Server time: 2017-10-17, 06:01
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Jonibus

Making lasting IC friends / RP?

I've been struggling over the past few weeks to make RP that lasts and in-character friendships, and was wondering the best way to go about it.

Normally whenever I encounter another player, I get the cutthroat greeting, he asks me about myself and I start talking, and usually midway through I get the good ol' "Alright, I have places to be and people waiting.  Have a good one!" and they run off.

My character is generally quite, passive I guess you could say, so he wouldn't straight up be like "can I come with you please I have nowhere else!".  Plus, you have no clue what you're walking into.

Also, applying to a group on the forums generally won't work because of my character being North American & passive (no guns on him). 

Has anyone else been in a situation like this with any similar characters, and if so, how did you make your RP experience less dry and boring, because its getting to the point where DayZRP is no longer interesting me.

Bruce    0

Sometimes it can be hard for passive characters to find friends IC. It's a shame, but people don't really want to roam around and align themselves with someone who could be a "liability." You may have to try to get in touch with the more passive groups (and they should have no problem with you being North American).

It also depends on where you're looking for people. If you're wandering around the NWAF, Kabinino area it'll be hard to find people who don't have a large group already. 

Don't lose hope on all of RP because you can't find a long lasting friendship. Apply to some groups, there are many I'm sure you'd fit in with.

Joules    274

it could be that you are just not enjoying playing such a passive character? Remember, if there is a will there is a way. Do you have your eyes set on keeping this character passive the entire time, or are you open to changing him over time to being less passive?

Also, when it comes to joining groups, you won't know until you try. You can make a post here in the survivors looking for a group thread. I would also recommend looking into the group ideas. I know there are many groups offical and in ideas that wouldn't discriminate based on your character being North American, and I bet there are a few that wouldn't mind having someone who is passive.

Now if you want to run solo with this character, then I recommend that you keep searching for RP hot spots.

Roman    0

If you are getting bored with running alone and other people doesn't seem to respond to your character you can always find a group that you think could suit you or change your character to something different and see if that helps.

Voodoo    487

As Roman put above, finding a group can be really good for improving your characters RP. It also leads to alot of friendships both IC and OOC

GaryCash    33

One of the ways friendships form naturally in character is when you meet the same character more then once.  For instance, three of the characters who would later become my first friends on the server (In character and out of character), Colt, Logan and Max, I met on my first day of playing on the server ever and it honestly looked like that night that the three of them were about to have a shoot out at Balota airfield with me and the two other strangers I had met and was traveling with.

But both our groups got spooked and fell back.  Then the next morning the two people I was traveling with were gone, and I found those three again.  After remembering me from last night I asked if I could travel with them and they took my radio for safe keeping, but by the end of the day those guys were my first friends IC and OOC on the server.

Give it some time and you'll start recognizing people.  Ask the people you recognize as friendly (Or what ever kind of RP your looking for) to travel with you and build the relation IC from there.  -- Repetition builds memory, like the when they use the advertising trick of playing the same commercial back to back and this will help you as you get out there more and see the same people.  After all relationships are the sum of past experiences.

Also those OOC suggestions above are great too.

Hope this was helpful man!  Cheers!

--Also if you meet one person, you can meet many as you can meet the people they know eventually in game, so anywhere is a start!

Cheers!

Rory    1557

In my Opinion, the easiest way to make lasting friends in our community is to join a group. You can take a look through the group forums and become familiar with what every group stands for, what objectives they support and read through their backstory's. How they were established etc. Take your time and read everything thoroughly and then go ahead and send an application to a group that suits your character. You will find yourself making a bunch of friends through this due to being in the same group. 

Don't be shy to contact any group and talk things through on teamspeak. That's the best place to find out if you and other group members share the same interests!

zoyo    70

For alot of people it's hard to continue a story for very long.

Eventually people will want to move on to something new, though it takes longer for some people. Don't give up, you'll find long lasting friends eventually. :)

FreyZ    6

Basically the way my character has made contacts is that she has found one or two people, that she helped in the past, that later on has led towards being introduced to more people with time.

An example upon an encounter like this was when I stumbled into Enzo IG, my character and her friend assisted him with directions and also with finding the people he was suppose to meet in a nearby town. And with that, it led to her being informed about various location such as Zelenogorsk for example when that was a hot spot.

I've also met people through having joined groups.

So, my best suggestion towards you is that you really just.. Try and search, with time you'll find a person or group that will lead you towards making more contacts and eventually you'll have lots of people to RP with. Or my second suggestion would be trying to make an alt character to attempt RPing something different if you are willing to do it, so you can see if you have a lot more fun that way.

Hebee    2646

The best way to do it is to put forth effort into making your rp desirable so people you encounter will want to do with you again. Maybe spice your character up a tad bit or give him an interesting / unique quirk. Also seek out those that you have rpd with and you wish to continue to do with, but try your best to do it in character, it makes it more interesting that way

Guest TCGBuNiTy   
Guest TCGBuNiTy

If I were you I would try switching it up. Make your character become a little more hostile, or even snap a little bit. It will change things up a little and not saying you are going to make friends doing that, but maybe a different characterization would absolutely help.

Dustup    124

While I don't know anything about your character, here are some suggestions which I hope help you as these are things that worked for me when I started playing last year.

You must have some way of being useful to other people, make it known to them somehow that you are useful IC whether it be through exchanging information about areas you have visited, medical knowledge (I see Dr. on one of your character names), giving them ammo/magazines you may have found (unless your character has a reason to not pick up ammo to trade or give away) etc etc.

Going through areas where you have met people repeatedly can work as well, especially if you know they live there/ spend a lot of time there.

If you have enjoyed a particular RP session with people (assuming it was friendly), try asking if they carry radios and if they would be willing to give you their frequency in case you need to contact them about something or to give them a heads up that you are coming through their town.  Generally a good way to get to know people IC and OOC.

If you are simply wandering around the map with no particular place to go and have been talking to someone who is going to leave, tell them you were heading that direction and ask if they would mind if you tagged along for a little while (have a reason ready incase they ask you why, e.g. safer to travel in numbers, you sort of know the way but are afraid you will take a wrong turn and get lost.  Whatever works for your character).  If things have gone well up to that point, would your character still be too cautious to follow them?  Even so, sometimes getting in a bit of trouble will make things more interesting IMO.

Hope this helps you out.

Combat Logo    84

One of the ways friendships form naturally in character is when you meet the same character more then once.  For instance, three of the characters who would later become my first friends on the server (In character and out of character), Colt, Logan and Max, I met on my first day of playing on the server ever and it honestly looked like that night that the three of them were about to have a shoot out at Balota airfield with me and the two other strangers I had met and was traveling with.

But both our groups got spooked and fell back.  Then the next morning the two people I was traveling with were gone, and I found those three again.  After remembering me from last night I asked if I could travel with them and they took my radio for safe keeping, but by the end of the day those guys were my first friends IC and OOC on the server.

Give it some time and you'll start recognizing people.  Ask the people you recognize as friendly (Or what ever kind of RP your looking for) to travel with you and build the relation IC from there.  -- Repetition builds memory, like the when they use the advertising trick of playing the same commercial back to back and this will help you as you get out there more and see the same people.  After all relationships are the sum of past experiences.

Also those OOC suggestions above are great too.

Hope this was helpful man!  Cheers!

--Also if you meet one person, you can meet many as you can meet the people they know eventually in game, so anywhere is a start!

Cheers!

Gary, I don't think I could have said it better myself. Just keep trying, have faith, and be a nice guy. This coming from the "Nicest Guy in the Wasteland." Hell, you may even run across me out there, and your more than welcome to take a jog with me.

Keep your hopes up, and don't give up.

Boston    768

If there's one thing I learned in this roleplay, it's that it's easier to make enemies than friends. I've had characters that have been hunted by at one point, about 80% of the server. I've also had hero characters that have made interesting relations with others.

The way that I go about 'sticking' with people in RP is having a generally interesting character, one that people will want to continually RP with. I too have an alternate character who is passive and has Autophobia, which is a fear of being alone. As such, there was a pull for people to not want to leave the character alone, thus allowing him to make friends.

Perhaps use pathos (the emotional appeal) in your characters to tug at the heartstrings of fellow players? Thus making them want to be friends ofcourse...