Server time: 2017-11-19, 04:50

Sign in to follow this  
d0usted

Avoiding RP

Question

Hi guys,

I thought I understood the terms of 'avoiding rp' but I've had different answers from different staff in TS.  And I'm especially interested now as I've been accused of it.

When I first came on the server I followed advice and headed to Stary where I'm told many people hang out.  I was pretty happy, after 3 days of having no contact to finally encounter so many people gathered around a campfire!  So I hello to be erm...roundly ignored.  I realised after encountering a few groups like this that some people just don't want to speak to people outside of their group.  So I ask a friendly member of staff on TS if this is is the norm.  I was advised that eventually I'll find someone to RP with but you will find groups like this, but to not take it personally and move on.  Fine

However, today I approached Stary again, and heard some people arguing in away that sounded like a hold up.  So I thought it would be sensible from my character's point of view to avoid the area.  One of the other players saw me do this, confronted me and then reported me.

I just spoke to  a staff member on TS who confirmed that yes, by avoiding a dangerous area I was avoiding rp.  

So I don't understand how willfully ignoring players just because they're are not in your clique is fine but a character fearing for his life and avoiding places where he might get killed is bad rp??

9 answers to this question

To be honest the first situation sounds like avoiding RP from the others, if someone comes up to you face to face and attempts to RP and they ignored you, this from what I am aware is avoiding RP. I too have found that many groups don't like to have extensive RP with people outside their clique, but to have a 'Hello' straight up ignored, that is avoiding RP IMO.

"I just spoke to a staff member on TS who confirmed that yes, by avoiding a dangerous area I was avoiding rp."

This is just no. Have no idea how a staff member would say this, avoiding dangerous areas is by no means avoiding RP. As long as you're not entering these dangerous areas and people are attempting to RP with and you ignore them then it is not avoiding RP at all.

TBH it sounds like you've done nothing wrong and have bumped into people that were avoiding RP then got some ill advice from staff.

Without knowing the whole situation, it's hard to comment on what is, and what isn't avoiding RP. It's all context driven.

If you are avoiding a large group of people (before they see you or interact with you) because your character is skeptical and is wary of other people, then no it is not avoiding RP. That is making a valid IC choice to prolong your character's life as other people can be portrayed as a threat.

Avoiding RP comes into play when someone is actively role playing with you and you choose to ignore them without good IC reasoning, or OOC reasons.

Example..

Me: Hey, how are you doing today?

Stranger: (Silently looks around the tents for ammo)

Me: Oh so you're a quiet one, huh? I can respect that.

Stranger: (Avoids contact and moves onto the next tent)

Me: Listen, I don't mean to bother you, but you seem a little out of it. You okay?

Stranger: (Finishes looting the tents and then runs off into the woods)

Catch my drift?

Also, you always have the option of not participating in RP if you aren't drawn to it or like that sort of RP. It´s like walking down town. I hardly think you speak to every single individual you meet, am i right?

As Kattica states, that is avoiding RP.

Just minding your own businesses and value your life is not. That is if anything more of proper RP.

Avoiding dangerous areas is in no way avoiding RP. If anything that would be protecting your characters life.

Those groups that you tried RPing with seemed to be the ones avoiding RP, not you. As for the person who reported you, thats a pretty low move, especially seeing as you were trying to avoid a hostile situation which didn't involve you.

Situations such as what Kattica said above, is avoiding RP. Continuously ignoring someone.

Kattica sums up avoiding rp perfectly.

If you meet someone and they intentionally just ignore your character and don't react to you it's a clear case of avoiding rp.

As for your character avoiding an area due to in character fear of that area.  That would not be avoiding rp.

Does that clear it all up for you OP?

If they haven't established contact with you than you can make your escape and run away(even if they are following, I only do this if a big group decides to run towards me). But when they get into voip range and you hear them and keep on running, yes that's what I consider avoid rp + what everybody else stated above me.

Avoiding Roleplay is pretty self-explanatory by itself, it's basically the act of not taking part in roleplay or ignoring any attempts at interaction. 

Kattica gave quite a goo explanation on it, personally for me, avoiding roleplay is when someone sees another person, one tries to make contact and the other one just bolts.

When you see people in game and they talk to you, most of the time they expect a reply. Instead of you walking around and ignoring them.  People come to this community for roleplay which we provide.

Of course, we have people that play the introvert or the silent type but even those are expected to make a short reply. We do have people who bolt at the sight of people, large groups especially are terrifying to be there. 

This goes into a lot of the Gear>RP kind of roleplay, where people are more interested in keeping their gear than anything, but that's another topic in a whole. 

Anyway seeing how the community and Kattica especially have given you a great reply, I will mark this question as solved.

/Solved

Thanks for the responses.

They seem to largely confirm my original understanding.

But just from my short time here it seems a bit unfair that my first example seems to be a grudgingly tolerated practice by established groups while individuals are at risk of getting reported for preserving their character's safety.

But sure consider my question solved as I believe I understand the rule. Thanks