Server time: 2017-08-24, 05:07

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gibbon

Necroing is wrong regardless of the circumstances?

Question

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

So this thread: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Claiming-Land--66379?pid=1374394#pid1374394

So we have this and this

Which leaves me confused. The rules state not to necro unless bringing something relevant to the thread, I interpret this as new information/questions/discussions, avoiding posting comments that do nothing but bump the thread.

In this specific case, the person asked a question but was told not to post questions in an older thread, but to make their own thread, or else they would be warned. But the community rules specifically state to find older relevant threads before making a new one.

So necroing is wrong regardless?

5 answers to this question

I think it was more because the thread he was posting in was about patches from a year ago (I believe it was .55).

I could be wrong though.

If you read the rules you'll notice it says "it is advised to reuse the old thread if you want to post something informative." However asking a different question generally doesn't fall under "posting something informative" it's more just asking a question, which they should post a new thread for or hop into helpdesk, especially since his question was answered earlier in the thread. Having old threads bumped up the top is not the best as most of the information apart from the recently posted stuff may be inaccurate due to the state of the game and updates which change things. Obviously, he didn't get points as the necro wasn't anything point-worthy, and was a sincere question, but it's much preferred to start a new thread.

I think it was more because the thread he was posting in was about patches from a year ago (I believe it was .55).

I could be wrong though.

Issues answers this perfectly. All information in said thread could be outdated. Further more, his question was answered in the thread. Had he actually read the thread; it would not have been necessary to ask the same question twice in two seperate threads.

As your question has been answered by the two lovely staff members above I will /solve the thread.

Feel free to post again if you still aren't clear on anything.

Guest Gibbon   
Guest Gibbon

I could be wrong though.

Issues answers this perfectly. All information in said thread could be outdated. Further more, his question was answered in the thread. Had he actually read the thread; it would not have been necessary to ask the same question twice in two seperate threads.

I get that reviving old threads that are specific to certain builds/patches could lead to misinformation, but the build/patch is irrelevant in this specific thread and the question asked (until base building or something similar is actually added). 

The question asked by the person wasn't specifically already answered. Sure you could draw vague conclusions from previous posts by reading the whole thread, which the person probably did, but if you want to be sure about something, you ask instead of making assumptions. And by doing so he received a direct answer from someone. 

You can argue he should have made a new thread, but the rules are unclear on this. As Asriel pointed out asking questions doesnt really fall under "posting something informative", but the rules also state not to necro without bringing nothing new to the thread, and he did bring something new. 

I will note that in the future if I have questions on something to make a new thread, rather than make use of an older relevant thread to avoiding necro.

Thanks for the responses.