Server time: 2017-10-24, 07:48
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Connvexus

CPU Temperatures.

Question

Connvexus    36

Hey guys, I built my PC towards the end of last year. 

Specs:

GPU: Geforce GTX 980 Superclocked 4.0GB

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3

16 GB RAM HyperX Fury

Windows 10

3 x 140mm fans (two top, one back)

1 x 200mm fan (front)

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (black)

Does anyone know the temperatures my CPU can handle? I have looked and looked and I can't find an official thing saying specific temperatures, and only forum posts about peoples reaching 100 degrees. The fan (stock) and heatsink are seated properly.

I've only reached 72 degrees while playing the Division on Ultra), gets to 70 on DayZ. Then like 50s on other less demanding games.

My PC idles around 40 but then I read CPUs are spose to idle at like 30 degrees

Do you think my CPU temps are too high?

15 answers to this question

Defiance    96

Your temperatures are just a little high. It seems like you're running stock cooling, so if you're really concerned about it you could invest in better fans.

It also might be time to clean out your PC a little. Getting rid of dust near the heatsinks can help a lot, and making sure your fans are running smooth will help.

tnkydoe    14

Temps seem to be pretty normal maybe a little high tbh. 70s is kind of iffy but should be fine. My PC idles anywhere from 15-25 and maybe 30-40s on hotter summer days. Only game that has pushed to the 60-70s is GTAV which is kind of random but meh. I would say if you ever push 80s to be worried. If your worried about your CPU, you can always put some new thermal paste.

My Specs;

GPU: GTX 970 Windforce edition

CPU: AMD 8350 8 core

8 GB Ram

Windows 10

5x 140mm (2 top 1 back 2 front)

Fractal Design Define R4

Connvexus    36

Yeah I've cleaned regularly, it seems like an after market fan is my best option.

My idle temperature has always been from 35-40 degrees. I hope it's just the stock cooler.

Asriel    0

100% it is the stock cooler, you shouldn't need to clean your case. The intel stock coolers are meh at best, so if you really want to cool down your CPU more (most people do this because they think it makes their CPU last longer) go ahead and buy an aftermarket one. Otherwise your temperatures are 100% fine, especially for a stock cooler.

Also, I noticed you're using a server CPU, come to think of it that's actually fairly smart, because if I remember correctly the Xeon E3-1241 is pretty much the same as its i7 brother but without the internal graphics. More cash saved. I must remember that for when I build my high end PC.

Keira    1475

For that particular intel card, your temperatures are very typical and average. I know the newer ones do idle at a much higher temp than the past ones did.

Samaritan    352

Yes your temps seems high, I used to get those kind of temps on my old system. In regards to my new build the CPU idles about 21 degrees and after an intense gaming session (8+ hrs) or with GPU intensive games the CPU reaches averages around 32 degrees and doesn't get higher than that. I have a Intel i5 6600K CPU.

Might be an idea to revise your CPU cooling system, stock fan and heatsink are general poor at keeping temps low. I use a Corsair H80i which seems to keep things nice and cool.

EDIT: Or what Rolle said.

Rolle    2985

70-80*C with stock cooler is normal and perfectly within limits. Since it's a Xeon and you can't OC it, there is little to no point in upgrading the cooling.

Temps seem to be pretty normal maybe a little high tbh. 70s is kind of iffy but should be fine. My PC idles anywhere from 15-25 and maybe 30-40s on hotter summer days. Only game that has pushed to the 60-70s is GTAV which is kind of random but meh. I would say if you ever push 80s to be worried. If your worried about your CPU, you can always put some new thermal paste.

My Specs;

8 GB Ram

Windows 10

Fractal Design Define R4

No modern CPU idles at 15*C unless the PC is refrigerated or outside on a very cold day ;)

Ron    809

Hey Aussie Connor,

do you feel like your question has been answered?

Connvexus    36

Yes thanks everyone

<3

Ron    809

Alright,

let us know if there are any further questions.

I will mark this as /solved.

tnkydoe    14

70-80*C with stock cooler is normal and perfectly within limits. Since it's a Xeon and you can't OC it, there is little to no point in upgrading the cooling.

My Specs;

8 GB Ram

Windows 10

Fractal Design Define R4

No modern CPU idles at 15*C unless the PC is refrigerated or outside on a very cold day ;)

But

96b181337c445093bd4b857498a8a175.png

Cow    0

It's official, he lives in an igloo.

I run AMD so my PC keeps my legs warm.

Chow    45

-Snip

But

A couple of your cores might, but core temperature is one thing, cpu temp is another.

Rolle    2985

But

You live outside? :D

tnkydoe    14

But

You live outside? :D

Nah I just set my PC outside my window for maximum airflow. My temps drop really low when it rains.