Server time: 2017-10-21, 15:49
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Zero

Creating fictional areas/cities for lore purposes?

Question

Zero    463

I was just curious if creating a fictional city or area would be considered breaking the rules, especially for group lore purposes. Example.. 

In my group lore I state that the group originally started in a fictional city that myself has created for lore purposes, whether this city or area be located in Chernarus or Takistan, or a real life country or region. I know implementing yourself or your group into the lore itself would be considered not allowed, such as stating you know how the virus started, how it works, etc, but would this fall under the same pretense?

8 answers to this question

Brodie    43

To be completely honest, if you're making up a fictional city or area, it'd kind of make no sense, as the lore and map and all that has already been made, and you and your group, or whoever's involved in your lore will know about it, and everyone else will just be confused on what you're talking about, and not a clue. It might make sense for yee, but for other people, they'd have no clue about it, so it would make no sense for them.

Defiance    96

The general rule of thumb when creating fictional areas/cities is to avoid specifics. It's one thing to say that your group hailed from a small town in Western Chernarus, and another thing to say that your group came from Poopsalot near Cherno. The former example is vague but doesn't powergame the lore whatsoever, and the latter example does powergame the lore.

As long as you don't include specifics, you should be fine. 

A similar question was asked the other week that touched on this same topic: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-How-much-are-we-allowed-to-power-game-the-lore

Hopefully my response answered your question, and if not then I think the link I provided has enough similarities to point you in the right direction. Let me know if you'd like to dive into this further, as I'd be glad to clarify anything I'd said.

Zero    463

Hm, I'm not necessarily saying something within Chernarus or Takistan itself. I will be more specific, if I were allowed to do this, it would be a fictional city some where within Asia, the reason being it is not well known would be, well, just because it's a small city that's crime ridden and for those reasons, no one would really care about.

Wasn't entirely sure if it would be power gaming the lore or not. Of course, I would explain in the entirety of the situation within the group lore itself so perhaps then it would make more sense. The reason for them being here would also be explained in the lore, the only reason for the fictional city would be to explain how they started, when, where, and why.

If it would be considered power-gaming, of course, I could use a more realistic choice and fix the matter, just wanted clarification on the matter.

Defiance    96

Also, to kind of help you implement this into YOUR role-play, you can do something like this.

You: "I'm from a small town far to the West."

RPer: "That small town got a name?"

You: "Yeah, but it doesn't matter. I won't be going back there again."

So just avoid specifics and you should be fine!

Hm, I'm not necessarily saying something within Chernarus or Takistan itself. I will be more specific, if I were allowed to do this, it would be a fictional city some where within Asia, the reason being it is not well known would be, well, just because it's a small city that's crime ridden and for those reasons, no one would really care about.

Wasn't entirely sure if it would be power gaming the lore or not. Of course, I would explain in the entirety of the situation within the group lore itself so perhaps then it would make more sense. The reason for them being here would also be explained in the lore, the only reason for the fictional city would be to explain how they started, when, where, and why.

My question to you would be: Why does it need to be a fictional city? I don't know too much about Asia, but there's probably at least one crime ridden city somewhere in the continent. If you are going to make it fictional, then just avoid specifics and you'll be fine. I don't feel that it's necessary for you to invent a new city to achieve what you want out of your group's lore. 

I'm sure one of our lovely and hard working Loremasters would be glad to help you find a suitable city. :D

Zero    463

-Snip- 

My question to you would be: Why does it need to be a fictional city? I don't know too much about Asia, but there's probably at least one crime ridden city somewhere in the continent. If you are going to make it fictional, then just avoid specifics and you'll be fine. I don't feel that it's necessary for you to invent a new city to achieve what you want out of your group's lore. 

I'm sure one of our lovely and hard working Loremasters would be glad to help you find a suitable city. :D

I suppose it would be just to add my own spin on it and to make it much easier for me to work with it. I was working on a previous group before I began writing this one, and due to being restricted to some where close to the border of Chernarus in Russia, had to scrap the idea entirely because due to locations, it made it far to unreasonable for said group to be traversing across the entirety of Russia from North all the way to the border of the South. 

That as well, with a fictional city, I could work much better with seeing as I wouldn't be entirely constricted to a number of things I take into account when writing the lore of things such as how realistic would this be for this region, etc.

Defiance    96

-Snip- 

I suppose it would be just to add my own spin on it and to make it much easier for me to work with it. I was working on a previous group before I began writing this one, and due to being restricted to some where close to the border of Chernarus in Russia, had to scrap the idea entirely because due to locations, it made it far to unreasonable for said group to be traversing across the entirety of Russia from North all the way to the border of the South. 

That as well, with a fictional city, I could work much better with seeing as I wouldn't be entirely constricted to a number of things I take into account when writing the lore of things such as how realistic would this be for this region, etc.

I completely understand that concern. I come from a background of writing crime fiction and often used cities I'd never visited or didn't know a lot about as the setting for my stories. They were always REAL cities (Chicago, New York City, Las Vegas, etc.), but the important thing to keep in mind is that, no matter what, the story you're trying to tell is a fictional one and even if it takes place in a real-world location the events that take place will be fictional. The best stories are the kind that bend the truth a little, at least in my opinion.

I'm not sure exactly how diligent our loremasters are, but I would be extremely surprised if they called you out for not nailing down the specifics of a random city in Asia. The focus is more on the overall story and how believable it is. Settings can be important, but they aren't nearly as important as the story itself and I think that's the primary focus of our loremaster team. As long as you give a detailed and realistic account for how your group arrived in Chernarus, then I don't think there will be much of an issue. 

Given that, I'd still recommend just being vague about it. It's the easiest and least messy route to take. I'd focus on the story more and less on the setting. 

I hope that helps, Walker. Let me know if there's anything more I can do.

Zero    463

-Snip- 

-Snip-

-Snip- 

I completely understand that concern. I come from a background of writing crime fiction and often used cities I'd never visited or didn't know a lot about as the setting for my stories. They were always REAL cities (Chicago, New York City, Las Vegas, etc.), but the important thing to keep in mind is that, no matter what, the story you're trying to tell is a fictional one and even if it takes place in a real-world location the events that take place will be fictional. The best stories are the kind that bend the truth a little, at least in my opinion.

I'm not sure exactly how diligent our loremasters are, but I would be extremely surprised if they called you out for not nailing down the specifics of a random city in Asia. The focus is more on the overall story and how believable it is. Settings can be important, but they aren't nearly as important as the story itself and I think that's the primary focus of our loremaster team. As long as you give a detailed and realistic account for how your group arrived in Chernarus, then I don't think there will be much of an issue. 

Given that, I'd still recommend just being vague about it. It's the easiest and least messy route to take. I'd focus on the story more and less on the setting. 

I hope that helps, Walker. Let me know if there's anything more I can do.

I understand, the idea was to have some sort of city where even the entirety of the police were beyond corrupt to the point even they did crimes in the wide open, I wasn't entirely sure if this was completely realistic in a real location, so I just was wondering if creating a fictional city and explaining it to where it would be believable would be considered power-gaming the lore. 

Thank you for your input into the matter.

Defiance    96

I wish you the best of luck with your writing. If you have any other questions, just let us know!

With that, I'm going to mark this as /solved.