Server time: 2018-12-17, 15:54
Sign in to follow this  
Nathan the Forum Bot

"The Book of Chernarus" - Pre-Outbreak Lore

-snip-

y am I just seeing this now... Holy fuck

Amazing work! Love it! 12/10

Amazing work! I love to read things like this and it makes me happy :D There is the odd spelling mistake but for the quantity of work and to such a high standard, I can ignore them :) 10/10 work here, very impressed!

Amazing work! I love to read things like this and it makes me happy :D There is the odd spelling mistake but for the quantity of work and to such a high standard, I can ignore them :) 10/10 work here, very impressed!

If you can point them out to me it would be great, but yeah a lot of writing plus being eastern European kind of tends to take effect on my spelling :D

If you can point them out to me it would be great, but yeah a lot of writing plus being eastern European kind of tends to take effect on my spelling :D

There are a couple scattered over the place (a common one is the use of "tho" instead of "though") but it doesn't make it hard to read. It's some really good work here, FlashCrack.

The only thing I have a question about is the whole "war that never was" of 2009 - it doesn't make much sense to me, the purpose of this or it's realism. Is that just a reference to Razer Team's mission, or the war as a whole? Because there'd be no way you'd be able to cover up a conflict of this scale - the internet was obviously around in 2009 and there'd have definitely been journalists & reporters all over the place, not to mention the bombing in Moscow. It's a weird addition to an otherwise very good lore.

I don't mean to take away from your work, I really like it. But imo that part should be removed or be changed so it's just Razer Team's information that's being locked away (unless that's what you meant in the first place :P ). Great job all the same!

Military of the Republic of Chernarus - Military

200px-CDFEmblemLarge.png?version=dc7e2c1

Chernarussian Defence Force

The Chernarussian Defence Force (Chernarussian: Černoruská Obranné Síly; Russian: Силы Oбороны Черноруссии) commonly refereed to as the CDF represents the Armed Forces of the Republic of Chernarus. The Commander in Chief is the President of Chernarus and the Ministry of Defence is in charge of political leadership while overall military command remains in the hands of the Defence Staff, headed by the Chief of the Defence. There are three main branches, consisting of the Land Forces, Air Forces and the Naval Forces and the term "Chernarussian Defence Force" encompasses them all together.

250px-ChernarusForcesFlagLarge.png?versi

Flag of the Chernarussian Defence Force

The Chernarussian Defence Forces are headquartered in Novigrad, where most of the Defence staff is based. The CDF was formed shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Independence of Chernarus, it has been officially formed on the 23rd of February 1991 nearly 20 days after the Independence of Chernarus. Then it utilized mainly Soviet Equipment and had an abundance of leftover vehicles and equipment, many of which fell into disrepair due to the lack of resources and spare parts needed to maintain the vehicles, some were scrapped and some even sold to other countries across the world. The CDF took heavy steps into modernization after the stabilization of the economy during the first years of the 20th century, steps were undertaken to improve the lives of soldiers and their families, offer healthcare benefits and much better living standards, however this also meant that the size of the military had to be reduced in order to pay for everyone's needs.

Chernarus's total military personnel as of 2014 is 37,100, of which 29,717 (80.1%) are active military personnel and 7,382 (19.9%) are civilian personnel. The Land Forces are the largest branch, with at least 19,663 men serving there. In terms of percentage, 53% of all Army personnel are in the Land Forces, 25% are in the Air Force, 13% are in the Navy and 9% are in the Joint Forces Command.

cdf-soldier.png- Soldiers of the CDF mainly find themselves wearing different variations of the TTsKO uniforms and often equipped with standard AK-74 rifles, flak vests and ballistic helmets.

[align=left]Land Forces

The land forces of Chernarus are the biggest component of the CDF and the military with 19.663 or 53% of all the military personnel, and they are often given the most attention and money for the modernization and maintenance of the equipment. The Land Forces are functionally divided into Deployable and Reserve Forces. Their main functions include deterrence, defence, peace support and crisis management, humanitarian and rescue missions, as well as social functions within Chernarussian society. Active troops in the land forces number about 19,663 men, and reserve troops number about 23,000.

The equipment of the land forces is impressive in terms of numbers, but most of it is nonoperational and scheduled to be scrapped or refurbished and exported to other nations. Chernarus has a military stockpile of about 3,000,000 small arms, models ranging from World War II-era MP-40 machine pistols to modern Steyr AUG, AK-74, HK MP5, HK416 and other assault rifles.

[Image: 6880e70b7cfdb86caa242b97585c38b3.png]Vehicles - The CDF holds a large stockpile of vehicles of many varieties, however most of them are nonoperational or are just used for spare parts, the T-72 is the Main Battle Tank of the CDF and the Land Forces, Chernarus also has a stockpile of earlier tanks such as the T-64 and T-55, whilst tanks such as the T-80 were taken to Russian during the fall back of the Soviet Forces. The CDF also holds a large stockpile of APCs and IFVs which include BTRs of different varieties, ranging from the BTR-40's to the BTR-80's as well as BMP1's and BMP2's. Even with the large amount of equipment and weaponry, there is not enough resources to keep it all running, that is why most of the vehicles are stockpiled, some are sold and others scrapped.

These are the following numbers of active military vehicles in service with the CDF Land Forces:

[align=left]

Main Battle Tanks:

T-72 - 112 [300 in reserve]

Heavy Armored Vehicles:

BMP-2 - 94 [120 in reserve]

BMP-1 - 50 [400 in reserve]

BTR-80 - 10 [10 in reserve]

BTR-70 - 60 [82 in reserve]

BTR-60 - 40 [126 in reserve]

MTLB - 150 [272 in reserve]

Light Armored Vehicles:

BRDM-2: 64 [142 in reserve]

M1114 Humvee: 24

Self-Propelled Artillery:

BM-21 Grad: 60 [57 in reserve]

2S1 Gvozdika: 82 [26 in reserve]

Air Force

The Chernarussian Air Force is quite lacking, only equipped with aging MiG-21 Fighter Jets and Su-25 CAS Aircraft, it employs 25% of all the military personnel found in the CDF. The Air Force is in need of modernization to replace the old MiG-21 Fighter Jets with more modern counterparts. Whilst the aircraft might be outdated and in need of modernization the Airborne Brigade was kept up to date with the latest small arms and equipment, the airborne brigade is station in Novigrad and is equipped with modern HK-416 rifles, Polish Beryl rifles as well as modernized versions of the AK-74 with the ability of mounting optics and other equipment on railings. In service with the Airborne brigade are also BMD vehicles, about a dozen or so BMD-2's and BMD-1's can be seen in service with the brigade, however they are not used often as the new US-supplied Humvee vehicles.

b75e1e3aa3c59f81f00b9fb58af5c20d.png

The pride of the Chernarussian Air-force are its Su-25 Aircraft, which have seen a lot of action during the 2009 South Zagorian conflict, these vehicles, even though old, are still extremely capable of carrying out tasks that they were meant for. 

The Chernarussian Air-Force and Airborne Brigade currently operate:

Aircraft:

Su-25: 23 [12 in reserve]

MiG-21: 12 [5 in reserve]

Helicopters:

Mi-8/Mi-17: 57 [26 in reserve]

Mi-24: 23 [17 in reserve]

Airborne Vehicles:

BMD-2: 15 [8 in reserve]

BMD-1: 27 [12 in reserve]

M1114 Humvee: 28

Navy

The Navy has traditionally been the smallest part of the CDF, after the fall of the Soviet Union most naval vessels fell back along with the rest of the forces, leaving Chernarus with barely any vessels other then river patrol boats, and coastal patrol boats. After the downturn in 1990, the Navy was largely overlooked and received almost no funding. No projects for modernization were carried out until 2005, when a Wielingen class frigate (F912 Wandelaar) was acquired from Belgium. By 2009, Chernarus acquired two more frigates of the same class. The equipment is typical for a small navy, consisting mostly of light multi-purpose vessels – 4 frigates, 3 corvettes, 5 minesweepers, 3 fast missile craft and 2 landing ships. Other equipment includes a coastal defence missile battalion armed with locally modified P-15 Termit missiles, a coastal artillery battery, a naval helicopter airbase and a marine brigade.

Two main operating bases for the Chernarussian Navy are located in Novigrad and Miroslavl'.

071a67b0ed40742e402b85aca960e8ad.png

Some interesting things have been added about the Tisy Military Base, small tidbit of lore.

Great work, as usual, Flash! Though might I suggest instead of posting it as a separate comment, to just make new additions to the original post instead. I think that would make it look cleaner. But whatever the case, keep up the good work!

Great work, as usual, Flash! Though might I suggest instead of posting it as a separate comment, to just make new additions to the original post instead. I think that would make it look cleaner. But whatever the case, keep up the good work!

I agree with Ghooz, and +1 for the story is great.

All of the additions are hyperlinked in the original post at the bottom under the section "Content" from which you can simply click on which part you want to read. The exact reason why it's not all in one post is due to the limit of pictures/spoilers one can have in a single post.

I'm curious, was the Airborne Brigade utilized in the civil war?

Loving the part about CDF! Good work as always, Flash.

I'm curious, was the Airborne Brigade utilized in the civil war?

No it was not. At least not in South Zagoria.

What would be the primary options for University level education in Chernarus?

Guest JeffPatat

I love this lore. It would be great if we could see a movie about it! Sadly enough that will probably never happen.

Looking forward to more :D

I love this lore. It would be great if we could see a movie about it! Sadly enough that will probably never happen.

If you are willing to finance me then I will perhaps.

A movie would be awesome to see.

Very cool! I love things like this, it adds to the richness of the immersion especially as a foreigner who is required to adapt to unknown lands. This is material Clayton would have read on his journeys prior to making it to Chernarus.

One question..I do not see a lot of backstory on the vast wild life (both land and water based) and entomology (study of insects). I have RP'd my character getting sick and having major itching from local plants and insects. Is there any reference to the above as to keep it consistent with my characters ventures?

Very cool! I love things like this, it adds to the richness of the immersion especially as a foreigner who is required to adapt to unknown lands. This is material Clayton would have read on his journeys prior to making it to Chernarus.

One question..I do not see a lot of backstory on the vast wild life (both land and water based) and entomology (study of insects). I have RP'd my character getting sick and having major itching from local plants and insects. Is there any reference to the above as to keep it consistent with my characters ventures?

No we haven't decided to go into that much detail with the Book of Chernarus, however backstory on wildlife, you can use the just above Caucasus area as a reference for the land, and the Black Sea as a reference for water based wild life. As far as major itching from local plants and insects, mosquitoes and nettle are the main cause for that, and how major it is depends on the person in question and how their body reacts to it. But as far as insects go you can also base that around above-Caucasus area or the Bulgaria/South Serbia/Macedonian area what the Geography section was based on.