Server time: 2017-08-20, 19:15

Sign in to follow this  
Frozen

How some people see TextRPers and a talk about Russian RP and the Accent

Frozen    45

MASSIVE DISCLAIMER : THIS IS MY OPINION AFTER MY 2 (soon 3) YEARS ON DAYZRP

((If you plan on answering. Make it constructive at least. 1 liners are pointless and won't help with anything.))

I do have a mic and yes I do have a voice yet I always prefer to use text RP. Be it for emotes/actions or just talking.

I'm not saying VoiceRP is bad, in fact it's great. It gives us a better understanding of the emotions felt by the person and really adds some depth into the universe. 

I'm personally never been a fan of VoiceRP because.. I don't like my voice. It's a mix of a my Russian, French and English/American Accents. I can obviously force on of the three accents but it always odd to me and I think I just sound rubbish. I feel more at ease using TextRP though there is a few issues. I've personally witnessed and also been a victim of people using US. Knowing that when you ask a TextRPer a question we will start to type and they then initiate (There are even videos of this.. Where they are planning it all out on TS and they will mention making the man type to leave him defenseless) I find this sad.. Like how desperate are you for the gear or whatever that you have to use the game mechanics against me because when you initiate I don't want to post my unfinished sentence such as "Sure I would like to co-" and try to even put up a fight (If I wanted or could).

A lot of people on TS say this sentence even when they encounter someone who doesn't use VoiceRP. "Oh fuck it's a typer". So what? We type, it doesn't mean we are underaged, bad at RP or anything. It's just everyone's darn lack of patience.. I though it's an apocalypse and shizzle but if you want to go full on realistic.. Go hide in a prison like in the Walking Dead and hide and don't leave. What I am trying to say here is.. If you bothered logging in and RPing, do have the respect and maybe let the textRP happen. Not just "I got to.. go!" to avoid waiting an extra 10 seconds. 

Another issue I want to address is.. Accents. Why do people feel so compelled to make a Russian Accent? Especially when you are doing the most stereotypical one. I am a Russian from the southern regions of Russia born in a town called Tuapse but I've lived mainly in Moscow and then Europe and the Middle East. I have a full Russian Orthodox Family. We speak Russian all the time and so on. Yet when I talk in English I don't have this deep stereotypical accent people use. Those were mainly in the movies.. And should stay in the movies. They might say the Rs differently and have a slightly deeper voice but that's pretty much it.. We also don't COMRADE or SUCKA BLYAT or DABAY DABAY (not x100 times at least) so chill on those.

((I know this a mess of a post. Sorry.))

Marcunt    218

*feels ashamed for playing an eastern european character*

Zero    279

I know how you feel, especially when it comes to my own voice. I have the voice imagined in my head of what it should sound like but unfortunately can't make my own sound like it. I have also found that text rpers at times are looked down upon by others that use mics, some even saying that they shouldn't even be on DayZRP and that they hate text role-players just because they choose not to use a mic. And even in some situations, groups/others will just outright ignore them. 

I agree that others should respect text rpers, because in my opinion the ones I have met are great role-players, however, I can see why some dislike text RP and that's because they are at a disadvantage game-play wise, like you said, you could be typing a sentence and then all of a sudden an initiation happens, with people who have mics, they have time to react and relay information, whilst the text role-player can be at a huge disadvantage.

I have met a few Russians before, and sometimes they have a very slight accent that is hard to emulate, so I guess others just go with the whole movie Russian accent deal because they can't do the latter. There have been a few who do an accent that isn't entirely over the top and I commend them for that.

I feel comfortable RP'ing the way I do, if you dont like it then take it out on me IC. And on the matter of text RP'ers I have noticed recently that the small text box gets washed out sometimes in big scenarios with lots of things happening even when I try keep up.

Frozen    45

I feel comfortable RP'ing the way I do, if you dont like it then take it out on me IC. 

I really would.. What would I say though? "What's up with your stereotypical accent? Why are you acting like you're from an american movie against Russia?"

Been there. Done that and the main result I got was people complaining about me questioning them. I didn't ask them any questions just commented their stereotypical behavior.

Ghoozovich    263

I think you addressed the biggest issue yourself - lack of patience. I love textRPers, but don't want to do it myself. I am not an especially fast typer, plus I love the sound of my own voice. I am completely alright with people preferring to type instead of speak and I see this most often with, for example, men who RP female characters and vice-versa.

Now, regarding the accent, while you and me are like that (link), a lot of people aren't. And a big number of my friends (also from Bulgaria, Serbia and other Eastern European countries) have worse English skills and sound pretty much how you would expect. Though, I firmly agree with the choice of words - you don't use curse words instead of comas unless you're a trucker or something of the kind and don't call each other 'comrade' all the time (although I often do irl, in other languages as well).

I feel comfortable RP'ing the way I do, if you dont like it then take it out on me IC. 

I really would.. What would I say though? "What's up with your stereotypical accent? Why are you acting like you're from an american movie against Russia?"

Been there. Done that and the main result I got was people complaining about me questioning them. I didn't ask them any questions just commented their stereotypical behavior.

Dont know what to say bud, if you dont like something IC then do something about it IC.

Zero    279

Dont know what to say bud, if you dont like something IC then do something about it IC.

Isn't that sort of breaking immersion / OOC oriented in a way? I was always bothered by it OOC when someone would tell me to speak in Russia when I played as a Russian character, I did it because in my opinion, it makes no sense to have all of these westerners in a East European country that borders Russia. 

While I didn't have a stereotypical accent, I only knew a few words in Russian, so it always bothered me when people would bombard me with questions that they obviously knew I had no answer for.

Frozen    45

Isn't that sort of breaking immersion / OOC oriented in a way? I was always bothered by it OOC when someone would tell me to speak in Russia when I played as a Russian character, I did it because in my opinion, it makes no sense to have all of these westerners in a East European country that borders Russia. 

While I didn't have a stereotypical accent, I only knew a few words in Russian, so it always bothered me when people would bombard me with questions that they obviously knew I had no answer for.

I know what you mean here and trust me I have been tempted to do this a few times. I only address people with serious exaggeration to the Russian/Eastern RP. I've RPed with Russians/Ukrainians on RP and we just stuck to ourselves if we spoke Russian. We never chased others and asked you to do so. 

I have issues in English so people could easily judge me on that. I wouldn't ever go and ask someone to straight up speak Russian. Though many have and walked up to me and asked me to speak Czech (Chernarussian) and I couldn't do shit. So trust me I know the feeling and I don't do this sort of act.

Phoenix    1056

Personally I use Text RP a lot of times on one of my characters as she is a Medic and I find it easier and smoother to do medical procedures through text Rp. I usually Voice RP though unless It is to emote feelings which is when I swap to Text RP most of the time.

I have never had a problem with a Text RPer before and my best friend also uses text RP a lot on one of his characters so I am used to it regardless.

I have also been RPing with a bunch of talented Text RPers in the past and really enjoyed every encounter, so I never had a problem with it in before but I can understand if the text would vanish in situations with a lot of people and you will have to try and keep up with the text from others. It can get out of hand and you will find yourself trying to pay attention to everything going on whilst reading Text RP.

It is good however for small enounters and to emote feelings.

As I said, this is just my opinion tho.

Im not following, If I heard a bad accent in-game then I wouldn't immediately try to fix it on an OOC level I would work with what I have IC but thats just the way I tackle things.

Edit - When it comes to speaking Russian then Ill just put *speaks in Russian.*

Sorry not everyone has a deep understanding of your accents but that's the fun of rp. If you seriously try to roast people on an IC lvl because of how stereotypical their accent is then you are just being a buzzkill. I'd rather run into a super cold war movie sounding accent then deal with people using just their boring normal voices. I've heard British people try to sound American but did not feel the need to correct them because I don't care what people sound like on a video game and it does not effect my rp at all. I don't really like text rp because it takes most of the emotion that I like out of rp however there is a few people who do it and make it interesting by the amount of detail they put into it.

In regards to text RP'ers I never just walk away on them because of it, but I would prefer a VoiceRP'er. Excuse me if I don't like to sit there quietly, read a chat box and then act as if I heard that, it's also really easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. It's a lot harder for me to actually buy whatever story I'm being sold, and in all honesty whenever I see something of the sort *cries* I can't help but to laugh a bit to myself, I mean imagine watching a movie and it's getting really intense, and all of a sudden you just get a black screen and all it says on it is *yells* or something like that, and then it switches back to the scene. I don't ignore or dislike text rp'ers, I just don't prefer them, I couldn't care less if you sound stupid or not as long as you're trying.

And about the accents I almost never give anyone a hard time, except when it's an obvious troll. I remember when I started doing an accent some guy just approached me and said ''Drop the stupid,fake russian accent, I can see right through it''or something along the lines, it kinda bothered me because that is how my character actually sounded and I can't really do anything about it :D

Frozen    45

In regards to text RP'ers I never just walk away on them because of it, but I would prefer a VoiceRP'er. Excuse me if I don't like to sit there quietly, read a chat box and then act as if I heard that, it's also really easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. It's a lot harder for me to actually buy whatever story I'm being sold, and in all honesty whenever I see something of the sort *cries* I can't help but to laugh a bit to myself, I mean imagine watching a movie and it's getting really intense, and all of a sudden you just get a black screen and all it says on it is *yells* or something like that, and then it switches back to the scene. I don't ignore or dislike text rp'ers, I just don't prefer them, I couldn't care less if you sound stupid or not as long as you're trying.

The fact is not everyone can or wants to do these emotions IRL sometimes. I personally am unable due to reasons.

And When I text RP I never give out *Cries*. A random example would be *Stares at Xs eyes as he cries in agony. His breathing intensifying because of the unbearable pain* I would write more but I need a scenario. I just think sometimes TextRP gives better descriptions of the RP happening. I've even seen people do the same textRP I have (As I did above) to give an idea of what's happening and they would even act out the crying in Voice. I truly applaud them for giving the best immersion possible.

Keira    1031

I myself have had some difficulty adjusting to voiceRP because I also do not like the sound of my voice and do not think it fits my characters entirely. I've come from a background of extensive paragraph/text RP which helps when it comes to emotes and RP but otherwise it has been quite the adjustment. I also find myself laughing at random shit OOC ALL the time which doesn't help.

CorbSlayer    34

I have absolutely no problem with text RP'ers. In fact, some of the best role players i have met have used text. I feel like the people that bash on text RP are not being fair at all. Their initial reaction is 'oh boy, a scrub with no mic'. This isnt fair at all, and i think people just have to give them a shot.

All in all, i agree with all you have said.

+1

Another issue I want to address is.. Accents. Why do people feel so compelled to make a Russian Accent? Especially when you are doing the most stereotypical one. I am a Russian from the southern regions of Russia born in a town called Tuapse but I've lived mainly in Moscow and then Europe and the Middle East. I have a full Russian Orthodox Family. We speak Russian all the time and so on. Yet when I talk in English I don't have this deep stereotypical accent people use. Those were mainly in the movies.. And should stay in the movies. They might say the Rs differently and have a slightly deeper voice but that's pretty much it.. We also don't COMRADE or SUCKA BLYAT or DABAY DABAY (not x100 times at least) so chill on those.

I can agree that the excessive use of words like 'comrade' and 'suka' are not ideal ways to represent Russian RP, but it sounds like you're being hypercritical over accents. I understand you want to implement your life experience with the language into your roleplay, however that doesn't make you a linguistics expert.

People feel so compelled to make Russian accents because the fictional country of Chernarus has a fictional border with Russia. Chernarus itself is a post-Soviet country so its fictitious culture is inspired by that. There are going to be a lot of people claiming to be ethnic so that their characters can realistically exist in the setting and while their accent might sound exaggerated that really doesn't matter. At least they are attempting to play a character and not just themselves in Chernarus. Berating people for their accent efforts on an OOC level will just drive people to play Western characters who have to stretch their stories to explain their presence in Chernarus and imo make RP stale. I've only witnessed one character who excessively used stereotypical Russian terms in my year playing here, so I don't find Russian characters being poorly represented to be that big of an issue.

If it bothers you that much consider creating a guide on the subtleties of the accent and include videos with examples of where the accent was done right. That would be more constructive than telling people to stop RPing their character as they see fit.

Eagle    345

Text RPers are some of the best RPers I have ever met,but it does annoy me when people do *Speaks XXX* language and then can't do it in voice since they don't know the language when they aren't  even doing full on text RP and just use it so the other people won't understand them.

regarding the Accent as long as it's not trolly and not done horrible it shouldn't matter, I've met people that have really stereotypical Accent but offered great RP

Hex    31

Personally, when I first came to DayZRP, I thought text RP'ers were an odd bunch, usually only reserved for character actions or guys who pretended to be females in game...but over my time and my break, I've had more time to rethink the topic in general.

Over the last year or so, my opinion has changed some. While I do believe that its more suited to character actions and the like, I find it a much more viable RP tool due to the fact that it opens up more character opportunities to people. I've had many idea's for characters, some I loved dearly ( My Irish character ) and others I felt no attachment to at all ( Russian characters ). You really know when you found something good when it sticks, but its certainly hard to feel 'right' in a character when something doesnt mesh up with how you imagined it in your head. For example, wanting an older gentleman, someone who has certainly been through his fair share of shit before the apocalypse, someone you imagined smoked a pack a day since he was 20, his voice would be a hoarse thing, but the real you simply cant produce such a voice, it makes the character difficult to become immersed in. I've had many times where I would imagine a good character and spend most of the day attempting to talk like them, trying to find a good pattern for how they spoke, slang they would use and just the general vibe. Often I could figure something out, but its not always so easy and I've scrapped many character idea's simply because I could not physically speak like how I wanted them to sound.

As it stands now, I do actually like and sometimes prefer txt RP myself as my own style of play has vastly changed since how I used to in the mod and early SA. Ive taken to a minimalist approach, which affords me the luxury of not having anything/not caring if I get robbed, therfore taking a slower route to RP is open to me. I would really love to see some sort of 'quick txt' system come into play in the future, or an easyer systems to do such things ( How I dunno ) but to speed the process up other then simply typing quickly.

Voice and text are both worthy mediums for expressing and communicating as your character. Text RP facilitates things like playing a character of a different gender to that of your own, for example. However I personally love voice RP. It just flows better and feels more natural to me.

Phony accents are part and parcel of what we're doing here. I've heard the WORST Scottish accent in my life here, but it doesn't mean I'm going to call 'em out for putting on a fake accent in character. If that's who they want their character to be, who am I to question that? I'll take fun and interesting over authentic any day.

Myself I try and aim for the most stereotypical accent as it is the most believable one in game. Ive mostly always played either a Russian or Chernarussian character and Ive never had a single issue with peoples accent because of the RP that is involved at the current time. Ive seen some people try at Australian accents multiple times but Ive never had problems with it purely on the fact they are playing a character and trying to create RP. You have talked to me on team speak before about my "accent" in game before saying that it is too stereotypical and my response will always be the same, I try and aim for a stereotypical accent.

Jack the Ripper    249

I understand what you mean when you say "I don't like my voice." I hate using my actual voice/accent IG, and therefore switch to a much different voice.

Even then I feel self conscious about the way it sounds and how people perceive it. It's deep, raspy, but also has a bit of pitch to it. Imagine Raiden from Metal Gear 4 or Rising, except more raspy. Sometimes I wonder, do people find it irritating? Does it make them cringe? Does it make me sound like a cliche? But ultimately I always end up coming to the same conclusion: I don't give a shit. It's my character, there is a logical reason he sounds that way, and if people have a problem with it, then tough shit.

Now, in regards to people taking advantage of text RPer's, and using the time they take to type as an opportunity to initiate. At the end of the day, it's wrong. It's abuse of game mechanics, simple as that, and should be reported. I won't initiate on a text RPer most of the time, but when I do, I will act as if they have the same advantages as everyone else, and wait for a legitimate opportunity.

Seriously, if they make it obvious that they're taking advantage of your text RPing simply for their gear. Report them for abuse of game mechanics and BadRP.

Now, I can understand why some people don't enjoy interactions with text RPers. Even with some of the best ones, I find it slightly awkward.

BUT, many people do it well, and they are able to hold your attention and keep you immersed. You are correct in saying that some people just need to learn some patience and give you a chance.

Lastly, regarding stereotypical Russian accents.... to put it simply, you cannot expect people to put on a perfect Russian accent. Some people just cannot alter their voice that way. Simple as that.

I do not think it is the accent that is the issue, but the attitude that these character portray. I feel that the vast majority of Russian/Chernarussian characters overplay the "angry, super patriotic, aggressive towards foreigners, militaristic, bloodthirsty, condecending" attitude. I'm not saying it's bad to have characters like that, I'm saying that it's bad to assume that every Russian/Chernarussian character SHOULD act and think that way. THAT is stereotypical.

Its the same with every other style of RP. There is no one set way that a character should be expected to act. There is room for variation.

But above all else, I simply think that the most important thing is that you're having a good time, and you're making sure the people you interact with are having a good time as well.

zoyo    66

I've been text RPing exclusively for over 8 months now. It's has been alot of fun. But I agree, it is definitely annoying when you hear people saying rude stuff about people who do it.

FreyZ    6

I'm a text RPer and the reason why I do it is a mixture of not having a well working voice program and because I'm used to RPing in games that doesn't have something like the DayZ VOIP.

And I am fully aware that people dislike text RPers and.. I can't understand the reason behind it because I don't see Text RP nor Voice RP to be better than the other. That's only my opinion on it, though. :D

Stradic    261

Some of the best RP I have had are those who only text. I personally will switch to text if I need to express a particular emotion or if to many people are in the one area because I find it cluttered with the current VOIP system. In regards to the Russian accent, I don't see a solution to this other then try not to let it bug you.