Server time: 2017-08-20, 08:15

Sign in to follow this  
Finn

Guide: Playing as a hunter

Finn    76

Hunting is a sport/activity which is sometimes crucial to survival.

Hunting is a very time-consuming activity and you will most often give up your search for animals, but the best way of going with it is purely travelling. Animals are most often found in the southern portion of Chernarus, and stick to forests and fields. Many different types of hunting are more effective with different loadouts for example, when you don't have time to be accurate it is recommended to use a shotgun, this works when you are hunting rabbits, fox and chickens which are small targets. On the other hand, if you are hunting from long range and you are not spotted you may want to use a rifle, ensuring you have the right zeroing as well, missing will allow the animal to get startled and run off.

If you are looking for an Immersive hunting loadout I would choose:

Crossbow w/ Holo-sight or Pistol scope

Hunting jacket, of preferred pattern

Hunting pants, of preferred pattern

Hunting pack w/ Spare collapsed trumpet

(With spare hunting scope)

+ a flare gun (in rescue situations, if you are about to be captured etc.)

important if you cannot defend yourself with that crossbow.

This loadout will allow you to remain silent while hunting, both avoiding

you from startling animals and attracting attention from other survivors.

Using every part of the animal:

Every part of the animal you gather can be used for different applications.

Bones: These can be used for Making bone arrows when you add them to improvised arrows,

when the bones are sharpened they can be used to make improvised fishing hooks.

Chicken feathers: These can be added to sharpened sticks to make them more effective.

Pelts: it is obvious what pelts are for, these are used to create pelts,

pelts can be tanned and created into useful clothing and items.

Animal guts: There are even a use for the guts, they can be used in place of rope in creating an improvised bow.

They are also able to be used as a heat-pack without deteriorating.

If you have guts in your inventory, expect to be bugged about it when you are taken hostage/captured.

More additions to come, Happy Hunting!

Great guide, but every time I ran across a crossbow and thought of picking it up, I was worried that it might be too weak at range. Seeing as you play with one, does it do the job with big game like deer and cows at 200 yards+ ?

LockOn    3

First catch people :D, been hunting there for quite some time and I'm jet to be caught. Tho i might have jinxed it :/

Finn    76

You missed the most important rule of hunting; don't hunt in The Wolves territory without permission or you get tortured :D

Almost got caught, felt suspicious.. not sure if you guys were following me. But don't ask if someone was hunting in your territory cause that usually gives you guys away.. of course they'll say no haha.

Hamakaze    12

You missed the most important rule of hunting; don't hunt in The Wolves territory without permission or you get tortured :D

I will poach all your animals....

:troll:

P.S The Animals I killed the other day to feed me and my friend was delicious

Spartan    1017

Almost got caught, felt suspicious.. not sure if you guys were following me. But don't ask if someone was hunting in your territory cause that usually gives you guys away.. of course they'll say no haha.

IC we werent sure if it was you (the guy of the radio)so we werent sure to take you.

OOC we knew it in pusthoska already ;)

Great guide, but every time I ran across a crossbow and thought of picking it up, I was worried that it might be too weak at range. Seeing as you play with one, does it do the job with big game like deer and cows at 200 yards+ ?

I've used the crossbow for months and think that it's still pretty good at range. You can use the Holosight to tell you where to aim to counter the drop as well which helps. Only downside is that it takes two bolts to take down a cow so you have to be persistent with chasing it

Lone Wolf loadout:

Winchester 70 + Scope for hunting;

Pistol (Recommended Glock 19 + Suppresor) for clearing cities when in need of supplies;

Hunting Jacket (Brown/Green) to conceal yourself style;

Basically, any pants that have a camouflage/green/kakhi-ish color;

Improvised Backpack, or Improvised Leather Backpack;

Green High Capacity Vest (Recomended) to store the rest of your stuff.

I've been rolling this character for so many time, and trading meat for ammo for so long, that I don't even remember when I started. It's more than 2 months, and he didn't even suffer to find the animals, since it's pretty easy to locate them if you roam a lot.

Great guide. My next character I planned on being a hunter so this will come in handy!

On the hunt, it is more important for you to use a high caliber weapon in my opinion. Aim for the heart and put a good 7.62 or .308 through a buck. If you plan on taking down a buck or boar, you don't want to use bullets like 5.56 it'll take too many hits to take down an animal. Crossbows are good weapons because it cuts straight through and preserve as much of the meat as possible but it takes too long for the animal to bleed out and it's not worth it. Especially if you're squirmish about following an animal that is bleeding out. This is of course for realism wise.

Personally for a huntsmen load out, I'll carry a Winchester, a 7.62x67 or .308 as its more commonly called will be ideal, I say for realistic wise use nothing smaller than a .243 which is bigger than a .223 or 5.56. I think the 7.62x51 ammunition will be a good substitute but i personally like something with more kick. In hunting, it's all about the heart shot unless you're a skilled sniper. So you want something that can put that buck down, 1 shot 1 kill. In real life, it's all about putting one bullet through a buck, and then following it till it either dies or bleed out. More shots mean more meat being damaged.

zoyo    65

I like this guide. I haven't played as a hunter before, but If I ever do, I'll remember this. :)

Doc    3

Excellent guide! Maybe you can improve it by adding some pictures and a map of animal spawns or locations?

Edyhynot    50

My Alt Character Zak Knox is a hunter i use a olive m56 jacket olive cap Beige cago pants with a plate carrier i find using beige and green helps blend you a little better just my opinion ive got a green coloured blaze with hunting scope and improvised backpack a range finder (i think its bugged though says everything is 6 meters away lol) i only hunt for survival and also my next aim is to contact the wolves as dont want to step on any toes lol

Tyler63    0

thanks for the guide, im playing a hunter now and i feel my sporter decked out isnt primitive enough, im considering making an improvised bow and keeping a trumpet disassembled in my backpack like you said

Castiel    1124

Thanks for the guide, Finn. I'll be sure to make use of it for my current character.

Very accurate guide! Covers everything that should be covered. Totally getting a hold on one of those flare guns now though.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this