Server time: 2017-08-23, 12:07

Sign in to follow this  

Being politically correct in Chernarus?

Question

RI got a general question for the community regarding being politically correct within the range of roleplay.

In a country like chernarus which is more eastern and is war torn, it's mostly a third world country. Now I might have a different understanding on what the 'politically correctness' style of Eastern Europe is so I'm going to use my experience from south east Asia.

Now in south east Asia, around the countries, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, what have you. We have a very different way of looking at sensitive subjects such as certain words that cannot be said in the west. 

For example, words like black, -removed by Oliv- , -removed by Oliv- , dike, etc.

they're all very sensitive words in the west that usually ends up starting racial arguments and what not. 

Now in the eastern part of the world, or at least in countries in south east Asia including mine, it's normal to say words like this because they are just words. I have been told that I was being racist and homophobic with the way I phrase things in the community, for example, I'm accustom to calling a person by their nationality.

Example is like when I talk to Mohawk, a friend of mine, I occasionally refer to him by the term 'Swede' because it's how we sometimes call our people here by race or nationality which for some reason people think is racist, in fact I have a half German friend in real life who is only referred to by me and several people sometimes even teachers in my school as 'German' even sometimes calling Chinese students 'the Ching at the back' is normal. 

The word ' -removed by Oliv- ' or ' -removed by Oliv- ' is use as sparingly as 'fuck' or 'Bitch' simply as a cuss word and nothing more. usually -removed by Oliv- in my country is use to refer to a close friend just like how some people would greet your friend by saying 'you son of a bitch', in my country or any other south eastern country we would say 'what up -removed by Oliv- ' or 'hey -removed by Oliv- ' as a greeting to a friend. It's really a common thing to see in south East Asian countries, even Singapore who is known for having a term for Caucasians(white folks in general), 'Red-hair' In a local dialect same  way other countries have a different term for people (I.E oriental for a Chinese person) basically overall, racism isn't a problem here because nobody gives a fuck about race and I figure it's the same in Chernarus.

Now I read up on the politically correctness of the western world and of course that is looked down upon there. But the question is, is chernarus?

Chernarus is by far considered a third world Eastern European country and I've noticed that race and sexuality is something that isn't discussed there except for the occasional discussion that ultimately result to nothing but an useless debate just like in most parts of the eastern world. I want to make my new character based off the way that I act sometimes in real life, mainly based off my impulsion to use slurs and insults as a form of everyday speech or talking, before I have been very careful not to insult people in fear that I might get banned.

Now I want to ask if everyday political correctness that I have to use when on Teamspeak with people have to correspond to roleplay. I have been known to be extremely sharp with my tongue and find exotic ways of insulting people without realizing it simply because it's acceptable in my culture to do so. I want To get this all cleared up before I jump in game.

I know this question has been answered many many times before, but recently people have just been up and getting straight up perma banned for saying such words either in OOCchatter or in game as if the topic on slurs suddenly took a right swing into extreme sensitivity which as I know of means more people get insulted and don't even bother putting up a small message saying "//I'm not feeling comfortable with your slurs please stop" and just go straight to an admin to complain. 

I considered roleplaying being politically correct like I did on kenway but I always ended up feeling that I'm being restricted to other people's comfort zone. 

17 answers to this question

Defiance    96

While I think it's important to implement realism into your RP, I don't think it's appropriate to be so realistic that you wind up using slurs to offend members of our community. I don't think it's ever a good idea to assume that you can do racist/offensive RP without first having OOC permission to do so. Minor insults and retalliations to being roasted IC are acceptable, but the moment you start throwing in offensive slurs into the mix, I think it's best to keep that aspect of your character away from the general public.

I'd treat this kind of RP the same way that I would sexualRP, by keeping it away from public areas and asking OOC permission beforehand. Someone shouldn't have to EVER type in OOC that your racial slurs are offending them, and it's your responsibility as a mature RPer to make sure your audience is comfortable beforehand.

More often than not, I'd simply refrain from this type of RP. There's no need to be 100% politically correct, but we don't want to offend members of the community by being blatantly racist. There's a fine line to be crossed between acceptable RP and unacceptable RP, and I find that it's best to just steer far away from that line all together unless you've been given permission beforehand. 

If you're really concerned about making your RP risky, but feel it's integral to your character's narrative or something to that effect, then I'd ask an administrator for their opinion. 

I'd be glad to comment further on things you might be unclear about, Jekyll. Let me know and I'll try to respond.

Boston    650

As far as the political aspect of it, yes, unfortunately, many politicians of the West/US are very politically correct and supporters of such politicians follow suit with their political beliefs of trying to not 'offend' anyone with such words. Personally, if someone called me a 'cracker' in-game, or whatever, I wouldn't care aslong as the RP beforehand was good and the RP situation called for it. 

I wouldn't think you to do this, but don't run around in-game and call people -removed by Oliv- or words to those effect unless it calls for it or you have a damn good IC reason for it.

Yes, the rules in the community are to not be racist or homophobic, but I think that it should boil down to the situation at hand, no matter what words are said, nor who it offends.

I think that with the rules of this community, there are two sides to the coin. On one side, you can argue that this needs to be as realistic as possible, so no rules as far as homophobic/racist remarks, atleast IC. On the other side, if this community were to be as realistic as possible, there wouldn't be any initiations, just KoS. So it really is interesting to see what people say.

In sum, I really don't care what you call me aslong as it's IC, and RP calls for it.

Prince    96

[video=youtube]

A good speech on PC and microaggressions and such I would definitely watch this. 

starts on PC at about 12:00

You are only offended if you want to be. Should you really care about if someone on the internet was mean?

You can call me any names or slurs you want and I will not give a shit. I am me and you are you that's all there is.

Zero    285

This reminds me of a picture floating around the internet featuring a viking with the captions "I offended you? What does it feel like to be so weak that mere words hurt you?"

Anyways, from what I have read, and I do believe Rolle stated it on the forums, as the long as the role-play is realistic and not "trolly", then it is fine, however, it would be nice for him or another admin to state it once more just to be sure.

I'm sure, seeing as it's a former bloc country, that there would be some racism, such as ethnic Chernarussians spitting slurs towards Russians. Let's assume for the topic that racism isn't okay, but then why is it okay for some groups that are currently active and some that are in-active/archived to have been racist towards others that are not from Chernarus?

Such as some groups having a hatred of Russians and Westerners just because, well, they are Russian or from Western countries? There have been groups that would initiate and torture just for those reasons, and if you ask me, that, in itself, is rather racist. Where should/do we draw the line?

I am fine with it as long as it is good role-play wise, I am not very fond of the "safe bubble" or "coddling" communities that are akin to liberal safe areas that hold your hand and I really hope this community does not become something like that.

[video=youtube]

A good speech on PC and microaggressions and such I would definitely watch this. 

You are only offended if you want to be. Should you really care about if someone on the internet was mean? You can call me any names or slurs you want and I will not give a shit.

That's the mentality my country has. If you don't make it an issue, it's not an issue. But I have been called a racist and a homophobe countless times for simply things I say IG or if I phrase something not politically correct on the forums. And I don't even know why

Prince    96

You are only offended if you want to be. Should you really care about if someone on the internet was mean? You can call me any names or slurs you want and I will not give a shit.

That's the mentality my country has. If you don't make it an issue, it's not an issue. But I have been called a racist and a homophobe countless times for simply things I say IG or if I phrase something not politically correct on the forums. And I don't even know why

Being a victim is trendy now. Didn't you hear?

Defiance    96

-snip-

There's a right way and a wrong way to approach political correctness in DayZRP. On one hand, nearly anything can be used to further the RP and create a rich and compelling narrative. On the other hand, the people we interact with IC are real-life people and could have sensitivities to hate speech and racial slurs. I'd consider myself one of those people, and I think there's a huge distinction to be made between proper racist RP and trollyRP.

If you meet someone for the very first time and immediately turn towards referring to this person via a racial slur, then you're inching towards trolling. If you generate hostilities between a person IC and ask permission to speak your character's mind and they give you permission, then go for it. The edgiest and most controversial RP should be done in private, and if it becomes too much (especially in the case of sexualRP) then I'd just relocate to a different medium.

To summarize my position...There's a time and a place for being politically incorrect. I'm not saying that there's absolutely no room to share the racist/homophobic side of your character, but that you should take the necessary precautions to make sure that the people you're having this kind of RP with are comfortable with it. 

As always, our community rules are a good point of reference. Plenty of players have been banned for racistRP, so it's a good idea to look at examples of players who conduct good racist RP (Staggs, Cerna Liska) and examples of players who conduct bad racist RP (countless permabanned players).

Jekyll, if you're honestly looking towards making a character like this, then I'd recommend speaking to Staggs personally for some do's and don'ts. I know that he is probably the most capable person in the community when it comes to walking a fine line.

-snip-

There's a right way and a wrong way to approach political correctness in DayZRP. On one hand, nearly anything can be used to further the RP and create a rich and compelling narrative. On the other hand, the people we interact with IC are real-life people and could have sensitivities to hate speech and racial slurs. I'd consider myself one of those people, and I think there's a huge distinction to be made between proper racist RP and trollyRP.

If you meet someone for the very first time and immediately turn towards referring to this person via a racial slur, then you're inching towards trolling. If you generate hostilities between a person IC and ask permission to speak your character's mind and they give you permission, then go for it. The edgiest and most controversial RP should be done in private, and if it becomes too much (especially in the case of sexualRP) then I'd just relocate to a different medium.

To summarize my position...There's a time and a place for being politically incorrect. I'm not saying that there's absolutely no room to share the racist/homophobic side of your character, but that you should take the necessary precautions to make sure that the people you're having this kind of RP with are comfortable with it. 

As always, our community rules are a good point of reference. Plenty of players have been banned for racistRP, so it's a good idea to look at examples of players who conduct good racist RP (Staggs, Cerna Liska) and examples of players who conduct bad racist RP (countless permabanned players).

Jekyll, if you're honestly looking towards making a character like this, then I'd recommend speaking to Staggs personally for some do's and don'ts. I know that he is probably the most capable person in the community when it comes to walking a fine line.

I know what's the dos and donts regarding racist rp, people have told me I did quite a good job and I have been observing the cerna Liska since reaper days. Only issue is, whenever I'm racist or homophobic in game, I receive both good feedback and people calling me out. I enjoy making hostilities but when I call someone dressed in pure black, a black man. Suddenly I get //stop being racist please. 

It's the sensitivity of some people that makes it annoying, I don't want to have to resist myself in roleplay simply because others can't stand a little insensitivity. 

Even on the forums I can't use homosexuals in an example without getting called a homophobe 

It's incredibly frustrating for someone who grew up in a condition where insensitivity is borderline harassment.

I always insult people when I meet them not to the point of "oh my you're a living example of retro active abortion", I start slow and start building it up like the Liska does. But sometimes I get cussed or called out by others. Same way some people other than the Liska have

Doc    3

Definitely, the use of swear words and other profanities in the DayZRP community is allowed, but only sparingly. Personally, I do not see a problem using this sort of language in-game, since it would only make sense in a real life apocalypse. However, if you are caught purposely using specific language to offend someone on an out-of-character level through in-game voice chat or text chat, then that is not right. People who are easily offended by role-play offered in-game should be a little more understanding to the culture and nature of the role-play situation at hand. If I want to say -removed by Oliv- , bitch, dumbfuck, prick, -removed by Oliv- , asshole, or other words in-game, and those words are role-play motivated, then it should be alright. I have no quarrels with anyone in this community, and I certainly wouldn't risk my tenure here by purposely insulting someone out-of-character. Also, you shouldn't have to ask OOC permission to insult someone. I mean really? Then that isn't role-play, it just breaks the immersion having to waste five seconds asking someone permission if you should call them a name.

Defiance    96

I know what's the dos and donts regarding racist rp, people have told me I did quite a good job and I have been observing the cerna Liska since reaper days. Only issue is, whenever I'm racist or homophobic in game, I receive both good feedback and people calling me out. I enjoy making hostilities but when I call someone dressed in pure black, a black man. Suddenly I get //stop being racist please. 

It's the sensitivity of some people that makes it annoying, I don't want to have to resist myself in roleplay simply because others can't stand a little insensitivity. 

Even on the forums I can't use homosexuals in an example without getting called a homophobe 

It's incredibly frustrating for someone who grew up in a condition where insensitivity is borderline harassment.

I always insult people when I meet them not to the point of "oh my you're a living example of retro active abortion", I start slow and start building it up like the Liska does. But sometimes I get cussed or called out by others. Same way some people other than the Liska have

If you call someone wearing all black a black person, then I don't think you're being offensive. In most contexts in the USA, calling someone black is not offensive. The word has been reclaimed and its use has shifted since the 1990's to become more common. You shouldn't have a problem with that specific example.

Again, I'll just reiterate that many exceptions can be made if OOC permission has been granted. 

I'd consider myself fairly sensitive to politically incorrect language, especially hateful slurs. I've never had a problem with your conduct OOC, so I commend you on wanting to test out how deep the waters are. If someone complains to you OOC about being hateful towards them IC, then I'd just politely inform them that it was role-play and that you aren't intending to be hateful OOC. When it comes to people being sensitive to offensive material, I'd always try to opt for the peaceful solution.

This is definitely a delicate subject and is open for further discussion.

Someone just happened to bump this thread, which contains a lot of discussion: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-I-encountered-a-racist-roleplay-today-and-it-was-great

From Rolle:

d3534e04ba.png

With that, I'm going to go ahead and mark this as /solved.

Feel free to continue the discussion. Ask me questions, ask each other questions, throw out hypotheticals -- Whatever you feel is necessary to obtain clarity over this situation. I'll attempt to answer as best as I can.

And for good measure...The word of Staggs himself: 

150de3e2d2.png

Hamakaze    12

Personally If i was gonna RP someone who is rather loose lipped when it comes to terms that could become offensive I'd always keep in mind the fact that what isn't offensive in your culture could be extremely offensive in someone else's culture and that you should respect that different cultures are gonna be exactly that. Different.

I think it's important to remember that DayZRP has players from around the world and you should take that into account. What may seem like a casual remark to you could have a bigger impact on someone else so it's important to weigh your words carefully.

With that being said people should be free to RP what they want provided they're careful about it.

Personally If i was gonna RP someone who is rather loose lipped when it comes to terms that could become offensive I'd always keep in mind the fact that what isn't offensive in your culture could be extremely offensive in someone else's culture and that you should respect that different cultures are gonna be exactly that. Different.

I think it's important to remember that DayZRP has players from around the world and you should take that into account. What may seem like a casual remark to you could have a bigger impact on someone else so it's important to weigh your words carefully.

With that being said people should be free to RP what they want provided they're careful about it.

I think at this point, it just feels that everyone is insulted by the slightest thing. I got called out for calling someone by their nationality, I didn't even call the person a Nazi, I just said "hey German help me do something".

So now I'm asking if I have to be politically correct in Chernarus which I figured it would be similar to my country. In game wise, I know people get offended because they aren't raised the same way. But in Chernarus I should be allowed to do it, I can't possibly learn what is insensitive in every single western country that people play from. So I based my politeness on Chernarus, if I can be insensitive in my country which most of the time I am, I figured I can do the same in Chernarus of course that was incorrect and I got called out several times without a warning during rp. I'm just lucky a report never got dropped because I apologized

Marcunt    218

Man I wish my country could have the same mentality! (I'm a swede) These days people get offended by everything, like, come on people thought it was racist that our white outlines of people crossing the street on roadsigns were racist. It's ridiculous. Even though I find slurs in greetings a bit strange the rest is something I've wanted for a long time, but it's most likely never gonna happen. They're. Just. Words. Let me swear, for goodness' sake :D

Hey man I'm with you. I am never PC. I say what I'm thinking and if it comes off wrong to people that is their issue not mine. If I am not serious and they take it the wrong way then that's that, I do my best to clarify but. Another thing about me is if I don't reiterate it after I say it I don't mean it. Like if I say I'm serious or for real but you know, Shit happens. But for in character I am extremely homophobic and racist because clay hates anyone who isn't white. . I use it when it needs to be used. But you can't just go around calling people -removed by Oliv- and shit.

If you wanna know how it is in Eastern Europe I'll go right ahead and tell you that people do not give a fuck about what you say.Use any word no matter how bad someone else might consider it.Absolutely nobody gives a damn,nobody will get in an argument with you if you use homophobic or racial slurs.Also in regards to the word ''-removed by Oliv- ''that's how we call all black people,because that is the actual word for it,so it's bad only if you make it bad.

Ghoozovich    263

If you wanna know how it is in Eastern Europe I'll go right ahead and tell you that people do not give a fuck about what you say.Use any word no matter how bad someone else might consider it.Absolutely nobody gives a damn,nobody will get in an argument with you if you use homophobic or racial slurs.Also in regards to the word ''-removed by Oliv-''that's how we call all black people,because that is the actual word for it,so it's bad only if you make it bad.

^ Pretty much that. Here you have first-hand experience. I am not quite certain how well this would translate ingame and ICly, but irl, in the Europe of the East, you don't need to have a curtain on your mouth, so to speak.

As long as it is justified ingame, and you're not just randomly insulting people for "poops and laughs", then I think it should be fine. But don't quote me on that. ;)

If you wanna know how it is in Eastern Europe I'll go right ahead and tell you that people do not give a fuck about what you say.Use any word no matter how bad someone else might consider it.Absolutely nobody gives a damn,nobody will get in an argument with you if you use homophobic or racial slurs.Also in regards to the word ''-removed by Oliv-''that's how we call all black people,because that is the actual word for it,so it's bad only if you make it bad.

That's what I thought as well, it's the same here. Which is why I asked this question in the first place. i get that words like -removed by Oliv- have to be said in a context, and I need to go through the Rp to do so, but it's not as if I'm saying to go around calling every black person a -removed by Oliv-.

Realistically wise, it makes sense but people have been banned for less.