acknowledgement of zombies such as someone saying, "Hey, this is just like that George Romero movie!" A lot of shows and film sort of address these encounters as a first time experience, but that isn't really the case on DayZRP. You're allowed to acknowledge that things like this were in the media if you want. I personally prefer the first route, but it conflicts heavily if everyone is not on the same page, and would be too hard to enforce people referring to media examples.