Server time: 2017-10-24, 11:34
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
DatBlueWolf

Hostile Factions and You: A Question

DatBlueWolf    39

Hello folks,

I just was browsing through the forum and saw a report about a guy running away from a large group of people. It's currently being looked at and no verdict has been reached, but it begs an interesting question.

It's reasonably common knowledge who the big baddies are in South Zagoria. For example, a lot of people know about the Masquerade mainly about what they look like and what they do to people. While it's a bit touchy of a subject as to whether or not it's acceptable to get the heck out of dodge when you see a large group of people rolling through the plains. I think it's something to consider as to what is an appropriate reaction IC.

It seems to be a pretty good assumption that a large group of people rolling up on you is bad for your health. I would certainly be freaked out if I was in that situation. However, most of my characters are chill to a fault and would just keep on strolling. So, I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts.

If you know a hostile faction is active in an area, have that sort of a reputation, and suddenly a large group of people is sprinting towards you. Would you run?

Spartan    1249

when I travel with my group we have around the 8/12 guys/girls. To be fair, if someone spots us and turns around to sprint away I want to chase them and initiate for sprinting away and whatelse. Just walk up and RP, maybe use a fake voice and name if you don't trust it. Sprinting away makes people want to initiate on you.

Issues    0

I agree with Spartan. If someone runs from me, IC, my character is suspicious as to why they are running from me. So, I feel the need to question them.

I wouldn't consider it avoiding RP if your character has a bad history with the group he/she is running away from. But that's just my honest opinion.

I agree with you, seeing as my character and his two brothers don't usually stick around for a group of 10-15 guys to roll up to them. (Seeing as the last time that happened they got nearly beaten to death in a shack). I understand why most big groups chase after people who run from them, but that's just part of the risk. Once me and my bros got stalked for several miles by a big group searching for us. I don't think the report was because he ran though, more because when he ran he couldn't escape and he he tried to RDM. We'll have to see what the admins decide. Just my two cents.

Wolfe    0

I agree with Spartan. That's mainly what happens with the Gamblers; we even say, if you see us and start to run away we're going to chase you and probably initiate on you (if you don't stop running when we ask you to) but if you come up and talk to us we're pretty chill, unless you have just a generally bad attitude to us. So most of the time now I usually just walk up and talk to groups of people, no matter what happens, it's RP and that's what we're all here for; right..?  ;)

Edit: Also, if a large group is chasing you, why continue to run? The longer it takes them to catch you (which they eventually will) the more pissed off they're going to be and the worse it will end up for you. Just food for thought.

Hebee    2683

If you have a valid reason IC to run it is okay that is only my opinion however. But just running from a big group without any reason (i.e. firefight recently or something of that sort) is not acceptable, because this is a role playing server and that kills any chance of any role play.

But as I said that is my opinion there have been reports where even a seemingly good reason to run was still not good enough example:

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-RP1-NVFL-BadRP-Possible-baiting-Vybor-21-02-2016-20-00?pid=1370817#pid1370817

Also I do not run generally if there is a hostile faction in the area, it is actually a lot of fun having hostile rp with these groups, and I'd rather do that than just run and hide

Cow    0

Personally this is a fairly straight forward thing.

It makes very little sense to me that a single or smaller group would even consider engaging with another, larger group when they don't know who it is.

The landscape is a dangerous one, cannibals, murderers, slavers and some people expect me to welcome them with open arms and a friendly smile on my face? People run from larger groups because they don't want to be hostile or they're afraid and that I do not blame them.

I do not believe that people should be punishable for valuing their lives when confronted with a larger group.

When a smaller group runs, yeah it makes the larger want to initiate the hostilities most of the time but clearly that could be forcing RP instead of letting it happen naturally.

Large groups scare people and punishing people for valuing their lives is a joke.

That report is a bad example purely based on it's outcome.

CorbSlayer    44

If I see a large group of people with their guns out, i think it is acceptable for me to avoid them. However, if they spotted me I would take my chances with talking to them as i had learned in the past, running only delays the initiation.

But, if a group appears completely friendly, with their guns holstered, i don't think it is acceptable to run away/avoid them unless you are 100% certain you know who they are, and that they are a hostile group.

Hagger    117

I have often "de ass'd" myself several times after I've seen a big group of people approaching.

Yesterday I saw maybe 5 or 6 people running in a field near VMC. After spying on them with binoculars one of them turned towards me, looked me trough a scope, said something to others and all of them turned towards me. Now this is the situation where I decide to run away. I have no idea who these people are, what they want and I can guarantee that they are not happy about people spying on them with binoculars.

IRL or IC, I would have ran.

Zero    466

I think people need to stop with the entire OOC reasoning for initiating. Sprinting away is a stupid reason to initiate on someone, and IS influenced OOCly. Guys, I want to point out something to you.

It's.

The.

Apocalypse.

Do I really need to say it more? Go watch The Walking Dead for christ sakes, Rick holds up anyone that walks towards him/shows up/sneaks up on him. And we all have seen what happens when you're COMPLETELY friendly in that show. Red Poncho Guy anyone? I wish everyone would stop role-playing as if everything is puppies and rainbows. You shouldn't be walking up to strangers and saying "Hello, how are you", and then offering casual conversation/a free can of beanz.

I mean, for Gods sake, PEOPLE ARE EATING PEOPLE, SOME ARE ENSLAVING OTHERS. Just because the rules provide you with a safe bubble, doesn't mean you should role-play as if its a safe bubble. It sort of seems that the players here enjoy having their hand held. It's fine if you act more relaxed whilst in a "safe-zone" (like your camp, base, etc).

But outside those walls? Nope. Nada. Stop it. 95%-99% of the ENITRE worlds population.. is.. Wait for it.. 

DEAD! 

AND THAT'S HOW WE SHOULD BE ROLE-PLAYING.

You can trust the Regulators man will help you whenever we can. Unfortunately you never know its us as there are so many people trying to kill us we have to hide.

I scout before I engage in rp or make sure I have the upper hand in case the guy or guys aren't so friendly.

Boston    787

Yes, I think that it shouldn't be considered avoiding RP if you have a large group of people with guns sprinting at you.

Take my character for example: I have heard of the Masquerade ICly, heard of what they do, and know where they are likely to be found. If I travel to that location and see a large group of people running at me with fully automatic weapons, what am I going to think? Masquerade.

I think that as long as you have an IC reason to try to get away, than you should.

I think that this topic also brings up the difference between what would happen in real life vs. what would happen in an RP community. In real life, you can bet that I'd run and hide, or if I had a sniper rifle, I'd start taking them out. But then this is an RP community, and you're required to RP, and you can't KoS... so it's a difficult topic to take a side in.

Long story short, if you've heard of a certain group that does certain things in a certain location, and you want to run away, fine by me. It really should be allowed to a certain extent.

I don't run myself, but I can see why someone would do it. If I was roleplaying a more scared kinda guy I wouldn't run, but rather sneak around and what not. It's fine to run away IMO, just don't let it get to that point where the people you are running from are in VOIP range and have been trying to talk to you for the past 5 or more minutes and all they are getting is you keeping on running.

Ryssen    21

I guess this is just a throw-back to the "long old discussion" of realism vs RP. Sure, you can argue that in a realistic situation you would run from a large crowd of people, but when you are throwing the realism argument you can argue that if it was a realistic situation these people could just straight up shoot you. This is an RP community after all, and we have rules implemented to further RP so for me running away can be seen as avoiding RP.

Now, I am not saying you should greet everyone you meet. If I'm on my own and I find a large group that is yet to see me, I will most times try to stay away/find out who they are before making contact. However, if I am spotted and they try to make contact I will talk to them.

Zero    466

I guess this is just a throw-back to the "long old discussion" of realism vs RP. Sure, you can argue that in a realistic situation you would run from a large crowd of people, but when you are throwing the realism argument you can argue that if it was a realistic situation these people could just straight up shoot you. This is an RP community after all, and we have rules implemented to further RP so for me running away can be seen as avoiding RP.

Now, I am not saying you should greet everyone you meet. If I'm on my own and I find a large group that is yet to see me, I will most times try to stay away/find out who they are before making contact. However, if I am spotted and they try to make contact I will talk to them.

But.. Why can't we just, I don't know.. Role-play in a realistic fashion whilst also staying within the parameters of the rules?.. There's a medium that can be used, not the extreme rule-less fashion, or the hand holding safe bubble community fashion. I know that seems like blasphemy and extreme to some, but what do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ryssen    21

But.. Why can't we just, I don't know.. Role-play in a realistic fashion whilst also staying within the parameters of the rules?.. There's a medium that can be used, not the extreme rule-less fashion, or the hand holding safe bubble community fashion. I know that seems like blasphemy and extreme to some, but what do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not arguing that it should not be realistic, and I agree that you need find a middle-ground. I myself like to play in the greyzone sometimes, but I feel like running away is one of those things that mostly just hinders RP and create OOC annoyance. Like Simontsar stated earlier:

It's fine to run away IMO, just don't let it get to that point where the people you are running from are in VOIP range and have been trying to talk to you for the past 5 or more minutes and all they are getting is you keeping on running.

Because sure, if you are far away and they spot you, I could see a reason for running away but I find that in some cases people just run away when you are incredibly close and try to argue realism, but all it does then is create annoyance imo.

Zero    466

-snip-

-snip-

I'm not arguing that it should not be realistic, and I agree that you need find a middle-ground. I myself like to play in the greyzone sometimes, but I feel like running away is one of those things that mostly just hinders RP and create OOC annoyance. Like Simontsar stated earlier:

It's fine to run away IMO, just don't let it get to that point where the people you are running from are in VOIP range and have been trying to talk to you for the past 5 or more minutes and all they are getting is you keeping on running.

Because sure, if you are far away and they spot you, I could see a reason for running away but I find that in some cases people just run away when you are incredibly close and try to argue realism, but all it does then is create annoyance imo.

Yes, but then those who are annoyed OOCly should be punished, everything is suppose to be done IC, and allowing an annoyance from an OOC standpoint has gotten people PERMA-BANNED before. *Cough, cough* OOC hate *cough, cough*. It is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE that someone allows their character to ACT ON OCC THOUGHTS. 

I've had people run away from me before and think from my standpoint "Wow, that is really annoying", then I think IC "Well, I understand why he is doing that, the entire country is filled with cannibal clowns, slavers, and other unwanted human scum."

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

I've had people run away from me before and think from my standpoint "Wow, that is really annoying", then I think IC "Well, I understand why he is doing that, the entire country is filled with cannibal clowns, slavers, and other unwanted human scum."

This pretty much sums up peoples behaviour when it comes to running away.

Arguably you are failing to value your characters life by running up to every group you come across to say hello, especially if they are known to be hostile.

Ill usually tend to not cower from any RP regardless of a group or any amount of people. It does not seem fair for the people that are trying to go out of their way to rp and then someone just leaves/ runs away. That is just me anyway but yeah if we are being hunted/shot at ill stay :D

Defiance    96

I act realistically. If I'm with my group, I'll approach. If I'm alone, I'll run and hide. If I'm called out to, I usually will respond unless I feel I have a VERY reasonable chance of escaping and that my life is in danger.

The last large group that I encountered alone was Zbor, and they snuck up on me. Running in that situation would have been avoidingRP.

Ryssen    21

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

Yes, but then those who are annoyed OOCly should be punished, everything is suppose to be done IC, and allowing an annoyance from an OOC standpoint has gotten people PERMA-BANNED before. *Cough, cough* OOC hate *cough, cough*. It is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE that someone allows their character to ACT ON OCC THOUGHTS. 

Well, I'm not arguing for that you should always initiate on everyone who runs away because you are annoyed. However what I am arguing for is that I think it's BADRP. For some characters, mine for example, it would make sense to initiate on someone running off but that don't mean I always initiate. 

To reiterate what I said before, sometimes I kind understand it and accept it, e.g. when the person is pretty far away, but I do think it is not okay for someone to just run off when you meet him/her, and then when you ask them to stop they do not. 

Hatch    0

I see no problem with one/two people running away from a larger group that clearly outnumbers them.

What I do see a problem with is when people back away in silence after contact is made, it's awkward and looks terrible. Then it is clear that they have no intention to RP.

Zero    466

-snip-

Well, I'm not arguing for that you should always initiate on everyone who runs away because you are annoyed. However what I am arguing for is that I think it's BADRP. For some characters, mine for example, it would make sense to initiate on someone running off but that don't mean I always initiate. 

To reiterate what I said before, sometimes I kind understand it and accept it, e.g. when the person is pretty far away, but I do think it is not okay for someone to just run off when you meet him/her, and then when you ask them to stop they do not. 

That's a completely different story, I think if someone actually sees you and you are within talking distance and you say "Hey!" and then they run off, well, yes, that is bad RP, and people shouldn't do that.

I'd stand my ground and meet the large group and hope for the best in character. I role play as a doctor and hopefully most people see me as useful and rather keep me alive.

Oliv    1890

Honestly, I've been on both sides of this on the same character before. I've been in a 20 deep crew and had people walk down a street, spot us, turn around and just walk the other way. Can I blame them? Hell no.

I remember once walking up to Vybor, seeing like 20 Chedaki running around, and just watching through binos. Another person walked up and told me who it was, and I just decided I could wait for that drink of water.

Now, I've also solo approached big groups, who I later find out are groups you shouldn't really approach, and it's led to some great future RP and Enzo being as well liked by so many people as he is.

My point, do what feels natural at the time.