Server time: 2017-08-21, 12:20

Sign in to follow this  
Keira

DayZRP - The True Humanity Simulator

Keira    1039

So, I was in a skype call with some people from DayZRP recently and it was being discussed about what people would actually do when the zombie apocalypse happens, how they would react, where they would go, etc. This leads me to ask the question "who would I be when the zombie apocalypse happens?" Naturally, I would imagine most would want to be 'good' people but given the nature of RP and most of the characters I've seen, I'm not sure that would be the case (and I hope when shit does go down that some of you crazies never cross paths with me, given what I've seen in RP with you!). I would like to think I would be a 'good' person but if there were no rules, no limits, no boundaries, no government.. I would probably embrace the freedom and welcome the level playing field.

There have been a few discussions related to what would happen with a real life zombie apocalypse, but what I really want to know is who would you become?

Prolly myself

Yee

Sounds ight

But maybe I'll grab a pasty from Greggs without paying because you need to let out the devil in you from time to time

DatBlueWolf    39

I'd like to think that the apocalypse allows people to potentially realize their potential for both extremes of the good and evil spectrum.

Regardless of circumstance the situation of the apocalypse necessitates action. The lazy must rise up or die and finally seeing someone who had previously been apathetic and neutral for most of their lives finally are forced to pick a side in order to survive.

I believe that I would do some morally questionable things if it meant the survival of my group and myself. However, I don't take pleasure in the pain of others so I'd like to think I'd end up at Chaotic Good in the worst case scenario.

Joules    229

I personally have thought about this as well, and have had a few drunk conversations with a friend at a bar over this.

While most people would want to see themselves as "good" and only try to do the "right" thing, I have a feeling I would end up taking a different approach. Let me give an example of something that could potentially occur if this were to actually happen. Let's take our current lore set for instance, it's in the middle of winter when the infection finally reaches the US. Once the power goes out, I'd be SCREWED because of the weather. Since no one has logically prepared for this, I would have only one course of action. I would head down south about 25 miles or so to where I grew up and occupy a cabin there with a wood stove. Should this cabin actually already have someone living in there... well, sucks for you buddy.

By this I mean, I would not make decisions based on morality, but on the necessity of the situation at hand. Morality would only hold back a person from surviving. I know though that I wouldn't go out of my way to be a terrible person, but I wouldn't hold myself back from doing horrific things if they need to happen. Now that I think about it, my actions would probably be predictable, and the political theory presented in The Prince would probably dictate my actions. The beautiful thing about his work is it doesn't just apply to politics, but can be applied to a persons every day life.

Hellspawnceri    477

As someone who's always felt disconnected from society I'd say all morals would go out the window once the shit hits the fan.

I've personally always wanted civilization to fall, and I've had more of a personal attachment to Anarchy than any form of structured goverment. The daily grind of the modern world has taken its toll on my desire to do anything, and once that's not a factor I'd begin to feel like I have more control of my life. Of course I'm sure there will be those that will try their hardest to keep hold of the old ways, but in the end we'll all have to do something we might not be proud of.

Life may be tougher once you have to fend for yourself, but I feel as though a sense of relief would come over me once I know I don't have to deal with this capitalist society any-more.

Phoenix    1056

I would most likely hide in some prison and hope that Kanen can defend me from Zombies.

Voodoo would probably die first :D

GreekGodx    120

This is a question I have been thinking to myself even before I joined DayZRP. It is a testament of human nature and people's true calling would soon overwhelm them. Your left with decisions that you have never thought about and are with people who you never expected to meet. Would you be someone who cares or someone who kills? For me personally, I don't know what I would do when the zombie apocalypse ever comes to be. As much as it sounds stupid, my true calling will contest me when the time comes.

Keira    1039

As someone who's always felt disconnected from society I'd say all morals would go out the window once the shit hits the fan.

I've personally always wanted civilization to fall, and I've had more of a personal attachment to Anarchy than any form of structured goverment. The daily grind of the modern world has taken its toll on my desire to do anything, and once that's not a factor I'd begin to feel like I have more control of my life. Of course I'm sure there will be those that will try their hardest to keep hold of the old ways, but in the end we'll all have to do something we might not be proud of.

Life may be tougher once you have to fend for yourself, but I feel as though a sense of relief would come over me once I know I don't have to deal with this capitalist society any-more.

Knowing your character and now this - yep, I'm staying away at all costs! But I completely agree with you. I would enjoy actually surviving versus this slave culture. I already know the first thing I would do...

This is a question I have been thinking to myself even before I joined DayZRP. It is a testament of human nature and people's true calling would soon overwhelm them. Your left with decisions that you have never thought about and are with people who you never expected to meet. Would you be someone who cares or someone who kills? For me personally, I don't know what I would do when the zombie apocalypse ever comes to be. As much as it sounds stupid, my true calling will contest me when the time comes.

So much this. The true nature of everyone will finally show. It won't be all roses and rainbows.

Hellspawnceri    477

Knowing your character and now this - yep, I'm staying away at all costs! But I completely agree with you. I would enjoy actually surviving versus this slave culture. I already know the first thing I would do...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna go around torturing and marking people like my character has been known to do. But I'm not going to be living my life on what society deemed right and wrong. I will admit that some of the things my character says and does aren't that far from my own opinions at times.

Just think of me as a less twisted version of Duncan if you will.

Pipski    2

Well. I'm just gonna be a party pooper and put this here:

Though the zombie apocalypse would be both awesome and horrid, forcing things that perhaps previously seemed impossible by morals alone, it is likely that it'd only last a few months at most. Reason? Because in reality they would either stop functioning due to rigor-mortis, or, they would (if it were a rage virus instead of a dead-rising type) starve/cannibalize themselves to death. However, the aftermath of that would be the true test in my opinion.

If the government did not survive beyond those few months, then who would take charge? Who manages, cleans up the mess? It becomes a power struggle with every civilian trying to hold their own. Now I'm sure most of you would agree on this one point; If such an event happened, moral codes or not, I would defend myself and those I hold dear with any and all means necessary at the time. As the law will have dissipated, and only illusions of control would remain.

Still, I'd help anyone if they simply asked nicely. Manners maketh man, afterall.

Bauglir2011    155

Although I'm RPing a dark character, I don't think I would be that bad and crazy IRL apocalypse. Btw I live in a small village in the mountains, so maybe I would fortify the house, or move to the woods. I'm also a medieval reanactor IRL, so my armor would surely come in handy.

I'll hang myself in a real life scenerio after a month if the outbreak did you cease. Either hang or jump off the 8th storey where I live. Let me give you a reason why, in America you roughly have 70 people per square mile. In my country you have 7000 people per square mile.

In my block, I'm probably the most well armed person, with a survival Bowie knife. Officers only carry 6 bullets in their guns, our armory consist of guns with mainly blanks and most of the live firearm ammunition is off the island. I live on the 8th floor, with at least 200 people in my block alone. There is about 20-30 blocks around us, each 13 storey high with an average amount of 200 per floor. So yeah, if given the option, I will kill my family, then kill myself, it's a better fate then walking out to get devoured.

If I live in a different country I might attempt to survive but honestly, I think I would end up putting a bullet in my head after 1-2 years assuming I haven't died yet. Realistically wise, I would be too devastated because unlike most people I know that my family back in Singapore and Malaysia is fucked. There's no escape for them, I wouldn't be able to take it and end up killing myself. 

Only chance I have of surviving in Singapore is that I have to be overseas either deployed or on training in tekong(military island off the coast of Singapore)