Server time: 2017-10-17, 11:37
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Leucifer

Blue Screen of Death. :c

Question

Leucifer    5

Every time I play DayZ, my computer decides to show the typical blue screen of death. Now, this is the ONLY game that this has EVER happened to. It doesn't crash when I play any other game. League of Legends, CS:GO, Hearthstone, Arma 3, Arma 2, etc. It gives me the system_thread_exception_not_handled with no file name after it. Any ideas? Asriel told me it might be overheating, but this has never happened to me before. Send HAAAALP. D:

25 answers to this question

Deegan    162

Did you verify your files?

Skeetsi    0

Google and download bluescreenviewer. It'll show you a code which you can google and see what caused the BSoD. Whether it's related to drivers or hardware, you'll be able to figure that out with that tool.

iparodyall    15

Try updating the drivers for your graphics card, and make sure its supported.

Deegan    162

Hope it works for you.

Asriel    0

He's already tried: verifying game cache, reinstalling/updating drivers, checking temperatures of the laptop. It seems to run a little hot, however it only gets to about 80 degrees celsius according to Leucifer. It used to give him nvlddmkm.sys as the problem file on BSOD, which is linked to Nvidia drivers, however after fiddling with that the PC still BSOD's, this time with no message relating to nvlddmkm.

Hopefully some of the people in the thread can help, but if not your best bet will be to bring it to a tech support/pc shop as they will be able to get hands on with the PC and actually fix it as it is very hard to diagnose problems over forums/ts.

Deegan    162

Your PC is overheating, because I've been looking everywhere. and that is what they say. Trying putting a fan by your system or something. or just relog every once and awhile just to let it cool off.

Asriel    0

Your PC is overheating, because I've been looking everywhere. and that is what they say. Trying putting a fan by your system or something. or just relog every once and awhile just to let it cool off.

Generally with PC's there can be multiple different problems that cause the same issue. While I agree overheating is the likely cause, he says his PC stays around 80 degrees while playing DayZ which , while hot, shouldn't cause a BSOD. With the i5 performance gets throttled at about 80ish degrees if I remember correctly, however you can "safely" run it until you reach 100ish degrees, where the CPU will begin to shut down. 

Leucifer, considering after I told you to check temperatures and use a fan you were able to run the game for much longer I'm pretty inclined to believe this is an overheating issue.

Deegan    162

Generally with PC's there can be multiple different problems that cause the same issue. While I agree overheating is the likely cause, he says his PC stays around 80 degrees while playing DayZ which , while hot, shouldn't cause a BSOD. With the i5 performance gets throttled at about 80ish degrees if I remember correctly, however you can "safely" run it until you reach 100ish degrees, where the CPU will begin to shut down. 

Leucifer, considering after I told you to check temperatures and use a fan you were able to run the game for much longer I'm pretty inclined to believe this is an overheating issue.

Yeah agreed :)

Guest TCGBuNiTy   
Guest TCGBuNiTy

If you need further help with this, I do this kind of stuff for a living. PC Repair, Optimization, Troubleshooting, Custom builds, Software Development, and Virus Removal. It sounds like a problem with your Graphics card, it may be overclocked inproperly or it may be putting out too much mHz in the power section. Also may simply be a Driver problem. Or it could be your HDD. There's a range of possibilities, so if you need further help please feel free to message me.

Ron    809

Use a software to measure the temp while you run the game, to find out if it actually is an overheating problem.

For example something like this.

Hatch    0

If you've overclocked your GPU/CPU then reduce the voltage or reset it to default. I used to have this and when I took the overclock off I've never blue screened again.

Rory    1557

You can also try running your DNS on a public DNS if you haven't tried that yet. I had the same problem on a couple of different games in the past, Changed my DNS to public & got it to work afterall.

Bunny    356

Leucifer, please provide us with an update, or let us know if the issue has been solved.

Defiance    96

Every time I play DayZ, my computer decides to show the typical blue screen of death. Now, this is the ONLY game that this has EVER happened to. It doesn't crash when I play any other game. League of Legends, CS:GO, Hearthstone, Arma 3, Arma 2, etc. It gives me the system_thread_exception_not_handled with no file name after it. Any ideas? Asriel told me it might be overheating, but this has never happened to me before. Send HAAAALP. D:

Hi Leucifer,

Since it's been several days since your last response, I'm going to go ahead and mark this as /solved.

If your issue hasn't been resolved, then let us know and I will change the status of this thread back to unsolved until we can fix your issue. 

Please feel free to let us know if we can help you further. Plenty of people have offered to help in this thread, so feel free to PM one of them, reply to this thread, or PM one of our Community Helpers. 

Good luck!

Leucifer    5

Instead of my computer blue screening, it decides to just freeze and never unfreeze. :D

Ugh, it's getting annoying as fuck. Any suggestions? Computer isn't overheating or anything, I solved that. Any ideas?

Asriel    0

Instead of my computer blue screening, it decides to just freeze and never unfreeze. :D

Ugh, it's getting annoying as fuck. Any suggestions? Computer isn't overheating or anything, I solved that. Any ideas?

Are you running windows 10?

Currently there is a known issue with windows 10 where it will just freeze completely, and force you to reboot. A quick google search shows numerous threads about this issue (which I used to have, but disabling Link Power Management fixed it).

Unfortunately, there is no real answer about it yet. So the best option I can give you is to just bring your PC to a tech support IRL, they will be able to get hands on with the PC and try and fix it. 

However, before you do that (and if you're using windows 10), go to: Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > PCI Express > Link State Power Management. By default windows 10 has this at medium or high (can't remember which), you should set this to off and see if it fixes your problems.

Otherwise, you're going to need to visit a tech support center, it's much easier to troubleshoot in person as they will be able to go through every possible outcome, whether it is updating BIOS, doing dskchk and all sorts. The amount of assistance we can give is limited over the internet.

Chow    45

Hi

Do you have any lock thread Game start codes for dayz?

If you have them, get rid of them. If you dont have them, get them.

Amd cpus:

-Dual Core: -cpuCount=2, -exThreads=1

-Quad Core: -cpuCount=4, -exThreads=3

-Six Cores: -cpuCount=4, -exThreads=5

-Eight Cores: -cpuCount=4, -exThreads=7

Intel cpus:

-Dual Core: -cpuCount=2, -exThreads=1

-Dual Core with 4 threads: -cpuCount=2, -exThreads=3

-Quad Core: -cpuCount=4, -exThreads=3

-Quad Core with 8 threads: -cpuCount=4, -exThreads=7

-maxMem=# (1024, 2048, 4096 and so on.)

BigRig    20

This sounds like an issue I had a couple weeks ago.

An update on what hardware you have may be a bit of help to anyone reading this.

Did this happen after a windows update was installed?

My issue was my PC was Freezing and locking solid 60 seconds after startup directly after a Windows update. ( I run Win 8 and I have an AMD Gfx card BTW )

Don't attempt messing around with your startup programs if your not comfortable with this.

What I did was:

Click Startup in safe-mode >

Run >

type " msconfig.exe " >

Click startup >

click Open Task Manager >

After the Task manager popped up i disabled all my GFX drivers from booting the next time I startup. It didn't freeze. So i Rebooted in Safe-mode and re-enabled the "Catalyst Control Center" and rebooted.. low and behold my PC froze and I found what program was causing the issue. after Reinstalling the program it still locked up so I rebooted into Safe-mode and Disabled Catalyst Control Center.

I haven't had any issues since.

Issues    0

-snip-

Leucifer, it's been a while since you've last posted. Has the issue been resolved or do you have any updates?

Issues    0

Seeing as you haven't responded to this in five days, we are going to /solve this. If the issue has not been resolved yet, feel free to let us know and we will open it back up.

Thank you.

Leucifer    5

Seeing as you haven't responded to this in five days, we are going to /solve this. If the issue has not been resolved yet, feel free to let us know and we will open it back up.

Thank you.

It actually has been solved, thanks to Asriel. I just have been busy with real life stuff such as work and relationships and things. But thank you!

Issues    0

Thank you.

It actually has been solved, thanks to Asriel. I just have been busy with real life stuff such as work and relationships and things. But thank you!

Glad we could help. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :D

Breadman    11

could try getting a few desk fans and then aiming them at your pc

10 / 10 cooling diy