Server time: 2017-08-16, 15:21

Sign in to follow this  
Marcunt

Too many crazies (?)

Marcunt    218

I have noticed that there are tons of people with some sort of mental issues, whatever it may be. Now, I understand that it might be fun roleplaying a crazy person, or perhaps a cannibal, but it seems a bit strange that such a big portion of the survivors are mentally ill in some way or another. Ofcourse, it can be pretty difficult coming up with a normal survivor-role character that isn't as boring as a modern art museum, but making him/her into a generic nutcase sure isn't the only way to avoid that.

Please try to find out if your kind of character has already been done before and how common it is. It will make the roleplaying experience so much more interesting, as well as making the actual crazies a whole lot more terrifying if you haven't already seen a 100 of them. But I'm not telling anyone to absolutely not play as said characters, I'm just saying that there may be too many at this moment in time.

Feel free to add your own opinion on this, maybe I'm wrong and it's a lot more fun the way it is! :)

Not sure where this thread is going

These type of threads have been made many times and regardless people will still play what they feel like

Marcunt    218

These type of threads have been made many times and regardless people will still play what they feel like

Indeed, people should play what they enjoy, however I find it a bit unrealistic that so many of the lucky survivors are in fact crazies. But like I said, I might be wrong.

Indeed, people should play what they enjoy, however I find it a bit unrealistic that so many of the lucky survivors are in fact crazies. But like I said, I might be wrong.

Not saying you're wrong, there is a large amount of crazy characters in DayZRP. However there has been many threads on this in the past

Keira    985

Given what is happening and the fact that society is failing and the world is dying, who wouldn't have some sort of mental illness? The majority of the world TODAY suffers from some sort of mental illness.

Mercy    482

You say this is unrealistic but it really isn't. There are billions of people in the world meaning billions would either be dead or affected differently in a mental situation. Whether you like it or not, you can't force someone to not play a mental character. If there wasn't a crazy person in the server and everyone was normal it would be a normal Arma 3 server, just a civilisation. This is about survival in a zombie apocalypse meaning you're going to get a lot of craziness. It's peoples freedom of choice to play their own creation: sadly you're going to have to deal with it.

Marcunt    218

Given what is happening and the fact that society is failing and the world is dying, who wouldn't have some sort of mental illness? The majority of the world TODAY suffers from some sort of mental illness.

Fair point and I agree to a certain extent. It's just that there are so many that are completely bonkers in their heads, you know? Then again, lack of empathy, morals etc. might help one out in a world like that!

Pretty much this. I suppose it just depends on how it is played out. Some people went from zero to hundred in a day, others slowly decayed into craziness out of various reasons. And given the time of the apocalypse we currently play in a lot of this progression has happened already. Hell, even I play a character that was and still mostly is a regular minded person, but he has had his changes, quirks and partial minor "craziness".

I understand your point but I don't think it's an issue. I personally meet more "regular" people than crazies, though.

Stradic    252

+1 

This far into the apocalypse, it's only natural people would be suffering from some type of mental/psychological illness from what they have experienced.

People are free to play whatever they desire, whatever they are enjoying. Some players put a great deal of work into their character's story. I do not mind if someone plays as crazy, ill, or even a cannibal as long as it is played out tastefully and realistically. I feel there are stereotypes and cliches that often surface, but those alone don't define a player. I feel some go a bit above and beyond with gravely voices and masks to portray crazy, but to me that is not really crazy. All I look for really is reasoning behind a personality.

gherig    3

I do agree there are a lot of crazies but I don't think there is a way to stop people from using the type of character

zoyo    64

Honestly in a world being slowly destroyed by an ever growing swarm of undead can you expect anyone to keep it togeather completely? I'm not saying everyone should go completely insane, but I doubt many people would be able to keep it together if the infection really happened.

Marcunt    218

I feel like a lot of people understood my little rant as me trying to bash others for playing what they want. Ofcourse, they shall play as what/who ever they want, I just found what I mentioned in my post a little bothering at first. All your points have changed my mind a little, though. Perhaps I was being a little naive :)

I have noticed that there are tons of people with some sort of mental issues, whatever it may be. Now, I understand that it might be fun roleplaying a crazy person, or perhaps a cannibal, but it seems a bit strange that such a big portion of the survivors are mentally ill in some way or another. Ofcourse, it can be pretty difficult coming up with a normal survivor-role character that isn't as boring as a modern art museum, but making him/her into a generic nutcase sure isn't the only way to avoid that.

Please try to find out if your kind of character has already been done before and how common it is. It will make the roleplaying experience so much more interesting, as well as making the actual crazies a whole lot more terrifying if you haven't already seen a 100 of them. But I'm not telling anyone to absolutely not play as said characters, I'm just saying that there may be too many at this moment in time.

Feel free to add your own opinion on this, maybe I'm wrong and it's a lot more fun the way it is! :)

Think about a zombie apocalypse. When you kill a man or one of the infected it is going to effect you psychologically. Therefore the longer you survive and the tough decisions you make, whether it be killing a man or robbing someone etc, It is going to make you alittle off. If not full blown insane. It is also in a 3rd world country and depending on the back story people may have already been quite close to psychosis and this has pushed them to the brink. To me it makes sense that people are going nuts. But like i said.. killing one man will effect someone immensely psychologically and will definatly push you to psychosis the more and more you kill.

Marcunt    218

Think about a zombie apocalypse. When you kill a man or one of the infected it is going to effect you psychologically. Therefore the longer you survive and the tough decisions you make, whether it be killing a man or robbing someone etc, It is going to make you alittle off. If not full blown insane. It is also in a 3rd world country and depending on the back story people may have already been quite close to psychosis and this has pushed them to the brink. To me it makes sense that people are going nuts. But like i said.. killing one man will effect someone immensely psychologically and will definatly push you to psychosis the more and more you kill.

Very true. But the amount of generic psychos out there are still a little over the top in my opinion. When I meet a unique and well-rounded, mentally unstable person IC I do generally get very interested. I wish I could meet more like that! It is truly an amazing experience, especially if you get captured by one that is so creative and fantastically played out.

Zero    276

I've only actually met one group that managed to role-play crazy well, which was The Family, and I've only met perhaps one lone crazy person that had good role-play. Although I'm all for letting people play what they want, I wish they would actually come up with believable stories as to why they are the way they are.

Crazy RP is like bandit RP, you have to have a lot of experience in RP and execute it well for me to like it, if you don't you just end up being among one of the many white-names with slashes through their names.

People are free to play whatever they desire, whatever they are enjoying.  Some players put a great deal of work into their character's story.  I do not mind if someone plays as crazy, ill, or even a cannibal as long as it is played out tastefully and realistically.  I feel there are stereotypes and cliches that often surface, but those alone don't define a player.   I feel some go a bit above and beyond with gravely voices and masks to portray crazy, but to me that is not really crazy.  All I look for really is reasoning behind a personality.

Honestly couldn't have said it better myself. It's all about the reasoning and the background things that give away someone's craziness. People can do the 'throat cancer' voice and wear masks all they want, but that's not really crazy. The crazies are the ones that leave you pondering what really is going on in their mind.

Press    1

There are billions of people in the world meaning billions would either be dead or affected differently in a mental situation. Whether you like it or not, you can't force someone to not play a mental character.

There is nothing in the lore which states that the quarantine has failed worldwide. As far as the lore we're working with is concerned, there is some question as to how effective the quaratine has been, but there is nothing to suggest that the infection has spread beyond Chernarus and the surrounding area, including Takistan and possibly several other states. If I'm not mistaken, the Russians to the north are still holding the line.

And I think what the OP is getting at is that crazy people wouldn't last long in this sort of collapse. If you've lost your mind, yes, it's entirely possible, but you don't make for a very convincing "survivalist". Surviving for years in this environment really would require a semblance of sanity, planning and personal control. At least, that's what I got from it. The crazies would be long dead, probably form craziness-related craziness.

Finn    76

I honestly find it more entertaining to play as a character with weaknesses, my character, for example cannot kill a human being, otherwise he'll have a mental breakdown. My character is more of a peacemonger, helping those who need ammunition, food, water, directions. My characters main weaknesses are conflict, large groups and he hates noise in excess.

-snip-

There is nothing in the lore which states that the quarantine has failed worldwide. As far as the lore we're working with is concerned, there is some question as to how effective the quaratine has been, but there is nothing to suggest that the infection has spread beyond Chernarus and the surrounding area, including Takistan and possibly several other states. If I'm not mistaken, the Russians to the north are still holding the line.

And I think what the OP is getting at is that crazy people wouldn't last long in this sort of collapse. If you've lost your mind, yes, it's entirely possible, but you don't make for a very convincing "survivalist". Surviving for years in this environment really would require a semblance of sanity, planning and personal control. At least, that's what I got from it. The crazies would be long dead, probably form craziness-related craziness.

I'm afraid you're actually wrong here. If you check the radio broadcasts in the lore section you can see that pretty much the whole world is fucked. The quarantine failed with nearly all countries being affected. America and Russia and other large countries nuked themselves to try and wipe out the large zombie hordes, and I think the only country that was relatively unaffected was Iceland. Obviously once other countries realised the quarantine failed they abandoned it, so it's very easy to trek into Russia from South Zagoria.

However, the last broadcast was about 1 year ago so the situation is likely a lot worse now. I think it's fair to say that there are very few people left in the wold and humanity is facing its final hours...

So if you die, you are placing an endangered species at risk. Shame on you!

So many threads complaining about this before you put this up. People will play what they want and thats fine. Nothing to do about it. I fail to even see why this thread is a thing.

Honestly, OP i agree with you.

There's way to many generic crazy and cannibal people. If playing a character that's a bit crazy, sure, fair enough.

However, the amount of people that RP as cannibals, who cannot pull it off, that's just over the top.

I do seriously doubt, that even an apocalypse would turn the world inside and out that much for an average British / American(sorry, most stereotypical cannibal's I've met in game is British or American) that they would turn into cannibalism. Cannibalism is something that is highly frowned upon, and deep within the human mind to NOT do. Exceptions being 1) Extremely sick people, which by the way, i do doubt that realistically so many of them would end up in a tiny state in eastern europe, or 2) is on drugs.

All in all, please, people, if you can't pull off a a good 'crazy' portrait, then don't do it. It's really not entertaining. Same with cannibals. Not entertaining, what's so ever. Unless done right.

If i would record when playing, i would honestly report 85% of the cannibals / crazy roleplayers for bad rp.

Being crazy does not mean you sprint around and get in people's faces and start crab walking all over the place.

Maybe if there would have been a gigantic mental hospital in South Zagoria where all other nations sent their crazy people, yeah, maybe that'd make sense. As of now, the "crazy" characters would have been stopped in the customs at the airport.

And to the statement that a majority of the worlds people suffer from a mental illness, there is a HUGE difference between suffering from a mental illness and crab walking around and getting in peoples faces, or running around doing something that's not explainable, which can be seen here.

Also, among mental illnesses you can count depression, burnt out, and other common "disorders". But these are not being crazy.

/end rant.

Corry    205

If the RP they provide is good and not trolly then i have no problem with people playing crazy characters, it just has to be done right where they enjoy it annd the people they meet enjoy it

Hamakaze    12

I would say that given whats happened to the world the level of mental illnesses would be off the charts... Just think about the amount of PTSD sufferers there are as a result of seeing their friends torn limb from limb? Just think about the people who may have been on meds to control their conditions before the outbreak but but have been cut off from their supply and have gone untreated.