Server time: 2017-10-23, 04:22
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
GaryCash

"Post Firefight OOC Channel" In Team Speak

GaryCash    33

"Post Firefight OOC Channel" In Team Speak

Hey I was wondering if a designated channel like this could be good for the community.  

For people who are either already dead from the fire fight, or whose combat log timer has already expired, this channel would be for them to go to potentially find people from their last hostile RP confrontation.  And it works for circumstances where the other person is looking to speak with as well mutually.

The idea first came to mind for me last night in part because I was actually able to talk in TS with three of the people who had just robbed me after one of them hopped into my channel and then asked me to hop down and join them.  We were all having a great time talking and laughing about the experience discussing how awesome the RP had been from everyone and how amazingly crazy of a situation it was.

Likewise this channel could help people find the player that they just had an awesome RP interaction with and thank them or commend them on it.

Or it could be used if both parties were feeling weird about how the last fire fight went down and would like to discuss the rules and their applications in the last scenario.

Ultimately I feel like this is a tool that can help build OOC community bonding potentially as it serves as a way of uniting people again OOC after their bouts in game IC, or they can compliment and critique each other (if they want to be critiqued that is.)  Or they can discuss why they think something wen't poorly in game and should in the future no longer go this way.

I can understand arguments against having a channel like this...  That things might get out of hand as some peoples tempers may flare.  But I think as a mature role playing community that people would be able to use this channel constructively instead of destructively.

I feel like the potential benefits way out weigh the risks of something like this.

Pros:

-  I think theres a potential for it to be community building, helping people get to know one another better OOC, which can lead to even better future RP IC

-  It serves as a place for people to go if they would want to critique or be critiqued on their hostile role-play, (Or roleplay of being robbed, initiated on, or threatened with hostile RP)

- It serves as a means to compliment some one who's role-play you admired who may have been on the opposite party

- It serves as an avenue of learning to better understand the rules and learn from your mistakes (This aspect in particular for the new players who are still trying to get a hang of everything in game and maybe nervous / clumsy with the rules when they first start.)

-  Could potentially lead to the civil end behind a lot a disputes without things having to go to the report section  -  Disclaimer:  It could also maybe lead to some disputes, but not likely ones that wouldn't have already come up without the channel.  ---- And to this end maybe you shouldn't be allowed to use the channel if you don't think you can be level headed and have a constructive conversation with the other side.   

If this is the case and your issues can't be sorted out through mediation post incident, or one party is not willing to talk about them with the other party, then you are always welcome take your problems over to the report section to have them sorted out and use that invaluable and powerful resource that is the report section that is within our community

- Also building on the same point, no one is forced to ever use this channel ever, so its a mutual agreement between both parties going in that they would like to talk and discuss what had happened.

- The ability for players to more easily access other players that they are looking for can cut down on some reports that wouldn't be there likely except for the fact that the player wanted to figure out who the other player was so they requested the hit logs.  (Not saying that needless reports are common or even a thing ((I'm not sure whats the case here)), but if they are, this could help with it I would imagine.)

----

Another Con:

I also understand the fact that the report section and its activity is important because it helps us remove the players who will never learn and or / do not care to ever learn rules.  And our reporting system combine with the amazingly diligent staff who run it, work hard (successfully) to keep our server integrity high at the amazing levels the DayZRP servers manage to maintain.  But I think the people who really don't belong here will find there way out of the community regardless of whether or not this chat channel is in place 'eventually;' if not immediately in cases where their actions are abhorrent.  

I think that the having to wait for 'eventually,' for the chronic rule breaker to be kicked would be worth though if during the same 'eventually,' time period we had one or more role players who were able to learn from their mistakes and flourish one day down the line in the future into fantastic RPer's

----

But though we talk about handling rule breaks with this Teamspeak channel, that is just merely one facet of the channel, and I think it offers a great way for people to get to know the other players OOC as well and bring the whole community closer together.

Anyway these are my opinions, and I could be wrong, and this might be the most awful pandoras box of ideas.

But I genuinely believe that it will cause more good than it will cause harm.  I'm very curious as to what other people's take on this idea may be. 

Wall of text, sorry I was trying to condense my thoughts as much as I could.  Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

TL  ;  DR  : 

-  Channel for people to find other people after their firefights with each other on team speak to promote OOC, friendships, communication and sense of community

EDIT:  This can be used for instances beyond fire fights, really for any sort of hostile RP, thats just what I titled the post as

Hmm...like the idea. Would definitely love to see it implemented, and would lead to some really cool OOC interaction -as you stated. So thats a +1 from me m8

Hatch    0

No, simply because people will be able to meta that channel and see how many enemies they have killed/are left.

Issues    0

Most of the time, you know their IC name if you're fighting them. One thing you can do is use the 'Player Search' option in the forums and type their IC name. It will bring up their forum profile and you can find them in TeamSpeak using that name.

I've never had a problem with finding people after a firefight and to be honest I don't think it's too good of an idea. That's just my opinion though.

GaryCash    33

No, simply because people will be able to meta that channel and see how many enemies they have killed/are left.

Most of the time, you know their IC name if you're fighting them. One thing you can do is use the 'Player Search' option in the forums and type their IC name. It will bring up their forum profile and you can find them in TeamSpeak using that name.

I've never had a problem with finding people after a firefight and to be honest I don't think it's too good of an idea. That's just my opinion though.

Very valid points. Hmmmm enough so to almost make me almost reconsider entirely already

zoyo    70

I agree, I never had this problem before. Also with logs, if need to find someone on the forums its not too hard.

Boston    785

Yes, I think this is a good idea. Would like to see this implemented...

Defiance    96

futuramafry.jpg

Not sure if I really believe you...

Boston    785

futuramafry.jpg

If such a channel were to be implemented, people would then discuss reports and settle problems with each other, leading to less conflict and more of people learning and improving upon their mistakes. Therefore, I firmly believe that this idea should be enforced by the DayZRP Staff Team.

*Steps off soapbox*

:troll: Believe me now? :troll:

Defiance    96

futuramafry.jpg

If such a channel were to be implemented, people would then discuss reports and settle problems with each other, leading to less conflict and more of people learning and improving upon their mistakes. Therefore, I firmly believe that this idea should be enforced by the DayZRP Staff Team.

*Steps off soapbox*

:troll: Believe me now? :troll:

300x300http://www.dumbdrops.com/ratchet-memes/templates/Black_Fry.jpg[/img]

I've got my eye on you, Boston...I believe you. For now.

To add in my two cents: I don't think this will be a very good idea. I've experienced A LOT of salt post firefight and I think this would cause more harm than good. I usually recommend people cool off for several hours after a firefight before doing anything. I consider myself to be an incredibly chill person and yet I get pretty salty when I feel a rule has been broken. A lot of people jump to conclusions without proper evidence, and I think a channel like this would just end up being a roasting festival more often than not. The traditional way of contacting players is adequate enough. If they can't be found, then I'd suggest just making a report SPECIFICALLY to ask them if they want to talk things through on teamspeak.

DatBlueWolf    39

+1 I think it could be super useful and help diffuse some tension that sometimes surrounds a hostile encounter. Especially if a group is up in their respective TS channels it could be great to have the ease of access to reach out to someone you just ran into.

Nocheluz    122

This could be a good idea, but like some others I have concerns with it. From my own experiences in mediating post conflict talks, the involved parties can come to the table frothing at the mouth, salt dripping, with the intention of "roasting" as Defiance says, instead of rationally, amicably and reasonably trying to talk things out. When mediated these salt fests can turn into learning experiences and promote good will. But, staff would not necessarily always be around to moderate if needed. A special channel could do more harm than good in some cases.

Really depends on the parties involved. I can see pros and cons to it, however the current method does work, so I'd probably lean towards encouraging people to use those means mentioned to accomplish talking things out, whether a channel is specifically designated or not. A public channel could work just as well, if the involved parties are really interested in positively talking things out.

Hebee    2683

I personally do not think it is a good idea just based on how stressful and frustrating firefights can be. I feel as though it would lead to flaming and unneeded arguments.

BigRig    20

Nah cant say it would be a good idea, we all know some people who get upset when they die. The last thing we need is a place for people to find out who killed whom... then the salt mining begins.

If you feel like chatting with the people whom you just got in a fight with, join their open comms I usually do if Ive die and i know the people Ive just had an engagement with.